Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I have never been able to get the hang of Grimm’s floating projectile spam attack, every time I beat him it’s because he decided not to do it much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Replaying this cause I got it on PC on sale and, man you can really get around once you get the mantis claw. I've bumbled my way throughout the entire world at this point, gotten the dream nail before the heart and fought bosses way way way out of the intended order. I've gotten the upgraded Down Spell before even getting a nail upgrade.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Organza Quiz posted:

Without wanting to set off ten pages of Difficulty In Games Discourse, are there any decent mods for HK that make it easier? Like healing or damage reduction or not having to walk-of-shame back to bosses before you get dreamgate. I have a friend who loves the aesthetic of the game, it's exactly their thing, but they're just getting frustrated with the difficulty of it and it doesn't have a convenient godmode option like Hades does. Any chance the fan community has stepped in to fill the gap?

Your friend just needs to become the Hollow Point Knight.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

skasion posted:

I have never been able to get the hang of Grimm’s floating projectile spam attack, every time I beat him it’s because he decided not to do it much

he does it at 75%, 50%, and 25% health every time, unless you do enough damage during one to skip over one.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

b_d posted:

he does it at 75%, 50%, and 25% health every time, unless you do enough damage during one to skip over one.

Plus once at the start, if you hit him while he's bowing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gvBksTOso

Perpetual Noob is a great resource if you're struggling with any Hollow Knight boss. He breaks every attack down in painstaking frame-by-frame detail and gives advice on how to dodge them, loadouts you can use, etc.

He's been working on his AbsRad guide for somewhere around half a year now. :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

skasion posted:

There isn't really much to it other than sitting in a corner and shorthopping your way into the projectile safe zones though, is there?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I decided to give Steel Soul a try:

(Number of times I quit the game mid-combat due to low health: Just once)

Between the ability top sell rancid eggs for ~400 geo each and the fact that the main money sink (Unbrakable charms) being functionally useless, you end up up with preposterous amounts of Geo just lying around in your inventory. I ended the game holding 10000 Geo plus about 7000 in unsold relics.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

I decided to give Steel Soul a try:

(Number of times I quit the game mid-combat due to low health: Just once)

Between the ability top sell rancid eggs for ~400 geo each and the fact that the main money sink (Unbrakable charms) being functionally useless, you end up up with preposterous amounts of Geo just lying around in your inventory. I ended the game holding 10000 Geo plus about 7000 in unsold relics.

I'm just quietly thankful they never updated it to be 112% in steelsoul mode, or whatever it is these days.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Replaying this lately and I'm exiting the junk pit and.. loving you can see the fungal wastes and the giant balloon enemies in the far back ground. God drat.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
This is probably old but I just discovered it

Make your own vessel

https://picrew.me/image_maker/143336

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NoMas posted:

Make your own vessel

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Actually did this a while ago.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

This is mine from a while ago, might mess around with it again later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just got into this last month cause it was free on PS+, and I feel like an idiot for not figuring this out sooner.

You know the many platforming sections where you have to wall hug/jump with the Mantis Claw then dash over the top that's covered with spikes?
Like so:

For the longest time I was CONSTANTLY running into the spikes at the top when I tried to jump up with enough height to get over the spikes. Or, if I purposely jumped further out to the left, I wouldn't have a long enough dash to get over the spikes.

Then I found out you DON'T need to press "right" (or whichever direction button the wall is in) to keep wall hugging. Once you touch it, you'll just stay attached and slide down normally without having to press a direction. So I kept hitting the spikes because I was used to Mega Man style wall hugging/jumping where you DO have to press in the direction of the wall to stay attached, so unless I timed it perfectly, my little knight would always move slightly to the right just as he was going up the wall when I jumped, and therefore would run into the spikes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
As long as there’s no spikes above you can pogo hop across them too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cartoon Man posted:

As long as there’s no spikes above you can pogo hop across them too.

True, but my point was that I was dying from hitting the side of the spikes as I came up along side, because by pushing "right", for instance, on the controller I was shoving myself into them needlessly.

Also I suck as pogoing, though I forced myself to get better just yesterday by getting that soul fragment in...Deepnest(?) that requires pogoing on those stupid giant centipedes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Pogoing is a lot easier with the charms that extend nail length (I last played HK like a year ago so I couldn't tell you the names), especially while you're still getting the hang of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Longnail and Mark of Pride extremely help. But yeah it’s something a lot of people struggle with and eventually stop playing the game over.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Longnail and Mark of Pride extremely help. But yeah it’s something a lot of people struggle with and eventually stop playing the game over.

Is there anything in the game that actually requires the technique? It makes Mark of the Fool and White Palace a lot easier, and you can even sequence break some early areas, but I don't think there's ever a situation where you couldn't just get by with conventional jumping and wall-clinging.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've beaten the game once and am halfway through another playthrough and I did not know you can pogo on stationary spikes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

now that it's coming back to me i think there's an optional side area where you have to pogo across a bunch of big floating armor bugs but a) i can't remember if it has a bottomless pit at the bottom or, like, acid water that you can eventually swim through and b) it's for a mask fragment or something similarly non-essential

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

now that it's coming back to me i think there's an optional side area where you have to pogo across a bunch of big floating armor bugs but a) i can't remember if it has a bottomless pit at the bottom or, like, acid water that you can eventually swim through and b) it's for a mask fragment or something similarly non-essential

I recognize the area you're talking about and I think you can use the super dash to get across that

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That area was the first time I learned to hate pogoing, and I don't think I had a "longer nail" upgrade at that point. Beat my head against it for a LONG time because I was convinced I had to go that way to unlock a new area (I can't remember where I was really supposed to go...not that way.) I can't remember if it's a soul or mask fragment, but one of the two, and then it ends at a dead end that is a second entrance to the Queen's Garden, but can't only be unlocked from the Garden side.

