Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Currently, I'm just getting through Hero of Ages and then my next thought was to move on to Elantris. From there, I was thinking of just tackling his stuff in published order, so I'd likely end up bouncing around a bunch. Dunno if this is the best way to handle things though. Just figured it would allow me to discover things as many here did. Because all these books and the Cosmere are starting to remind me of this -

I figure that the best way to pick up on hints/clues/references between the books is to just tackle them in the order he presented them to the world.

Release order works pretty well imho. Except that you would begin with his weakest book (Elantris), instead of one of his best works (the first Mistborn trilogy). So the way you are doing it is just right. I'd do Elantris and Warbreaker, and then the main works are Stormlight Archives and Mistborn Era 2. The short stories (Emperor's Soul, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, Sixth of the Dust) can be read in any order. If you got a bit of fatigue with the big books and overarching storylines, they can be a nice breather. Also note that many people consider Emperor's Soul his single best work.

Mistborn 2 and Stormlight alternate in publication, but you can just binge one series or the other, they don't spoil each other. Mistborn and Stormlight short stories are another matter. Follow publication order to not be spoilt. The Eleventh Metal and Allomancer Jack are I think safe to read after Final Empire, but just finish Hero of Ages to be sure. Secret History on the other hand must not be read before the 6th Mistborn book, Bands of Mourning.

The Stormlight Archive books (Edgedancer, Dawnshard) again should be read in publication order with the main series. Edgedancer is Stormlight 2.5, so to be read between SA2 (Words of Radiance) and SA3 (Oathbringer), while Dawnshard is Stormlight 3.5, to be read between SA3 and SA4 (Rhythm of War).

tl;dr: Following publication order is best to be on the safe side. If you want to binge Stormlight Archive, treat the short stories as part of the main series when following release order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sanderson has become too powerful for an editor to stop, and it's not great.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm worried about that too. He needs someone to reign him in to make the books flow better and cut out the deadwood.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

WoR
[*]I get that BS is trying to write Jasnah as asexual and show us evidence of this,

Didnt he recently post that this is not true?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

mossyfisk posted:

Sanderson has become too powerful for an editor to stop, and it's not great.

I don’t think I agree with that one. With RoW there were more structural and conceptual problems rather than issues on the editing side. The story felt a bit smaller and constrained to the tower so it lost some of the larger scale of the previous books. That being said I liked it well enough and I think it will hold up better reading 4 and 5 back to back. Sanderson doesn’t seem like someone that wants a yes person as his editor. Time will tell I guess.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think RoW suffers a bit from the Robert Jordan syndrome. When you binge it in the future to then immediately go into book 5, it will probably work pretty well. As a self-contained book, it suffers a bit.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Didnt he recently post that this is not true?
No, he specifically noted that J is asexual but hetero: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cite:Arcanum-14288

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
From RoW undertext:
"Midius once told me … told me we could use Investiture … to enhance our minds, our memories, so we wouldn’t forget so much."

Guess that explains why Hoid hasn't gone insane/senile like the others. But it has a terrible weakness as we found out. I do wonder then, if it's possible to actually make a memory backup / copy so you could protect your memories from manipulation, would sealing such a backup in aluminum work to protect it?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

His Divine Shadow posted:

From RoW undertext:
"Midius once told me … told me we could use Investiture … to enhance our minds, our memories, so we wouldn’t forget so much."

Guess that explains why Hoid hasn't gone insane/senile like the others. But it has a terrible weakness as we found out. I do wonder then, if it's possible to actually make a memory backup / copy so you could protect your memories from manipulation, would sealing such a backup in aluminum work to protect it?

He might have copperminds and the breaths are a misdirection.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

RC Cola posted:

That was my read on that scene.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Can Hoid use copperminds? I thought he just cheated his way to allomancy and not feruchemy.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Hoid could have two feruchemical powers from spikes fairly easily without Harmony getting a hold of him per se. Does he seem like a stickler for redundancy? Sure, but memories in copper minds can be altered, which he probably knows.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Brandon has confirmed that he uses feruchemy, but the only specific is that it is how he manages to always be in the right place

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Can Hoid use copperminds? I thought he just cheated his way to allomancy and not feruchemy.

