Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fatty posted:

The raid on Lindisfarne isn't exactly famous for the vikings sneaking in and stealing a couple of chalices

Yea I know it's titled Assassin's Creed, but you're a viking drat it. Act like one :black101: :colbert:

Anyone know roughly how many hours into HZD to get the Golden Travel Pack? I'm enjoying this game but fuckkkk travel is dumb and bad. As is only being able to save at Camp Fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

HopperUK posted:

That's the one! I think so? I read a playthrough of it on RPS once and it sounded exhausting, not really my cup of tea.

Solium Infernum is a good game, but it's not the same set up; it's asynchronous play-by-email, but everyone submits their turns and then the round plays out in one go, not a continuously rolling background game like Neptune. It does share the political manouvering aspect but Neptune is at its core basically one of those take over planet with 120 ships then drag 100 ships to the next planet clones* with rock paper scissors on top.

SI has a lot going on and is an interesting game, it's a shame it's basically programmed in a database tool. I should see if he's made games since, I enjoyed Armageddon empires as well.

*Is there a name for this genre? I googled but couldn't find the originator of the concept and there's tons of iterations on the idea

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Fatty posted:

The raid on Lindisfarne isn't exactly famous for the vikings sneaking in and stealing a couple of chalices.

I would have probably loved it much more if they actually made a historical action game about vikings only. But instead they used their known brand of game about assassins by awkwardly tacking them on to the popular viking culture so you can't actually assassinate whoever you want and sneak into whatever you want to maintain questionable historical accuracy in a game with aliens and people replaying other people's memories from their DNA.

Hell, I would have probably not minded even that if the actual action game bits were anywhere near something I could enjoy for tens of hours. The combat in Origins and Odyssey was only tolerable because you could change it up if you got bored of it but now you're railroaded into dumb free-for-all because vikings didn't sneak.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 1, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Valhalla seems pretty divisive among goons; I'm personally having a blast with it, but it is definitely the most departed from the "assassin" part of this series that it's ever been. As noted above, raids can't be completed stealthily, and there will regularly be story missions that throw you in to set piece castle sieges and big melees.

As someone who's enjoyed playing Origins and Odyssey as a warrior and throwing stealth to the wind anyway, I'm liking what this game is doing a lot, but if you prefer a stealthier playstyle, you're probably going to be pretty frustrated with this one.

There's other issues with it too (the changes they've made to showing collectibles on the map are not for the better imo) but it's definitely getting harder and harder to describe this as a stealth-based gameplay series, so if that's the kind of thing you've enjoyed about the AC series, maybe give this one a miss

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hades is a good buy because you will definitely know if you like it within the two hour mark. I personally didn’t care for it for some reason, but I’m glad I got to try it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been playing Children of Morta which is kind of a lesser Hades, I'd say. That sounds like faint praise but I loved Hades. It's a top-down action brawler like Hades and it rolls the mechanics of the game (i.e. the constant dying) into the story of the game, which I find clever, and you always feel like you are progressing no matter what happens. It's 11 bucks during the sale.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Valhalla seems pretty divisive among goons; I'm personally having a blast with it, but it is definitely the most departed from the "assassin" part of this series that it's ever been. As noted above, raids can't be completed stealthily, and there will regularly be story missions that throw you in to set piece castle sieges and big melees.

As someone who's enjoyed playing Origins and Odyssey as a warrior and throwing stealth to the wind anyway, I'm liking what this game is doing a lot, but if you prefer a stealthier playstyle, you're probably going to be pretty frustrated with this one.

There's other issues with it too (the changes they've made to showing collectibles on the map are not for the better imo) but it's definitely getting harder and harder to describe this as a stealth-based gameplay series, so if that's the kind of thing you've enjoyed about the AC series, maybe give this one a miss

I’ve given it a miss because it’s not currently on Steam.
:smug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Why play Valhalla, when you can just load a bunch of new mods and play Skyrim for 1000th time. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I've been playing Children of Morta which is kind of a lesser Hades, I'd say. That sounds like faint praise but I loved Hades. It's a top-down action brawler like Hades and it rolls the mechanics of the game (i.e. the constant dying) into the story of the game, which I find clever, and you always feel like you are progressing no matter what happens. It's 11 bucks during the sale.
Yeah, it's pretty good. I wouldn't call the story clever but it definitely has some touching moments. I also appreciated the fact every character plays very differently despite seemingly tiny differences in the mechanics.

