Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bobstar posted:

I think it's the thing that makes everything look like a soap. Has something to do with high frame rates.

I saw someone arguing that we should stop living in the past regarding frame rates, and embrace the new look. To which I say, films are meant to look cinematic. It's like arguing that theatrical lighting is heightened and stylised, and would be better if it was naturalistic. It wouldn't (unless that's the effect you're going for).

Motion smoothing can gently caress off.

It makes the background look like a still picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've got some bad news for you. In fact was any 70/early 80s TOTP presenter *not* some kind of deviant?

Answering my own question here - every regular presenter of TOTP from 1975 to 1985:

Noel Edmonds (1972–1978, plus 5 May 1983)

Definitely a strange bloke but no known sexwrongs. Was however responsible for the death of a man on the Late Late Breakfast Show.

David Hamilton (1975–1977, plus 31 December 1988)

Known as "Diddy David", but apparently he didn't.

Jimmy Savile (1964–1984, plus 31 December 1988, 19 October 2001, 19 September 2003 and 30 July 2006)

Hoo boy.

Dave Lee Travis (1974–1984, plus 30 July 2006)

3 months in prison (suspended) for sexual assault, acquitted on 14 other charges

David Jensen also known as "Kid Jensen" (1976–1984, plus 31 December 1988)

Clean... but Canadian, which is it's own form of perversion of course.

Peter Powell (1977–1988)

Married to Anthea Turner, but that's not illegal. Yet.

Mike Read (1978–1989, plus 30 July 2006)

UKIP Calypso. The prosecution rests.

Simon Bates (1979–1988)

Clean. Maybe he had a special song to remind him not to be a nonce.

Richard Skinner (1980–1985, plus 6 October 1988 and 19 January 1989)

Literally never heard of him, but - apart from being called Dick Skinner - clean.

Tommy Vance (1980–1984)

No doubt many, many colourful tales from his times sniffing ants with Lemmy but all apparently perfectly consensual. Also look at the acts that played for his tribute and wonder exactly how they all managed to outlive him.

Steve Wright (1980–1989, plus Top of the Pops 2: 1997–2004, 2006–2007, 2008, 2009)

The most mysterious sentence I've ever read on Wikipedia:

quote:

Little is known about Wright's personal life. He is allergic to feathers and penicillin.

John Peel (1981–1987, plus 14 December 1995)

Accusations about him (including impregnating a 15-year-old girl) seem to have been scrubbed from Wikipedia, but yeah, a lot of hipsters having to put him in the "problematic fave" category.

Andy Peebles (1979, 1981–1984)

Literally two paras about him on Wiki, so - as he's still alive - gonna say "clean".

Tony Blackburn (1967–1979, 1981–1983, plus 31 December 1988, 4 April 2003 and 30 July 2006)

Never actually accused of anything, but the details of his interview (or non-interview) with BBC management about Savile's conduct on TOTP are certainly strange.

Mike Smith (1982–1988)

Clean - I'm not even going to tar him with the Late Late Breakfast Show brush.

Janice Long (1982–1988, plus 30 July 2006)

Clean, but how have I literally only just found out she's Keith Chegwin's sister?

Gary Davies (1982–1991)

Clean

Pat Sharp (1982–1983, also a member of British vocal duo Pat and Mick together with Mick Brown, plus 30 July 2006)

Clean, but I have a great story about him that you should ask me about whenever we're away from English libel laws.

Bruno Brookes (1984–1991, 1994–1995)

Clean, also the third name here to have been romantically involved with Anthea Turner.

Surprisingly only 3 nonces in the list.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I just watched a video on youtube about motion smoothing. I can't see any difference. But then every film these days looks like it has a 'blue screen' background (or is it 'green' screen) and they all look flat to me. Bring back the days of going on location to film! Nothing has any depth anymore.
And I'm so over the cgi effect of swarming hordes of orcs / skeleton armies / terracotta armies / giant spiders etc that all move in the same way.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Growing up in the 80s my parents had one of these which was excessively reliable so didn't get replaced. 10" screen and a dial to tune in to the frequency of the channel. loving thing.

Also I will vote for any party that proposes outlawing motion smoothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My first vidya game was playing my dad's large bootleg amiga collection on an old black and white telly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Answering my own question here - every regular presenter of TOTP from 1975 to 1985:

Pat Sharp (1982–1983, also a member of British vocal duo Pat and Mick together with Mick Brown, plus 30 July 2006)

Clean, but I have a great story about him that you should ask me about whenever we're away from English libel laws.

