Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

He's in a Dalek episode

He's doomed

Prediction: He encounters Davros, derides him as being weak, beats him at arm wrestling, and declares himself the new leader of the Daleks.

Yes, there is something worse that can happen to the Daleks than having Davros around!

(And now I have irreversibly locked into my mind the image of a Dalek wearing an orange hairpiece wheeling around asking other Daleks if they are tired of winning yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or the trees in the story being horny (The Mark of the Rani)

That lecherous loving tree :argh:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

That scene got me through a lot of poo poo in the past five years

same, it kept repeating in my mind while remembering relatively recent trauma and i think it helped to some degree

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

That scene got me through a lot of poo poo in the past five years

:v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

(And now I have irreversibly locked into my mind the image of a Dalek wearing an orange hairpiece wheeling around asking other Daleks if they are tired of winning yet.)

*checks*

Also doubles for Boris Johnson

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
“Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole to leave companion roles”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55128939

Does this mean writers will have to give Yaz something to do?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I forget, do we care about spoilers in this thread any more or not?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

I forget, do we care about spoilers in this thread any more or not?

The way I've generally understood it, casting news is fine, trailers are fine, but anything more, including leaks and plot-based press releases that look suspiciously like they might be covering for a leak (like, say, the one that announced the Mondasian Cybermen were gonna be in Capaldi's final season) aren't.

EDIT: Basically, anything that Graham Norton would bring up if he had Jodie Whittaker on as a guest is fair game.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 2, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shouldn't mention that the Doctor is going to start talking about how the Daleks have some good ideas, actually, they just need to tone down the rhetoric then...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Shouldn't mention that the Doctor is going to start talking about how the Daleks have some good ideas, actually, they just need to tone down the rhetoric then...

How do we expect the Daleks to change if we don't .wet them in the middle?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Burkion posted:

There are fine people on both sides of the Skaro civil war, duh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ATTTENTION. ATTENTION!! DAAA-LEK ANNOUNCEMENT! WE HAVE DECIDED THAT WE WILL ONLY EXTERMINATE... THE POOR!

*muffled approval from all major political parties*

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

ATTTENTION. ATTENTION!! DAAA-LEK ANNOUNCEMENT! WE HAVE DECIDED THAT WE WILL ONLY EXTERMINATE... THE POOR!

I'm hearing that with the tell-tale singsong of a Dalek making that snarky higher-pitched ending to the sentence to indicate they know they're being absolute dicks, and it's the highlight of my morning.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Everything is better now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Thanks, York_M_Chan! Eagerly awaiting the second package.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Season 18 is excellent, I've been going through it again since it's 40 years old now. Eventually I get to Warrior's Gate, and Warrior's Gate is superb.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sweet set, nice cover. I love Christmas. :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FreezingInferno posted:

Season 18 is excellent, I've been going through it again since it's 40 years old now. Eventually I get to Warrior's Gate, and Warrior's Gate is superb.

Is this implicitly decrying state of decay???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Help me out thread, because the Wiki isn’t very enlightening; did the War Doctor ever encounter the Weeping Angels? For some reason I was under the impression that the Time War was an “everyone in the galaxy choose one side or the other” event but apparently I was mistaken.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Help me out thread, because the Wiki isn’t very enlightening; did the War Doctor ever encounter the Weeping Angels? For some reason I was under the impression that the Time War was an “everyone in the galaxy choose one side or the other” event but apparently I was mistaken.

There's nothing in the TV canon to suggest it. They're mentioned briefly by Rassilon about the two dissenting Time Lords, but as a reference. My impression on the Time War is that the two belligerents are the Time Lords and the Daleks and that almost everyone else involved was collateral damage from being in the wrong place at the wrong... thing outside of time. The angels are scavengers, so they probably feasted well on some stranded Time Lords now and again during the war.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought the idea was that the Time Lords and the Daleks locked everybody else out of the conflict. Wasn't there a line about the Sontarans wanting to get involved in the Time War, but unable to?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

I thought the idea was that the Time Lords and the Daleks locked everybody else out of the conflict. Wasn't there a line about the Sontarans wanting to get involved in the Time War, but unable to?

