Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh and for the scab cherry on top of this poo poo sundae, the law that authorizes students to go online rather than in person expires in one month, which means that absent any action from wrestling aficionado Ron Desantis every student in Florida will be back in the classroom come January 2021.

Fuucccck. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

germany's new deaths per day have surpassed the first wave's

Question: Where do people find these graphs? I'd like to browse.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
My roommate and I did the responsible thing and stayed in for thanksgiving, but today he and his partner had guests over to eat in the garage where he had a table set up. I made a comment about how the virus doesn't care if it's thanksgiving or any other day; eating with friends is just as risky. He got pissy about my comment. He feels he's being responsible but the virus legit does not care.

I've been thinking about moving back in with my folks but there's so much to consider. I'm not counting on the situation in the US improving anytime soon. My sister is losing her job too. Thinks are hosed here.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My parents just retired and they plan on visiting Florida and then making their way here to see me in Spring and that's not happening.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So it looks like Australia mostly has the virus under control ........... just in time for bushfire season! NSW is in the middle of a 40°C+ degree heatwave with some places inland getting up to 47°C (116.6°F) and it's not even summer yet. There's already several dozen fires around NSW but most of them are only minor and not much of a worry yet, only one of them is rated "Watch and Act" right now:

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

(There's always some fires burning somewhere in this country)

Fame Douglas posted:

Question: Where do people find these graphs? I'd like to browse.

Here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

SO many graphs!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh and for the scab cherry on top of this poo poo sundae, the law that authorizes students to go online rather than in person expires in one month, which means that absent any action from wrestling aficionado Ron Desantis every student in Florida will be back in the classroom come January 2021.
Yeah I'm pretty confident that he's going to attempt to push more kids back into class in January. He has been indicating that is what he wants, but I don't know if he's going to be able to get parents to support that. The state education director is making similar noise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Huh, turns out Eric Feigl Ding is not actually an infectious diseases epidemiologist and isn't the most reliable source.

https://undark.org/2020/11/25/complicated-rise-of-eric-feigl-ding/

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I’m predicting 350,000 cases of coronavirus as the peak from the post-Thanksgiving rush. What about y’all?

My wife and I are actually thinking of starting the process of moving out of America early because the way it’s going it looks like literally loving everyone is going to get it at this rate.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

We already know two families that left the country because this poo poo clearly isn't ending soon. Both had kids in school which must've been a big factor.

We also told our families to gently caress off with the get together ideas because gently caress becoming a statistic. See you next Fall.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

I’m predicting 350,000 cases of coronavirus as the peak from the post-Thanksgiving rush. What about y’all?

Per day maybe, sure

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kate_ptrv/status/1332398737604431874

https://twitter.com/kate_ptrv/status/1332398763307134977

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/turkey/
:thunk:

quote:

November 26
28,351 asymptomatic cases were announced yesterday for the first time since July. “In line with requests from our people, we plan on including positive cases that do not show symptoms in the daily table” said Health Minister Fahrettin Koca in the press conference.
:jerry:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Per day maybe, sure

Oh yeah of course per day

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Now that's a thanksgiving turkey

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
i don't care to argue this much because i don't give a poo poo about feigl, but the source you posted is upsetting because:

maybe not try to make that particular point with a site that posts lies that are directly provable by clicking the link in the sentence containing the lie

Let's hope it's a china situation where there's a big bump up for a little while due to backdating, and then it settles down again.

(God, it was "interesting" arguing with idiots in this thread who couldn't understand that china had a bump due to added historical cases, not because they had a 10x higher actual case rate.)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 29, 2020

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

quote:

November 26
28,351 asymptomatic cases were announced yesterday for the first time since July. “In line with requests from our people, we plan on including positive cases that do not show symptoms in the daily table” said Health Minister Fahrettin Koca in the press conference.

Humanity is very stupid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

canyoneer posted:

Huh, turns out Eric Feigl Ding is not actually an infectious diseases epidemiologist and isn't the most reliable source.

https://undark.org/2020/11/25/complicated-rise-of-eric-feigl-ding/

Feigl‐Ding has embraced Cunningham’s Law, and I respect that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/SyedAAhmad5/status/1332846905114701824

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Countdown to a broken hospital worker opening fire in a crowded restaurant.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Countdown to a broken hospital worker opening fire in a crowded restaurant.

That just makes more patients. Maybe a bulldozer through the dining room after close.

I haven't heard much about outdoor schooling lately. Maybe the outdoor dining made them realize how cold it is already.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

That just makes more patients

Do nurses get paid overtime?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

AHH F/UGH posted:

My wife and I are actually thinking of starting the process of moving out of America early because the way it’s going it looks like literally loving everyone is going to get it at this rate.
Where would/can you go at this point that's worth it in terms of covid safety? It seems like moving to a different country is awfully challenging unless you have family living there or are a citizen who's repatriating.

america.txt

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Guy Axlerod posted:

That just makes more patients.

Not if you do it right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guy Axlerod posted:

That just makes more patients. Maybe a bulldozer through the dining room after close.

I haven't heard much about outdoor schooling lately. Maybe the outdoor dining made them realize how cold it is already.

If we stop eating in this restaurant that has an active shooter in it, the terrorists win.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Now that the first plane load of vaccine has arrived in America, how long before the entire shipment is ruined in distribution due to a mixup with Celsius/Farenheit ?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Baconroll posted:

Now that the first plane load of vaccine has arrived in America, how long before the entire shipment is ruined in distribution due to a mixup with Celsius/Farenheit ?