Do you remember that photo of Jeremy *unt that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago purporting to be him at uni - and actually it was his face photoshopped onto an old image of Pat Sharp - mullet and all. As soon as I saw it I recognized it was Pat Sharp showing my age.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/khsurveyors/status/1333733766569848834?s=20

The state of the govt :smdh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The world is poo poo but the weather is not, so have some pictures from today.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

My first vidya game was playing my dad's large bootleg amiga collection on an old black and white telly.

For years my gaming rig was an old black and white portable with whatever 8-bit my dad had managed to get down the market hotwired into the broken antenna because the thing never even had an external antenna socket.

The TV that replaced it, around the time I got my first Atari 800XL so could luxuriate in all 16 colours, stayed in the family until like 2010 or so - in fact it was still working but the SCART to RF modulator my nephew was using to run his PS3 through it broke and a replacement was more expensive than an equivalent-size flatscreen TV - by my reckoning it lasted easily over 20 years in daily use, an absolutely remarkable lifespan for a bit of consumer electronics that was actually a freebie when we rented a TV from Visionhire.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you remember that photo of Jeremy *unt that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago purporting to be him at uni - and actually it was his face photoshopped onto an old image of Pat Sharp - mullet and all. As soon as I saw it I recognized it was Pat Sharp showing my age.

Lol no I didn't but I'd have definitely recognised that publicity photo immediately.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Camrath posted:

Christmas Fudge Released

I am delighted to announce that Fudjit’s Christmas stock is now fully available for sale on the company website!

There are ten flavours on offer:

Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Milk Chocolate
Chocolate Orange
Dark Chocolate and Chilli
PSF (Pumpkin spiced fudge)
Jelly Beans
Whisky and Candied Ginger
Rum and Raisin
Irish Cream

You can place orders at https://www.fudjit.co.uk using PayPal or credit/debit cards as you prefer.

And to get a box of five for the cost of four, please use the goon-only discount code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ at checkout.

Thank you all, and I look forwards to receiving your orders :)
Not sure if this is a daft question but are all the flavours gluten-free?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

TACD posted:

Not sure if this is a daft question but are all the flavours gluten-free?

Not a daft question at all! While some of my flavours do contain gluten, none of these do. The kitchen is a domestic one though, where we do cook with gluten containing items. So I can’t guarantee a lack of trace amounts.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I will always seize an opportunity to pay the cat tax for someone else.

I tried to pay the cat tax, but the board didn't like my imgur link. :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For years my gaming rig was an old black and white portable with whatever 8-bit my dad had managed to get down the market hotwired into the broken antenna because the thing never even had an external antenna socket.

The TV that replaced it, around the time I got my first Atari 800XL so could luxuriate in all 16 colours
My dad got me an Atari 800XL and not one but two 1050 5¼" disk drives and a bunch of games and software quite cheap at a car boot sale. From exactly the sort of person you'd think would be selling an Atari 800XL and two disk drives in a hurry, so even into my early teens I was convinced at some level that console games came on cartridges with colorful boxes and computer games came on black disks with handwritten labels, and found it a bit weird when we got a PC later in the 90s and you could buy PC games in boxes. Then we got the internet and I discovered that was also optional :v:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Motion smoothing is terrible, but high frame rates are good and movie watchers SHOULD get with the times :colbert:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Camrath posted:

Christmas Fudge Released

I am delighted to announce that Fudjit’s Christmas stock is now fully available for sale on the company website!

There are ten flavours on offer:

Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Milk Chocolate
Chocolate Orange
Dark Chocolate and Chilli
PSF (Pumpkin spiced fudge)
Jelly Beans
Whisky and Candied Ginger
Rum and Raisin
Irish Cream

You can place orders at https://www.fudjit.co.uk using PayPal or credit/debit cards as you prefer.

And to get a box of five for the cost of four, please use the goon-only discount code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ at checkout.

Thank you all, and I look forwards to receiving your orders :)

gently caress yeah, missed a couple of month's worth of fudge releases and didn't realise you had a proper webiste now so have chucked an order in. Hope it's all going well for you, keep up the excellent fudging!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like motion smoothing, but I've been ruined by years of videogames and think it looks fine.

I would say that videogames haven't ruined your eyes enough, as having seen plenty of real 60fps footage, motion smoothing sticks out a mile. Especially when large, fast moves are made, you can tell that the in-between frames are all wrong.

