Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Main character named Rick "nutrust" Unix (a play on Reginald Linux, one of the Early Slowweb's first viral stars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
In Ready Player Goon I want to be Geddy Gandalf.
I'm going to fly around the Oasis in Airwolf.

E: R2D2 will be my co-pilot and I totally speak droid. My avatar will definitely have a denim jacket. And there will be a boombox, just sitting around in Airwolf as needed.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 29, 2020

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Going to steal all the posts in this thread to make Ready Player Goon, an erotic pop culture referencing book

Thanks suckers

Actually I copyrighted pacmans humming fuckhole so you owe me

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Ror posted:

My sister got me the first book a couple Christmases ago accompanied by the bone-chilling "this book is SO you!" I didn't have the heart to tell her what I thought about it but I might have to if she gets me the second one.

Did she also tell you that you should totally watch The Big Bang Theory because there's this character who's just like you in it?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Technocrat posted:

I read the first book before finding out the broad consensus about it, and I was originally convinced that it was like American Psycho, written from the perspective of a self-centered protagonist who doesn't get just how terrible the world outside has become thanks to universal Oasis addiction.

With RP2, it turns out that the first was actually a wholehearted endorsement of this societal malady

There's a reason Palmer Luckey gave a copy to every employee at Oculus and essentially forced them to read it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

The insanity of these stupid books is such

that every single post in this thread could plausibly be true

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
StarChild felt the brim of his shock-white hat-- a nanoreplica of the iconic one worn by Michael Jackson in Moonwalker-- and surveyed the jump. He knew his Bionic Arm from the NES game Bionic Commando could bridge the gap, but he also knew that in the 20 years since it was discovered, no one had been able to nail the final jump of the "Henry Jones, Jr. Commemorative Archeolobstacle Course".

There had to be something he missed.

Reaching into his Captain N jacket, he pulled out Brett Hart's iconic holovisor, which he had personally modified to be a full-spectrum analyst tapping into the World's code files. It immediately caused a feedback loop that made the environment swim and ripple. He'd gone fuzzy.

This wouldn't be easy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

ErrEff posted:

There's a reason Palmer Luckey gave a copy to every employee at Oculus and essentially forced them to read it.

God, I couldn't remember if it was Luckey or Musk that gave a copy to all his employees. Somehow this is funnier..

Whatever happened to Occlus after they got bought by facebook

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Happy Landfill posted:

God, I couldn't remember if it was Luckey or Musk that gave a copy to all his employees. Somehow this is funnier..

Palmer now runs a cool new defense contractor and calls me pathetic on facebook, despite naming his company after a lord of the rings reference. He also hosted post covid trump at his mansion for a fundraiser.

edit: musk did not hand out rp1 books. He did send everyone to The Martian though

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Zeinin posted:

Palmer now runs a cool new defense contractor and calls me pathetic on facebook, despite naming his company after a lord of the rings reference. He also hosted post covid trump at his mansion for a fundraiser.

edit: musk did not hand out rp1 books. He did send everyone to The Martian though

This is about what I expected, honestly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I just loving love that in the movie they spend a strange amount of time in The Shining, like yeah it was 1980 but who the hell sees it as an 80s movie in the same vein as breakfast club

like yeah gamer wars

atari poo poo

Doing the underwear shuffle from the money movie with Tom Cruise

goofing off like Ferris Bueller

getting chased by the naked old lady from the Shining

wait what

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I just loving love that in the movie they spend a strange amount of time in The Shining, like yeah it was 1980 but who the hell sees it as an 80s movie in the same vein as breakfast club

like yeah gamer wars

atari poo poo

Doing the underwear shuffle from the money movie with Tom Cruise

goofing off like Ferris Bueller

getting chased by the naked old lady from the Shining

wait what

Warner didn't have the rights to War Games, so they subbed in The Shining.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Happy Landfill posted:

Bezos also loves the poo poo outta the book, amazoo executives have to read it or they're ostracized. Bezos doesn't give out the book tho because Amazon is cheap as gently caress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Happy Landfill posted:

lets just say they pre-ordered Oculus on the hype when they should have waited for reviews

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
https://twitter.com/AngstHarrier/status/1333488705848311810

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 30, 2020

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"Woah, are you guys seeing this?"

The Death Star rose over the horizon like a metallic sun, huge and foreboding. The laser array began to glow green, even from thousands of miles away it was a terrifying sight.

"Oh no, it's aimed right at us!" said Cheetara. "Not even I'm fast enough to outrun this. Our planet is doomed!"

All around, people were crying in terror, hugging loved ones. A few brave ones tried to keep a brave face. Sonic was handing out chili dogs as a final feast, while Gizmo was leading dozens in a prayer service. He had become an ordained minister several months ago, but never expected to have to use his skills like this.

"Now hold on just a second, this isn't the end!" said Wade, who was the bravest person ever to enter OASIS and also had a huge penis. "This is just the beginning. A great man once said 'Never give up, never surrender!' That was me, I'm saying it right now."

