Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how small and legit bass stuff has gotten. I remember days of lugging my 4x10, 1x15, and 4U head comprising of a 1000w power amp up three flights. Nothing like watching your singer just stroll on by...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
My rumble 500 means I only have to make two trips to load in and out. My back thanks me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Could you even just have a DI/preamp to plug into the PA and be done with cabinets? That sounds super appealing...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Could you even just have a DI/preamp to plug into the PA and be done with cabinets? That sounds super appealing...

Thats what Id do in this one bar I'd perform in. The sound guy insisted on it, but I still had a small teeny amp behind me so I could hear.

Worked pretty well and gave the sound guy alot of control over the sound.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Elissimpark posted:

I do this sometimes now, going straight from pedalboard to PA. With a HX Stomp on my board, I can emulate amps/cabs or use an impulse response for cabsim, while having no amp or cab onstage.

My band uses wireless in-ears, and that rack is basically the size of a 115 or 210 cabinet, but offers way more functionality.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Digital amp tech is amazing. I played a heavy rock gig on the other bands bass rig, which sounded great, but the head was physically so light that it would fall off the cab if it wasn't strapped down.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Rumbles use ~~~MAGNETS~~~

It’s magic

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shageletic posted:

Thats what Id do in this one bar I'd perform in. The sound guy insisted on it, but I still had a small teeny amp behind me so I could hear.

Worked pretty well and gave the sound guy alot of control over the sound.

The Science Goy posted:

I do this sometimes now, going straight from pedalboard to PA. With a HX Stomp on my board, I can emulate amps/cabs or use an impulse response for cabsim, while having no amp or cab onstage.

My band uses wireless in-ears, and that rack is basically the size of a 115 or 210 cabinet, but offers way more functionality.

I'm only a hobbyist, so I can't really justify upgrading my 25 year old 25w Samick amp, but I got a cheap Wine Cellar preamp off AliExpress (I think it's a SansAmp clone) and it means I can get good (well, better) sounds through either my PC or my lovely amp. Ideally, it'd be a Battalion or Dark glass vintage if I was feeling super ritzy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My LMS owes me a free setup on my Squier J so I’m going to cash in even though I did one myself a month or so ago. I rented a Fender Player P for a few bucks to tide me over so I can keep lessons going until the work is done and somehow the strings feel way more playable than on mine. I think maybe the nut action is lower or the action is somehow lower overall but this feels even more effortless to fret and play than mine did after lowering the bridge saddles. I’m getting no noticeable buzz so I might ask them to go really low.

If I had to pick a word to describe it I’d say that the strings on this P feel really pliable. Just effortless to play.

Handing the guitar in to the shop for curbside dropoff tomorrow but I’m pretty excited to see just how they can tweak it.

I’m also pleasantly surprised with how much I like my Squier after holding both side by side. I don’t think I notice any fit and finish downfalls compared to the (slightly) more expensive Fender. I do like the fatter P neck more than I expected to, though — thought it would be an instant turn-off but it’s actually really nice in hand and not at all overbearing.

E: Trying not to think about how many disgusting sweaty hands have played these strings before me though.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The Classic Vibes really are fantastic - I have a CV Custom Tele and a CV 60's Precision, and they feel just as solid as my Player Strat.

Love my Rumble 40, too. If I ever feel compelled to upgrade my amp (doubtful), I'll stick with a Fender.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Studybass just launched a redesigned website. I don't think the content is majorly changed. Still, glad to see the site is still actively being worked on. I'm pretty close to finished with fundamental block one, I think.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
My age catches up with me talking about learning to rock out, bass or guitar. In my time we just listened to cds you like and play along. I learned to tune my acoustic by playing Nevermind-Polly and making my guitar match Kurt Cobains first E power chord.
IMO if you wanna play bass get some classic Reggae albums and just loving do it. Thats me being a cranky person tho.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
music comes from within side of your creative soul, you arent freaking learning C++ here in need of a website to instruct imho

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Counterpoint: I have no soul

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Counterpoint: I have no soul

Don't let cranky old timers make you feel bad about learning the way you want to learn. Literally all progress in all of human history has had people doing "in my day" whining.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 4, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cheese Thief posted:

music comes from within side of your creative soul, you arent freaking learning C++ here in need of a website to instruct imho

cool, but learning theory and technique actually lets you turn that creative soul into music a lot faster than mashing notes like a monkey

or are you seriously arguing against learning with regards to art?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Bottom Liner posted:

cool, but learning theory and technique actually lets you turn that creative soul into music a lot faster than mashing notes like a monkey

or are you seriously arguing against learning with regards to art?