Motion smoothing is an abomination, but I am absolutely ride-or-die for the auto-HDR on my lovely LG CX, though from what I've seen all the AV snobs look down their nose at it. Obviously real HDR is preferable, but on everything else auto-HDR is a revelation. It's like having a "double production value" button on my remote. I was watching Babylon Berlin on my old TV when I got the new one, and before I liked it a lot but thought it looked rather bland. After, it suddenly looks like a gorgeous noir film, as it's obviously supposed to.

Babylon Berlin is incredible, by the way, everyone should watch it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Skeletome posted:

god all this trans news is just absolutely grim isn't it

Last night I couldn't sleep, thinking incessantly about the fact I've known I was trans since 18, now I'm 28 and I've done nothing about it out of fear of perception from the family etc etc and god I really have missed the boat haven't I lol

maybe it's cowardly but part of me is somewhat glad I haven't because being yourself seems loving difficult in this climate

i am a bit late to this whatever-the-positive-version-of-a-pile-on-is here but there really isn't a sell-by date, even if all the teenagers on the internet make it seem like if you transition after 21 you might as well not bother, that's not really how it goes. I started thinking about maybe being trans at 26, and my issues sounded similar to yours - fear of what people might think and difficulty getting past self-consciousness and fear it's too late etc. now at 30, i've gotten on hormones, changed my name, and have gradually started making some actual queer friends in the area (it helps that my hobby has a fairly queer-friendly scene, but it's definitely possible to find people that aren't shits).

i mean, yeah, waiting lists are a bitch and politicians will use you for points, and it isn't permanent day-long euphoria, but ultimately the question for me was, is gradually finding a way to feel good about yourself from time to time better than just feeling like poo poo about yourself 100% of the time. there are years I could have done things in but looking back in 10 years, i'm fairly sure i'm going to prefer that I started at 27 than never started at all. i mean that's obviously just my experience and it's a journey you'll have to choose to take or not take at whatever pace you choose, but please don't let these dickheads stop you from transitioning. that's what they want, is for us to stay in our closets. it has been difficult to get myself to fully adopt the "gently caress em, every time they complain i get 20% more trans" mindset, but when I manage to it's worth it.

and this goes for any of you egg lurkers too, statistically i know there's some of you

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of TV:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1333816482913001475

Oh goody. At least it's got an incredibly SEO-unfriendly name.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 1, 2020

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
So the big name returning blairite donor is just an open racist.

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1333830751763230721?s=19

Of loving course

E: https://twitter.com/davidabrahams8/status/797923028172554241?s=19

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 1, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Comrade Fakename posted:

Speaking of TV:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1333816482913001475

Oh goody. At least it's got an incredibly SEO-unfriendly name.

Naive idiot me welcomes the idea that rightwing nutters will decamp to it, leaving the other channels to provide sensible content.
2020 hardened me realises what will actually happen is the beeb will race them to the bottom in an attempt to retain viewers.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidPaisley/status/1333579567622189058?s=19

SNP seem hell bent on sticking to the TERF road.

If you're in Scotland the Greens are the only real choice

Just saw this and I am loving despairing. Might end up spoiling my constituency ballot if the Greens aren't on there.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jose posted:

foster got the sack when she poked fun at another guardian columnist on twitter for misunderstanding something

Maybe it was around the same time but she seems to think it was because of this, lol:

https://twitter.com/TwitDinosaur/status/1283698431094140930?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
twisto what about Simon Mayo he did TOTP in the 80s right? As far as I know he only has sex with his wife in a big comfy bed

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You guys are awesome, we only even use the fuckoff big telly downstairs if we're watching something special & want to make an event of it, the "framerate" has always bugged the poo poo out of both of us & now I have the solution :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:staredog:

I remember the days when openly saying that "apartheid was better for the blacks, here are some statistics" was the exclusive domain of neo-Nazis, the worst kind of Tories, and white South Africans.

"Blacks don't fulfil the requirements imposed by society" was a solid Tony Blair belief though.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://twitter.com/tomcruise/status/1070071781757616128

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Well that sort of explains it, I don't have HD tv.

