Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

real nap poo poo posted:

That's the magic of photography! It's about the feeling of the scene. An intuitive, internal process. Photography is about seeing, and knowing what to take a picture of is about developing your sensibilities about what you like looking at, I think.

I agree with this. Like any other kind of art you find your voice through study and experience. I think at the end of the day photography is about making interesting pictures. It's hardly a decision to take a photo of something interesting but what catches your eye is about a moment and a process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Also worth noting is sometimes things pop out at you while you're editing pictures that you didn't necessarily see while you were shooting. Just take as many pictures as you can and while you're editing pay attention to which ones you are drawn to and think about why, and that will inform and focus the next time you go out shooting. Repeat over and over and you'll start to develop something.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 30, 2020

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Woofer posted:

Here’s a dumb question from a newbie. How do some of you decide what to take a picture of? I enjoy the pictures, but they seem to be of very obscure things that would 100% never catch my eye. Some examples just from recent posts:

I really like these, especially the middle one. But why did you take pictures of these things? What caught your eye?

I ask because when I’ve gone out with my camera, these are the types of pictures I’ve been trying to take. I just.... don’t know how?

The best answer is really this:

real nap poo poo posted:

That's the magic of photography! It's about the feeling of the scene. An intuitive, internal process. Photography is about seeing, and knowing what to take a picture of is about developing your sensibilities about what you like looking at, I think.

Can't really put it into words because that is exactly why we take a photograph. What catches our eye is the exact scene in the photo - sounds like a cop-out answer but that's the truth.

Twenties Superstar posted:

I agree with this. Like any other kind of art you find your voice through study and experience. I think at the end of the day photography is about making interesting pictures. It's hardly a decision to take a photo of something interesting but what catches your eye is about a moment and a process.

I also agree with this, study & experience counts for a lot. It's not just a year or two of shooting, try a decade or two. There are no fast shortcuts. It's a slow, iterative, and often frustrating experience but it is often just as rewarding, if not more.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I appreciate the feedback but this in particular is part of my problem.

alkanphel posted:

I also agree with this, study & experience counts for a lot. It's not just a year or two of shooting, try a decade or two. There are no fast shortcuts. It's a slow, iterative, and often frustrating experience but it is often just as rewarding, if not more.

I live around DC so there’s a lot of stuff to take pictures of. I follow several local IG accounts and I will take a picture of something and see the exact same subject in someone else’s picture, just 1000x better, and it’s like “wow that framing seems so obvious now, why didn’t I see it?”

I’ll keep plugging away and asking for feedback here!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Keep shooting and sharing what you think are your best images, and don't be discouraged by lack of feedback or even negative feedback. Listen to what people have to say, but ultimately know that it's your work, and it's your own eye that you're developing.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 1, 2020

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

You get more acclimated to look for pictures the more you do it too. Something that would have caught your eye and you would have moved on will with time turn into something that caught your eye and you took a picture of, if you keep a camera close.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

I like everything about this except the clipped highlights on the smaller rocks; they're quite catching to the eye.

Went looking for an old chapel yesterday that's supposed to be near my area. Couldn't find it, but I came across this abandoned house:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Woofer posted:

I appreciate the feedback but this in particular is part of my problem.

I live around DC so there’s a lot of stuff to take pictures of. I follow several local IG accounts and I will take a picture of something and see the exact same subject in someone else’s picture, just 1000x better, and it’s like “wow that framing seems so obvious now, why didn’t I see it?”

I’ll keep plugging away and asking for feedback here!

You might be able to answer your question if you keep shooting for another 10+ years. None of us can shoot like that immediately. That is a problem we all had once upon a time.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I still have the problem of not knowing what I want to shoot, not that I have been shooting for an extraordinarily long time. Even worse I'm very bad at describing what it is I want to shoot. I think it's about being open to discovery and surprise while you're out making pictures. Eventually I think a kind of language will begin to crystallize. But yeah. Shoot more pictures.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Woofer posted:

Here’s a dumb question from a newbie. How do some of you decide what to take a picture of? I enjoy the pictures, but they seem to be of very obscure things that would 100% never catch my eye. Some examples just from recent posts:

I really like these, especially the middle one. But why did you take pictures of these things? What caught your eye?

I ask because when I’ve gone out with my camera, these are the types of pictures I’ve been trying to take. I just.... don’t know how?

I couldn't tell you exactly what triggered me to stop and take that shot, but I took about 16 other ones on that roll of film walking around that area which were pretty trash, so it's by no means gold every time you push the button for anybody. I went to that location (under-construction business park on the edge of the city on a saturday morning) specifically to take that kind of shot, and just wandered around for an hour or so walking until something caught my eye and then seeing what it looked like through the viewfinder.

