Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Seriously, given your specific requirements, your best option is to just get a NAS. The Synology models are a piece of cake to set up, easy to administer, and will work with windows file sharing as well as Mac (I use mine for both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just wanted to say thank you all for running such a great thread. I try to stay out of parts threads unless I'm looking to buy, otherwise I'll always be looking to buy. But I have been putting together a new PC and have been trying to lurk more threads for modding purposes and yeah... thank you to everyone who makes this such a good thread.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I just wanted to say thank you all for running such a great thread. I try to stay out of parts threads unless I'm looking to buy, otherwise I'll always be looking to buy. But I have been putting together a new PC and have been trying to lurk more threads for modding purposes and yeah... thank you to everyone who makes this such a good thread.

Getting pretty frustrated with the processor market at the minute. Have ordered a bunch of parts, including a 3070 FE graphics card I was pumped about getting. All arrived, apart from the Ryzen 3600, which never materialized, and now, a week or so later, the shop is saying they might never have had it, dispite having "dispatched" it a week ago.

My daughter comes home from university in a week or so time for Christmas, and I had planned this was going to be her project, to put this one together. She'd always "helped" put machines together when she was younger, but now this was going to be hers and hers alone. Now the 5600x is basically unobtainable, the 3600/3600x is just a huge rip off with the stupid increase in prices the last few weeks, and I am ripping my hair out. I don't know if the best option now is grab a Ryzen3 3100, then upgrade her to a 5600 next year when it drops, or grab a 3700x for not far off the same price as a 5600x, and be grumpy that she has to put up with a last gen part for 4 or 5 years (which I know she'll never even be bothered about, but it will bother me).

Do you think the 3100 for 6 months, then swapping it for a 5600 in the spring/summer sounds sensible? She's just gaming, and doing pretty low level, not intensive, work on the thing.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 2, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Getting pretty frustrated with the processor market at the minute. Have ordered a bunch of parts, including a 3070 FE graphics card I was pumped about getting. All arrived, apart from the Ryzen 3600, which never materialized, and now, a week or so later, the shop is saying they might never have had it, dispite having "dispatched" it a week ago.

My daughter comes home from university in a week or so time for Christmas, and I had planned this was going to be her project, to put this one together. She'd always "helped" put machines together when she was younger, but now this was going to be hers and hers alone. Now the 5600x is basically unobtainable, the 3600/3600x is just a huge rip off with the stupid increase in prices the last few weeks, and I am ripping my hair out. I don't know if the best option now is grab a Ryzen3 3100, then upgrade her to a 5600 next year when it drops, or grab a 3700x for not far off the same price as a 5600x, and be grumpy that she has to put up with a last gen part for 4 or 5 years (which I know she'll never even be bothered about, but it will bother me).

Do you think the 3100 for 6 months, then swapping it for a 5600 in the spring/summer sounds sensible? She's just gaming, and doing pretty low level, not intensive, work on the thing.

It’s hard to know what’s coming and what will be available, but either plan seems OK. It might be a longer wait than that though. That’s speculation, but I’d make your decision with that in mind.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Are you near a micro center or a smaller parts shop? It’s worth going in and looking.

Otherwise for the 5600 following the stock discords (someone else will have to link) is your best bet.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The used market for 3600s should be pretty good soon, Id not be afraid to post an ASK thread in SA-Mart either.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

this thread is a godsend for illiterate goobers like me who want to do PC gaming but don't have the wherewithal to understand technical things.

