Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fermented foods taste better than almost anything else. if you dont know how to appreciate something like surstromming or natto or century egg you need to develop your palate and man up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A baby palate is when you need strong tastes, and also believe talking about the tastes you like doesn't make you seem like a little kid. An adult palate is when you can appreciate subtle tastes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fermented foods have the most subtle tastes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shibawanko posted:

fermented foods taste better than almost anything else. if you dont know how to appreciate something like surstromming or natto or century egg you need to develop your palate and man up

"Manning up" as well as "growing up" are almost always used by people who are worried they haven't done either and believe that everyone else should do both.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nah it just means you have to man up

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man up is a great phrase that people take a worrying amount of offence too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Can't take my great phrase? What are you - a girl?"
:goonsay:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ranch dressing is good sometimes

idontpoast
Jul 10, 2020

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goyim who "love Israel" but also whine about "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" are the only people who should be extrajudicially removed by Mossad

What in the gently caress is this poo poo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Americans have surströmming??

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Americans have surströmming??

netherlands

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't have any evidence to back this up but I strongly believe that a solid majority of nurses have secretly killed at least one patient under their care.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

nah it just means you have to man up

And what does that actually mean? What actions require it? What thoughts preclude it?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Josef bugman posted:

And what does that actually mean? What actions require it? What thoughts preclude it?

It means he wants a man up his bottom.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I don't have any evidence to back this up but I strongly believe that a solid majority of nurses have secretly killed at least one patient under their care.

Please do not become a nurse.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Josef bugman posted:

over-reacting to an otherwise trivial problem

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

What, you mean like on purpose?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

you just, like, man up

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Man up" just means to carry on through with something even if it isn't going your way or is difficult.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Man up" just means to carry on through with something even if it isn't going your way or is difficult.

my wife manning up to deliver our child

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Exactly! It's genderless if used correctly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Obviously "man up" is a gender neutral positive and "don't be a woman" is gender neutral negative.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Regular popcorn, just the standard butter and salt movie theater style, not the fancy caramel stuff, is a very low tier snack.

christmas boots posted:

What, you mean like on purpose?

yes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

you just, like, man up

And that means to do, or to fail to do, what?

What does it mean to "man up"?

Solice Kirsk posted:

But surely the correct thing to do is check to make sure your doing it the right way if that is what is happening?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

What does it mean to "man up"?

have an erection

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

But surely the correct thing to do is check to make sure your doing it the right way if that is what is happening?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I mean if something is difficult you don't just keep doing it, you look and see why it is difficult and try and change it if possible. Then you keep at it.

Have I been doing this wrong?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you could say sack up instead. presumably women have some kind of sack, I don't know

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I mean if something is difficult you don't just keep doing it, you look and see why it is difficult and try and change it if possible. Then you keep at it.

Have I been doing this wrong?

Nope, you've been manning up just fine. Good work.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

“Man up” is to do something you are dreading and don’t want to do. For instance, if talking on the phone to a person causes you extreme distress and anxiety where you have to recover for the rest of the day you man up and answer the phone when your mom calls you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

“Man up” is to do something you are dreading and don’t want to do. For instance, if talking on the phone to a person causes you extreme distress and anxiety where you have to recover for the rest of the day you man up and answer the phone when your mom calls you.

I will not

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sounds like someone is manning down. Here's an illustration:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Both the Borg and cylon virus plans were genocide, and putting them into motion would have made Starfleet and the human colonists no better than their enemies. Picard was right not to infect Hugh with the virus, and Helo was right to stop the cylon virus scheme before it could be executed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Both the Borg and cylon virus plans were genocide, and putting them into motion would have made Starfleet and the human colonists no better than their enemies. Picard was right not to infect Hugh with the virus, and Helo was right to stop the cylon virus scheme before it could be executed.

Setting BSG aside, the bigger question prompted by the Borg and Picard’s handling of them is during TNG is a doozy - is genocide ever the pragmatic solution to genocide?

Humans are, to the Borg, Species 5618, with first contact in approximately the year 2356. By the year 2375, the Borg had made it to Species 10026. In almost 20 years, the Borg had encountered over 4,400 sentient species, and doubtlessly assimilated many of them. In short, if Picard had infected Hugh in 2368, would he have prevented possibly a thousand (and counting!) genocides? It’s literally the trolly problem.

Arguably, this is why the Borg subplot in Star Trek: Picard is so important. It proved that Hugh and Picard and Seven and the space tweens weren’t outliers - anyone could be saved. Killing a Borg is murder, and to inflict genocide against the Borg is to finalize the genocide of all the cultures it has enslaved.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

Setting BSG aside, the bigger question prompted by the Borg and Picard’s handling of them is during TNG is a doozy - is genocide ever the pragmatic solution to genocide?

Humans are, to the Borg, Species 5618, with first contact in approximately the year 2356. By the year 2375, the Borg had made it to Species 10026. In almost 20 years, the Borg had encountered over 4,400 sentient species, and doubtlessly assimilated many of them. In short, if Picard had infected Hugh in 2368, would he have prevented possibly a thousand (and counting!) genocides? It’s literally the trolly problem.

Arguably, this is why the Borg subplot in Star Trek: Picard is so important. It proved that Hugh and Picard and Seven and the space tweens weren’t outliers - anyone could be saved. Killing a Borg is murder, and to inflict genocide against the Borg is to finalize the genocide of all the cultures it has enslaved.

That's a really interesting point: by genociding the Borg, you're not just eliminating their race but all the races they've assimilated to save your own skins. In a sense that might be worse than what the Borg do.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Making assimilation the way the Borg reproduced kinda ruined the entire concept of them. If you go back and watch the original Borg episodes, they didn't assimilate individuals. They assimilated technological and biological adaptations and added them to themselves. You see an unaugmented Borg baby. They were a separate species. The exact mechanism of biological assimilation isn't explained but presumably it's some kind of genesplicing. So you can't "save" the Borg because they just are Borg. They are something different. That's literally the entire loving point of them in the first episode they appear.

When the assimilated Picard, that is very specifically an aberration. The Borg have encountered a society that they can't easily defeat, and they also can't understand. So they created Locutus as a go-between. Something that was part of the Borg, but still human enough to communicate with the Federation.

But the fact that that was supposed to be a singular event was completely forgotten, and eventually they just became cyber zombies. lame as hell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Borg assimilated new story ideas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The woman president in BSG was literally Hitler. Humanity was, by and large, better off under Cylon rule on Planet Whatever, than under her rule. She only kept the tiny elite in good conditions on the one ship. Everyship else was a Liberal dystopia with child prostitution run rampant.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BSG was so tryhard cynical. I remember reading the official lore summary on what the actual twelve colonies were like, and the one thing it went into any detail on was the lovingly considered ratio of boomer sleaze : religious terrorism : police brutality in each one.