Just looked up that Abrahams chap:

Wiki

quote:

Abrahams has been an active supporter of peace initiatives in the Middle East. His diplomatic efforts in many Middle East countries brought him into contact with Yasser Arafat as well as Hamas and other leaders establishing grounds for ongoing dialogue.[23]

In 2010 it was reported that Abrahams had met senior Hamas officials including Palestinian Legislative Council speaker Aziz Dwaik[24] and had appeared to wrest a significant change in tone from the Palestinian leadership. He indicated that Hamas officials were prepared to accept – but not necessarily recognise – the existence of Israel, and they would be prepared to nullify the part of the Hamas charter that calls for the obliteration of Israel.[25]

Didn't having meetings with hamas get people all wound up about Corbyn?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 1, 2020

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Angepain posted:

i am a bit late to this whatever-the-positive-version-of-a-pile-on-is here but there really isn't a sell-by date, even if all the teenagers on the internet make it seem like if you transition after 21 you might as well not bother, that's not really how it goes. I started thinking about maybe being trans at 26, and my issues sounded similar to yours - fear of what people might think and difficulty getting past self-consciousness and fear it's too late etc. now at 30, i've gotten on hormones, changed my name, and have gradually started making some actual queer friends in the area (it helps that my hobby has a fairly queer-friendly scene, but it's definitely possible to find people that aren't shits).

i mean, yeah, waiting lists are a bitch and politicians will use you for points, and it isn't permanent day-long euphoria, but ultimately the question for me was, is gradually finding a way to feel good about yourself from time to time better than just feeling like poo poo about yourself 100% of the time. there are years I could have done things in but looking back in 10 years, i'm fairly sure i'm going to prefer that I started at 27 than never started at all. i mean that's obviously just my experience and it's a journey you'll have to choose to take or not take at whatever pace you choose, but please don't let these dickheads stop you from transitioning. that's what they want, is for us to stay in our closets. it has been difficult to get myself to fully adopt the "gently caress em, every time they complain i get 20% more trans" mindset, but when I manage to it's worth it.

and this goes for any of you egg lurkers too, statistically i know there's some of you

This is a wonderful message, thanks so much.

Holy poo poo I might DO something

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm friends with someone here in Ottawa who has just (like a week ago) asked us to call her by her new name and pronouns. I knew she was trans before this - she'd just started the process of getting on meds and stuff when I met her around a year ago. I think she's around 32?

Do what makes you happy, friend. Don't let others (or your fears of how others might react) hold you back - if they can't accept the true you then they likely weren't worth keeping around anyway. It's never too late.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Borrovan posted:

You guys are awesome, we only even use the fuckoff big telly downstairs if we're watching something special & want to make an event of it, the "framerate" has always bugged the poo poo out of both of us & now I have the solution :)

Hide behind the sofa?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I reckon its always good to start something now than think of the time you should have been doing it. You're still the youngest you'll ever be, so its never too late to change I reckon - especially if you might live for another eight hundred years as a space cyborg or something. But good luck with whatever you do, there's a reason why you didn't do it yet, but don't let that stop you from doing something now. I keep thinking about learning an instrument and don't follow my own advice, but one day.

In personal news that housemate that had been driving me crazy finally moved out today and my new girlfriend is moving in next week, so many twists and turns this year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thrilling to read about Labour’s heroic abstention during a massive Tory revolt. That’s the kind of unified, cooperative leadership Keith offers.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Skeletome posted:

This is a wonderful message, thanks so much.

Holy poo poo I might DO something

Hell yeah

Sure the best time to come out and do something about it was when we were teens but the second best time is now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

I'm friends with someone here in Ottawa who has just (like a week ago) asked us to call her by her new name and pronouns. I knew she was trans before this - she'd just started the process of getting on meds and stuff when I met her around a year ago. I think she's around 32?

Do what makes you happy, friend. Don't let others (or your fears of how others might react) hold you back - if they can't accept the true you then they likely weren't worth keeping around anyway. It's never too late.

I always look at the story of Angela Morley, who was probably easily the most high-profile trans person of her era - she composed the themes to multiple classic 50s BBC programmes including Hancocks Half Hour and The Goon Show, then in the 60s recorded with Shirley Bassey and Scott Walker, before transitioning in her 40s and going on to a pretty long and successful career as a composer and arranger in Hollywood. I can't possibly know what it must be like to be in her position, but I can only imagine the relief of finally being able to be the person you know yourself to be.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1333861812673138692?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atowndretown/status/1333859393843113987

Biden 2020.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
clearly he reads the thread

https://twitter.com/TheElliotPage/status/1333820783655837701?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Canadian, early 30s, transitioning this week? Must be pretty neat that Elliot Page (formerly Ellen Page) also just announced the same

e:^^^ yeah what that guy said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It took me a few minutes to realise why elliot page was apparently very famous.