Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wdarkk posted:

If I want to see some good Obari work that isn’t Gundam, what are my options? Preferably something I can stream with at least subtitles.

You're generally going to be looking at older work, because I think the last non-Gundam show he worked on was 2010's SRW: OG cartoon. Earlier than that he worked on Dancougar Nova and the Gravion shows. I'm not sure exactly which are still available through what service, but I think they're generally out there.

Do be aware that these shows are horny, so keep that in mind if you're streaming.

Also note that they're kind of mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

He did Detonator Orgun too but yeah that’s about it besides his recent Gundam stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

Do be aware that these shows are horny,

is there another reason to watch Obari??

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Light Gun Man posted:

is there another reason to watch Obari??

he also does some cool robots!!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm horny for cool robots.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Potsticker posted:

I'm horny for cool robots.

:hmmyes:

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Started watching the TV version of Escaflowne and I dig how they make the mechs fit into the fantasy setting. The Escaflowne is made with technology you need to consult ancient texts to understand and runs on dragon energy and if you're strong enough you can fight off a mech with a big sword since they're not that much bigger than people. I've heard the "mech=samurai armor" metaphor a lot and this makes it work well.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Technically there’s only like one guy who fights mechs on foot, but he’s such an unbelievable loving badass for doing it that he’s referenced for it through the entire series

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/takanasu05/status/1273586316626628608

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Started watching the TV version of Escaflowne and I dig how they make the mechs fit into the fantasy setting. The Escaflowne is made with technology you need to consult ancient texts to understand and runs on dragon energy and if you're strong enough you can fight off a mech with a big sword since they're not that much bigger than people. I've heard the "mech=samurai armor" metaphor a lot and this makes it work well.

On the dvd they have some cast interviews/making of stuff and they mention how they had to make all kinds of brand new sound effects for the emchs instead of re-using the same ones they'd been using for all their other mech shows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Escaflowne film is a completely different thing from the TV show with a completely different aesthetic, incidentally. It's worth checking out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apart from New Getter Robo, what are the best animated Getter Robo works?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

There are only 6 Getter animes in total: the original and G which are both 70s MOTW shows with all that that entails, Getter Robo Go which I admittedly haven't watched but is infamously bad, and then the 3 OVAs that I assume you're at least somewhat familiar with already.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getter armageddon is a mess but it's pretty fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

There are only 6 Getter animes in total: the original and G which are both 70s MOTW shows with all that that entails, Getter Robo Go which I admittedly haven't watched but is infamously bad, and then the 3 OVAs that I assume you're at least somewhat familiar with already.

I watched an episode of Go. It was basically another 70s MOTW show, only it came out in 1991, after Gundam, Patlabor, and so many more. It's just a wannabe Mazinger.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Joke answer: Gunbuster

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Let Jung Freud pilot Black Getter in SRW :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Gurren-Lagann.

No, seriously. It's insane reading the Getter Robo manga and realizing how Gurren-Lagann really is the best Getter Robo adaptation. It's not even subtle about how much it takes from it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gurren-Lagann.

No, seriously. It's insane reading the Getter Robo manga and realizing how Gurren-Lagann really is the best Getter Robo adaptation. It's not even subtle about how much it takes from it.

Gurren Lagann owes basically its entire existence to Getter Robo, even its visual style during intense story and action beats is super, super similar to the getter OVAs like Armageddon.

Anyway here's a question for the thread: Talking about anime with a friend who's not really into mecha stuff they asked me if there were any series with LGBT+ representation (specifically leaning towards the L, but in general as well) and I found myself drawing a blank because I can't honestly think of too many series I've watched featuring much representation, or handled it well if they did.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Off the top of my head:
  • Aquarion is based around a jilted love triangle with multiple males involved, and Aquarion EVOL has possibly the only acknowledgement of a trans relationship I can think of in mecha anime(though it backs out on it in the end, it still happens on screen and it's treated positively).
  • Godannar has a pilot pairing which are fairly obviously a lesbian couple(though the show never calls it out loud).
  • Iron Blooded Orphans has a secondary character with a fair amount of screen time who is extremely gay and the show is totally all right with this; two of the female leads also get involved in a polyamorous relationship which includes each other.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Gurren Lagann owes basically its entire existence to Getter Robo, even its visual style during intense story and action beats is super, super similar to the getter OVAs like Armageddon.

Anyway here's a question for the thread: Talking about anime with a friend who's not really into mecha stuff they asked me if there were any series with LGBT+ representation (specifically leaning towards the L, but in general as well) and I found myself drawing a blank because I can't honestly think of too many series I've watched featuring much representation, or handled it well if they did.

Well, for confirmed content recently, there's Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

One of the Gundam pilots is bi, the female lead goes home to her wife in the timeskip epilogue, and a Gundam pilot in the spin-off has a lesbian arranged marriage set up. (doesn't work out due to politics, but she's portrayed as one of the more sympathetic Gjallarhorn characters, and she survives the whole mess she gets involved in.)

It's a relatively small part of the plot, but the characters involved are likable and well developed, and it's just treated as something about them, not some strange defining trait. Some guys in Tekkadan work to support family back home, some like to make graffiti, one of their mechanics has prosthetic legs, and another is into dudes. You know. Takes all kinds to make a world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuebot posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster lay it on pretty firmly although that's probably in the B end of the spectrum. Simoun is more "fighter planes" than "mecha" exactly...