anyway, I was posting in here yesterday and considering buying an alienware, but it turns out my lack of credit/positive net worth mean I'd have to buy it outright. I'm still considering it but Newegg has some options that would be a bit easier since I could still split the payments over a month and a half without interest, but I'm looking at these Newegg computers and thinking there has to be some kind of a catch or fundamental problem with the brand

here's one I'm looking at closely:
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali454/p/N82E16883360038?Item=N82E16883360038

also, to defray the cost of a new one, I'm thinking I'd probably sell my current alienware aurora r7. I know this isn't the ideal place to ask, but how much would it be worth, in this thread's estimation? It's a 2018 Aurora R7 with an 8gb 1070, a 128gb SSD, a 1tb HDD, 16gb of DDR4 RAM, and silly glowing stripes on the side. I was hoping I could get around $500-$600 but that seems like a wild overestimation maybe?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How long does Nvidia typically continue manufacturing their Founder’s Edition cards? I vaguely recall from previous generations that they stop making them fairly soon after launch, and that they aren’t meant to be a permanent fixture in the 30 series range of cards?

Edit: Seems like they might be around to stay. I think earlier gen FE cards might have been more limited.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 2, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Funso Banjo posted:

Getting pretty frustrated with the processor market at the minute.

Yeah, it's been super frustrating all around. I am seeing quite a few 5800x drops. Might be worth considering if it's worth spending a bit more money to be done with the hassle. That is generally what I have been doing, spending more money to get parts that are less in demand. Stupid, but it works for me.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thoughts on computer cases? Was looking at the Fractal Design Focus G or Meshify C. Any reason to stay away from them or are they all more or less fine? Putting a RTX 2060 in there so I know I'm good on GPU length, but I feel like maybe since I am spending good money on good modern parts I shouldn't cheap out on the case, but it also seems like it might not really matter that much.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Wrr posted:

Thoughts on computer cases? Was looking at the Fractal Design Focus G or Meshify C. Any reason to stay away from them or are they all more or less fine? Putting a RTX 2060 in there so I know I'm good on GPU length, but I feel like maybe since I am spending good money on good modern parts I shouldn't cheap out on the case, but it also seems like it might not really matter that much.

The Meshify C is one of the top suggestions we make here.

If you like bright lights there is also the Phanteks P400A Digital.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

sean10mm posted:

The Meshify C is one of the top suggestions we make here.

If you like bright lights there is also the Phanteks P400A Digital.

Okay thanks, I think I'll pick one up.

Also uh, pretty sure I just got the 5600x?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/p/N82E16819113666?Item=9SIAPMXD091284

This thing right? This is the one everyone wants? Cause I just decided to check Newegg and it was there and it said it was in stock and everything seems to have worked out, so I'm a bit suspicious.

Promise I'm not always this neurotic I just don't want to gently caress up my new build.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Wrr posted:

Okay thanks, I think I'll pick one up.

Also uh, pretty sure I just got the 5600x?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x/p/N82E16819113666?Item=9SIAPMXD091284

This thing right? This is the one everyone wants? Cause I just decided to check Newegg and it was there and it said it was in stock and everything seems to have worked out, so I'm a bit suspicious.

Promise I'm not always this neurotic I just don't want to gently caress up my new build.

What did you pay? It's supposed to go for $300 but it's listed there now for $479 by some third party seller.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

sean10mm posted:

What did you pay? It's supposed to go for $300 but it's listed there now for $479 by some third party seller.

Yeah $479 with $43 shipping; $523.19 total. So I guess I got scalped a bit but honestly dunno if it is really worth it to cancel. Guess that is a bit of a luxury choice to make but hey I gotta use this military disability money on something.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

You got scalped for over 60% of the processor's value? For that price you probably could have gotten the easier to find 5800x retail (449)

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 2, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Wrr posted:

Yeah $479 with $43 shipping; $523.19 total. So I guess I got scalped a bit but honestly dunno if it is really worth it to cancel. Guess that is a bit of a luxury choice to make but hey I gotta use this military disability money on something.

Yea that's a third party seller selling through the newegg marketplace and it ships from Hong Kong. Don't pay that. Buy a 5800x when they come in stock if you have that kind of money.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Yeah, you're right. Cancel requested. Hopefully they'll honor it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrr posted:

Yeah, you're right. Cancel requested. Hopefully they'll honor it?

