Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Stuck on "Waiting for more inventory..." :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

jisforjosh posted:

Considering its Valhalla, it may just be the game? I've had to stop playing it on my 3080 since I can't go more than an hour since the patch without it crashing. Sometimes as little as 10 minutes wherein it will just lock up. No issues in any other games.

Could be, but I once got a BSOD just trying to restart my PC from a crash so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem, either. And the error codes I was getting seemed to be pointing to memory. If I never played AC Valhalla maybe I could have kept going with my prior RAM settings forever, who knows.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

air- posted:

Stuck on "Waiting for more inventory..." :sigh:

Be patient. I had this happen 4 times over the course of an hour or so and was able to get a 3070 last week.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Flaming June posted:

Was able to add it to my cart but then couldn't select a store to pick up from, so I guess it is gone!

Same.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Extremely cool that it's in my cart, but pick-up is not available within 250 miles...

Same here and on the Discord

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

NicelyNice posted:

The lack of DLSS is a killer for me. I have a 4k 60Hz monitor and a 3070 and even ignoring ray-tracing, DLSS is the difference between playing at 4k 60fps and 4k something less than 60fps on games like Control and I presume Cyberpunk 2077.

If you're sub-4k (and the majority of people are, especially gamers) and don't care about raytracing, maybe the AMD cards make sense.

thanks everyone. I'll see how the stock situation falls out after christmas when I'll be buying, but i've got an extremely oddball setup (virtualized gaming on a threadripper that's mostly used for productivity) so I may end up giving up DLSS & RT for that.

i bet long-term (FineWine™) nVidia wins this generation just because they can keep throwing computer power at training DLSS and RT will get incorporated into more games as time goes on. Also 4k adoption is going to keep going on.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Welp :negative: now showing sold out

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ughhhh this sucks. I'm ok with PS5s and Xboxs being hard to get but we need some new graphics card for work and it's loving impossssibbbleeee

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The most important thing is to not give up just because it didn't add to card the first time. As long as a listing is still there keep trying to add to cart until it disappears.

I got two 5800X and two RTX 3070 (1 set for myself & 1 for someone else), and every time it took multiple tries to add the item to the cart before it took and I was able to check out. This is across multiple sites, not adding the item the first time (or 10 times) doesn't mean poo poo if it still lists the item on sale for MSRP. You just have to keep hammering that poo poo.

Just don't f5 on Best Buy when they're doing the forced "please wait" thing or you're hosed.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Based on the weirdness that happened with my card, be sure to check in a secondary browser on BestBuy

I literally bought a card that showed as in stock in Firefox, but out of stock in Chrome, and got to buy it at my leisure since I guess nobody else could see it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I never had any luck with Best Buy. I was able to get my 5600x on launch through Amazon, and my 3070 at Newegg. Tried both of those on launch day for Best Buy and got nowhere.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I got a 5600x at best buy (shipped no pickup) and it was easy, but the cards, I dunno what this store pickup poo poo is - if that's how they are distributing them or if that means they're gone for shipping?

More than one by the time it gives me "add to cart" is already gone, which is weird because I thought it going yellow technically meant "more stock"

Oh well, this seemed like a lot of cards across all lines, maybe Wed is just The Day for BestBuy but I really think #s are improving.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

exquisite tea posted:

Could be, but I once got a BSOD just trying to restart my PC from a crash so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem, either. And the error codes I was getting seemed to be pointing to memory. If I never played AC Valhalla maybe I could have kept going with my prior RAM settings forever, who knows.

I'll try RAM timings on my end but it's not like I'm going to beat the game before CP2077 comes out and AC:Valhalla was only serving as a tide me over for that.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never had any luck with Best Buy. I was able to get my 5600x on launch through Amazon, and my 3070 at Newegg. Tried both of those on launch day for Best Buy and got nowhere.

I lucked out with Best Buy for my 3080 while at work, had never logged in on that computer and had to do the SMS verification and STILL got the card somehow.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think I finally got a card order through at Best Buy. It looks like they actually have a modern queuing system, so you can't check out if it's not in stock, right? I had two false orders at New Egg yesterday, I finally got all the way through the checkout process and then a few minutes later they were like "Oh, oops, we're actually sold out, your order doesn't count." It's strange how backward trying to order a card feels like. I feel like I remember websites having an order queue system years ago where they lock stock for you for ~15 minutes while it's in your cart, so you have time to actually check out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

jisforjosh posted:

I'll try RAM timings on my end but it's not like I'm going to beat the game before CP2077 comes out and AC:Valhalla was only serving as a tide me over for that.

I only have a couple areas left in Assassin's CTD before Hyped-Up Junk and I just want to finish it!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I gave up on Best Buy after constantly refreshing and trying to lock down a store to pick it up at, my trade offer still stands

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I have a 3070 at the final step of checkout at bestbuy but can't select a store to pick it up at, unavailable. Is there some way to force it to go to my store?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

pmchem posted:

I have a 3070 at the final step of checkout at bestbuy but can't select a store to pick it up at, unavailable. Is there some way to force it to go to my store?

In my experience that means you're SOL for now, sorry buddy.

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!

change my name posted:

I gave up on Best Buy after constantly refreshing and trying to lock down a store to pick it up at, my trade offer still stands

What are you looking to trade? I snagged a Gigabyte 3060 ti (the Eagle OC) this morning from Newegg since I couldn't get my hands on anything else.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

randoark posted:

What are you looking to trade? I snagged a Gigabyte 3060 ti (the Eagle OC) this morning from Newegg since I couldn't get my hands on anything else.