The crowd began to murmur, then cheer, then starting an elaborate choreographed dance to show their admiration for Wade.

"Wade, I love you. Please come back to me in one piece." said Jessica Rabbit.

"Don't worry, I will. Roger might not have known what he had, but I do. He might have been content to drink away his life in some bar in the middle of nowhere, but I'm only happy around you, babe." Wade gave Jessica one final passionate kiss, then starting running as fast as he could. He tapped into the digital code of the OASIS to make himself faster than light, then launched himself at the Death Star.

"Hey, Skeletor? I know you can't hear me because I'm moving faster than light, but I hope this hurts... a lot!"

Wade altered the digital code even more to make himself weigh thousands of pounds (he was normally a very healthy weight) and to make himself invulnerable. He hit the Death Star with an almost infinite amount of force, causing it to explode.

Back on the surface, Muldoon from Jurassic Park looked up.

"Wow, what a clever move. Pure genius."

"Yes," replied the Toxic Avenger. "And it makes more sense than if, say, this happened in a movie and you were trying to steer a ship through faster-than-light travel into another ship in some kind of suicide move."

"Agreed," replied Brainy Smurf, who was wiping tears of joy from his eyes. "It's also worth noting that writing a novel takes a long time and any ideas that might appear to be copied from, let's say, a movie were probably inside the author's head for much longer than that. If you choose to call the author a hack, the burden of proof falls on you to discover exactly WHEN the author first had this idea. Oh, what's that? You can't? That's what I thought."

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

The insanity of these stupid books is such

that every single post in this thread could plausibly be true

"Later skater!" I felt myself exclaim as I pressed the tiny red button (a clever joke by the suit designers, referencing the ominous "Big Red Button" in the 80s anime Pinky and the Brain) which summoned my exclusive, one of a kind replica Tony Hawk custom skateboard - upgraded, naturally, with small rocket jets and decorated with stickers of my favorite 80s bands (They Might Be Giants and Harvey Danger)

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I have a ready player one story for the thread. When I used to work maintenance we had allot of downtime so we’d bring in books to read, well the guy working the other shift brought in a book called Ready Player One and being bored one day i flipped through it and laughed my rear end off at it. The next day i was pretty pumped to roast him for liking it but he had been fired. In conclusion do not read Ernest Cline or your career will suffer

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
imagine how you'd feel if you spent all your time trying to get famous in the nerd realm and when you finally do it's because you plagiarized GameMasterAnthony.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Actually I copyrighted pacmans humming fuckhole so you owe me

Pacman's loving humhole

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Do you think pac man would stop sucking u off after you came or would he just keepin on suckin?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Pacman's loving humhole

Love it. One note, how about Manpac's loving humhole.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

massive spider posted:

The whole thing:

Is this a poem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrvAnPKv4Ro

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

runnypoops posted:

Do you think pac man would stop sucking u off after you came or would he just keepin on suckin?

do NOT allow pacman to suck your dick, as soon as he notices your balls he's gonna eat them

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I posted real excerpts from the book, nobody would believe they were real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

After Purple Rain Prince and his two attack doves finished their bombing run, Cloud Suit Prince descended. This incarnation wore a sky-blue suit covered in white clouds. And he apparently had the ability to turn his suit invisible and phase-shift, rendering him immune to our attacks.

Cloud Suit Prince seemed especially pissed-off at me, and focused all his vocal attacks on my avatar. It took me a few minutes to figure out why: it was his Cloud Guitar that I was holding, and he wanted it back.

Cloud Suit Prince was singing a song from 1984 called “I Would Die 4 U.” But he altered the lyrics of its chorus slightly, so what I heard was, “You will. Die for. Me. Yeah! That is how it’s gonna be!” Each rapid-fire chord he strummed on his Mad Cat fired another sonic blast down at me, like a gunfighter fanning the barrel of his six-shooter.

Aech referred to the next Prince in the attack conga line as Gett Off Prince. This one was dressed in a tight-fitting yellow lace suit with two circles cut out in the rear to expose his bare rear end cheeks. Thankfully he didn’t fire any sonic attacks from them. Those came from his yellow guitar, which looked identical to mine, aside from the color.

I thought I was hallucinating when the next Prince descended on us. Aech referred to him as “Gemini.” Shoto called him “Partyman.” My image-recognition software’s best guess was “Batdance Prince.” To me, he looked like the villain Two-Face, except that he was Batman on the left half and the green-haired Joker on his right half. He hurled joke bombs from one hand and batarangs from the other, then swooped back up and away, to dodge our counterattacks.

quote:

“Hey,” I said. “Wouldn’t we get there faster…in a Ferrari?”

I pointed to the woods behind Jake Ryan’s house. There, visible through the trees, was a secluded house on stilts. I recognized it as Cameron Frye’s residence. And from here, we could see the separate glass-walled garage at the back of the house.