They're a third party seller from Hong Kong, they likely won't honor poo poo. They've got your money, maybe your processor will show up, but if it doesn't and they don't refund, initiate a dispute with your credit card company. If you bought it with a debit card though, sorry son you're out of luck since most banks don't give nearly as many shits about your money.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lets not go that far this is newegg not wish.

His cpu will show up eventually but its still way overpriced.

But he absolutely might be stuck with it though because they might not honor any kind of cancellations or returns.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

whoops got caught up in the rush to buy the thing and screwed myself over most likely haha gently caress

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
I'm going to be building a new PC in the next few months (since stocks are fun right now and I'm not in a huge hurry), but I'm not overly tech-savvy so I need some input.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? I'm a graphic designer/illustrator, so Adobe CC but no video/3d work, and I'd like something that will reliably run new games at high settings for the next few years no problem. I don't need the cutting edge ultra settings or crazy stuff, but I need a new monitor, too, and will get one that can support whatever this will put out, so that won't be a limiting factor.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to plan on spending ~1500USD on the system and probably 300 or so on a monitor (unless that's too low for what it needs).
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Adobe CC will cover me for work, and I'll get it free (for me to use) from work licenses. I mostly do photo editing, UX/UI stuff in XD, and illustration work in PS and AI.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Probably whatever the second-best setting is on things like Cyberpunk, etc. that are coming down the pike in the next few years. I don't do multiplayer stuff, and no competitive play or anything if that matters. I'm planning on buying a new monitor to replace my old one, so that won' tbe a limiting factor.

I've kind of looked at this as a base build (from Reddit's pcmasterrace.org/builds), but since I know almost nothing about the tech side, I'm very open to suggestions and/or ridicule:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: *Corsair A500 75 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($726.99 @ Staples)
Case: *Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1728.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 16:26 EST-0500

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Who do I gotta blow to get a 3060 ti? That thing went out of sale like the goddamn turbo man

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Jabberwocky posted:

I'm going to be building a new PC in the next few months (since stocks are fun right now and I'm not in a huge hurry), but I'm not overly tech-savvy so I need some input.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? I'm a graphic designer/illustrator, so Adobe CC but no video/3d work, and I'd like something that will reliably run new games at high settings for the next few years no problem. I don't need the cutting edge ultra settings or crazy stuff, but I need a new monitor, too, and will get one that can support whatever this will put out, so that won't be a limiting factor.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'd like to plan on spending ~1500USD on the system and probably 300 or so on a monitor (unless that's too low for what it needs).
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Adobe CC will cover me for work, and I'll get it free (for me to use) from work licenses. I mostly do photo editing, UX/UI stuff in XD, and illustration work in PS and AI.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Probably whatever the second-best setting is on things like Cyberpunk, etc. that are coming down the pike in the next few years. I don't do multiplayer stuff, and no competitive play or anything if that matters. I'm planning on buying a new monitor to replace my old one, so that won' tbe a limiting factor.

I've kind of looked at this as a base build (from Reddit's pcmasterrace.org/builds), but since I know almost nothing about the tech side, I'm very open to suggestions and/or ridicule:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: *Corsair A500 75 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($726.99 @ Staples)
Case: *Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: *be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1728.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 16:26 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($726.99 @ Staples)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1668.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 16:45 EST-0500

The video card really depends on your monitor choice though.

1080p - 3060Ti $400
1440p 3070 $500
4k 3080 $700

You could probably drop to 16 GB and be just fine and shave some money off there too.

If you want to splurge on a faster ssd you could always get the P31 Gold or even a 980 Pro if you really want to burn money. :homebrew:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sean10mm posted:

If you want to splurge on a faster ssd you could always get the P31 Gold or even a 980 Pro if you really want to burn money. :homebrew:

Actually, I do have a question for the thread along these lines. I went with 2x 2 TB 970 Evo Pluses. I'd really like them to be one logical drive in Windows, because it would be nice for the wife not to have to worry about the two different drives thing.