Bands of Mourning also introduced the concept of unkeyed metalminds that anyone can use, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility for him to have those as well. Maybe what he was doing in Terris in Well of Ascension.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm about midway through RoW so I'm not clicking on any spoilers, but I'm finding it less of a slog than Oathbringer. I think because there are less flashback chapters, unless those increase in the back half.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

mewse posted:

I'm about midway through RoW so I'm not clicking on any spoilers, but I'm finding it less of a slog than Oathbringer. I think because there are less flashback chapters, unless those increase in the back half.

They do not increase. Also I think Oathbringer flashbacks were one of my favorite parts of Oathbringer. I'm a sucker for flashbacks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm not sure it was just the flashback chapters, I also remember oathbringer feeling like it rambled and handling major events in a weird almost offscreen way. RoW has imminent threats and feels tighter plot-wise.

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 1, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm a bit further along, started Part 4 yesterday. Just just just finished chapter 77 which was extremely :staredog: but on the whole I'm not loving the flashbacks in this book, especially compared to Oathbringer's, and Part 3 felt like it went on a bit long. Part 1 was obviously chalk full of imminent threats, but 2 did not and (part 3 since it sounds like that's where you are? no details but just my general take) Part 3 started like it could be exciting but then you realize, "oh, no, the tower is gone and this whole part is gonna be pretty slow" and Kaladin not being able to use his powers was just a drag

Part 4 - Excited to see where things go with Shallan/Pattern/Mraize, as well as all of this crazy Light development with Navani and Raboniel. I really have no predictions, but eager to finish this last third of the book.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 1, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Torrannor posted:

Reading order :words:

Yeah, I just am planning on going off release order once I finish Hero of Ages. I went to the wikipedia bibliography listing for Sanderson and just made the full list of Cosmere works -

pre:
Title						Year	Series			Notes

Elantris					2005	Elantris		—
The Hope of Elantris				2006	Elantris		Short story
The Final Empire				2006	Mistborn		Original Mistborn trilogy #1
The Well of Ascension				2007	Mistborn		Original Mistborn trilogy #2
The Hero of Ages				2008	Mistborn		Original Mistborn trilogy #3
Warbreaker					2009	Warbreaker		—
The Way of Kings				2010	The Stormlight Archive	Stormlight Archive #1
The Alloy of Law				2011	Mistborn		Wax and Wayne series #1
The Emperor's Soul				2012	Elantris		Novella
The Eleventh Metal				2012	Mistborn		Short story, originally published with Crafty Games' Mistborn RPG
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell	2013	Threnody		Novella, originally published in Dangerous Women
Words of Radiance				2014	The Stormlight Archive	Stormlight Archive #2
Sixth of the Dusk				2014	First of the Sun	Novella, originally published in Shadows Beneath
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania		2014	Mistborn		Short story, originally published with Crafty Games' Mistborn RPG
Shadows of Self					2015	Mistborn		Wax and Wayne series #2
The Bands of Mourning				2016	Mistborn		Wax and Wayne series #3
Secret History					2016	Mistborn		Novella
Edgedancer					2016	The Stormlight Archive	Novella
Oathbringer					2017	The Stormlight Archive	Stormlight Archive #3
Dawnshard					2020	The Stormlight Archive	Novella
Rhythm of War					2020	The Stormlight Archive	Stormlight Archive #4
Once I finish Hero of Ages, I'll go through Elantris an then on to Warbreaker. I'm sure that all of the novella/short stories do not have audio books so when I get to those, I'll probably just continue down the list to the next audiobook while reading the novellas/short stories as I have time.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

RC Cola posted:

Regarding the end of RoW,
My guess is that the mention someone made about perfect pitch being lost will come into play — Odium will assume Hoid can’t produce the Rhythm of War tone any more, and then Hoid will deux ex flute his way to victory, since you don’t need perfect pitch if you have an instrument.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Goreld posted:

Regarding the end of RoW,
My guess is that the mention someone made about perfect pitch being lost will come into play — Odium will assume Hoid can’t produce the Rhythm of War tone any more, and then Hoid will deux ex flute his way to victory, since you don’t need perfect pitch if you have an instrument.

