Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Gabriel S. posted:

Internet 1.0 was the best internet.

That’s a weird way to spell Netscape Navigator 3.0 Gold Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LochNessMonster posted:

That’s a weird way to spell Netscape Navigator 3.0 Gold Edition

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I'm a vet of the frames war myself, they totally screwed with AOL Browser:

BTW, if's gonna be this hard for me to combine two Docusign tenants into one, should I be checking out some competitors as a contingency plan (operating on the assumption that some might be willing to do most of the migration work if we switch over)? Does anyone here administer something like SignNow or EverSign? If I can find something that's easier to work with and cheaper too, it might be worth the hassle.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Got a new job, basically doubled my pay still doing help desk. I'm with an MSP currently, and the new gig is working in the same industry that the MSP services. Will be relocating for it. The pay increase isn't what some people on here make but it's honestly life changing. I'm extremely excited. It'll be a lot of what I'm doing now but I should have access to new technologies as well to learn about and work with. 18 days of PTO which is better than what I'm at now, but I'm not sure how that holds up industry wide now that companies are going away from vacation+sick and rolling into PTO.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

The Iron Rose posted:

Me too! First day as an SRE.

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsOps/status/1326314471971696640?s=20

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

We need a thread gang tag based on this hahaha

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not on my watch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I love this Twitter.

Zotix posted:

Got a new job, basically doubled my pay still doing help desk. I'm with an MSP currently, and the new gig is working in the same industry that the MSP services. Will be relocating for it. The pay increase isn't what some people on here make but it's honestly life changing. I'm extremely excited. It'll be a lot of what I'm doing now but I should have access to new technologies as well to learn about and work with. 18 days of PTO which is better than what I'm at now, but I'm not sure how that holds up industry wide now that companies are going away from vacation+sick and rolling into PTO.

Congratulations!! I remember my second job in helpdesk well, which also nearly doubled my pay in a similarly life changing manner. Enjoy the new gig, and the decentish (for America) PTO! Are you still with an MSP or doing internal helpdesk now?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oh my god this whole account is a goldmine.
Thank you.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I love this Twitter.

Congratulations!! I remember my second job in helpdesk well, which also nearly doubled my pay in a similarly life changing manner. Enjoy the new gig, and the decentish (for America) PTO! Are you still with an MSP or doing internal helpdesk now?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 21, 2023

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

:perfect:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Watched a girl get Panda Express delivered during a call today and the she just scarfed the noodles with no shame

Was the call booked over lunch? Because I can totally support this activity if people are going to schedule meetings at those sorts of times.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I’m down.

Zotix posted:

Internal for a large multinational law firm.

Godspeed friend! Lawyers are the worst people, but absolutely a big step up from MSP hell.

Let us know if they still use lotus notes

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I work with lawyers currently with my MSP so I know what I'm working with. Some can be brutal, their lives revolve around billable time. I hate DMS systems like image and netdocs though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

:same:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Also afaik old MySpace and Xanga content is effectively wiped from existence.

Yea, that was one of the most overlooked IT disasters. They accidentally deleted everything. :sigh:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gabriel S. posted:

Yea, that was one of the most overlooked IT disasters. They accidentally deleted everything. :sigh:

for some, a disaster, for others, a reprieve

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Feels like the "it was DNS" haiku in gangtag form would be more appropriate but that one is pretty good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Delete it before it's too late.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gabriel S. posted:

Did it not get backed up by the Internet Archive?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I need a Mindspring gang tag, stat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CompuServe Crew

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

Did it not get backed up by the Internet Archive?

So much for my future political campaign. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

And Salesforce bought out Slack. I guess that's not a bad thing. I'm glad it wasn't Oracle or IBM.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I love tech valuations. Slack worth almost 28 Billion lol. What a joke.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm waiting for the cringey rename.
ChatForce.
SlackForce.
Salesforce Groups. (take THAT, microsoft!)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skipdogg posted:

Some of the quotes I'm reading are even more of a joke.

quote:

“Slack has had massive success, but ultimately it was running into a brick wall, and that brick wall was Microsoft,” said Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives. “In terms of [attracting new enterprise clients], it was tougher and tougher going up against the 800 pound gorilla in Redmond.”

Yeah. $28 billion sale price, such a brick wall. I hate the expectation of perpetual, unfaltering growth in this culture. Yeah yeah, "that's capitalism." As I was saying.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Given that there is Teams, Slack, Cisco Whatever Chat, Zoom and Facebook for Work, etc. there's plenty of room in the world for more than just one messaging service.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Gabriel S. posted:

Facebook for Work

Just what everyone wanted, work married to their stream of memes, overabundant pictures of friends kids, and old relatives screaming about switching to parler.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
It's a different app :shrug:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Just what everyone wanted, work married to their stream of memes, overabundant pictures of friends kids, and old relatives screaming about switching to parler.

Thought you were talking about the existing state of Slack for a minute there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Based on the popularity of memes in my works Teams, it definitely is something people want.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I thought it was so freaking ironic that Zuckerberg had to stop letting people in custom avatars in their work profiles or whatever because they got too political.

I have a few co-workers whom literally have a photo of Trump as their own avatar.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
My company mandated our profile pictures had to be actual pictures of us, which made me sad, but at least it stops that sort of thing.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Filthy Lucre posted:

My company mandated our profile pictures had to be actual pictures of us, which made me sad, but at least it stops that sort of thing.

I think my picture in teams/whatever else it gets shared to is 7 years old at this point. I'd be happier if it piped in my facebook profile pic because then I would get the joy of explaining who hedonism bot is.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My profile in Teams is the same as my security badge, which is a horrible horrible photo. Good thing it's always pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

My profile in Teams is the same as my security badge, which is a horrible horrible photo. Good thing it's always pretty small.

Years ago I sent my boss two photo when it was requested by HR that we all have one. One normal and one in a Buddy Jesus pose as a joke.

Well fast forward another year and our RFID cards were now going to double as lanyard IDs. I was on PTO, so he submitted a photo on my behalf. And that's how I got a Buddy Jesus ID card. And I love it.