Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

gret posted:

I mean it will certainly be better than the M1 but why shouldn't we just assume an update to the same architecture won't just be incremental improvements over the M1 given that much of the improvement over x86 chips were already captured in the architectural switch to the M1?
Nah it's gonna scream and all the people who bought an M1 machine are gonna be left out in the cold just like every first generation Apple product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

admiraldennis posted:

There's a bunch of thoughts out there that 8GB is still totally fine for many folks:
https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/opinion-is-the-base-macbook-air-m1-8gb-powerful-enough-for-you/

That said, I'm not sure I would personally buy a brand-new non-upgradable 8GB laptop in 2020 myself, even if intended for light usage.

Yeah this is where I’m at. I’m a little paralyzed by indecision TBH.

It doesn’t help that I can walk in and get an 8GB but the 16 is like 3 weeks out.

I’m sure the 8 would be fine but I’d like that breathing room tbh.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

American McGay posted:

Nah it's gonna scream and all the people who bought an M1 machine are gonna be left out in the cold just like every first generation Apple product.

I think I'm more interested in new form factors that the Apple Silicon enables Apple to come up with for the laptops and the iMac than speed over the M1, but then I don't really push my computer doing video editing or compiling programs.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

MarcusSA posted:

It doesn’t help that I can walk in and get an 8GB but the 16 is like 3 weeks out.

I didn't regret maxing out my mid-2014 MBP 15", which was the first non-upgradeable one I bought. Still going strong.

We did the same with my wife's M1 on the way, even though she's a medium user. Future proofing!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

from YOSPOS

Drastic Actions posted:

running Geekbench 5 on my Surface Pro X

running Geekbench on a Windows ARM VM via QEMU on the M1

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Microsoft and ARM has been a fing disaster from the first Surface things. Microsoft... UGH! So little hope for the future.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I expect most of the improvements in gen 2 will be from Apple being willing to expand the TDP parameters of the chip and increase the number of cores.

Given the results already, just going from 4 performance cores to 8 performance cores should be crazy impressive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The 1st gen is already so good.

It is, but I really want to see Apple's first revision. I'm curious how much they plan to twist the knife, now that the Air and Mini have already come out swinging.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I don't expect single core to move much, but multicore will double, gpu will double and maybe the neural engine will double too.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m considering an 8GB Air as I need something in the next The most demanding regular task I have is tweaking 50MB RAW photos in Photos and/or Luminar and Pixelmator. When I went from a 2013 8GB Air to a 2018 16GB Air I didn’t find it was that much faster for that work.

Then again I’m also really open to getting another Air in 2-3 years and having this one to be a family laptop (or else trading/privately selling). It’s tough to justify the extra cost of “future proofing” something that tops out at 16GB and is begging for a major chassis refresh soon enough.

I may cave and get a 16GB anyway but the potential joy of having a stock 8GB that is 100% needs suiting is really compelling. If I get the 16GB I’ll never know if 8 was enough! Plus I can probably return a 8GB within X days if I find it to be disappointing for that RAW work.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

gret posted:

I think I'm more interested in new form factors that the Apple Silicon enables Apple to come up with for the laptops and the iMac than speed over the M1, but then I don't really push my computer doing video editing or compiling programs.

I'm really hoping that the great thermal performance of these chips and the fact that most of their products (Mac Mini excluded) can't get much smaller will be enough to save Apple from themselves. It wouldn't exactly be shocking if their design department immediately went "hey, if we take out the cooling solution we could make it 40 nm thinner!" and handicapped their own machines in pursuit of a pretty silhouette.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Does dolphin emulation work on the M1? Curious if I grabbed an air if I could finally play GameCube games

you probably know this, but make sure to switch from opengl backend to vulkan (i was the last person to learn this)

runs amazing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Facetious posted:

The second generation of this chip is going to be so good.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The 1st gen is already so good.

IT CAN COUNT TO G!!!!!!!!

American McGay posted:

They’ll also all have new enclosures. And then you’ll feel so jealous.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want a beast iMac with adjustable height, no chin, and throw in a couple M1s in there.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did I mention Intel macs would be worthless after apple silicon?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

my biggest hold back is just the amount of monitors I can run. (for my iMac I have to have two more external. Preferably 4k, but two 24 monitors on either side of my 27 are a must. For a laptop, one/two external monitors is fine though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
This M1 air is pulling its weight so well that I might sell my 16” instead of returning it for maximum resale value. Either the 16” pro was way too much for my needs or this new air is a real good value. I’m going with the former, but the new Air is still real nice.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Xabi posted:

How does the Space Gray handle scratches etc? Does it get ugly quickly or is it a non-issue? The Silver seems safer but I love the Space Gray look.

