Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Nah, Neal Katyal is exactly the kind of self important lawyer that thinks it doesn't matter if your client is the evilest motherfucker on the planet so long as he can argue in front of a prestigious court and get paid.

There are real reasons to take on lovely/evil clients (innocent until proven guilty etc), but he just wants to act like king poo poo of the lawyer pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So his argument about how companies can't be sued under the Alien Tort Statute is that at Nurnberg the Allies put the individuals leading the companies on trial and not the companies themselves? Doesn't that seem a little short sighted? Like the justices could say "companies can't be sued under ATS but the plaintiffs are free to sue individual executives and owners on a personal basis" which seems like a much worse outcome for his clients.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Ah but you see the individuals were simply acting out of fiduciary duty to the company, conducting perfectly normal business operations. It's the evil, unaccountable corporation with its black heart that forced them to do this, practically enslaved these unfortunate execs who, when you think about it, are the real victims here.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm a radical centrist. So radical you could call me fascist

But mother wouldn't approve

So I'm a centrist

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

So his argument about how companies can't be sued under the Alien Tort Statute is that at Nurnberg the Allies put the individuals leading the companies on trial and not the companies themselves? Doesn't that seem a little short sighted? Like the justices could say "companies can't be sued under ATS but the plaintiffs are free to sue individual executives and owners on a personal basis" which seems like a much worse outcome for his clients.

I assume proving culpability of individual executives and owners in a situation like this is likely to be harder in practice than proving culpability of the company as a whole.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I assume proving culpability of individual executives and owners in a situation like this is likely to be harder in practice than proving culpability of the company as a whole.

Yeah, I highly doubt any Nestle executives have written a smoking-gun email that says "here's a million dollars, go spend it knowingly and intentionally enslaving some African children." Proving culpability for the company as an entity might be possible but proving culpability for individual executives is almost certainly impossible.

Like, to use the comparison that Katyal himself used, the IG Farben Nuremberg trial, this is what the defendants in that trial were accused of:

quote:

1. Planning, preparation, initiation, and waging of wars of aggression and invasions of other countries.
2. War crimes and crimes against humanity through the plundering and spoliation of occupied territories, and the seizure of plants in Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Norway, France, and Russia.
3. War crimes and crimes against humanity through participation in the enslavement and deportation to slave labor on a gigantic scale of concentration camp inmates and civilians in occupied countries, and of prisoners of war, and the mistreatment, terrorization, torture, and murder of enslaved persons.
4. Membership in a criminal organization, the SS.
5. Acting as leaders in a conspiracy to commit the crimes mentioned under counts 1, 2, and 3.

And even then, the actual burden of proof was absurdly high:

quote:

Despite the extensive evidence presented by the prosecution that showed that the company had been deeply involved in Germany's rearmament after World War I from the onset, the tribunal rejected the charges for preparing an aggressive war and for conspiracy to that end. On count three ("slave labor"), the judgement "allowed the defendants the benefit of the defense of 'necessity'" (Telford Taylor, "The Nuremberg War Crimes Trials"; International Conciliation, No. 450, April 1949). Only in the case of Auschwitz, where IG Farben had constructed a plant next to the concentration camp with the clear intent to use inmates as slave workers, did the tribunal consider the evidence sufficient to prove that IG Farben acted on its own initiative. The tribunal concluded that the defendants could be held responsible only for this one case

If Katyal got his way and this same approach was used with Nestle executives, there's no way in hell any of them would face any penalties whatsoever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's also the fact that there was a good reason no companies were held legally liable during the Nuremberg Trials: companies deemed to be complicit in war crimes had already been seized by the Allied Control Council, which at the time planned to dissolve the companies and remove or destroy their assets. There was little use in dragging the companies to court for judicial punishment when the Allies had already created a mechanism for punishing the companies via executive actions.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

yeah ig farben existed to 2012 to pay reparations. it's a nonsense argument.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, this dipshit's case was thrown out with prejudice when the PA Supreme Court heard it.

It's sounding like they needed to punish the lawyers involved to get them to stop filing frivolous suits.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"See, this one time, we didn't prosecute ATS to the fullest extent. This is effectively a veto" come the gently caress on, people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Main Paineframe posted:

There's also the fact that there was a good reason no companies were held legally liable during the Nuremberg Trials: companies deemed to be complicit in war crimes had already been seized by the Allied Control Council, which at the time planned to dissolve the companies and remove or destroy their assets. There was little use in dragging the companies to court for judicial punishment when the Allies had already created a mechanism for punishing the companies via executive actions.