And yeah, it's acid at the bottom, so it's not even required to pogo if you get the acid-proof item that I just acquired recently. (And I'm going to assume there's no "spike proof" item to collect for all the spike-platforming I hate doing?)

I also finally got my third (total) piece of Pale Ore from rescuing 31 Grubs, and just did the...third(?) nail upgrade to the coiled nail. Now just need to get the last 3, which, cause I'm a "cheater" as my GF puts it because I look some stuff up on a wiki, is from getting a LOT more essence, beating the second round in the coliseum, and I think the last one is in the Crystal area...not sure I got that one.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 2, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just bought Ori and the Will of the wisps, so of course the first thing I do is reinstall Hollow Knight (?) after many years of absence.

One: I just did that area we're talking about. The game heavily implies pogo-ing is the correct answer, as it's also taught you pogo tricks in the Forgotten Crossroads for getting grubs, crossing giant centipedes, etc. Pogoing sucks, as does most of the super masochistic platforming segments HK like putting in for no good reason.

Two: The very first time I pressed the jump button upon reinstalling, I was surprised and how floaty the controls are. It's a complaint I've heard before and never had an opinion on until now. I know the HK combat loop is strongly based around the avatar having a lot of vertical movement, but it's kinda strange seeing a metriodvania where you start the game with high-jump unlocked. I can totally see it being off-putting to some people.

Game's still good, yet I've noticed the enjoyment level is mostly based around how fluidly I'm finding new areas. I'm trying to unlock things differently than I did years ago (eg, hit the spider's den asap after Mantis lords) and the fun totally comes in ebbs and flows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hard platforming is its own reward, and anyone describing the physics in Hollow Knight as "floaty" doesn't actually know what the word means

it's about lack of air control, which is as far from HK's model as you can possibly get. original La Mulana has floaty physics; the original Mario Brothers games have floaty physics. games like HK and Super Meat Boy do not

e: i've also heard it used to describe games with noticeable delay between input and your character responding, but... the same applies there, that's just categorically untrue of HK

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 2, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Actually pogo rules

Y'all need more duck tales in your life

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pogo is good and masochistic platforming challenges rule.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

theres a place you have to pogo on a centipede to go upwards

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that's for a mask fragment (or a vessel shard, I forget)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pogoing indeed rules and is a very powerful tool for some boss fights

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Pogo'ing is how I kill a poo poo ton on enemies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like that beast tamer fight that some people struggle with is super easy if you can pogo well. Flukemarm too, just bounce for awhile and then abyss shriek a couple of times

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

NoMas posted:

Make your own vessel

this rules

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mover posted:

this rules

Ori and the Hole Full of Gross Bugs

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, having finished my second playthrough of HK, now with DLC, it's interesting to see how some of my opinions have changed over the years:

-First point, game is good. Took about 25 hours to 100% the second playthrough, so that's a lot of fun and an appropriate playtime without dragging. Things still hold up.
-The story is suuuuper obfuscated. I can buy that the player knight knows what he's doing even if I, the player, do not (eg, why am I killing this sleeping dude again? He's just standing there), but when the Grimm Troupe hit I'm pretty goddamn sure the player knight doesn't know what's going on, nobody explains squat, and quick let's break the cycle of the troupe since we're all slaves somehow?!
-Pogo-ing is awful. The White Palace was actually fun this time around, and I've played a lot of 'hard' platformers since my first HK playthrough (eg Celeste), but pogo-ing is still bad.
-I took a quick glance inside Godhome, saw about a hundred statues of bosses, got one of them 2/3rds of the way done before my brain kicked in and asked me wtf I was doing with my life. There's probably a thousand hours of grinding in there, jesus.
And my main beef:
-Way, way, WAY too much content is hidden behind secrets that are unreasonable to find. I almost missed the entire Grimm DLC since I missed that one breakable wall and had to wiki it after I'd done 2/3 sleepers. But me missing that one wall could be on me! But not me wondering where the White Dung Defender fight was, as I vaguely knew he popped up later on and you broke a floor to get him. Turns out he only shows after you have all 3 sleepers done, and floor slam a totally innocuous place that doesn't have tells. poo poo like that, and there's more than a few of those. It's not as bad as Nethack, but there's so much drat fun content/charms that no reasonable person will ever find without the wiki, maybe like a third of all the "main" content I'd guess.

Again, game is still good and I'm stoked for Silksong whenever it hits, and now to actually play this Ori game that I bought.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Godhome is worth going back to...after you've taken a little break, I will admit. There are some extremely memorable boss fights unique to it and by the time you presumably have all of the upgrades unlocked the amount of time and effort it takes to get through the various boss rushes is not nearly as bad as you might be expecting (to a point!). It honestly becomes a different sort of game but I wound up enjoying it almost as much as the main game by the time I hit Pure Vessel.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

this was fun I love Hollow Knight

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
There should’ve been an end game charm that signals when a secret breakable wall is nearby or an invisible path. They could balance it by having it eat four charm slots or something.