In the case of the examples you showed they're all of a similar style, somewhat desolate urban landscapes, mostly muted colours, majority of the frame dominated by simple forms/geometric shapes. I suspect that none of them would work as well if they had a lot more texture or detail to them, or if they had more vibrant colours or stronger contrast etc.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Just listened to this interview - good talk, but particularly relevant to our conversation here around the 34 minute mark, where he speaks on inspiration, finding a voice, and how to know when to make a photograph.

https://soundcloud.com/imasper/joel-meyerowitz-lensculture-interview-april-2020

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Woofer posted:

This as a problem is overcome by experience, and identifying your interests more specifically through the process of making and considering your photographs.

It can also be its own pleasure. One of my favourite photographers makes photographs in the same kind of places that I do. His are very different to mine - we see in different ways - but I instantly understand and enjoy his work because he is able to convey his interest.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

seravid posted:

I like everything about this except the clipped highlights on the smaller rocks; they're quite catching to the eye.

Thanks! Good feedback, how's this for an improvement:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Woofer posted:

In addition to what the others have said, I think a lot of it is a mental change in direction from trying to take pictures of things vs taking pictures of scenes.

Taking pictures of things is very natural to us, it's why Facebook is full of identical pictures of the same local landmarks. You see a building, or a car, or a person, or whatever and you try and put all of that thing in the frame. Because you want to have a picture of that thing.

Scenes on the other hand are harder to frame. They comprise things, but often not the entire thing. They might feature more than one thing, and the interplay between those things is what creates the scene. Or it might be one entire thing, but the environment and context makes it into a scene. All of the pictures that you pulled out are pictures of scenes rather than pictures of things.

Taking pictures of things is empty because all you are doing is reproducing something, you aren't creating anything.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Thanks! Good feedback, how's this for an improvement:

Much better, yeah.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Very much like this.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I appreciate all of the feedback. I took the advice that seemed most persistent: shoot more. I took like 100 pics today and there is a grand total of.... two that I like. But I am thoroughly enjoying the process.

Edit: one sec and I’ll post the pics. Sorry!

Woofer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 1, 2020

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

There's something happening in the first image, at least definitely moreso than your first round of pictures, for me anyway. The 2nd image is too dark for me to really tell what's going on and I'm not quite sure what you're going for.

Exposure/Brightness on the first picture could be brought up a little bit. Are you shooting RAW? I admit (don't tell) I often use the "Auto" button in Camera Raw, it usually does a decent job.

Others can probably chime in with better processing advice, and/or chastise me for clicking on auto.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

real nap poo poo posted:

There's something happening in the first image, at least definitely moreso than your first round of pictures, for me anyway. The 2nd image is too dark for me to really tell what's going on and I'm not quite sure what you're going for.

Exposure/Brightness on the first picture could be brought up a little bit. Are you shooting RAW? I admit (don't tell) I often use the "Auto" button in Camera Raw, it usually does a decent job.

Others can probably chime in with better processing advice, and/or chastise me for clicking on auto.

I was shooting in RAW. Those pictures are only cropped. I didn’t do anything to the colors.

With the second one, this is an issue with framing maybe? There’s a water tower in the distance that has a mysterious...ness about it. And with the way the sun was setting I was trying to do something with it.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Yeah you definitely need to do some post processing. I was all "straight out of the camera" for a little bit, but I learned that the processing is important. It also helps you consider your images more, doing a bit of work on each one.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 2, 2020

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

always fine to go out shooting and come back with nothing to show for it in a day, at least you've learned what wasn't working, in a sense

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Woofer posted:

I was shooting in RAW. Those pictures are only cropped. I didn’t do anything to the colors.

With the second one, this is an issue with framing maybe? There’s a water tower in the distance that has a mysterious...ness about it. And with the way the sun was setting I was trying to do something with it.

If you are shooting raw, you really, really need to do at least some basic editing - white balance, contrast, and tone at the very least. You've got a lot of latitude to bring details out of shadows and tame highlights, you should use it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

always fine to go out shooting and come back with nothing to show for it in a day, at least you've learned what wasn't working, in a sense

or found spots to return to in better conditions, it's all good practice.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

This makes me happy, very nice!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you want to shoot RAW at least play with exposure compensation and custom white balance because those two can go a long way. Or shoot in JPEG with custom settings for contrast/sharpening, etc. No reason to shoot in RAW if you're not going to use the lateral data it gives you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At night
by Matt F, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
God I love natural gradients, especially in the mountains.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’m not usually one for the light leaky Holga-Lomo aesthetic, but the third one is kinda cool I gotta say.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Thanks. That means a lot, I really like your work in this thread.

Here's an alternate of the first one with the frame rotated and the effect toned down. I usually don't like it as heavily applied as in the first image of my previous post, but I have had a real good time lately playing with my holga and electrical tape. Maybe the fad has faded enough for me to have fun with it again. I'd love to pick up a few if I could find them sub-$25.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 10, 2020

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Is this a scanned print or scanned negative?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What's happening with the sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

We call those clouds. They're a mass of visible water droplets suspended in the atmosphere.