I'd argue in terms of being unique is the highest artform. There are enough people learning theory already.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cheese Thief posted:

I'd argue in terms of being unique is the highest artform. There are enough people learning theory already.

Theory helps you communicate to other about what you're doing. It's not a cheat code to being a good player. Sure, you can quickly get some ideas about what to play because you have a nice coloring book of templates right in front of you but it takes creativity to use that information in a fun way. But it's incredibly annoying to everyone else in a band when the guitar player goes "ok so like it's fifth fret this weird shape, then 7 fret that shape with a 10-9-7 thingy and no I don't know what key this is in"

Don't be a dork about this

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Don't let cranky old timers make you feel bad about learning the way you want to learn. Literally all progress in all of human history has had people doing "in my day" whining.

Oh I was totally being facetious; I'm never going to feel bad about educating myself -- why would anyone ever feel bad about acquiring knowledge :)

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Theory helps you communicate to other about what you're doing. It's not a cheat code to being a good player. Sure, you can quickly get some ideas about what to play because you have a nice coloring book of templates right in front of you but it takes creativity to use that information in a fun way. But it's incredibly annoying to everyone else in a band when the guitar player goes "ok so like it's fifth fret this weird shape, then 7 fret that shape with a 10-9-7 thingy and no I don't know what key this is in"

Don't be a dork about this

ok
to be perfectly honest if the tech was around in the 90s I'd be a lot better than I am now, but I'd be completely different too.

Thinking back in the day playing piano books and not even knowing what the song was supposed to sound like, quite the disadvantage. I love Musescore 3, it should work for bass as well. Reading music does help a lot, i don't know if it counts as theory, i guess it does.
edit: I see what you mean and I know your right, its just... different strokes for different folks i guess

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 4, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
fwiw i played bass in a college emo band and i hated every minute of it, they wanted to drop out of school and join the Mountain Do tour or some crazy poo poo. Anyway, maybe if we spoke the commong language of music theory it would have been better lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Right, but telling people "I learned wrong so everyone else should too" is dumb and destructive. We should learn from the hardships we had as kids and teach people how to avoid them. New players shouldnt have to fumble around learning poo poo by ear from a cassette tape recording of a song off the radio and guessing what notes are being played by slowing the tape down. New players also shouldn't feel like they need to play in a band they hate just because we have this notion that if you're not in a band you're a loser who sucks.

Learn from our mistakes, don't repeat them.

Buy a tuner, learn some theory, and have fun.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There is also the principle of learning the "rules" before you break them, which results in better work imho as opposed to flailing about and getting lucky in a naive art kinda way. This applies to both the visual and musical arts.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turbinosamente posted:

There is also the principle of learning the "rules" before you break them, which results in better work imho as opposed to flailing about and getting lucky in a naive art kinda way. This applies to both the visual and musical arts.

Exactly this too. Knowing why a notes do and don't fit in scales can show you how to play wrong notes at the right time.

For example, knowing how to make the most out of harmonic minor.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Right, but telling people "I learned wrong so everyone else should too" is dumb and destructive.

well i hope they have a sense of humor. Anyway, anyone putting the effort into learning anything new has my respect, seriously.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Martytoof posted:

Oh I was totally being facetious; I'm never going to feel bad about educating myself -- why would anyone ever feel bad about acquiring knowledge :)

Thanks for being cool. On a similar note, I learn how to write computer programs from Youtube and, on a counterpoint, unix beards scoff at me. So I 100% absolutely know the feeling. I admit to sometimes saying things for the effect of starting a conversation rather than by conviction. Anyway, goon luck.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Cheese Thief posted:

i wanted to be a unique writer, so i invented my own form of cuneiform with a glossary in the front of the book so other people could read it. 26 letters just can't contain my unique style, man.

the kinds of music theory guitarists/electric bassists generally learn isn't prescriptive at all, it's literally just descriptive language that lets you explain why a certain sound is consonant or dissonant relative to another one. it supplements your ear, it doesn't supplant it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cheese Thief posted:

well i hope they have a sense of humor. Anyway, anyone putting the effort into learning anything new has my respect, seriously.

don't use irony and jokes as shields for your dumb opinions.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

don't use irony and jokes as shields for your dumb opinions.

