Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's the bottom of the donkey Kong rail cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
I got these recently and they work very well to keep my chair in place

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081RRW1Z6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also hello, I just got into the hobby recently with a G29. Right now I’m working through the career modes in F1 2020 and ACC, I haven’t been brave enough to go online with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The secret to online anxiety, especially in sim racing, is that everyone else is also terrible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go online. Face the bloodshed.

Be warned though for many people it ruins AI racing. There is nothing like the unpredictability of another human who is also bad at racing. There is no gaming the system there

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah there's seriously no comparing the experience of iRacing with people versus bots in PCars or AC or whatever. Its just, completely different.

Somebody needs to invest serious time in making a racing AI that feels better and they'd sell like hotcakes. But its obviously a very difficult problem.

njsykora posted:

The secret to online anxiety, especially in sim racing, is that everyone else is also terrible.

I'm still slow so the only way I finish high is if half the grid crashes, which is actually extremely often :)

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
Alright I’m convinced. I’ll go suck online with all the other sucky suckers.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Taborcarn posted:

Hey, I'm also brand new to g29 life and would love to try online stuff with a buddy if you're looking for people to play with. There was also a discord link pasted within the last page or so if you want to join the sim goons.

I wonder if it's possible with f1 to do 'track day' kinda things where we both just sit on a track doing time trial stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taborcarn posted:

Just be warned that online racing in games that aren't iRacing can often involve someone getting upset when you pass them on the last lap and deciding to dive-bomb you in revenge, ruining both your races.

This happens in basically every racing game that isn't iRacing, because iRacing actually keeps a permanent record and takes a few steps to punish you for bad actions.

Not that you can't have fun racing in other games, and not saying you should rush out and subscribe to iRacing right away. Just preparing you that some races in F1 are gonna be a little bumper-cars. But if someone crashes into you on purpose they're a dick and its not your fault.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iracing and GT Sport in my experience are the only games that go any length towards encouraging clean driving and punishing dirty driving.

In GT Sport you’ll start out at the bottom and be in some crash’s races but you quickly rise above them by staying clean. There is a certain level in GT Sport that you just can’t hit if you race dirty, so it does a good job of separating dirty racers out that way.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

If any of you new guys don’t have an iracing account, I have a code from the rig I bought for a free year. Has to be a new account.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

house of the dad posted:

If any of you new guys don’t have an iracing account, I have a code from the rig I bought for a free year. Has to be a new account.

If it’s still available I'd love a shot at it, I don’t have an iracing account yet but I’ve been considering it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

house of the dad posted:

If Taborcarn doesn't end up using it I'd like it. Thanks.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Whomever takes advantage of house's generous offer is required to participate in Gooncar on Sundays. Sorry, those are the rules.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I don't race online because I make mistakes and I don't like getting yelled at

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Turn off voice chat and look back on your mistakes to get better

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

If you're worried about being good enough to race online, then you're probably good enough, or at least take it seriously enough, that you'll likely be one of the good guys to race against.

edit: In iRacing I've found that you can have good fun races no matter your skill level as long as you have a positive attitude about it all.

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Racing online is cool because you can have the most tense and fulfilling time battling someone for 11th place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

Racing online is cool because you can have the most tense and fulfilling time battling someone for 11th place.

Being punted into the wall at Eau Rouge isn't as special if you don't have to wait an hour to try again.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Whomever takes advantage of house's generous offer is required to participate in Gooncar on Sundays. Sorry, those are the rules.

Sundays is probably not good for a while because of the paid content bonanza it's going to be for the GT3 season, but Fridays will be primarily free content in the meantime.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

If someone yells at you in iRacing you can report them and they'll seriously get in trouble for it. They'll ban accounts for harassment. Its against the terms & conditions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If someone yells at you in iRacing you can report them and they'll seriously get in trouble for it. They'll ban accounts for harassment. Its against the terms & conditions.

Do you get to find out when it happens because that's such a great feature that isn't included in enough products.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They tell you when they review it and take action, but they don't often tell you what action was taken. The only times I've gotten a detailed email of actions was when I had rejoined unsafely and the car that had to go off to avoid me hit me after the flag in retaliation. I reported it and bit of us got our pp smacked for it.

Other than that it's "we reviewed it and the subject has been informed of the outcome"

I have gotten a warning for language over voice chat before though, they do enforce it.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

house of the dad posted:

Thanks dad, this year I am thankful for you and goons in general.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They also record voice chat in replays now, I think. So if you say a swear at someone, it will be in the replay if you are reported, it's not just he said she said like it used to be.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I'm just gonna be that guy and mention, once again, that if you don't like iRacing's payment scheme* then Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition is practically free, and with SimRacingSystem (free) and World Sim Series (free) you should have a pretty good selection of online racing to keep you busy. Also, the selection of cars and tracks is a lot more interesting.

* and maybe also the slightly weird slip angles

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fanatec is having a sale. 20% off. Still can't justify $400 for a wheel. Was really hoping to see a wheel and pedals kit for that price but.. welp.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not willing to pay for iRacing and right now I'm really enjoying ACC and unlikely to want to change, but that's cool to know. I wish more games did that.