I don't necessarily care about RAID and I imagine the RAID controller on the motherboard would be bottlenecked anyways (MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK). My first thought was just to create a dynamic disk in Windows and JBOD/concatenate them together, but I did see something about TRIM not being supported on dynamic drives. I couldn't confirm that, though.

Anyone have any advice?

[edit: Sorry, meant to add that I know this will increase the likelihood of the OS drive failing because now it is reliant on two drives instead of one, but with the increased reliability of SSD drives, I don't mind.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 2, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey dudes - I have an i5 6500, 32GB of RAM, and an RTX 2060 and I'm in EVGA's queue to Step Up to a 3080.

I was having a discussion with someone on Reddit and mentioning how at 1440p the 2060 will sometimes drop down to 20-30FPS in AC:V and HZD. They're saying it's probably a CPU bottleneck, but I always hear how "CPUs are so rarely ever the bottleneck anymore, everything is on the GPU" but they're probably right as it's like a 5 year old CPU by now.

I could upgrade a single generation to the Intel 7000 series and stay with my current mobo, but given that I theoretically have a 3080 coming down the pipe in a few months I guess I should just bite the bullet and get a new mobo/CPU?

Not necessarily looking for specific part recommendations, but I'm just curious what you all's thoughts on this scenario is. I've tried AMD/ATI products maybe half a dozen times over the last 20 years and I've never once had a good experience, so I'd prefer to not go that route.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 2, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Hey dudes - I have an i5 6500, 32GB of RAM, and an RTX 2060 and I'm in EVGA's queue to Step Up to a 3080.

I was having a discussion with someone on Reddit and mentioning how at 1440p the 2060 will sometimes drop down to 20-30FPS in AC:V and HZD. They're saying it's probably a CPU bottleneck, but I always hear how "CPUs are so rarely ever the bottleneck anymore, everything is on the GPU" but they're probably right as it's like a 5 year old CPU by now.

I could upgrade a single generation to the Intel 7000 series and stay with my current mobo, but given that I theoretically have a 3080 coming down the pipe in a few months I guess I should just bite the bullet and get a new mobo/CPU?

Not necessarily looking for specific part recommendations, but I'm just curious what you all's thoughts on this scenario is. I've tried AMD/ATI products maybe half a dozen times over the last 20 years and I've never once had a good experience, so I'd prefer to not go that route.

It's not worth it going from a 6000 to a 7000, those are still only 4 core parts and games are starting to expect at least 6.

Also the best CPUs of old generations still tend to be really overpriced years later. If you can find it in stock a 7700K is like $330.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Actually, I do have a question for the thread along these lines. I went with 2x 2 TB 970 Evo Pluses. I'd really like them to be one logical drive in Windows, because it would be nice for the wife not to have to worry about the two different drives thing.

I don't necessarily care about RAID and I imagine the RAID controller on the motherboard would be bottlenecked anyways (MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK). My first thought was just to create a dynamic disk in Windows and JBOD/concatenate them together, but I did see something about TRIM not being supported on dynamic drives. I couldn't confirm that, though.

Anyone have any advice?

[edit: Sorry, meant to add that I know this will increase the likelihood of the OS drive failing because now it is reliant on two drives instead of one, but with the increased reliability of SSD drives, I don't mind.]

I don't know all the technical ins and outs, but it seems a really bad idea with minimal upside and heaps of potential downside. Is she really going to need instant access to 4 terabytes of storage? Couldn't she learn about the other drive while filling up the first one?

I guess if you already have 4 terabytes of stuff it's a bit different, but I've had too many horrific drive failure events to think this is a good idea.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just got my 3070/5600X in NZ with no problems or delays :banjo:

it was probably vastly overpriced by US standards but I guess it might be an option if money is less important than time/getting around shortages. www.pricespy.co.nz is the local store aggregator if you want to check.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I just got my 3070/5600X in NZ with no problems or delays :banjo:

it was probably vastly overpriced by US standards but I guess it might be an option if money is less important than time/getting around shortages. https://www.pricespy.co.nz is the local store aggregator if you want to check.