I’ve had two space gray Macs. I’m not particularly precious about them to the point of dropping the 13” and denting it. As far as I can tell, the colour stays on and isn’t just a surface treatment that rubs off or anything. No scratches to speak of though the dent does show a little silver but only if I look close. Both computers saw daily commutes in and out of a bag and multiple moves through the day to meetings, coffee shop, studio etc. The 16” I have now was only a couple months before COVID hit so it’s had a more sheltered life. Both look fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man the 16gb model won’t ship till the 24th!

Come on now!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MarcusSA posted:

Man the 16gb model won’t ship till the 24th!

Come on now!

you should keep an eye on the apple store app if there's an apple store near you that's actually open, as they often get stock in before orders ship out. you could buy and pick up and cancel the internet order if going in person is something with which you're comfortable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

you should keep an eye on the apple store app if there's an apple store near you that's actually open, as they often get stock in before orders ship out. you could buy and pick up and cancel the internet order if going in person is something with which you're comfortable.

Yeah I’ve been checking that but I thought the 16GB was BTO so the stores wouldn’t be getting them.

I’m definitely checking pretty often though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’ve been checking that but I thought the 16GB was BTO so the stores wouldn’t be getting them.

I’m definitely checking pretty often though.

What SSD are you getting? They sometimes have some maxed out SKUs on hand for people who walk into a store and say "just gimmie the best of this model".

If it's 256gb/512gb it might be harder to find than 1tb/2tb

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, seconding the comments about simply keeping a regular eye on store availability. My original order for the 16GB/1TB MBP was set to arrive until up to mid-December, but I noticed at point after I had ordered that I could pick the same color/configuration I wanted next day at the closest Apple Store, so I ended up doing that.

LionArcher posted:

my biggest hold back is just the amount of monitors I can run. (for my iMac I have to have two more external. Preferably 4k, but two 24 monitors on either side of my 27 are a must. For a laptop, one/two external monitors is fine though.

FYI but someone already demonstrated that you can daisy chain monitors in a way that I think the MBA and MBP can actually support up to 5 monitors, while the Mac Mini can do 6. I can't recall though if they all had to be TB or if some were USB-C.

Edit: Here's some info on it: https://www.slashgear.com/m1-macs-can-run-up-to-six-displays-with-a-workaround-24648713/

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 2, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

What SSD are you getting? They sometimes have some maxed out SKUs on hand for people who walk into a store and say "just gimmie the best of this model".

Yeah it’s the 256.

I posted my 2017 15 on swappa for 1k so I’m not sure I can justify maxing out the new 13 tbh.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

FCKGW posted:

16GB and 1TB is the stock high-end model this time, but they are pretty much all gone right now too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ok Comboomer posted:

IT CAN COUNT TO G!!!!!!!!

Dude, a lot of computers can do hexadecimal, not just Apple.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
For dev folks, do you have a way to quantify if/how/when your Neural Engine is being utilized whether in compile or app utilization?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

SourKraut posted:

FYI but someone already demonstrated that you can daisy chain monitors in a way that I think the MBA and MBP can actually support up to 5 monitors, while the Mac Mini can do 6. I can't recall though if they all had to be TB or if some were USB-C.

Edit: Here's some info on it: https://www.slashgear.com/m1-macs-can-run-up-to-six-displays-with-a-workaround-24648713/

Important caveat is that this isn't real native monitor support and/or some kind of clever workaround firmware quirk, but rather DisplayLink which is a "lossy compressed software display emulation over a USB connection" product. (That doesn't mean it's not useful, but it's not a native output, nor is it anything specific to these machines but rather an existing "OK" technology to connect displays via USB.)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Crunchy Black posted:

For dev folks, do you have a way to quantify if/how/when your Neural Engine is being utilized whether in compile or app utilization?

you have to opt in to the neural engine via the CoreML api. it's not something that apps can just use without specifically targetting. however, other apple apis (like Core Image) could plausibly making use of it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah the switch from the C2D 2010 Air to the Sandy Bridge 2011 Air is probably a way, way bigger deal from a wider industry standpoint, and from the standpoint of Apple’s fortunes, and also from the standpoint of bringing palpable change to the average user.

Yea that was a big jump for the 13” Pro as well. Core 2 was so ducking slow

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crunchy Black posted:

WHAT HAHAHAHA

Wait until you see how much they charge for Intel servers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrBond posted:

You earn internet bonus points if you switch to linux and write a medium post about why you're quitting macos

Pfff we switching to FreeBSD now

https://antranigv.am/weblog_en/posts/macos_to_freebsd/

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SourKraut posted:

That's why it seems like it would make sense to bump the 13" MBP to 14", if they want to leave the Air at 13", but even then it seems like it cannibalizes the 13" MBP sales which is very un-Apple like.