Ill use something awful forums more responsibily to share dumb opinions regarding music in the future :thanks:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
anyway music is fun, wish i was playing my taylor acoustic bass right now, i love it

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

creamcorn posted:

i wanted to be a unique writer, so i invented my own form of cuneiform with a glossary in the front of the book so other people could read it. 26 letters just can't contain my unique style, man.

the kinds of music theory guitarists/electric bassists generally learn isn't prescriptive at all, it's literally just descriptive language that lets you explain why a certain sound is consonant or dissonant relative to another one. it supplements your ear, it doesn't supplant it.

lmao good point

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

creamcorn posted:

album your av is from is sick, wish i hadn’t sold my record

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I admire people like Adam Neely who can learn theory that well, I can't retain a bunch of rules in my head and apply them, my brain refuses to work that way. So I do know a bit of theory, I know chords and the circle of 5ths and intervals and a bit of harmony and a bit about progressions but I don't have a mental library of that stuff that I can plug things into and get a result. Instead I tend to discover the relationships in the creative process, which is probably a good place to use theory and if I had a different brain, I'd probably apply theory to it differently.

So if you want to learn theory and you have a brain like mine, it's probably best to learn it from analyzing songs rather than reading the rules by themselves. Particularly for bassplayers, you should learn about the different progressions they're your main business, where do they go, how do they resolve, what are the intervals, what's their harmonic relationship, and even if you can't remember them all like me, just be conversant enough that you aren't surprised and can at least figure out the root!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rocksmith 2014 was seriously the breakthrough for me. I had tried to use websites and books (couldn't afford a teacher) but just ran into a brick wall once I got past the basics. What got me to really get serious was to pull up Rocksmith, turn off the dynamic difficulty, and just start banging away on easier stuff like "Blitzkrieg Bop." It might be because I played Guitar Hero and Rock Band so much as a kid, but I think I've got a sort of "shape and color" memory that's let me memorize chord shapes and song progressions just through having mental pictures of the tracks. I can't necessarily name the chords or the key the song is in, but I just connect the sound and the shape of the gems in my brain.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Any advice in general on jamming? My wife is a pianist but neither of have done a lot of jamming before. We just tried it and it was fun but we were both sort of unsure of what to do. Basically we just called out a simple chord progression and I laid down a simple bass line (R-5-8 kind of stuff) and she improvised over that. That's "jamming" right?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
https://reverb.com/item/33283920-ace-tone-bass-3-combo-amp

Here is one of my bass amps, don't see them very often. It's 'Ace-Tone' which is Roland before they changed their name. Made in Japan, I'd guess early 70s. Really complex solid state circuitry, I shudder to think about the repairs on mine. Mine could use some work. But it's super cool, those 3 tone switches will totally change the color of the sound. It's marketed as bass amp due to the 1x15 speaker, but I used it as a regular Guitar Amp for a really long time, it's very loud when the Mid button is engaged.

^^ also sorry hellblazer I didn't mean to rib you about anything, or anyone in the thread. I feel a little bad about acting over the top, especially people starting out with bass or whatever instrument. Stay enthused thats all that matters.
The jamming will be fun when you get into it. Not sure how exactly that instrument combo would work, but if I was jamming two guitarists, I'd have one rhythm player play a chord progression, and a solo player play a series of notes, and just keep repeating that over and over, starting out, and then gradually get better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hellblazer187 posted:

Any advice in general on jamming? My wife is a pianist but neither of have done a lot of jamming before. We just tried it and it was fun but we were both sort of unsure of what to do. Basically we just called out a simple chord progression and I laid down a simple bass line (R-5-8 kind of stuff) and she improvised over that. That's "jamming" right?

Cheese Thief posted:

The jamming will be fun when you get into it. Not sure how exactly that instrument combo would work, but if I was jamming two guitarists, I'd have one rhythm player play a chord progression, and a solo player play a series of notes, and just keep repeating that over and over, starting out, and then gradually get better.

Playing with a pianist or any keys player is fantastic. You've got a rhythm and a lead player all in one.

You and your wife could learn some Meters tunes to jam on, and if she's up to it, learn some Professor Longhair tunes. Really any early NOLA funk will be keys/bass heavy. And if you get into jazz, you can find a ton of great examples of piano+bass (and drums). Vince Guaraldi's trio was typically piano, bass, and drums.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 8, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

oooh, Meters is a good idea. Thank you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am way more excited to get good at walking bass lines than I probably should be.

Hella cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

fwiw i played bass in a college emo band and i hated every minute of it, they wanted to drop out of school and join the Mountain Do tour or some crazy poo poo. Anyway, maybe if we spoke the commong language of music theory it would have been better lol

This reminds me, I have this new project (plenty of time to do that with no gigs existing anymore, thanks American politics) with a guy I think is really talented, and likes the same music I do. Only problem is that he's incredibly self taught and doesn't know the first thing about music theory and simple stuff like keys or matching with the same chord, he just does things instinctively. Its frustrating because I see the mistakes he's doing and ways he can get better, but I'm hesitant to bring anything up, because if I've learned anything playing music for the past 6 years, being in a band has more to do with people management than anything else. The dude's good tho, really interesting, its just a longer road to communicate than it has to be