I would hate that so it's probably true.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Hoid at all? Besides when he plays therapist?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

RC Cola posted:

If so, I wonder if you can protect a coppermind from external interference by wrapping it in aluminum? Would be kinda funny if you could protect your memories by wrapping it in foil.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

If so, I wonder if you can protect a coppermind from external interference by wrapping it in aluminum? Would be kinda funny if you could protect your memories by wrapping it in foil.

I kinda thought that Copperminds are safe because “anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.” I took that to mean copperminds are safe as well, but I could be wrong

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mewse posted:

They do and they're never as good (or relevant) as OB's flashbacks were. I think RoW is the first book where I hated the flashbacks from start to finish. I think I'd have taken more Shallan chapters than any RoW flashbacks (other than the prologue).

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I just am planning on going off release order once I finish Hero of Ages. I went to the wikipedia bibliography listing for Sanderson and just made the full list of Cosmere works -

Once I finish Hero of Ages, I'll go through Elantris an then on to Warbreaker. I'm sure that all of the novella/short stories do not have audio books so when I get to those, I'll probably just continue down the list to the next audiobook while reading the novellas/short stories as I have time.

I'd suggest you hit series together when you get to them. IE: When you read Alloy of Law you should read Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning afterwards before moving on to other stuff because you'll have a harder time picking back up on the story if half a dozen other things are fresher in your mind. Maybe save Stormlight for last since it's 4 big books and two novellas so far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really hate The Citizen. Not in a book ruining way but in a “he’s a good antagonist” sort of way. He makes me so angry every time he speaks.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

RC Cola posted:

I kinda thought that Copperminds are safe because “anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.” I took that to mean copperminds are safe as well, but I could be wrong

It's an important plot point in Mistborn that Ruin can modify Coppermind memories. It's how Ruin is able to trick both Sazed and the scholars of the earlier age: changing their memories of the wording of prophecies.

Harmony would be much less likely to mess with people's Coppermind memories. Of course people like Hoid and Thaidakar wouldn't want Harmony to be aware of all their memories either.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

All of the novellas and short stories (except for Dawnshard) are available as an audiobook in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

re: copperminds

I suspect this wouldn't work on a shard, or another powerful entity. Aluminum offers protection in the physical realm in 3 dimensions, but i don't think it would prevent interaction from the cognitive realm (or even directly through the spiritual somehow).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Hoid at all? Besides when he plays therapist?
I enjoy him when he's fairy-godfathering main characters, collecting powers, and when he tells people he's not trustworthy. (RoW)He sucks when Sanderson uses him to write *sick burns* or ships him with Jasnah.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
RoW: The last Eshonai flashback was a tearjerker. One of several that made me put my kindle down and take a break. Brandon's getting better at those.

Really all the Eshonai flashbacks reinforced how much better a character she was than Venli, but now she's back with the listener survivors I'm hoping she'll grow out of the rut she's spent the last two books in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Space Butler posted:

RoW: The last Eshonai flashback was a tearjerker. One of several that made me put my kindle down and take a break. Brandon's getting better at those.

Really all the Eshonai flashbacks reinforced how much better a character she was than Venli, but now she's back with the listener survivors I'm hoping she'll grow out of the rut she's spent the last two books in.

Oh god yes, that flashback was beatiful. And sad. And also made me happy for Eshonai. I didn't care for the Venli flashbacks, but Eshonai was great. Too bad we're stuck with her sister.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RC Cola posted:

I would hate that so it's probably true.

