Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Leggsy posted:

It's not just the equalities convener. A whole slate of TERFs just got elected to the NEC including Neale Hanvey MP. Who was suspended for a cup of tea's length for anti-Semitism.

There's more to this than just the TERF angle. Basically, the whole SNP TERF war is a not so subtle power struggle between Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond (with support from his elected toady Joanna Cherry). With these elections, things are looking to heat up even more as we get closer to the May parliament elections and the possibility of Boris rejecting indyref2 after another pro-independence majority is voted in.

This could be a real cluster gently caress before it's all over and it really sucks for Trans/NB members as it's open season for harassment within the party now.

Which side of the power struggle is which? I assume Professional grouper Alex Salmond is on the pro-TERF side?
Or is the whole situation more complicated than that?

Edit: Page snipe.

Lara Catt will pay the cat tax.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AzhAigq

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Red Oktober posted:

They don’t speak English, so we’re either assuming that Helen speaks a variety of different languages to find out who they are voting for, or they’re enthusiastically just saying “Labour, yes, Labour” while giving the thumbs up like a Borat sketch.

Or - and this gets a bit crazy so hear me out -
she’s just making it all up.

You do get people who will literally do the "Yes, Labour" nodding and thumbs up thing (Source: personally canvassing for Labour), so it's not impossible it really happened. That she brings it up as a supposed "issue" though is itself very telling aside from the possibility it is still likely bullshit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Foxbasher's view is the puberty blockers case is bad news, I assume he's well-informed about this sort of thing:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1333735295309721600
Yeah, I get the impression that it's currently not great and will probably lead to more cases from under 16s with supportive parents, and perhaps the introduction of more formal medical criteria for when they can be used in the case of under 16s, for better or worse.

It's also something more likely to benefit people assigned male at birth, because 15/16 in some cases is early enough to catch vocal changes, but too late for most of a female puberty.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

Which side of the power struggle is which? I assume Professional grouper Alex Salmond is on the pro-TERF side?

I'd define it more that the TERFs are on Salmond's side.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Question IRL posted:

Salmond is on the same side as the terfs although I don't know if he actually has any particular view on trans issues

basically the anti-Sturgeon snp faction is a vague unholy alliance of a) terfs and transphobes b) people who support Alex Salmond c) people who think the SNP is going too slow on independence d) people who still read wings over scotland e) people who use the word "woke" as a perjorative. not all of them are necessarily in all camps but they generally seem fine working with each other

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Red Oktober posted:

They don’t speak English, so we’re either assuming that Helen speaks a variety of different languages to find out who they are voting for, or they’re enthusiastically just saying “Labour, yes, Labour” while giving the thumbs up like a Borat sketch.

Or - and this gets a bit crazy so hear me out -
she’s just making it all up.

Who to know, really.

They were probably all wearing Hezbollah t shirts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1333744779218259968?s=20

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is extremely trivial, but here's one of the stupidest Guardian columns in a while:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/nov/29/i-raised-my-kids-on-pixar-and-it-has-ruined-classic-cinema-for-them

Even if you're not a fan of Pixar, saying that Up is like some kind of attention-span-shrinking frenzy might be one of the weirdest opinions I've ever seen. So often when I read Guardian columns like this I am just agape that someone actually paid actual money for this to be written.

My favourite part was how she apparently tried to get her kids to appreciate Beavis and Butthead, which is completely irrelevant and alien to anyone who didn't grow up during the rise of MTV and might as well hail from three centuries ago.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Looking up this dude's accounts, theres three directors of his company, him, his wife and presumably his brother. They shared 200k in dividends last year. They weren't struggling in Europe, they were thriving but just had to try and take a little more.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmraDvQVURs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so many poo poo MPs

https://twitter.com/ShabbirLakha/status/1333526837729878018?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Looking up this dude's accounts, theres three directors of his company, him, his wife and presumably his brother. They shared 200k in dividends last year. They weren't struggling in Europe, they were thriving but just had to try and take a little more.

The slogan of the capitalist, innit? "Always got to have more"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was "private profits, public losses"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jfc

https://twitter.com/DouglasKMurray/status/1333437792605630466?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is extremely trivial, but here's one of the stupidest Guardian columns in a while:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/nov/29/i-raised-my-kids-on-pixar-and-it-has-ruined-classic-cinema-for-them

Even if you're not a fan of Pixar, saying that Up is like some kind of attention-span-shrinking frenzy might be one of the weirdest opinions I've ever seen. So often when I read Guardian columns like this I am just agape that someone actually paid actual money for this to be written.