“Forget it,” Art3mis said. “Cameron’s dad has a state-of-the-art security system. You can only steal that car in the daytime, with the keys and with Cameron’s help. If you try to steal it now, you’ll end up in the Shermer jail, with the kid from Reach the Rock. It’s easy enough to escape, but we’d waste thirty minutes.” She smiled. “We could steal the same Ferrari from Alec Baldwin, in a church parking lot just a few blocks from here,” she said, pointing off to the south. Then she glanced at her watch. “But the Briggs-Bainbridge wedding doesn’t start for another hour. Sorry, but I’m afraid Mr. Ryan’s Rolls-Royce is our best option at the moment.”

“Fine,” I muttered. “We’ll take this brown poo poo box.”

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I genuinely cannot tell what is a real excerpt and what is not.

I have a high school classmate that I exchange emails with occasionally (I wouldn't quite call him a friend) who is very excited that Ready Player Two is coming out. I can forgive him some, I guess, because he's literally a shut-in due to a slow moving ALS sort of illness and is probably the sort of person who would really enjoy the OASIS, but I think we're about to have a discussion about the portrayal of female characters.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

There is a whole lot going on in that regarding trans and stuff that I can't articulate so I'm just going to quote the stand out sentence of "all different kinds if sex".

All different kinds of sex.

You love to hate it, it's like he's reading off an instruction manual.

You know, all different kinds of sex. Nothing surprises me. I know all the kinds of sex.

theres just regular and mouth and butt, right

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bird with big dick posted:

theres just regular and mouth and butt, right

Expand your mind.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I genuinely cannot tell what is a real excerpt and what is not.

I have a high school classmate that I exchange emails with occasionally (I wouldn't quite call him a friend) who is very excited that Ready Player Two is coming out. I can forgive him some, I guess, because he's literally a shut-in due to a slow moving ALS sort of illness and is probably the sort of person who would really enjoy the OASIS, but I think we're about to have a discussion about the portrayal of female characters.

Ok well the rest of us were joking around.

So.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

If I posted real excerpts from the book, nobody would believe they were real.

I refuse to believe that Ernest Cline is cool enough to even know that Prince had a song called "Gett Off"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Simone Magus posted:

I refuse to believe that Ernest Cline is cool enough to even know that Prince had a song called "Gett Off"

Prince is the enemy boss though. Cline is obviously working out his repressed hate that he totally didn't get Prince back in the 1980s. In the first book Rush was a big plot point, because that was Cline's jam. As you'd expect from the whitest guy to ever whrite.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

ernest cline does not know how revolvers work

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wall Balls posted:

ernest cline does not know how revolvers work

Ernest Cline doesn't know how most things work except a word processor.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

Even that is debatable

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I want to know why this specific terrible crossover fanfiction got really popular. There are a lot of terrible crossover fanfictions out there, there always have been, but why has this specific one become mainstream. Also how does it stand legally when its making money off of other company's IPs, is that allowed? Can you just write a book and bank off of everyone else's poo poo with little/no effort of your own and just become a millionaire? If so why havent more people made their horrible crossover fics into dollars? When is the superwholock/twilight/MLP omegaverse movie coming out?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

including the English language. Christ, his prose is so singularly, staggeringly loving wretched

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Bismuth posted:

I want to know why this specific terrible crossover fanfiction got really popular. There are a lot of terrible crossover fanfictions out there, there always have been, but why has this specific one become mainstream. Also how does it stand legally when its making money off of other company's IPs, is that allowed? Can you just write a book and bank off of everyone else's poo poo with little/no effort of your own and just become a millionaire? If so why havent more people made their horrible crossover fics into dollars? When is the superwholock/twilight/MLP omegaverse movie coming out?

Most crossover fanfic isn't a mash-up of hundreds of movies/games/whatever, most of it is "what if Harry Potter AND Star Wars???" Short references to other works probably falls under fair use, while writing a new "Harry Potter as a Jedi" novel clearly doesn't. That's why Fifty Shades of Grey was rewritten for publication (it was originally a Twilight fanfic).

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

jkk posted:

Most crossover fanfic isn't a mash-up of hundreds of movies/games/whatever, most of it is "what if Harry Potter AND Star Wars???" Short references to other works probably falls under fair use, while writing a new "Harry Potter as a Jedi" novel clearly doesn't. That's why Fifty Shades of Grey was rewritten for publication (it was originally a Twilight fanfic).

"short" references maybe, but the book's entire foundation is referencing other properties, I feel like disney or hasbro could add up every reference to one of their properties and come up with 1/3+ of the book that is entirely using them as life support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Bismuth posted:

I want to know why this specific terrible crossover fanfiction got really popular. There are a lot of terrible crossover fanfictions out there, there always have been, but why has this specific one become mainstream.

Harry Knowles championed it and used his platform to make the deals happen after Cline's film Fanboys got made. Him and Cline are longtime friends since the early days of Knowles' Butt-Numb-A-Thon film festival.