Honestly the other reason is I pause a lot to get up and stretch because of back issues and/or to help my wife with something or because I'm hungry or any number of other reasons. I'd have to stick to pretty short races.

Maybe some day. I'm still not confident enough that I won't accidentally murder too many people.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I have a Logitech G27 and it's misbehaving. Whatever I try, I can't get it to register its full range of motion anymore, the maximum I get out of it seems to be something like 200 degrees.

The driver I'm using for it is the 'Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB', which mostly makes it work - except for the range thing.

Is there any combination of drivers or whatever that I can try to get my 900 degrees back? This is using Windows 10.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

uXs posted:

I have a Logitech G27 and it's misbehaving. Whatever I try, I can't get it to register its full range of motion anymore, the maximum I get out of it seems to be something like 200 degrees.

The driver I'm using for it is the 'Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB', which mostly makes it work - except for the range thing.

Is there any combination of drivers or whatever that I can try to get my 900 degrees back? This is using Windows 10.

It's been a while, but I've had to do this crap several times over the years to clean up G27 issues: https://boxthislap.org/g27-not-working-after-windows-10-update/

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm on my phone so can't give the most accurate answer but there are ways to change the degrees of rotation from the hardware itself. with the wheel plugged in, on the shifter: hold the center two red buttons and then the right black button (above the d pad). you might have to try other black buttons to get the right rotation but I think the right one is correct.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I realise this isn't strictly 'sim racing' but Mudrunner is this week's free game at the Epic store.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Shine posted:

It's been a while, but I've had to do this crap several times over the years to clean up G27 issues: https://boxthislap.org/g27-not-working-after-windows-10-update/

Installing the Logitech Profiler seems to have worked, thanks!

Generally I love Logitech, but I really hate how they completely dropped support for the G27.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

uXs posted:

Installing the Logitech Profiler seems to have worked, thanks!

Generally I love Logitech, but I really hate how they completely dropped support for the G27.

I was going to say install the profiler! I'm glad you got it working already. I'm my experience with my G27 if the profiler isn't running then it's not going to work right with most games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to throw my own certificate into the thread because my printer is low on black ink so I can't print it out and put it on my fridge.

I was legitimately so nervous I was sweating during the race. Feels good!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I haven't had a W in a while. They do feel special, even if it is the bottom split, a win is a win.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Hi! I've never been a simmer, just a fan of casual racing games. VR got me into DiRT RALLY 2 which got me looking at wheels, and then coworkers with $2000 setups suggested the Thrustmaster T300 GT as a starer setup, and after doing some research, finding out why this is better than the logitech G29, I ordered one.

I know these things are overpriced right now ($400, compared to an all time low of $188), and I ended up paying an extra $79 for the Ferrari edition, only because it looked like there was no free return on the normal edition, and I don't buy expensive electronics from Amazon without free returns. They told me I bought the last unit in stock and I have a delivery date of 12/8 (we'll see).

Meanwhile, this morning I noticed Prime listings for the non-Ferrari normal Thrustmaster T300 GT, 399, with Amazon free returns, deliverable this week.

My question is -- are the better grips on the ferrari worth the $70-80 I paid for the upgraded edition, or should I just cancel it, get the base model, and wrap leather straps or whatever around the wheel if it pisses me off?

Other than that, my plan is to get a stick shift and a metal frame to put all this stuff in properly next Spring; my rift S will turn into a Reverb g2 whenever they ship it, and I've already got:
DiRT RALLY 2
Project Cars 2
Gamepass (all the Forza games are up

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 1, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iracing rules and frankly I don’t get why people do anything else but that’s just me :iiam:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Iracing rules and frankly I don’t get why people do anything else but that’s just me :iiam:

It can't be beat when it comes to multiplayer sim-racing for sure, but I can see why people don't want to get it with how expensive it is. Those cars and tracks really start to add up if you're skint.

I would still recommend anyone at least try it out for 3 months and do a full season in the MX5's, which is all free tracks. Although chances are they won't want to do online lobbies in any other sim afterwards.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didn't enjoy the driving in iRacing, I never felt any confidence at any speed of being in control of the cars. So while I loved the racing aspect, I could never motivate myself to practice for an upcoming race because practice is just driving. At some point I cut my losses and let my subscription lapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GhostDog posted:

I didn't enjoy the driving in iRacing, I never felt any confidence at any speed of being in control of the cars. So while I loved the racing aspect, I could never motivate myself to practice for an upcoming race because practice is just driving. At some point I cut my losses and let my subscription lapse.

The handling in iRacing feels a lot more realistic than anything else I've tried.

Cabbages and Kings, just get the 3 month thing for iRacing for $5 and try it out - there's a lot of tracks and cars to try and it's a blast. I started about a week ago and I've been loving it. Goon community is fantastic also.

On a related note, the Mx5 cup is now on Laguna Seca and the feeling of the steering getting light as you crest just after the start/finish line is something that blew me away the first time I felt it.