Where do they get their opinions from? Upp is so gentle and untaxing, but thought-provoking. And the old guy is like my dad was - in both appearance and general not-serious grumpiness.

Fishing / Debenhams chat:

I think one of the issues with fishing is that it tends to be clustered in a 'whole community will be affected' manner in a way that Debenhams isn't (other than in the general malaise on the High St way).

I was at a Welsh Labour policy forum a couple of years ago and this was one of the things brought up - and one of the very few areas of Wales not to vote for brexit - the mussels industry in North Wales where much of the fresh mussels 'harvest' goes to France, daily. The view was that post brexit, this industry would be completely killed off within about 6 weeks of brexit taking effect because fresh mussels aren't very fresh once they've been sitting in customs for a few days! (And are likely poisonous to eat by then!)

Re Debenhams - when I go to Newport (Wales) on the bus (not been since March), after an hour or more on a bus, I normally dive straight into Debenhams which opens onto the bus station to use their loo. The thought of having to find another loo in a big hurry is not appealing! (I can hear you now - ok boomer. I'll have you know I'm nearly an Xer).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 1, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I will always seize an opportunity to pay the cat tax for someone else.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Didn't think there were any left-wing newspapers in the UK.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Is the morning star still going?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Convex posted:

Is the morning star still going?

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/

There is another one beginning with W which name I can't remember - more tabloid. It was put together by Corbyn supporters 3-4 years ago. It did have a print edition but seems the big newsagents (or their distributors) kept mucking up deliveries. I've looked at it online once or twice, but the name just escapes me for now.

The Word:

https://thewordmedia.org/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 1, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

The Daily Mail is a left-wing newspaper to that oval office.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where do they get their opinions from? Upp is so gentle and untaxing, but thought-provoking. And the old guy is like my dad was - in both appearance and general not-serious grumpiness.

It's literally that modern films get going right away and are just generally, you know, good, so she can't get her kids interested in old poo poo from the 40s. Because a 13 year old was very likely to take an interest in The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz otherwise.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Since when have the nice Co-op crisps been £2.30 a bag?

loving Brexit Britain

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1333431963898638341

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Christmas Fudge Released

I am delighted to announce that Fudjit’s Christmas stock is now fully available for sale on the company website!

There are ten flavours on offer:

Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Milk Chocolate
Chocolate Orange
Dark Chocolate and Chilli
PSF (Pumpkin spiced fudge)
Jelly Beans
Whisky and Candied Ginger
Rum and Raisin
Irish Cream

You can place orders at https://www.fudjit.co.uk using PayPal or credit/debit cards as you prefer.

And to get a box of five for the cost of four, please use the goon-only discount code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ at checkout.

Thank you all, and I look forwards to receiving your orders :)

Missed the last trial of the new flavours so getting in on the ground floor for these - ordered myself a batch and then went back for more for Christmas gifts for some sweet-toothed relatives.
Wasn't aware that the promo code was single-use-per-email so get your ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.
Don't care though, financial sense overridden by a desire for chilli fudge. :holy:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

god all this trans news is just absolutely grim isn't it

Last night I couldn't sleep, thinking incessantly about the fact I've known I was trans since 18, now I'm 28 and I've done nothing about it out of fear of perception from the family etc etc and god I really have missed the boat haven't I lol

maybe it's cowardly but part of me is somewhat glad I haven't because being yourself seems loving difficult in this climate

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Skeletome posted:

Last night I couldn't sleep, thinking incessantly about the fact I've known I was trans since 18, now I'm 28 and I've done nothing about it out of fear of perception from the family etc etc and god I really have missed the boat haven't I lol

maybe it's cowardly but part of me is somewhat glad I haven't because being yourself seems loving difficult in this climate

That boat's not going anywhere without you, you haven't missed it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just get on one of the fishing ones, they won't be busy.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Skeletome posted:

As someone who only made moves towards getting herself sorted r.e. transness when she was 28 2 years ago, it's never too late, I promise <3

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Skeletome posted:

I'm 32 and have only allowed myself to realise I was Trans this January despite knowing more or less since I was 17 it's never too late to start allowing yourself to be yourself. Yeah I picked the worst year to start to transition but not doing it would have literally killed me this year when everything else started to go wrong and I had nothing else to hold on to.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

Things to drape on your visible top half, but only while the webcam is on.

