Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It sounds like the load balancer is the problem if you're getting results consistent with one not being present.

Yup, but the load balancer clearly shows one node leaving, then coming back, then the other node leaving and coming back.

edit: terrible snipe.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Is it holding sessions open after flipping from Server A to Server B? Cached or persistent sessions?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress my coworkers who refuse to wear a mask. Just gently caress them.

My company will fire your rear end no questions asked if you take your mask off while in the building. Also you have to fill out a questionnaire before coming in, and add your name to an excel spreadsheet which shows how many people are expected to be in the office that day. If there are more than 25% total capacity expected for the day, you can’t come in.

What I am saying is: Bob wouldn’t be working at my company anymore, because he needs to just wear the loving mask. :v:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Is it holding sessions open after flipping from Server A to Server B? Cached or persistent sessions?

It turned out to be completely stupid: Even though the process was completed, the database was still actively processing indexes and other disk activity when the database server was added back into the load balancer pool. Adding a 5 minute sleep timer to the script right before the server is added back into the pool produces a nice, flat, 16-20ms line on my little graph here.

Of course that's fine additional minutes that the workload has a single point of failure, but what evs.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been asked to train everyone in our 3-way matching of goods receipts, purchase orders and invoices. Okay, no problem. I'll re-train them because I already did this in March with go-live of the system. I've been also asked to make ensure people follow the new process and they were very surprised when I told them I have gently caress-all authority to make anybody follow anything. Especially since I've been telling them for months that people are flatly refusing to follow procedures and they do do gently caress-all about it, even though that causes 95% of the reported problems. They even started working around me (because they didn't want to hear that the problem was caused by manually creating purchase orders instead of creating them from the MRP, for example) and were supported in this by management. But now I'm supposed to make them follow procedure? I think not.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The same 5-6 people have problems logging into VPN every morning....

Going to tattoo some passwords on some peoples hands.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Heh, someone who retired 2 years ago called and said they can't get into their email. Must not use it much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why is someone that is retired, and ostensibly no longer an employee, using company e-mail 2 years after the fact.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

Why is someone that is retired, and ostensibly no longer an employee, using company e-mail 2 years after the fact.

Why was their account not locked out the moment they left the company is the bigger question.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why was their account not locked out the moment they left the company is the bigger question.

It was. She's apparently never tried to use it until now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

My mom still has her university email after being retired on long term disability for the better part of a decade now. It’s the only one she uses - she’s has it for literally decades now! I can see it being just one of those decent human things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

I think she was trying to access her 401k documents or something along those lines

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

My mom still has her university email after being retired on long term disability for the better part of a decade now. It’s the only one she uses - she’s has it for literally decades now! I can see it being just one of those decent human things.

It's not uncommon for universities to give you email after you've finished school.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Iron Rose posted:

An unsecured company email address is an exploitable attack vector and needs to be locked the gently caress down regardless of why and how someone left.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

It's not uncommon for universities to give you email after you've finished school.

Or research laboratories to keep desks for retired scientists. The one I'm at, several people have been "retired" for 10 years and still participate in the experiments they ran and have offices (or cubicles) assigned to them. In some lines of work people never fully go away. :iiam:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

An unsecured company email address is an exploitable attack vector and needs to be locked the gently caress down regardless of why and how someone left.

I’m not sure it’s any more an attack vector than the dozens of other emails used by hapless academics who wouldn’t know a phish from a fish. Moreover, it’s certainly something you can mitigate with sensible identity management (which admittedly lol).

I think the human decency factor here outweighs a very minor security concern, especially in universities and academia where people float in and out of regular employment while nevertheless maintaining their status symbol of belonging to X organization.

I guess what I’m saying is there are bigger fish to fry than old emails without access to anything other than email, and be nice to my poor mum :( !

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can understand why universities do it, but I will say from my limited experience with "oh they worked here for 40 years and retired, this was the only email address they ever used, let them keep it" is that any time you have a project trying to improve security, those folks will be a hassle. Implement / change MDM? MFA? Changes around passwords? These people don't read their emails and you'll never be able to get in touch with them, let alone get them to understand any sort of change.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see maintaining a forward for x years after someone leaves a place they were at for decades and where it was their only account, but allowing logins and messages to be sent from that address just leaves too much room for bad things to happen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The AD account and mailbox for the I.T. manager who left in 2012 is still active because Bill is afraid that something might go wrong if it gets closed.

Bill is also still a domain admin, and admin on most of our critical systems. About once a year the CEO or one of my bosses will express their concern, saying something like "Why does Bill have this access? Didn't we take it away?" and I will offer to remove it, and then they get cold feet and decline. 2021 is almost here so I'm waiting for this to happen again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The AD account and mailbox for the I.T. manager who left in 2012 is still active because Bill is afraid that something might go wrong if it gets closed.

Bill is also still a domain admin, and admin on most of our critical systems. About once a year the CEO or one of my bosses will express their concern, saying something like "Why does Bill have this access? Didn't we take it away?" and I will offer to remove it, and then they get cold feet and decline. 2021 is almost here so I'm waiting for this to happen again.