e: Am I reading right that Valhalla has no naval combat? A game about Vikings?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The longship is more like the god of war canoe than the ship in Odyssey or Black flag. There's no naval combat, you just use it to sail up the rivers, and if there are monasteries or other combat zones on the riverbank, you can use the ship to start a raid where a bunch of NPC vikings fight alongside you (you can get the same result by walking in and blowing a horn, but doing it from the ship is cooler imo)

The bulk of the game takes place in England where you'll be sailing mostly on rivers instead of open sea, so I don't know how much opportunity there would be for naval combat there anyway

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just want to say that in a generally sad game, the worst I felt playing Ori & The Will of the Wisps was in the ending when the final boss, Shriek, having not known any love, rejects the main character's compassion, then returns to her petrified parents who she has never seen alive, and lays down in their stone cold embrace, presumably till death. Like sure other stuff happened but one day later and that's the part that sticks to me. Heartbreaking.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 1, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good. I wouldn't call the story clever but it definitely has some touching moments.

Look man I just didn't want to say ludonarrative ok, and now I have. -_-

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Post sale report:

Cloud Meadow

Do you like farming? Are you horny for other species? Here you go. The actual farming is clunky but the "dungeon" is fun. It doesn't hide what it is so :shrug: It's fine so far.

Love Esquire

Stat raising romance sim\RPG. I've actually laughed a few times at the 2-3 days in-game I did. No 18+ stuff, just raisin stats and talkin to ladies.

Lobotomy Corporation

Haven't sat down with it. I read a very short part of an LP and decided I wanted to play it for myself.

Jenny LeClue: Detectivu

Someone described it as an Interactive Novel and I'd say that's spot on. It's got lots of charm, some ok puzzles, collectables that aren't super annoying and lots of story. A+, my hands down favorite of the sale.

Thief Simulator

Saw a streamer play it and it looked fun. If you liked Car Mechanic Sim, this is the same dev I believe. The weirdest thing is everyone has a taser and will use it.

Noita

Everyone knows Noita at this point. I've had a blast doing runs off and on. Sure, I die horribly but I'm still finding stuff and enjoying it so it was a good buy.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know roughly how many hours into HZD to get the Golden Travel Pack? I'm enjoying this game but fuckkkk travel is dumb and bad. As is only being able to save at Camp Fires.
If you beeline for Carja territory and get lucky with the fox skin(the real challenge), as soon as you leave the Embrace. Fast Travel packs are cheap, easy to craft and a frequent drop though so you'll probably be trashing them before long.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 1, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ended up buying 12 games in the sale:

Mask of Mists (2020) - liked this one a lot as a cute little first person puzzle game with some light combat. already beat it
Murder by Numbers (2020) - thanks for the rec guys. i'll see how this ranks on the great picross leaderboard
Roki (2020) - have been interested in this one ever since playing the demo back in the spring
Barn Finders (2020) - same here, this one appeals to my stupid looting brain, but without any of that dumb "combat" or "open world" to get in the way
The Flower Collectors (2020) - just looks neat, seems like a short game but I'm fine with that
Cathedral - shovel knight + metroidvania, yes please

and a bunch of point n clicks/IF:
Feria D'Arles
Guard Duty
PataNoir
Zork Nemesis
Sinking Island
Amerzone

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Mindustry is now version 6.0. The amount of changes is massive. The gist of it is that now the campaign consists of capturing key sectors on a planet.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i ended up getting talos principle + dlc, noita and griftlands

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up:

Doom Eternal (10 hours in)
Hitman 2 (0 hours in)
Persona 4 Golden (2 hours in)

I also only have 6 hours in Death Stranding which I picked up a few weeks ago from GMG. Whole lot of hours of gaming ahead.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Blattdorf posted:

Mindustry is now version 6.0. The amount of changes is massive. The gist of it is that now the campaign consists of capturing key sectors on a planet.

this is also free on itch.io if you want to try it before grabbing it on steam

https://anuke.itch.io/mindustry

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Blattdorf posted:

Thanks for the heads up! As a fan of Factorio I wanted to like Mindustry more than I did but bounced off it pretty hard. I wanted to come give it another try when this update hit so it looks like it's time!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Red Dead Online just came out on Steam for $5. Worth grabbing at that price I'd think?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1404210/Red_Dead_Online/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harminoff posted:

Red Dead Online just came out on Steam for $5. Worth grabbing at that price I'd think?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1404210/Red_Dead_Online/

Good lord, no. Awful, awful experience devoid of content. They should be paying you to play it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yikes, yeah the AI in Empire of Sin seems to be pretty dreadful. I'm watching Quill18 streaming it and he tried to suicide attack another boss day 1 of the game for fun and actually won because the AI decided to just do nothing for a few turns before trying to run up and punch his characters through overwatch.