When the apocalypse started happening, I was very careful to get a headset instead of a webcam for just this reason :colbert:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

whenever the BBC discusses Doctor Who they always say that people were watching from behind their sofa - how big are these cunts houses you can go behind a sofa?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skeletome posted:

My sister transitioned at 31 and two years into it looks great and has literally never been happier.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sundayturks posted:

Missed the last trial of the new flavours so getting in on the ground floor for these - ordered myself a batch and then went back for more for Christmas gifts for some sweet-toothed relatives.
Wasn't aware that the promo code was single-use-per-email so get your ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.
Don't care though, financial sense overridden by a desire for chilli fudge. :holy:

the chili fudge was rather firey. i ended up actually putting some of it in a chili, which worked out nicely

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

whenever the BBC discusses Doctor Who they always say that people were watching from behind their sofa - how big are these cunts houses you can go behind a sofa?
I think I could just about get behind mine, but only because it's open frame and leans back, so the top is about 2" away from the wall and the bottom about 12" but I'm not going to try because I'm working from home by myself so knowing my luck I'd get stuck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I think I could just about get behind mine, but only because it's open frame and leans back, so the top is about 2" away from the wall and the bottom about 12" but I'm not going to try because I'm working from home by myself so knowing my luck I'd get stuck.

I'd just appreciate your dedication to the classics.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i always seem to miss the most interesting tidbits like the space force thing because i just can't engage with msm anymore, its a time suck and its babbling nonsense isn't it, makes me extremely agitated. anyone got any recommendations. opendemocracy? that any good?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

justcola posted:

Its interesting that the phrase is explicitly linked with doctor who in particular rather than just generally scary TV. With doctor who going back to the sixties I suppose it could be that the families with TVs were wealthier and had larger houses? But I think maybe also that the TV was a less dominant feature of the home at that point, both culturally and physically. So families might temporarily draw out a sofa into the centre of the room for the family to watch a particular show on a much smaller tv screen than today's larger ones that occupy pride of place in many lounges across the country.

Or it could just be a handy saying.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Gary Younge (one of the only Guardian journalists I could be hosed with) has a really interesting interview in The Hindu:

The further you are from power, the more you see: Gary Younge. It's a shame he's left the Guardian because he had more insight on class and public opinion (especially vis a vis Brexit, Trump, etc) than anyone left there. This was a really good read and the whole thing is worth a look. Choice excerpt:

quote:

The other thing was the completely inadequate neo-liberal social democratic response. Hillary [Clinton] was the worst possible candidate you can put up against Trump. When somebody said ‘Make America Great Again’, she said, ‘America is great already’. But there were all these people in poverty, whose wages hadn’t increased in the last 40 years. And when she was asked how much she got paid, or why she took so much money from Goldman Sachs, she said because that’s what they offered.

Similarly, in Britain, during the Brexit campaign, their campaign was like: ‘If you’re going to vote for Brexit, that’s because you’re stupid’. And people said: ‘Well then, I’m not going to vote for you if you think I’m stupid’. When they did vote for Brexit, they said, ‘You’re too stupid to know what you think’. And people said: ‘In what world do you know my interests better than me? And why do you keep calling me stupid?’

In both cases, the social democratic wing of neo-liberalism had reached such levels of arrogance and disconnection that in hindsight there was going to be some sort of very fundamental reactionary response. And this was it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ricocheting from "Labour is racist, Corbyn must remain suspended" to "the problem with Labour is they won't deport the blacks" so fast I break the speed of light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its interesting that the phrase is explicitly linked with doctor who in particular rather than just generally scary TV. With doctor who going back to the sixties I suppose it could be that the families with TVs were wealthier and had larger houses? But I think maybe also that the TV was a less dominant feature of the home at that point, both culturally and physically. So families might temporarily draw out a sofa into the centre of the room for the family to watch a particular show on a much smaller tv screen than today's larger ones that occupy pride of place in many lounges across the country.

Or it could just be a handy saying.
In my nan's house, which had not really changed layout since the late 60s, the sofa was in the middle of the room, you could walk round it in a circle, then there were a couple of chairs against the wall to the left and right, storage heater on the wall behind the sofa with about 3' between them, little side table near the heater, fireplace in front of the sofa, TV set in the far corner to the left of the chimney breast.

This was a 50s standard construction council house, so a bit larger than a Victorian terrace (twisto probably has the dimensions somewhere) but not a mansion.

So I think it's just the layout of the time, and since boomers grew up with it it's a solid part of the culture and you're a snowflake antifa woke if you don't immediately drag your sofa out into the most inconvenient part of the room for moving around or having a coffee table or watching your massive flatscreen :wankah:.