Why.. why don't you just disable the account, and if it breaks something then re-enable the account and fix the issues? :confused:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Because Bill is a large man prone to breaking out into violent rages and keeping him placated is more important to me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Yeah I'll definitely attend that meeting about tickets while I'm on vacation. I'll get right on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCapEm8Nu7c

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the evilness Richter scale: where does Salesforce sit? Because they just bought their way into being relevant in my daily work life.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Things that are mystifying me: The network cabling in our new building we will be moving into soon.

Three story building with a small footprint, jack points in the two open plan floors with ducting all around the room. The middle floor with offices and the toilets has the cabling go around the outside of the building with plenty of jack points. So far so OK, looks like a normal retrofit for an 80's built office and we won't have to do much infrastructure, just throw in a switch.

Odd - all the cables on each floor go out a hole in the wall, even on the ground floor into the same plastic, interior ducting on the side of the building.

WTF - None of the cables come back into the building and it isn't external rated CAT5e.

I can't check because they are in a courtyard that we can't access yet because the windows have bars on them and no other way into it yet (we will be putting a door in from the ground floor). I suspect this building was used by the business next door as overflow before being left empty then sold off so the cables go into their building. Are they connected still to a network? Haven't plugged in yet to find out.

Also it has a phone network with some kind of PBX but gently caress that noise, rip it all out and start from scratch if we need more than the phone in reception.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you assume that every new commercial space you take over needs a full rewire for electrical and data then you won't be disappointed at least. The amount of absolutely dogshit quality work out there is genuinely impressive.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you assume that every new commercial space you take over needs a full rewire for electrical and data then you won't be disappointed at least. The amount of absolutely dogshit quality work out there is genuinely impressive.

We only had one small electrical fire after a few months in our new space.

Only the cubes were damaged, couldn't have gone smoother.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

loving Best Buy

To return poo poo you have to stand in the regular checkout line, they closed customer service

Line goes halfway to the back of the drat store

“Hey boss returns are down 87%!”

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

all returns are banned here because of covid risks

I’m sure not everywhere but everywhere I’ve been to (admittedly like, 10 stores total this year lol) has a big old “no returns” sign

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was able to do a return at Best Buy with no hassle last month.

Admittedly, things have gotten much worse since then.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The pandemic was a conspiracy to stop retail returns.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I also have done a best buy return recently. Was fairly quick though which was nice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just stand in the doorway, hurl the merchandise inside and wave your receipt shouting "I RETURN THEE! I RETURN THEE!" and by law they have to give you store credit.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Just stand in the doorway, hurl the merchandise inside and wave your receipt shouting "I RETURN THEE! I RETURN THEE!" and by law they have to give you store credit.

Only if the receipt has gold fringe

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You need to put a postage stamp on the receipt with your name written on it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Because Bill is a large man prone to breaking out into violent rages and keeping him placated is more important to me.

Let me guess, he's the kind of person who never takes a vacation, or if he does he will still check his mail every 5 minutes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

No he's just a horrible rear end in a top hat. He tells stories about being out and about with his kids and picking fights with people in parking lots.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh hey cool, they just cancelled the work from home schedule we've had for the past 7 months for "reasons".

So now instead of only 2 of us being together in our large office there'll be 5 of us in here now. Super awesome boss.

What pisses me off even more is he won't even tell us the real reason why, just some bullshit about holidays and coverage which, we're all off for those holidays anyways, us being at home would make no difference!

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Dick Trauma posted:

Oooh, so close. You have to repeat it 4 times (once to each cardinal point of the compass).

There also must be 4 other people present to witness the ritual (once again, one for each cardinal point).

Oddly enough, the four people DO NOT have to actually be at the cardinal points. Nor do they have to actually be employed by the business.

The Retail Return gods are a fickle bunch.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Jesus loving Christ people - do your goddamn jobs!

Every single person in the support center is trained on how to reset passwords. It is the very first thing you learn in training. You spend an entire day at the end of your training doing nothing but fielding password resets/account unlocks. It is the most basic function of the support center.

SO. WHY. THE. gently caress. DO. THESE. CALLS. KEEP. GETTING. TRANSFERRED?

Ok, maybe there is something fucky with the account, you're new, not sure how to fix - transfer that up to the next tier. WITH A PROPERLY FORMATTED AND NOTATED TICKET!

My last caller had been transferred 5! loving! TIMES! for a dead-rear end simple password unlock. AND NOT A SINGLE PERSON HAD STARTED A GODDAMN loving TICKET!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CollegeCop posted:

Jesus loving Christ people - do your goddamn jobs!

Every single person in the support center is trained on how to reset passwords. It is the very first thing you learn in training. You spend an entire day at the end of your training doing nothing but fielding password resets/account unlocks. It is the most basic function of the support center.

SO. WHY. THE. gently caress. DO. THESE. CALLS. KEEP. GETTING. TRANSFERRED?

Ok, maybe there is something fucky with the account, you're new, not sure how to fix - transfer that up to the next tier. WITH A PROPERLY FORMATTED AND NOTATED TICKET!

My last caller had been transferred 5! loving! TIMES! for a dead-rear end simple password unlock. AND NOT A SINGLE PERSON HAD STARTED A GODDAMN loving TICKET!

This, combined with a glut of expiring passwords, and device encryption