:nice:

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I'm getting to the point of just getting a pre-built system from some place like Cyberpower just to get my hands on a RTX 30 series after failing to get a 3060TI this morning. Any place you guys recommend?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Tyberius posted:

I'm getting to the point of just getting a pre-built system from some place like Cyberpower just to get my hands on a RTX 30 series after failing to get a 3060TI this morning. Any place you guys recommend?

Corsair also also into selling premades now. Expensive but very nice and you might find their higher price tag means they have stock available to ship sooner.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050009-NA

(You might be able to save way more and trim down this im phone postin)

Linus tech tips did secret shopper and HP did a great job on the phone helping him get a good system.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/desktops/omen-30l-gaming-desktop-3074457345617480671--1#!&tab=vao

gently caress dell/Alienware hard again lol. They learned NOTHING from last time and tried to sell linus antivirus and financing like 20 times.

https://youtu.be/Gz7WMF4wWko

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Lets not go that far this is newegg not wish.

His cpu will show up eventually but its still way overpriced.

But he absolutely might be stuck with it though because they might not honor any kind of cancellations or returns.

Newegg is not Wish.com, but Newegg has a very easy out regarding liability if the third party seller says "whoops we're not doing refunds", in that they're just providing a marketplace and are not liable for anything the third party seller does, they can just point you to the seller and that's the limit of what they're required to do. Amazon did/does this and gets away with it. Consumer protection law has not caught up to online marketplaces yet.

It will 99% most likely show up, but my past experiences with marketplaces a la ebay and amazon, once they have your money, they're going to ship your poo poo regardless of whether you request cancellation or not, and you're going to have to eat shipping both ways.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 3, 2020

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Corsair also also into selling premades now. Expensive but very nice and you might find their higher price tag means they have stock available to ship sooner.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050009-NA

(You might be able to save way more and trim down this im phone postin)

Linus tech tips did secret shopper and HP did a great job on the phone helping him get a good system.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/desktops/omen-30l-gaming-desktop-3074457345617480671--1#!&tab=vao

gently caress dell/Alienware hard again lol. They learned NOTHING from last time and tried to sell linus antivirus and financing like 20 times.

https://youtu.be/Gz7WMF4wWko

Excellent I'll take a look at both.

Haha I remember having to deal with both Dell/Alienware over a decade ago when I work with my college's shop. Even back then they were a hassle to deal with.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

sean10mm posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($726.99 @ Staples)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1668.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 16:45 EST-0500

The video card really depends on your monitor choice though.

1080p - 3060Ti $400
1440p 3070 $500
4k 3080 $700

You could probably drop to 16 GB and be just fine and shave some money off there too.

Thanks a bunch for this. Would that setup let me upgrade the graphics card in a couple years if I decide I want to do a 3070 now and put that $200 into a 4k capable monitor, or am I better off just biting the bullet if I can swing the money?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Because good 4k monitors are much more expensive than everything else right now you'd be spending the same amount, or more, to have a worse experience driving a 4k monitor with a 3070 than driving a 1440p high refresh rate monitor with a 3080 imo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I don't know all the technical ins and outs, but it seems a really bad idea with minimal upside and heaps of potential downside. Is she really going to need instant access to 4 terabytes of storage? Couldn't she learn about the other drive while filling up the first one?

I guess if you already have 4 terabytes of stuff it's a bit different, but I've had too many horrific drive failure events to think this is a good idea.

Interestingly enough, it's been a long time since I've had a drive failure cause any problems. Probably have ~60 TB of drives at home and no issues. The thing about our workstations is that there isn't going to be anything on them that is a pain to reinstall, or anything we'd lose. OneDrive has all of our misc stuff from various user folders, Google Photos / Google Drive has anything else that doesn't fall under that. Our NAS has anything gigantic that we don't want to have to pull back down.