Is that the short two-fan one? If so it's perfect, I'm trying to get rid of this thing: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3070-gaming-x-trio/p/N82E16814137603

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
Was watching the Micro Center Discord this morning (https://discord.gg/D6g9BFzR), saw that Cambridge had 100+ in stock, showed up at 8:15, walked out with a EVGA FTW 3060Ti just before 10. :toot:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I'm actually relieved that it finally says Sold Out on both products. Had the Nvidia and the MSI in my cart at several different times, but couldn't close the deal.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 2, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So much for trying to get a 3080 from Bestbuy, kept clicking further and further stores only to find it eventually unavailable, oh well wont have the 5600x until Feb anyways

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

infraboy posted:

So much for trying to get a 3080 from Bestbuy, kept clicking further and further stores only to find it eventually unavailable, oh well wont have the 5600x until Feb anyways

I'm 99% sure if it goes to pickup only it isnt happening? I think these are only shipping. Anyway you are boned if you get to that point. But they had drops of 3060ti, 3070, and 3080, and Microcenter seemed to get real amounts of 3060ti stock.

Feels like the tide may be turning!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I dont mind Bestbuys pickup and verification system since I got a PS5 that way. I was probably just a bit late on seeing the stock notification. Until the next round I suppose

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!

change my name posted:

Is that the short two-fan one? If so it's perfect, I'm trying to get rid of this thing: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3070-gaming-x-trio/p/N82E16814137603

It is the shorter two-fan one but are you just looking to do a straight-up trade?

edit: I think the hassle of shipping back and forth plus the price difference for the small performance gain (I'm only 1440p) probably isn't worth it otherwise?

randoark fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 2, 2020

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

randoark posted:

It is the shorter two-fan one but are you just looking to do a straight-up trade?

Yep, as long as you throw in like $30 to cover shipping. As mentioned I'm trying to really pare back power consumption since I'm running a 550 watt PSU and the 3060 is a much better fit.

No worries if not, I know the shipping is annoying

change my name fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 2, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

change my name posted:

Yep, as long as you throw in like $30 to cover shipping. As mentioned I'm trying to really pare back power consumption since I'm running a 550 watt PSU and the 3060 is a much better fit.

you had issues with that 3070 and a 550W psu? what's your cpu?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Good god I hope that wasn’t the last 3070FE drop for weeks. Overslept by 10 minutes judging by the stock drops notifications :negative:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

twxabfn posted:

Was watching the Micro Center Discord this morning (https://discord.gg/D6g9BFzR), saw that Cambridge had 100+ in stock, showed up at 8:15, walked out with a EVGA FTW 3060Ti just before 10. :toot:

Huh the Micro Center website says the Cambridge store is closed for deep cleaning at the moment.

randoark
May 9, 2003

change my name posted:

I sent you a PM with my Discord tag, can also just do text, and we can have a quick chat about it. If we can work something out, great - otherwise.. we still have 3000-series cards in hand! Now I just need that 5600x to finish my upgrade...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

pmchem posted:

you had issues with that 3070 and a 550W psu? what's your cpu?

No, I haven't gotten it yet, but looking at PCpartpicker, this one draws 240 watts and pushes me over 400 total. I'm using a Corsair 550 watt gold+, but just want to have as much headroom as possible since I'm afraid of spikes if I try out 1440/4k gaming.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Sorry this is probably a pretty tired question, but is there any sense of when we can expect to be able to get GPUs without f5'ing like crazy?

I wanna get a 3080 and I'm not in a huge rush, but it'd be nice to get one by like... January. Should I be able to just get one at that point or should I try to keep an eye on restocks and so on?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't understand why the very items that Best Buy lists as "online only" seem to have store pickup as the only option and not shipping :confused:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

someone please just make a system where i give you $800 now and you send me the card when its my turn in line

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

someone please just make a system where i give you $800 now and you send me the card when its my turn in line

Evga has that and you don't even have to give them 800 dollars. Just go sign up

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Koramei posted:

Sorry this is probably a pretty tired question, but is there any sense of when we can expect to be able to get GPUs without f5'ing like crazy?

I wanna get a 3080 and I'm not in a huge rush, but it'd be nice to get one by like... January. Should I be able to just get one at that point or should I try to keep an eye on restocks and so on?

I don’t expect you to be able to walk into Best Buy and buy one for months still.

Until everyone has their shots are you going to see people dumping an obscene amount of money into gaming hardware.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Is there anyone near the Mayfield, OH Microcenter that could report on quantities of cards? Been trying to get cards for three friends and it's about 3hr away from where we are based. Maybe a worthwhile road trip if stock is available.

EDIT: I found the Micro Center Discord so I think I'm set. Wow, what a crazy time we live in. The guys in the Mayfield channel are putting in dibs for when they'll stop by the store to report on stock.

Numinous fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 2, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Microcenter stock is real. Just picked up my own 3060 and they still had about half their stock left. St. Louis though, sorry OH poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

twxabfn posted:

Was looking at the Dallas channel and there were people in cars at 3am this morning waiting for opening. All the cards sold out immediately. I thought about going to MC on a weekend at open, but not if I have to wait hours in line for nothing.