Nah, that just makes it more effective. You know, winning attitude and all.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baconroll posted:

More likely to be ruined by intentional sabotage tbh. There are enough dumbasses out there that think the vaccine was withheld to make Trump look bad, so by sabotaging it they think they will make Biden look bad.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

I clicked on his twitter to see where he's from (Ohio) and the first tweet on there is him responding to some racist fuckwit

I want out. I never agreed to share a country with loving ohio

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm having a normal one, yelling at the football people on TV that their masks need to cover their noses

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like deaths are falling dangerously below the acceptable threshold, better reopen shops, bars and restaurants on Thursday! :downsbravo:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

Where would/can you go at this point that's worth it in terms of covid safety? It seems like moving to a different country is awfully challenging unless you have family living there or are a citizen who's repatriating.

My wife is Japanese so I can escape to animeland, even though its getting worse there again as well

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So it's starting to come out just how much the Canadian government hosed up its covid vaccine planning.

The TL:DR of things is that early on they put all their eggs in one basket and signed contracts with China to supply it all. Mainly because it was cheaper and it might help smooth over some ongoing issues with political prisoners (spoiler: it didn't).

Well since that went bust fast, for Plan B instead of going to the big pharmaceuticals like Pfizer, they decide to invest in some fly-by-night outfit in Quebec that promised to be able to supply the entire country in-house.

Turns out that was also a dumb mistake, so then Canada was forced to get in line behind all the other countries in the world that had already signed contracts with real companies.

So in the end Canadians will be ones of the last to see vaccine for the general public distribution, which is lookin like September 2021 at this point.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
^^ I know it’s only one company but the Moderna chairman has said Canada is not at the “back of the line” and 20 million doses have been ordered, with option to get 35 million more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-vaccine-moderna-covid-19-hadju-health-1.5821166

Sounds like they expect to have 3 million people vaccinated by early 2021, and they are hoping everyone who wants a vaccine can get one by September. Hopefully it moves faster than that though. I’m hoping other companies are getting to the point that Moderna Pfizer etc are at.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vakal posted:

The TL:DR of things is that early on they put all their eggs in one basket and signed contracts with China to supply it all. Mainly because it was cheaper and it might help smooth over some ongoing issues with political prisoners (spoiler: it didn't).

FYI, it has nothing to do with political prisoners and everything to do with the Liberals trying to open the friendly Chinese donation floodgates. I did an effort post about it in the China thread, but basically it's...

Conservatives got their money (and still do get their money) from boomers who stuff $50-200 in an envelope. Liberals used to get their money from businesses donating large sums, and the NDP from unions. The rules have gradually been changing so that it's basically impossible for a single org or person, or several dozen to donate enough money to make a difference (Harper essentially tried to starve the other parties out of existence). With the ~$1400 cap, you need hundreds-thousands of donors to make a difference. This is where China comes into play. With CCP support, they might send word down the wire that all loyal "friends" in Canada should make a donation to the party that would benefit China. This could potentially be worth millions in financial support.

Trudeau has been chasing this dream for a while, but the Meng case has all but killed it. That's why he's trying to hang onto Huawei, trying to cozy up to the CCP, why he mailed a shitload of PPE to China, and why he was hoping to get the vaccine from China. He's only paid the smallest, most hushed lip service to the two Michaels because he has to or else the news will crucify him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

If we stop eating in this restaurant that has an active shooter in it, the terrorists win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4KFNhxibec

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Local talk show rear end in a top hat Broomhead (seriously that is his name, like a Dick Tracy villain) has been saying that once we get the vaccine, all first line responders should get it, then people with health issues, and then open to the general public. MAYBE essential workers before the general but that's a big maybe.

He's spent the past six months raging that if you know you can die from it (ie you're over 60) then stay home and that the real spreaders are all anti-Trumper young people who won't die and thus don't care if they get it.

gently caress that noise. First line responders and essential workers should get it first. I cannot tell you how many times I do a delivery and the fucker opens the door without a mask on. And the fact there still isn't a mask mandate in my state because the governor just says to wash your hands and wear a mask, while pushing for kids to go back to school, doesn't help.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The dog grooming salon at my wife's work just closed down because someone tested positive, but the rest of the store is still going strong. Yaaaay

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Blistex posted:

FYI, it has nothing to do with political prisoners and everything to do with the Liberals trying to open the friendly Chinese donation floodgates. I did an effort post about it in the China thread, but basically it's...

Thanks, I assumed their were more shenanigans going on than they were admitting to.

I've seen it stated that so far Canada has spent more than double on covid than other countries with double the population. This wouldn't be so bad if our case numbers were kept low, but with the way things are going its looking to be a total waste.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Sorry about your embezzlement Canada. Doesn't the cold kill Cov19?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Can anyone help me with arguing with parents re: COVID?

My Mom & Dad are both around 70, both super liberal / believe the virus is real, and are mostly staying inside and quarantining. The issue is that I have 3 siblings, and they keep visiting. My brother and his wife are planning on coming to stay with my parents for a month next weekend; last week they were at his wife's family house for Thanksgiving. They say its fine cause her family was quarantining, and they're going to not stop inside anywhere during their 16 hour car ride to my parents, but it seems.... very not fine. This same couple traveled from NYC to stay with my parents right before the NYC lockdown went in place, so I don't have a lot of trust in them.

My parents think my brother quarantining in their house is fine because it's 5,000 square feet and my brother and his wife will just stay on the first floor, my parents on the third floor, and they'll disinfect the shared kitchen space on the second floor, but my understanding is that HVAC systems can spread the virus; they say it is just like living in an apartment building, so its fine.

Am I being overly cautious or are they taking risks?