Is...there not someone in that courtroom pointing this out?

This whole loving thing is looking like farce.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ALAB did their Neal episode in the nick of time.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

would it actually matter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Potato Salad posted:

Even the conservative judges were very skeptical of Katyal’s arguments

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’d love to see some headlines in the big papers that say something along the lines or “Nestle compares itself to Nazi gas manufacturer in legal filing”. I’d like to think that’d force them to tell Katyal to chill the gently caress out.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Epinephrine posted:

The way this is being described makes it sound like the lawyer is self-sabotaging, ostensibly arguing his case while subtly making it absurd.

After Trump, even if that is the case, I almost expect something bad to happen and the courts to say "Well okay!" and choose the worst option.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
here is some more analysis, it expects Cargill to win - https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/12/...slavery-abroad/. the excerpts of Katal's argument avoid addressing the problems with plaintiff's case apparently.

Jealous Cow posted:

I’d love to see some headlines in the big papers that say something along the lines or “Nestle compares itself to Nazi gas manufacturer in legal filing”. I’d like to think that’d force them to tell Katyal to chill the gently caress out.
Nestle and Cargill have some of the most successful supreme court lawyers currently practicing representing them, they're entirely aware of what the arguments being made are saying, how they might come off, etc.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EwokEntourage posted:

here is some more analysis, it expects Cargill to win - https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/12/...slavery-abroad/. the excerpts of Katal's argument avoid addressing the problems with plaintiff's case apparently.

Nestle and Cargill have some of the most successful supreme court lawyers currently practicing representing them, they're entirely aware of what the arguments being made are saying, how they might come off, etc.

Right, but it still surprises (disappoints?) me that only law nerds get to see how gross this is.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Keep in mind, Nestle's CEO or whoever doesn't agree that water should be freely available to people. They're a flat out evil company and don't give a poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I haven't read the oral argument yet, but this summary in Slate comes to the conclusion that while the conservative justices seemed uncomfortable with making a broad ruling that corporations are above the law, they're very likely to make a narrow ruling in Katyal's favor anyway that the plaintiffs didn't prove that Nestle definitely knew about the slavery.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/12/neal-katyal-supreme-court-nestle-cargill-child-slavery.html

So essentially the outcome is the same as if they're above the law: technically they are subject to the law but, just like bribing politicians with campaign contributions, it's effectively impossible to ever convict one unless you have a signed statement saying "yes I am fully aware and intentionally doing a criminal thing, and not the thing where I feign naivete and can't be convicted, because I'm just that evil bwahahahaha"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So would the end result of this then be "Yeah they're above the law" if it goes their way? Would it have the same effect?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gatts posted:

So would the end result of this then be "Yeah they're above the law" if it goes their way? Would it have the same effect?

It would mean they and other corporations could at least be sued in the future, and potentially found liable if anyone is ever able to meet SCOTUS' standard for proving intent, which is I guess "better" than future lawsuits being dismissed immediately because corporations can't be punished for breaking international laws at all

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Gatts posted:

Keep in mind, Nestle's CEO or whoever doesn't agree that water should be freely available to people. They're a flat out evil company and don't give a poo poo.

So he doesn’t think some people should be enslaved to provide free stuff to other people? Seems inconsistent with the plaintiff’s claims.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's pretty amusing to see Gorsuch, of all people, characterize a clear application of the text of the ATS as "creating a new cause for action" and appealing to legislative intent. What a fucker.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I haven't read the oral argument yet, but this summary in Slate comes to the conclusion that while the conservative justices seemed uncomfortable with making a broad ruling that corporations are above the law, they're very likely to make a narrow ruling in Katyal's favor anyway that the plaintiffs didn't prove that Nestle definitely knew about the slavery.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/12/neal-katyal-supreme-court-nestle-cargill-child-slavery.html

So essentially the outcome is the same as if they're above the law: technically they are subject to the law but, just like bribing politicians with campaign contributions, it's effectively impossible to ever convict one unless you have a signed statement saying "yes I am fully aware and intentionally doing a criminal thing, and not the thing where I feign naivete and can't be convicted, because I'm just that evil bwahahahaha"
Right so the same poo poo they did in that Bob McDonnell bribery case

"If you don't have a recording where the two parties are loudly saying 'WE ARE DOING CRIME', then it's not enforceable"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Some members of the SCOTUS may or may not have a vested interest in ensuring that corruption is extremely hard to prosecute.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This would instantly make them the most hated people in America. https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1336938763772190721

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not 1 in 10,000 Americans will connect the increasing shitiness of their lives to this Supreme Court decision.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not 1 in 10,000 Americans will connect the increasing shitiness of their lives to this Supreme Court decision.

