Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
On the news they were saying these vaccines likely only protect you for up to 6 months. I guess I was vaccine dumb and thought it was for life or something. So we will need to take these shots every 6 months forever?

I would imagine most health care companies will require you to have the vaccine or you go on the list like smokers who have to pay an extra monthly fee of $100. Likely more than that $200-400 extra per month? Until you can prove you got the vaccine/quit smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Philthy posted:

On the news they were saying these vaccines likely only protect you for up to 6 months. I guess I was vaccine dumb and thought it was for life or something. So we will need to take these shots every 6 months forever?
No, that is likely not accurate at all. Pfizer has said at least a year, but the data we're seeing on immunity suggests it will be stable for even longer. Obviously we can't know 100% until we get that far out but I wouldn't waste any energy worrying about that aspect at this point.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my hope is that after the first one while some people who have immune system problems or other issues might need boosters, for most other people it just becomes like one of the other common coronaviruses that you generally don't notice

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ben shapino posted:

so the placebo killed a guy?

died of placebo or with placebo??

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So the real vaccine makes you immortal?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tagra posted:

I really did think Twitter was all Russian bots or propaganda machines of some sort until I saw the videos of people banging on election centers chanting "Stop the count". There really are that many people who truly believe these things... :negative:

Repeat ANYTHING enough times loud enough, people will believe it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

just lol if the well deserved obliteration of the US health insurance industry comes about, not because they cheerfully left their clients to die, but because "aint no doomcorp makin me take the alien microwhatsit injections"

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Strategic Tea posted:

just lol if the well deserved obliteration of the US health insurance industry comes about, not because they cheerfully left their clients to die, but because "aint no doomcorp makin me take the alien microwhatsit injections"

That's actually a good point. Do insurance companies treat lack of vaccinations like smoking? Refuse coverage or upping rates due to not having it?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

pro starcraft loser posted:

That's actually a good point. Do insurance companies treat lack of vaccinations like smoking? Refuse coverage or upping rates due to not having it?

Will it make them more money forcing them to take the vaccine / paying $100+ a month if they dont or having the people sit in a hospital for 30 days costing them 10+M per person?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Philthy posted:

Will it make them more money forcing them to take the vaccine or having the people sit in a hospital for 30 days?

Denying coverage because they didn't get vaccinated for (whatever) will probably be more profitable.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

Denying coverage because they didn't get vaccinated for (whatever) will probably be more profitable.

They wont be legally able to deny coverage. They can add "discounts" if you have the vaccine and don't smoke. Meaning, they raise all the rates across the board and then it goes back to normal with "discounts" for the people who get vaccinated / quit smoking. They all did this with smoking about 10 years or so back. At least for my heath coverage. It was going to jump $100 for everyone. But if you didn't smoke you got $100 off per month.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Philthy posted:

The media has butchered the reporting on anything science, from everything I've seen. They continually take a scientific position of "We have no evidence x happening" and turn it into "x doesn't happen." Scientists won't tell you immunity will last x years until it's been x years since the first chunk of people in their study got COVID and have been retested. Every study I've seen posted has indicated that immunity looks like it will be fairly long lasting. Whether that means a few years, decades, or lifetime remains to be seen, but it's not a binary thing so even if you somehow catch COVID again in five years you might have a lot more mild effects.

quote:

I would imagine most health care companies will require you to have the vaccine or you go on the list like smokers who have to pay an extra monthly fee of $100. Likely more than that $200-400 extra per month? Until you can prove you got the vaccine/quit smoking.

If they could get away with increasing fees for bad choices, a COVID booster would likely be fairly far down the line.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Theres a new article on CNN, which now I can't easily find, that makes it sound like the vaccine won't be widely available for a long time. Maybe July. I'm 45, was really hoping to get it in March. :(

But, the article makes no mention of the fact that a huge chunk of americans don't want the vaccine. Maybe 40+% although this could change. In addition, it appears that people who have had Covid might be immune for years and decades and therefore wouldn't need the vaccine, although this isn't definite yet. Not sure how many people who get covid will decide they don't need the vaccine... But by spring who knows how many americans will have had it. Could be 50%. The CDC estimated 53M americans had covid by end of Sept.

July seems pessimistic to me. I imagine they're going off of numbers if we're only using the two mRNA vaccines that look likely to be approved. Johnson and Johnson and Oxford seem to have a much larger capacity (and perhaps already have a large stockpile?) and may get approved early next year.

In all likelihood doctors will still recommend people who tested positive get the shot, but I doubt most people in that position are going to be begging to be in the front of the line given what we know about immunity so far.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://twitter.com/kyamamura/status/1333519939924152320

That's less than one tenth of a percent of California's population. There's over 1.4 million people working in the healthcare industry alone in CA.

(Also note that the immunity benefits of the vaccine don't kick in until 3 weeks after the second dose, which would be the start of Feb for those 327K people. )

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Philthy posted:

They wont be legally able to deny coverage. They can add "discounts" if you have the vaccine and don't smoke. Meaning, they raise all the rates across the board and then it goes back to normal with "discounts" for the people who get vaccinated / quit smoking. They all did this with smoking about 10 years or so back. At least for my heath coverage. It was going to jump $100 for everyone. But if you didn't smoke you got $100 off per month.

Reminds me of a colleague who has private health insurance (in the UK, so extremely optional and basically a luxury) who got a 'discount' for wearing those fitness monitor watches.

Literally you must pay extra for the privilege of not wearing active spyware tracking your location and heartbeat :nsa:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I still need the feeling to remind you that rational people can actually oppose these new hastened vaccinations because of a very recent and very real concern:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_pandemic_vaccine#Pandemrix-related_increase_of_narcolepsy_in_Finland_and_Sweden

Obviously all adults in the critical sectors will get that one to be able to function, but there will be a period where non-mandatory people will just sit out and wait, especially if they are less than 20 year old.

EDIT: These people are not against vaccinations per say, but they are absolutely against hastened and not-mass population-tested vaccinations because what happened last time.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 1, 2020

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

FFS i liked that lad and now he's just another bloody hypocrite.

Literally anyone on youtube is a hypocrite and all are bad.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Do US states have the right to prevent travel from other states? Because I'm thinking of a near future scenario where the vaccine is widely available but some states have crazy low levels of vaccination because Republicans so they end up being virus "hot spots". Meanwhile more sane states will have it under control and maybe they won't let people in from the idiot states? Is that even possible?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They could but not likely because even the strictest states don't seem to give too many fucks these days. The fact that airlines are still flying says it all.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

FiskTireBoy posted:

Do US states have the right to prevent travel from other states? Because I'm thinking of a near future scenario where the vaccine is widely available but some states have crazy low levels of vaccination because Republicans so they end up being virus "hot spots". Meanwhile more sane states will have it under control and maybe they won't let people in from the idiot states? Is that even possible?

Philthy posted:

They could but not likely because even the strictest states don't seem to give too many fucks these days. The fact that airlines are still flying says it all.

I think that's something that might fall under the federal government, specifically congress, via the commerce clause, but IANAL so I dunno what weird moon law applies to who can really say who can and can't cross state borders.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

i am harry posted:

Literally anyone on youtube is a hypocrite and all are bad.

i will not have you slander ulillillia like that

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My biggest fear about the covid vaccine is that its going to hurt when they inject it into my penis

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Scientist posted:

My biggest fear about the covid vaccine is that its going to hurt when they inject it into my penis

I hear it makes your dong giant.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Side effect: poo poo, cum, puke at the same time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

teen witch posted:

Honestly make me look like loving Pinhead with the vaccines, hell if I could trial them I would.

Stanford university is trialing an oral vaccine pill, they're looking for volunteers, sfchronicle has an article about it with the email to enroll

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

wilderthanmild posted:

I think that's something that might fall under the federal government, specifically congress, via the commerce clause, but IANAL so I dunno what weird moon law applies to who can really say who can and can't cross state borders.

The interstate highways are federal property so states can't prevent the use of those. They could put checkpoints on the exits but there are just too many. Best they could do is just make it illegal and hope that deters some people.

E: this also has interesting consequences for traveling with guns, where for example you can legally travel through NJ with a loaded gun in your car if you stay on the interstate, but if you go off it instantly becomes a felony.

human garbage bag fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 2, 2020

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Remember the swingers party in New Orleans in November? 41 positive cases out of 300 attendees. The organizer wrote a blog post justifying why they did it, and then eschews all responsibility. Like, he genuinely doesn't seem to get why it's his fault.

"You see, we have no idea how many people got tested after our event, nor if anyone tested positive and didn’t tell us. There could also be people that are positive, but without symptoms, so they never got tested."

Yeah dude. We all knew that. That's why you don't hold these kinds of events.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

human garbage bag posted:

The interstate highways are federal property so states can't prevent the use of those. They could put checkpoints on the exits but there are just too many. Best they could do is just make it illegal and hope that deters some people.

Some states have checkpoints for checking for produce that might be carrying pests. Maybe that same line of justification could be used to ask people to present proof of having had a vaccination.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

Here in Australia they closed the borders without much trouble whenever a state had a breakout (there were always people trying to sneak across and getting grabbed by the cops, and some state and federal politicians screaming OPEN THE BORDERS because of the loss of commerce, and media frenzies when politicians made exceptions for Hollywood actors or whatever but that was all pretty much expected) but idiot billionaire Clive Palmer got his knickers in a twist because he wanted to cross a state border and they wouldn't grant him an exemption even though he is very rich and therefore rules should not apply to him so he tried suing that state under Section 92 of the Australian constitution which guarantees movement between states.
Lawyers for the state went "Hey there's a pandemic on and closing the border is reasonable and necessary, plus there's over 70 years of precedent against Section 92 backing this up" and the High Court judge ruled on the case and pretty much went "Yeah that's all pretty obvious, gently caress you Clive, pay the court costs."

Note that this is the same idiot billionaire who bought 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine back in April and donated them to the Australian stockpile and the doctors went "Uh thanks, I guess this will come in handy if we have a malaria outbreak?????"

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The Scientist posted:

Well, at least it doesn't result in sterilizing immunity...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Philthy posted:

Side effect: poo poo, cum, puke at the same time.

Back in 2017 I had a pneumonia so bad I pissed and puked on the floor at the same time from coughing so hard. If the vaccine makes me cum too, I'll take it.

I already regret typing this but I'm gonna post anyway.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

One of my friends in the UK just polled his friends and 70% are not having it.
If that or anything like it happens country wide, what will happen???
It’s so frustrating what social media has done to us.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Bape Culture posted:

Thankfully that's not representative of the general UK population.

However the fall globally due to misinformation is a real concern.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
It's horrible of me but I'm kind of looking forward to the deaths spiking, if only to see the idiots scramble to explain it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
North Dakota shooting for that high score

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1333822333681889280

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Bape Culture posted:

It's of necessarily social media.
If accepting something is contingent on trusting the government, and the government has enacted one fuckup after another, continuously, for several years...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Atopian posted:

It's of necessarily social media.
If accepting something is contingent on trusting the government, and the government has enacted one fuckup after another, continuously, for several years...

Isn’t it a bit weird that the majority of anti science, anti mask, anti vax people are right wing? They want authoritarianism but not for anything positive as far as I can tell. Strange times.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

According to worldometer, they're 8th in deaths/million so a little way to go yet. New jersey is around 1 in 500

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

According to worldometer, they're 8th in deaths/million so a little way to go yet. New jersey is around 1 in 500

Yeah but New Jersey blew their load early on and just aren't putting in the same effort in these days

North Dakota are workin' hard on pushing their numbers

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
We're in for some good lols this month as theres bound to be lots of covid-denier gop politicans getting caught buying & bullying their way to the head of the vaccine queue.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

compshateme85 posted:

Remember the swingers party in New Orleans in November? 41 positive cases out of 300 attendees. The organizer wrote a blog post justifying why they did it, and then eschews all responsibility. Like, he genuinely doesn't seem to get why it's his fault.

"You see, we have no idea how many people got tested after our event, nor if anyone tested positive and didn’t tell us. There could also be people that are positive, but without symptoms, so they never got tested."

Yeah dude. We all knew that. That's why you don't hold these kinds of events.

Notice how many of the sentences start with "I". Narcissism turns out to be deadly in a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FiskTireBoy posted:

People from Wisconsin are not allowed in Chicago.