Code Geass, although I'm not sure you'd call that "positive" representation. Thanks, CLAMP!

Leeron in Gurren Lagann although he's not a pilot. Bobby in Macross Frontier.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I've watched some of those myself and they slipped my mind completely, but I really do need to finish watching IBO one day soon. I know my friend *knows* things like Gunbuster and Diebuster exist since Diebuster was done by the FLCL guy and they're a huge fan of that; so they might be receptive to giving that a go. Compiling a small list of these, because it's nice to know some series have some representation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster lay it on pretty firmly although that's probably in the B end of the spectrum. Simoun is more "fighter planes" than "mecha" exactly...

Code Geass, although I'm not sure you'd call that "positive" representation. Thanks, CLAMP!

Leeron in Gurren Lagann although he's not a pilot. Bobby in Macross Frontier.

I considered mentioning Diebuster as a maybe, but Gunbuster's pretty clearly a no. All three of the female leads are into dudes, (Noriko has a whirlwind romance with another pilot that provides significant motivation later, while Jung and Kazumi both are way into the Coach) with the pseudo romantic scenes between Noriko and Kazumi early on portrayed as, basically, "Kazumi is really cool!" rather than "I want to kiss Kazumi on the mouth at first opportunity!".

For older stuff that gets... uncomfortable, there's Kannazuki no Miko, AKA Destiny of the Shrine Maiden, which is definitely yuri, but also has some rape in the main pairing, and Iczer-one, which started as a hentai.

More recently, there's Granbelm, which I haven't watched past the first episode. Heard mixed things about it (including on the whole unfortunate character tropes front), but it is a hand drawn magical girl mech anime, so... you know. It's a thing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s pretty old now but Iczer is lesbian as hell.

Like the above post says though there are some parts that are rough because it has some body horror stuff and the manga was made for a pervier magazine.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 30, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

No one's mentioned SSSS.Gridman yet?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What I'm saying is the next Gundam needs to star a lesbian.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

MonsieurChoc posted:

What I'm saying is the next Gundam needs to star a lesbian.

I was going to say 'a female pilot-led show by itself would be a big step for Gundam' but I was forgetting about 0080's Christina McKenzie

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Christina is technically the antagonist of 0080 though.

Cross Ange flirts with the idea of the lead having that kind of sexuality, but it's also Cross Ange so deserves the same kind of warning as Kannazuki no Miko.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Justin_Brett posted:

Cross Ange flirts with the idea of the lead having that kind of sexuality, but it's also Cross Ange so deserves the same kind of warning as Kannazuki no Miko.

I haven't seen it but at least in SRW Ange is explicitly bi and poly, however she does spend more time with her boyfriend than her girlfriend.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh yeah, Cross Ange has an explicitly lesbian poly relationship. It's Cross Ange, so very explicitly, but iirc it's not just titillation, they actually do get into the dynamics a bit with one of the girls being in love with another but thinking she likes the third more, something like that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

But yeah if you're gonna recommend Cross Ange, remember to add a big asterisk because the main villain is rapey as fuuuuuuuuck

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Siegkrow posted:

But yeah if you're gonna recommend Cross Ange, remember to add a big asterisk because the main villain is rapey as fuuuuuuuuck

Cross Ange is one of those shows that I absolutely would recommend to people without all the sexual violence.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cross ange was really funny for an episode or two but pretty quickly even in a "watch it because it's hilariously bad" context the sexual elements are more than a bit much

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

The best way to experience it is SRW where they dedicate entire stages to nothing but dunking on him, including stages in multiple games where every single female cast member makes it clear he is a worthless pathetic scumbag.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pyronic posted:

Cross Ange is one of those shows that I absolutely would recommend to people without all the sexual violence.

So Super Robot Wars V/X.

ImpAtom posted:

The best way to experience it is SRW where they dedicate entire stages to nothing but dunking on him, including stages in multiple games where every single female cast member makes it clear he is a worthless pathetic scumbag.

Basically this. The final battle with him in SRW V has the entire female cast calling him a lovely awful creepy loser and his response is to go into an Incel rant about how he's GOING TO GO HIS OWN WAY!

Then you kill him.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Embyro kinda falls flat when his counterpart is Tusk who is just as gross but in the harem protagonist way. Like “oops tripped into your crotch” and “gotta tie Ange to the bed naked for some reason to search her for weapons!”

Cross Ange is a bad stupid show but is almost amusing in it’s awfulness.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Siegkrow posted:

Not to mention the warning that every Hirai show since SEED has needed regarding gross out of place gorn that does not fit the artist's style at all

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Embyro kinda falls flat when his counterpart is Tusk who is just as gross but in the harem protagonist way. Like “oops tripped into your crotch” and “gotta tie Ange to the bed naked for some reason to search her for weapons!”

Another point for SRW: Tusk is barely in it in basically any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Omnicrom posted:

So Super Robot Wars V/X.

Basically this. The final battle with him in SRW V has the entire female cast calling him a lovely awful creepy loser and his response is to go into an Incel rant about how he's GOING TO GO HIS OWN WAY!

Then you kill him.

Had a lot of these screenshots before but here's one from a recent play of X

It's good poo poo every time.