That doesn't track at all. We see humans being directly effected by the war in Night Of.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That doesn't track at all. We see humans being directly effected by the war in Night Of.

Yeah, but they're not direct participants, they just get wrecked by a war that fucks up all of reality.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is this implicitly decrying state of decay???

State of Decay is very good. Warrior's Gate is one of, if not my favorite, Tom Baker stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I thought the idea was that the Time Lords and the Daleks locked everybody else out of the conflict.

Locked out in the sense that civilians in the path of a bombing raid are locked out :smith:

The Sontarans were keen to take an active part because it was the biggest war in all existence, but they were completely beneath the notice of either of the two powers duking it out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Locked out in the sense that civilians in the path of a bombing raid are locked out :smith:

The Sontarans were keen to take an active part because it was the biggest war in all existence, but they were completely beneath the notice of either of the two powers duking it out.

I thought it was more because neither wanted to give a species whose entire existence was dedicated to war access to temporal weapons.

I mean, it was established in the classic series that if the Sontarans and Rutans weren't locked in their eternal war, then there was a strong chance that either side could conquer the universe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I thought it was more because neither wanted to give a species whose entire existence was dedicated to war access to temporal weapons.

Both sides are supremacists (the Time Lords less so, but only because the other side are, well, you know... Daleks) and probably looked at Sontarans like gum they stepped on in the streets - annoying and a bitch to deal with, but ultimately meaningless.

The Sontarans successfully invaded Gallifrey in The Invasion of Time, but that was a really dumb third act to what had started as a really loving interesting story that wasted the 4th Doctor getting to give a performance as a quasi-villain, and nobody who watched it found it in any way believable. It did at least give us a Sontaran getting taken out by a plastic pool chair though.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 3, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCWilliamWho/status/1334185419509035009?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Including adverts? What?

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BBCWilliamWho/status/1334229189923377152

Those... those take place before and after the show so why is counting them? :confused:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 3, 2020

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Both sides are supremacists (the Time Lords less so, but only because the other side are, well, you know... Daleks) and probably looked at Sontarans like gum they stepped on in the streets - annoying and a bitch to deal with, but ultimately meaningless.

The Sontarans successfully invaded Gallifrey in The Invasion of Time, but that was a really dumb third act to what had started as a really loving interesting story that wasted the 4th Doctor getting to give a performance as a quasi-villain, and nobody who watched it found it in any way believable. It did at least give us a Sontaran getting taken out by a plastic pool chair though.

Just fix that by imagining a scene on the Sontaran flagship when the Doctor fires the Demat gun. Every single Sontaran except the leader vanishes. The leader pulls off his helmet revealing... THE MASTER! (Your pick of Melkur-Master or a later version.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's both versions of the Crispy Master, combining their failing bodies to make a single Master again in another bid at eternal life

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Including adverts? What?

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BBCWilliamWho/status/1334229189923377152

Those... those take place before and after the show so why is counting them? :confused:

I think they're counted as part of the time block.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That means in the US it'll be a two-hour block because of ads

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Robert J. Omb posted:

“Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole to leave companion roles”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55128939

Does this mean writers will have to give Yaz something to do?!

Yaz, Jack, and the Doctor would be a great team up for a few episodes but I doubt it will happen.

My out there prediction is that it's on New Years Day rather than Christmas because they don't want to upset kids at Christmas, and they kill off Yaz to make the Daleks seem scarier. Trying to make that a surprise is why her leaving hasn't been announced.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Yaz, Jack, and the Doctor would be a great team up for a few episodes but I doubt it will happen.

A season of this would go a long way towards making up for the 9/Rose/Jack season we were cruelly denied. :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/PercyIvorWoo/status/1334447784569810944?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't understand the comparison?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

no that's not that can't be no that's no no no that caaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTEilGNDifI

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I don't understand the comparison?

Roughly translated, it says "We are old and our bones are crumbling to dust. Soon David Tennant is going to look like the Dobby elf-thing from when Sim Master blasted him with the magic aging wand."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I just saw Bonnie Langford in London. She is tiny. :3: