Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I wonder if part of the crunch is that Sony/MS boosted orders significantly this year when they realized demand was up and left AMD in the lurch. There were reports this year that Sony was ordering at least 50% more PS5s than it had originally anticipated, assuming Microsoft did the same then consoles were originally intended to be less than 53% of AMD's wafer allocations when they booked them, instead they are choking out almost everything else at 80%.

Of course there isn't a ton that AMD could have done even had they known, there is only so much TSMC capacity to go around. If they had known demand would be much higher than anticipated then everybody else would have known their own demand was up too, and TSMC doesn't have excess capacity to begin with, AMD getting more capacity would have had to come from outbidding someone else.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if part of the crunch is that Sony/MS boosted orders significantly this year when they realized demand was up and left AMD in the lurch. There were reports this year that Sony was ordering at least 50% more PS5s than it had originally anticipated, assuming Microsoft did the same then consoles were originally intended to be less than 53% of AMD's wafer allocations when they booked them, instead they are choking out almost everything else at 80%.

Of course there isn't a ton that AMD could have done even had they known, there is only so much TSMC capacity to go around. If they had known demand would be much higher than anticipated then everybody else would have known their own demand was up too, and TSMC doesn't have excess capacity to begin with, AMD getting more capacity would have had to come from outbidding someone else.

I'm sure AMD would be happier with allocation shifted away from the console socs since those are probably their least profitable parts. Ultimately though it's all rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

Demand for products that require advanced fabrication processes in aggregate just completely outstrips total global production capacity right now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Isn't Apple using TSMC too?

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

I think they’re using all of TSMC’s 5nm capacity, so not competing for 7nm at least.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

You must construct additional foundries.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Everyone is using TSMC. Their fabs are the most advanced on the planet. It is impossible for anyone else to make what they make, and even setting up an additional line identical to what they already have takes a couple of years.

If someone :china: dropped a bomb on TSMC's facilities, it would instantly cripple electronics manufacturing worldwide. Not every sort of electronics, and not forever, but there would be a real shortage of new phones and laptops for a good long time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

phosdex posted:

They bought All Of The 5nm, I believe.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sagebrush posted:

If someone :china: dropped a bomb on TSMC's facilities, it would instantly cripple electronics manufacturing worldwide. Not every sort of electronics, and not forever, but there would be a real shortage of new phones and laptops for a good long time

At least then Intel would be able to compete again!

Subjunctive posted:

For a good chunk of 2021, yes, yes they did. They also used/are using TSMC 7nm for the A12 SoC for the iPhone XS series.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 1, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sphyre posted:

You must construct additional foundries.

Not enough minerals.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Everything is coming up 14nm+++++

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Subjunctive posted:

For the first 2 months, Qualcomm has a huge 5nm production order going on right now for the Snapdragon 875 for January. But yes Apple outbids everyone for first dibs because they have insane margins.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

any way to make this work borderless windowed?

Was curious about this and found https://www.reddit.com/r/allbenchmarks/comments/ggcsvc/windows_10_fullscreen_optimizations_vs_fullscreen/ - compares fullscreen exclusive, fullscreen optimizations, and borderless windowed. gsync is one of the tested params.

e: good read on FSO @ https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

e2: Actually, this may have nothing to do with your question. Was curious about gsync performance in a borderless window and also if/when win 10 imposes vsync or triple buffering in that mode.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 1, 2020

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha holy poo poo the 1070 goes for $300 sometimes in Europe, amazing. That's just like $50 of depreciation in 3 years. Really tempted to sell it, how many FPS does a 650 Ti Boost get you nowadays anyway?

It's definitely a seller's market. I sold my 2070 super on r/hardwareswap locally a few weeks ago for $575. I'm in the Bay Area where there's lots of people with disposable incomes, but even I was surprised that someone jumped on the asking price in less than an hour. It's basically the price I originally paid minus tax. I feel like I could have still sold it easily it if I asked for $100 more given that you can't even find 2070 supers at retail right now.

mA fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 1, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This discussion has me thinking that I should try to sell my EVGA 1080 Classified and see what I can get for it. I'm also wary of eBay though.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

SourKraut posted:

This discussion has me thinking that I should try to sell my EVGA 1080 Classified and see what I can get for it. I'm also wary of eBay though.

I just did a quick search on r/hardware swap and people have sold an 1080s for between $350-$400 in the last week. On ebay they're selling for upwards of $375.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mA posted:

I just did a quick search on r/hardware swap and people have sold an 1080s for between $350-$400 in the last week. On ebay they're selling for upwards of $375.

Jesus I need to sell my 1080ti ASAP then.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
same, the thought of replacing it with a 3060 and gaining performance and possibly money is a little too much.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VorpalFish posted:

Feel like I have to do this a lot, but saying "the decision to go samsung has gone awry" ignores the fact that we have absolute record demand for tech entertainment right now at least in large part due to covid and probably no fab on earth could keep up.

The wafer capacity and yields of your fab are going to set limits on your production rate, obviously. Semiconductor fabs take billions of dollars and years to get up and running so you can't just scale up production on demand.

But if you think they'd be better off on tsmc than Samsung right now, well how's the AMD launch going right now?

Because right now as far as I know, TSMC and Samsung were literally their only choices for making these gpus - glofo is out of high end game, lol at getting dies this size to yield on intel 10nm even if they would sell to you - which they wouldn't.

COUGHCOUGHFAB42COUGHCOUGH

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What other GPUs are even still being manufactured? is Turing still in production? I imagine RDNA1 isn't, but how about Polaris or Vega?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
New GPU old problems.

My 2070S used to have a tic where it occasionally didn't wake up from idle after doing so overnight. Eventually it got fixed with a driver update. Now this 3080 is doing it. FFS Nvidia.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my 3080 did that until last week. Maybe try beta drivers

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, I'm worried the only thing AMD and nVidia will see with this scalping is "we're leaving money on the table."

It wouldn't surprise me if the next generation's 3070 isn't a $700 card and the 3060 a $500 one.

Honestly have to imagine that there's an element of them wanting to capture as much of the market as possible to drive things towards their specific implementation of new software/AI stuff like DLSS. They probably see this as a turning point where DLSS et al is becoming actually viable and know that to some extent it's not about making money right now (especially with how tech stocks are going on the market and potential to raise a lot of funds if needed) but about looking long term considerations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN: NVIDIA custom card availability will improve in the second half of december, AMD partners warned GN not to break any of the cards during the teardown because replacing the reviewer samples would be "difficult'. :lol:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

God, they really screwed the pooch with this launch, on both sides, but the amazing part for me is, that AMD saw what NVIDIA had done, and thought "yeah, we can do a worse job than that, let's launch right now!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-supports-resizable-bar-amd-smart-access-memory-on-intel-400-series-motherboards

ASUS is preparing beta BIOSes for its Z490, B460, and H470 boards that will allow it the use of the Resizable BAR feature, or what AMD calls Smart Access Memory. Currently, this would work with an Intel 10th gen CPU on the board, partnered with a Radeon RX 6800/6800XT GPU, until NVidia does something to let RTX 3000-series GPUs use Resizable BAR itself.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-supports-resizable-bar-amd-smart-access-memory-on-intel-400-series-motherboards

ASUS is preparing beta BIOSes for its Z490, B460, and H470 boards that will allow it the use of the Resizable BAR feature, or what AMD calls Smart Access Memory. Currently, this would work with an Intel 10th gen CPU on the board, partnered with a Radeon RX 6800/6800XT GPU, until NVidia does something to let RTX 3000-series GPUs use Resizable BAR itself.

I still don't understand how SAM works (or rather will work). Is it basically just going to be a BIOS toggle once Nvidia does something with it?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 1, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Xaris posted:

I still don't understand how SAM works (or rather will work). Is it basically just going to be a BIOS toggle once Nvidia does something with it?

As I understand it, yes. It's been static for a long time mostly for compatibility and no real need to adjust it on Windows.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

The short version is that SAM/Resizable BAR allows the CPU to access the GPU's entire memory buffer, rather than the current behavior where access is done in 256 MB chunks. The higher bandwidth between the CPU and the GPU is supposed to increase performance in some cases, but not all.

And yes, there's going to be a BIOS toggle that you'll flip if you're on a board that supports it, and a GPU that supports it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What other GPUs are even still being manufactured? is Turing still in production? I imagine RDNA1 isn't, but how about Polaris or Vega?

Supply for new cards is probably as good as it could be, but I guess the biggest mistake in all of this was ceasing the production of 2000 series. 12nm FinFET would not compete with 3000 production. Even overpriced they would have alleviated the demand some.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey folks, I've been having some troubles since installing my MSI Ventus RTX 3080 last week, and I'm trying to narrow it down to whether it's a problem within a specific game, the driver, the hardware, or all three. Any help would be appreciated.

Basically, since sticking the card in my system on November 26th I can only go about an hour in AC Valhalla without crashing to desktop. Sometimes it crashes almost immediately on load. This usually comes without an error message in the Event Viewer, although the few times it has, it's been something driver-related (kernel exception in something or other). I did a clean install after removing all previous Nvidia drivers using DDU update, then another full clean & reinstall last night, but the game still crashes. I did once get the following BSOD while playing, DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL nvlddmkm.sys. This ONLY seems to happen in AC Valhalla, and part of the problem is that the game received its first patch on the same day I put in my card, so I can't determine if it's a problem with my system, the hardware, or just this well-documented, exceptionally buggy game. Since getting the 3080 I've played a couple hours in MK11, Horizon Zero Dawn, AC Odyssey and Control, all without issue.

However, I once did get the DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error while simply restarting my computer from a crash, so there's some concern that I might be dealing with faulty hardware. I'm really hoping this is not the case because it took so long just to get this stupid card and I hate dealing with Newegg's RMA process!

Stuff I've already tried

- Reset my CPU to factory clock and voltage.
- Installed latest version of the BIOS.
- Deleted the Ubisoft Connect cache and verified game files.
- Completely uninstalled MSI Afterburner + RTSS.
- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic twice. No errors found.
- Ran SFC and fixed whatever problems were there.
- Reset all Nvidia Control Panel settings to their defaults.
- Rolled back the Nvidia driver to the October 29th release (this is where I got the first BSOD).
- Stress-tested the GPU in several 3dMark benchmarks. All results came back between 97.9% - 99.1% stability.
- Monitored GPU + CPU temperatures. Nothing above 78C for the card under load, well within stable range.
- Monitored TDP usage, nothing besides the occassional 101% spike that's well within operating range for my 750w PSU.
- If it was a power or thermal problem, my computer would probably be shutting down completely anyway.

Stuff I've yet to try

- Disable XMP and reset RAM speed to default.
- Reseated the card (I don't think this is the issue but whatever).
- Stuck my old GPU back in to see if I still get errors.
- Undervolted or downclocked the new GPU.
- ???

Any further guidance would be great!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, I'm worried the only thing AMD and nVidia will see with this scalping is "we're leaving money on the table."

It wouldn't surprise me if the next generation's 3070 isn't a $700 card and the 3060 a $500 one.

If the next generation's 3060 performs like a 3080 then that's fine. Another thing working against that though is that people need some kind of baseline for graphics if integrated graphics in processors becomes a novelty thing for servers and the ultra small form factor crowd. I wonder if resale supply is constrained compared to previous generations because with all the CPU upgrading going on in recent years and the retirement of Whatever Bridge, because people often upgrade to chips that don't have any integrated graphics anymore, which means you can't even look at Facebook on your computer if you try to cash out your used GPU.