Such a shame, the game looked really cool up until that point. I think I'll put it next to Necromunda on the list of games to check out in 6 months.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 1, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lt. Lizard posted:

Why play Valhalla, when you can just load a bunch of new mods and play Skyrim for 1000th time. :v:
why play skyrim when you can just load a bunch of new mods into it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried RDO recently because I was sure they must've added things to do but nope. What is there is locked behind microtransactions. And even if I wanted to just do some hunting to work towards a new horse or something I still have to contend with assholes murdering everyone in town all the time with no passive mode option like they had in GTAV. I have no idea why they took that out. Just a really frustrating experience overall in a game clearly designed to milk people for their hard earned dollarydoos.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/youngscrolls/status/1332738664439435265

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean, Red Dead Online isn't great or anything but you'd be insane to say there's not at least $5 worth of game there. If nothing else its gorgeous as gently caress.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Artelier posted:

I just want to say that in a generally sad game, the worst I felt playing Ori & The Will of the Wisps was in the ending when the final boss, Shriek, having not known any love, rejects the main character's compassion, then returns to her petrified parents who she has never seen alive, and lays down in their stone cold embrace, presumably till death. Like sure other stuff happened but one day later and that's the part that sticks to me. Heartbreaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uylCx5k7U

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Old game question:

Cryostasis

Mouse acceleration is off, but at 1440p the mouse sensitivity suddenly goes off the charts too sensitive at 4000dpi

I changed it to 1000dpi and it's still too weird. Does anyone know of a fix?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Project Wingman looks sweet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h4Z_pDiA4M

I was already contemplating getting it when I thought it was a $60 game but at $25 it is in impulse buy territory

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Old game question:

Cryostasis

Mouse acceleration is off, but at 1440p the mouse sensitivity suddenly goes off the charts too sensitive at 4000dpi

I changed it to 1000dpi and it's still too weird. Does anyone know of a fix?

last I checked it was due to not liking certain resolutions, in ultrawide the game would break with mouse sensitivity for me.
Unfortunately the game isn't popular enough too fully investigate

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Project Wingman looks sweet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h4Z_pDiA4M

I was already contemplating getting it when I thought it was a $60 game but at $25 it is in impulse buy territory

Oh gently caress this does look rad. I couldn't get into AC because of the ridiculous plot, this might be something to look into!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

I am aware. I still have my old copies of Unreal, Deus Ex, and Bulletstorm. I don't mind him having gotten his cut for those, since he hadn't developed his 'games as a service' mindset or started the store. Plus, any time he started to do something dumb, Bleszinski was still around to do something even louder and dumber in order to keep him looking good.

Now HE'S the Bleszinski.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

explosivo posted:

Oh gently caress this does look rad. I couldn't get into AC because of the ridiculous plot, this might be something to look into!

This game has flying ships, some with railguns. I'm pretty sure its going to have a ridiculous plot. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why does the Big Picture resolution max out at 1080p? i guess no one at valve uses it?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
No one anywhere really seems to use it to be honest, it’s basically abandonware at this point like the steambox and steam controller.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yup, i'll be honest, i opened it by misclick

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rinkles posted:

yup, i'll be honest, i opened it by misclick
And for some annoying reason it's the only way to get your DS4 controller to be recognized natively by Steam. Don't really have to open it up after quick setup though.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I use Big Picture all the time since my PC is hooked up to my TV and it sucks only slightly less than having to get up from the sofa and use the mouse to launch games. The big announcement page you can get to by scrolling down on the first menu still says it’s been “an exciting few months” since the launch of the Steam controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The longship is more like the god of war canoe than the ship in Odyssey or Black flag. There's no naval combat, you just use it to sail up the rivers, and if there are monasteries or other combat zones on the riverbank, you can use the ship to start a raid where a bunch of NPC vikings fight alongside you (you can get the same result by walking in and blowing a horn, but doing it from the ship is cooler imo)

The bulk of the game takes place in England where you'll be sailing mostly on rivers instead of open sea, so I don't know how much opportunity there would be for naval combat there anyway

good IMO

I couldn’t get into Odyssey, I loved Origins, and I’m liking Valhalla so far. I just wish it wasn’t so dang buggy. Even getting into my longship gives me problems because Eivor gets stuck on the rowers.