I like the role Hoid plays interacting with most of the other characters, he complements them pretty well. Not so much though in his actual role as a player in this game.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Torrannor posted:

Oh god yes, that flashback was beatiful. And sad. And also made me happy for Eshonai. I didn't care for the Venli flashbacks, but Eshonai was great. Too bad we're stuck with her sister.
I'm not sure if this really need to be spoiled since it's unrelated to any new books but re:EshonaiIt still strikes me as incredibly weird that Eshonai died in an anticlimactic way, and partly offscreen, with all of the multifaceted parts of her character, and then Venli immediately replaced her narrative role, even to the point of bonding the same spren as Eshonai and still being the only Singer character we're familiar with AND the only one who gets a POV. Venli didn't have a history with the reader, was essentially introduced at the same time that Eshonai left, and hasn't been a foil for how we'd expect Eshonai to act, since we didn't have any Eshonai POV until later. Why not just keep Eshonai and have her do Venli's character arc?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm not sure if this really need to be spoiled since it's unrelated to any new books but re:EshonaiIt still strikes me as incredibly weird that Eshonai died in an anticlimactic way, and partly offscreen, with all of the multifaceted parts of her character, and then Venli immediately replaced her narrative role, even to the point of bonding the same spren as Eshonai and still being the only Singer character we're familiar with AND the only one who gets a POV. Venli didn't have a history with the reader, was essentially introduced at the same time that Eshonai left, and hasn't been a foil for how we'd expect Eshonai to act, since we didn't have any Eshonai POV until later. Why not just keep Eshonai and have her do Venli's character arc?

That was the plan. However When he had Eshonai fall into the chasm during the ultra mega highstorm, Brandon's editor said that Eshonai needed to stay dead. It would feel unbelievable to have her survive that.
Something like that

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RC Cola posted:

That was the plan. However When he had Eshonai fall into the chasm during the ultra mega highstorm, Brandon's editor said that Eshonai needed to stay dead. It would feel unbelievable to have her survive that.
Something like that

All that needed to happen for no one to question her surviving was for her to say the first oath while she was falling.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

RC Cola posted:

Something like that
Would it though? In the flashback at the end of RoW with her final moments, she even survived the fall and held on to the wall, then tried climbing to safety and drowned before she made it, but after silently swearing the first oath. She could have sucked in enough stormlight from the gems all around her to hold her breath for longer and woken up in drained plate or splashed up onto a ledge in the chasm. Kaladin survived the highstorm without the benefit of shardplate (whether she discarded it or not) or a fully-formed Radiant bond or any shelter whatsoever. When I first read the scene, it seemed incredibly clear to me that she survived, because the chasm would shield her from the storm, and we never saw the body. It was such a classic "show me the body" scene that I'd have called it a cliche.

edit: ^^^ exactly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Putting this out there - Gunship is the official band of Mistborn. Particularly their songs “Dark All Day” and “The Gates of Disorder.”

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

RC Cola posted:

Something like that

Feels like an overcorrect. WoR was almost universally loved but one of the few common criticisms was it ending with Jasnah and Szeth both cheating death, making death feel inconsequential. In response they tried to balance the scales by unexpectedly killing off Eshonai and bizarrely rewriting parts of the Kaladin/Szeth fight to make Kaladin not stab Szeth (instead Szeth just falls into the storm and Kaladin steals the Honorblade without confirming that he's dead).

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Feels like an overcorrect. WoR was almost universally loved but one of the few common criticisms was it ending with Jasnah and Szeth both cheating death, making death feel inconsequential. In response they tried to balance the scales by unexpectedly killing off Eshonai and bizarrely rewriting parts of the Kaladin/Szeth fight to make Kaladin not stab Szeth (instead Szeth just falls into the storm and Kaladin steals the Honorblade without confirming that he's dead).

Huh? At the end of WOR Szeth dies when Kaladin stabs him and burns out his eyes. The honorblade only dropped *because* he was dead and it was unbonded. Nale found him shortly after and brought him back to life with a fabrial before his shard-cut soul dissipated or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Something like that

I think the explanation was that Eshonai felt redundant as another redeemed soldier, and he had too many of those lol