I'll have to mull it over some more. Sure, 2 separate 2 TB drives sound gigantic now, but with game sizes growing the way they are, I could easily see us fast-forwarding 2-3 years and having a juggle installs and move stuff around. Not the end of the world, would just be nice if there was a cleaner solution.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Because good 4k monitors are much more expensive than everything else right now you'd be spending the same amount, or more, to have a worse experience driving a 4k monitor with a 3070 than driving a 1440p high refresh rate monitor with a 3080 imo.
Yeah this is why I'm going to end up going with a 3070 and a high refresh rate 1440p monitor for now, until a few years down the road when 4K monitors with a decent refresh rate aren't stupid expensive

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

FreeKillB posted:

I took a shot at cleaning this up:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($389.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1019.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-25 00:34 EDT-0400

The main point of note is that the GPU market is in a ... particular state right now. With the incoming 3070 and 6000 series launches the GPU power you can get in the $400 range could shift rapidly. On the other hand, that could take some months to shake out if initial supplies are bottlenecked, so if you want everything in by the holidays it might be fine to just pull the trigger on a 5700xt now.

Notes
* Their parametric selection is probably fine as a storage drive, but I think that it's the kind of dram-less ssd's that is not recommended as a boot drive. The WD SN550 is great value here at the moment
* In this range I would aim for a gold PSU rather than bronze
* I don't have any specific issues with the ASRock the selection picked (it actually appears to have a debug LED indicator, whose lack is the usual issue with the cheaper ASRock boards), but I think in this price range there are a number of solid microATX boards. The MSI B550M Pro-VDH Wifi is pretty good value here
* Technically the crucial has an advantage over the RAM I picked (apparently it is more likely to be compatible if you add in another 2x8gb kit down the road) but I thought that it was worth saving 15-20% to get the Ripjaws instead [e: looks like the parametric selection is forcing CL16 and ignoring CL18, which paying money for a basically imperceptible difference]
* Case is up to taste, if you want to aim for a higher price point the Meshify C is a thread favorite. Other options I'll throw out there are the Phanteks P300/ P300A Mesh and the NZXT H510 [looks like the focus g mini is cheaper on the canadian site]

e2: looks like us vs canada doesn't change my recommendations too much, although if your $1000 target is in CAD, then that would make things more complicated [One can get there more or less by dropping down to a 2600, a cheap non-Asrock b450 board and a 1660 super. I think the thread is generally been uniform in recommending the 3600 over the 2600 as of late but the price difference is pretty steep]

[The link you posted recommends different things depending on setting to us vs canada but it think the points are generally the same overall]

Thanks for this, I ordered is and everything arrived, not planning on putting it together until christmas. one question, I've watched a few 'build a PC' youtube videos, and some of them put thermal paste, is this something I should be doing with my parts? I can pick some up, as I think my last tube is over 10 years old (I think I fixed my PS3 with it way way back when).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

:toot: Problem solved! Money narrowly liberated from the jaws of a wasting :toot:

but uh, like y'all said I might as well get the 5800 huh? Its got mores cores huh? A beefier badder bitch huh? And its the more expensive one so maybe it'll be easier to get too, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/Go5tLO6ipxw

😳 Im sorry I said HP was ok.

The parts were good but they did something unholy to the power limits on them.

ibuypower is the best
Cyberpower is next
Maingear
HP last imo despite having great parts
Dell is below last

Origin PC has delightful tech support but they cost too much so the parts are the worst.

We dont know about Corsair build quality since they didnt answer the phone fast enough but they also didnt have a computer in the right price range for the show.

Corsair purchased Origin PC so I really wanted to see them in this but the parts they use seem good, but similarly overpriced of course.

The overpriced computer sellers might have better 30 series stock availability or the rich people might run them out of stock faster.

Happy hunger games!

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 3, 2020