You vastly underestimate the pettiness of Americans in particular and people in general.

Ban abortion? Support a coup? Tens of millions of people will yawn.

Increase the number of spam calls they get? That's rage inducing for everyone.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
So responses in Texas v. Pennsylvania are due this afternoon. Are we likely to hear today if they'll reject the case? I believe on Tuesday SCOTUS rejected Kelly's lawsuit a few hours after the responses came in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I cannot fathom how they can do anything but reject it. It was filed a day before safe harbor, which was after the election, which was months after any of the contested election changes were implemented. The doctrine of laches should apply like thrice over. That's aside from Texas's almost assured lack of standing to contest the election rules in other states, and their own unclean hands (if their arguments were valid) as they implemented many of the same procedure non-legislatively.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 10, 2020

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I cannot fathom how they can do anything but reject it. It was filed a day before safe harbor, which was after the election, which was months after any of the contested election changes were implemented. The doctrine of laches should apply like thrice over. That's aside from Texas's almost assured lack of standing to contest the election rules in other states, and their own unclean hands (if their arguments were valid) as they implemented many of the same procedure non-legislatively.

Oh, yeah for sure, I just want to know approximately when to expect that to happen

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

No idea, but I would say the longer we go the more likely they are to to take the case.

Frankly, if the Supreme Court overturns the results of the elections in 4 states by the citizens in those states who, in good faith, abided by the rules in place at the time of the election (39 million people living in those states) than we are in calvinball territory and a civil war or secession is likely.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Frankly, if the Supreme Court overturns the results of the elections in 4 states by the citizens in those states who, in good faith, abided by the rules in place at the time of the election (39 million people living in those states) than we are in calvinball territory and a civil war or secession is likely.

this is the biggest reason I think this case is another nothingburger. It's not merits; if SCOTUS thought this was a Gore 2000 situation, they would probably try to hand it to Trump. But it's not, and as Not A Lawyer Or Policy Wonk I share your view that SCOTUS ruling in this way would basically be the end of American democracy, it would have catastrophic financial impacts which do not in any way serve the interests of the ruling class, and so it seems very very unlikely to me.

Obviously I'd rather have this denied cert, than have 4 days of mild anxiety about it, but I do still have a box of Restas...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The court unanimously ruled this morning that under the RFRA, Muslims who were placed on the No Fly List can sue individual federal employees. While this is a good ruling by itself, I feel like it could cause more problems down the road.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

FlamingLiberal posted:

The court unanimously ruled this morning that under the RFRA, Muslims who were placed on the No Fly List can sue individual federal employees. While this is a good ruling by itself, I feel like it could cause more problems down the road.

Good because it let a non-Christian religion assert RFRA. Bad because RFRA is terrible and should be limited at every opportunity.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Charlz Guybon posted:

This would instantly make them the most hated people in America. https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1336938763772190721

The ruling that Duguid wants would make every smart phone in the country constitute an ATDS under the TCPA, and could subsequently open up anyone to liability for dialing the wrong phone number, of up to $1500 per call. this potential poo poo show of a result has been looked at in the ACA international case in the 7th circuit and the DC Court of Appeals, and was part of the reason they rejected the end result that Duguid. the marks opinion in the 9th COA potentially makes your cell phone an ATDS and thus subject to the TCPA.

Facebook trying to get the TCPA declared a violation of the 1st amendment is stupid

The TCPA is a poo poo show of a law and just needs to be re-written

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is Texas v Pennsylvania the big multistate one?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EwokEntourage posted:

The TCPA is a poo poo show of a law and just needs to be re-written

Specifically, the problem with it is that it bans devices that "store or produce" phone numbers using a "random or sequential number generator", neither of which have applied to the state of the art in automated calling for years.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cr0y posted:

Is Texas v Pennsylvania the big multistate one?

Yes

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/sites/default/files/images/admin/2020/Press/SCOTUSFiling.pdf