Sagebrush posted:

probably the most correct argument is "high-end graphics cards have never really sold in great numbers, and nvidia is making as many cards as they always have to meet the anticipated market, but this year all the dorks who usually buy those graphics cards are stuck at home and relatively unaffected by the pandemic economically and trying to use their money on something, so it genuinely is just double or triple the usual demand."

The two largest consumer markets, China and North America, have never been big on protecting workers and reopened a lot of things between here and now. I think the "stuck at home" segment is somewhat overstated until recently, though if the latest round of retractions stick around that can change. We also threw $1200 at any patient 19 year old who didn't have anything else come up, no idea if that has an effect. I imagine it would explain console shortages if console shortages weren't a thing every single generation. I had to buy a bundle for my 360 and paid a scalper's ransom for my Wii, so what I'm seeing in the console space isn't alien at all.

The interesting thing about all of this is Apple had to stagger releases but has had no problem with no problem getting inventory for two iPad models, three iPhone models, and two Mac models recently. Now maybe demand for that stuff is softer but you'd think that nobody was able to manufacture anything to scale at all right now were it not for tech's autocratic potentate.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 1, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I just dont think selling $800 gaming cards to consumers is the business any of these companies really want to be in, deep down. NVIDIA now makes a lot of money on licensing fees for its enterprise products AFTER making money selling the enterprise the hardware.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1333770880284045312?s=19

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-founders-edition/35.html

it's a 2080 super

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

I believe AMD claimed they weren't discontinuing the 5700xt yet so at least in theory rdna1 should still be in production.

Craptacular! posted:

The interesting thing about all of this is Apple had to stagger releases but has had no problem with no problem getting inventory for two iPad models, three iPhone models, and two Mac models recently. Now maybe demand for that stuff is softer but you'd think that nobody was able to manufacture anything to scale at all right now were it not for tech's autocratic potentate.

Demand may be softer but also apple makes most (all?) of their chips on TSMC 5nm and tsmc 7nm and they have a loving shitload of cash. They're all coming out of the same production capacity and every wafer apple gets is one someone else doesn't; and who is gonna outbid Apple?

The intel based macs are coming from a different source of course but even Intel's had problems keeping up with demand.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 1, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

OK, this is friggin' great. Now we're really hitting price/performance sweet spots, and in the "mid-range branding" once again. I'm getting 970 flashbacks.
This is a far better play than the 3070, due to the 8GB of VRAM being unpalatable at $500, but fair at $400
Loving the performance/watt too. However, chance of them being available at $400 and/or in stock... depressingly miniscule.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 1, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The FPS:$ ratio keeps infinitely improving while the % of demand met keeps shrinking.

By Q4 2021 we'll have quantum compute videocards that can run 8k240 HDR DCI-P3 WXYZ and cost $50 but there's only one of them and Jensen accidentally baked it in his real stove during the unveiling stream.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

HalloKitty posted:

God, they really screwed the pooch with this launch, on both sides, but the amazing part for me is, that AMD saw what NVIDIA had done, and thought "yeah, we can do a worse job than that, let's launch right now!"

The galaxy-brain amazing part is they had the balls to get on Twitter and bet random people $10 that their launch would be great.

Craptacular! posted:

Thing is, if you work with Apple, you're basically at their beck and call: Apple gets first dibs on everything. In some cases, like with TSMC, it's because they can simply out-bid everyone else and buy what they want when they want because they want to. For a lot of the sub-components, especially for iPhones, that they get preference is part of the contract--if you as a component maker start having production issues, Apple is getting whatever you make and gently caress the rest of your customers.

So it's less "nobody is able to manufacture anything" and more "Apple is getting a lot of what little people can manufacturer, and everyone else gets whatever is left over." That Apple had to adjust launches is actually a pretty serious sign of supply chain difficulties, in that sense.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
EVGA store and notify page is up for the 3060ti cards:

https://www.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+3060+Ti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I should have been up an hour earlier so I could refresh the EVGA store page until the notify button was up. An hour is probably a ridiculous wait the way demand is at this point.