I feel like we'll end up seeing a 12" MBA at some point, passively cooled as it is now, and then it'll jump to a 14" MBP and 16" MBP. And the only change between the early 2020 MBA and the M1 MBA is the obvious change from Intel to Apple Silicon and the keyboard change, so I'm not sure Apple spent much time really focused on the MBA for M1 versus recognizing how easily they could make it fanless with M1.

Apple didn't design the M1 in a vacuum, and then ask themselves what product it should go in.

They designed the M1 with specific goals in mind. Its strong points and weaknesses match up very well with the Air. For instance, it's capable of running with passive cooling, and obviously tuned for that scenario (look at how it gets reasonable sustained performance with nothing but that heat spreader). It also only supports two thunderbolt ports, and a maximum of two displays (including the built-in panel) - it shares those limitations with the Intel Air, but they're a downgrade from the Pro. If they were targeting the Pro first, we'd probably see a processor that either needed active cooling in the Air, or throttled itself like crazy under load (like what the recent Intel models struggled with), but that could support a bunch of TB ports, external monitors, and more RAM.

It was designed from the ground up to go into the MBA, and then they put it into a MBP, probably because it's Good Enough for the application and every bit of silicon they're not buying from Intel means extra profit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Apple didn't design the M1 in a vacuum, and then ask themselves what product it should go in.

They designed the M1 with specific goals in mind. Its strong points and weaknesses match up very well with the Air. For instance, it's capable of running with passive cooling, and obviously tuned for that scenario (look at how it gets reasonable sustained performance with nothing but that heat spreader). It also only supports two thunderbolt ports, and a maximum of two displays (including the built-in panel) - it shares those limitations with the Intel Air, but they're a downgrade from the Pro. If they were targeting the Pro first, we'd probably see a processor that either needed active cooling in the Air, or throttled itself like crazy under load (like what the recent Intel models struggled with), but that could support a bunch of TB ports, external monitors, and more RAM.

It was designed from the ground up to go into the MBA, and then they put it into a MBP, probably because it's Good Enough for the application and every bit of silicon they're not buying from Intel means extra profit.

It should be pointed out that the Intel MBP the new M1 MBP replaced also had two TB ports, it wasn't a downgrade. They are still selling the Intel MBP with 4 TB ports and will likely see a refresh next year to Apple Silicon as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Dude, a lot of computers can do hexadecimal, not just Apple.

https://youtu.be/3jxhH0AQF_Q

(wow this has aged incredibly poorly and is, like, kinda gross in places)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hopefully it comes sooner!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Yea that was a big jump for the 13” Pro as well. Core 2 was so ducking slow

the Sandy Bridge Air was when the ultrabook was born

and then Apple basically didn’t change it for a decade and they sold a gorillion of them

And then the rMBP did this to the ThinkPad

https://youtu.be/KdmmYRPz1i0

well, 2012 Lenovo and Win8 didn’t help

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Hopefully it comes sooner!

happy day-after-festivus marcus

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, seconding the comments about simply keeping a regular eye on store availability. My original order for the 16GB/1TB MBP was set to arrive until up to mid-December, but I noticed at point after I had ordered that I could pick the same color/configuration I wanted next day at the closest Apple Store, so I ended up doing that.

Thanks for this. Honestly my current kit works fine. When I do upgrade to Apple silicon, I’ll probably go large iMac on a vesa mount and two external monitors also on mounts, and then a laptop in 14 inches. I’d love a gold MacBook Air 14, but I could see them keeping the 14 for just the pros. Either way, it’s so nice to have macs future products be actually interesting again. It’s been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I've had a base MacBook Air for a few weeks — I bought it because I was curious about M1. I did some little video edit tests and was impressed by how well it worked, but realized today that I hadn't used it to actually edit a video and wanted to try it out.

I just spent 2.5 hours editing a video from start to finish in Resolve, off of an external SSD, completely on battery power. 4K Blackmagic RAW footage. I exported it twice in 2K and 4K. And my battery is still at... 70%.

This is just wild to me. My 16" would've been fans blazing like ten minutes into the edit, and I'm sure it would be under 50% battery with the same test. It was a simple edit (not too many effects, only 3-4 color nodes per clip), but it performed effortlessly. Stabilizing footage felt almost as fast as my 16". And the render times were not bad either — the video is 2:09, and the 2K render took 1:21, and 4K render took 2:40.

I still wouldn't buy this for a primary video editing computer (lol, that I can say that with a straight face about a base MBA is amazing). The 16" performs better for me, though for people editing a lot of H265 the Air might actually be better. Also, 16" is obvi a more enjoyable screen size for editing, the 16" speakers are wildly better (one of the most underrated things about that computer), and four USB-C ports feels necessary if you're doing anything with external media.

I am very excited to see what the bigger-screened pro computers end up being!