Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
iracing definitely feels more like driving an actual car to me than other sims do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

VelociBacon posted:

Cabbages and Kings, just get the 3 month thing for iRacing for $5 and try it out - there's a lot of tracks and cars to try and it's a blast. I started about a week ago and I've been loving it. Goon community is fantastic also.

sure that's fine and I will do it, especially if someone can answer my bigger question about the wheel I ordered vs the cheaper one ;)

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I ordered the Thrustmaster T300 GT as a starer setup...

I know these things are overpriced right now ($400, compared to an all time low of $188), and I ended up paying an extra $79 for the Ferrari edition, only because it looked like there was no free return on the normal edition, and I don't buy expensive electronics from Amazon without free returns. They told me I bought the last unit in stock and I have a delivery date of 12/8 (we'll see).

Meanwhile, this morning I noticed Prime listings for the non-Ferrari normal Thrustmaster T300 GT, 399, with maybe Amazon free returns, deliverable this week.
My question is -- are the better grips/wheel on the ferrari worth the $70-80 I paid for the upgraded edition, or should I just cancel it, get the base model, and wrap leather straps or whatever around the wheel if it pisses me off?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 1, 2020

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Anyone in the US want to buy pedals?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

VelociBacon posted:

The handling in iRacing feels a lot more realistic than anything else I've tried.

Maybe it's gotten better, last time I tried was like three years ago. Seems quite subjective anyway.

Tbh I'm not that into the competitive aspect, I'm more in it for having fun with all kinds of different cars and tracks. I'm fine if I have to do that with AI.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Other than that, my plan is to get a stick shift and a metal frame to put all this stuff in properly next Spring; my rift S will turn into a Reverb g2 whenever they ship it, and I've already got:
DiRT RALLY 2
Project Cars 2

Do it and this sounds great. Rally 2 is one of the best VR experiences there is, and with a physical h-shifter and a wheel you'll be in Rally Heaven. Seriously its so good, everything feels great and looks great.

PCars2 is a good VR game with middling AI but its a fun enough thing, especially in VR with a force-feedback wheel. The variety is great to jump around to different tracks and cars and it feels pretty realistic (but not perfect) Being able to do rainy races or night races and things like that, mixed class races, that's real fun.

As others have said, iRacing is for me the champ. The subscription and multiplayer focus of it means you'll wanna do some PCarsing around first, but you'll start to get tired of how artificial and unrealistic the AI drives. Its not awful, its just... not real racing. Which.... is awful, once you get used to it. There's just nothing like real people, but real people in other online games will inevitably be dickheads and intentionally crash into you ruining your race that you've spent 40 minutes putting in perfect laps on.

So down the road you should try out iRacing, and then you'll be hooked and you won't be able to look back to PCars. (Rally still holds up because there isn't stage rally in iRacing, only rallycross)

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

It can't be beat when it comes to multiplayer sim-racing for sure, but I can see why people don't want to get it with how expensive it is. Those cars and tracks really start to add up if you're skint.

I would still recommend anyone at least try it out for 3 months and do a full season in the MX5's, which is all free tracks. Although chances are they won't want to do online lobbies in any other sim afterwards.

While definitely true, the thing about iRacing though is how much it costs is variable up to you. You can blow tooooooons of money buying all the cars and tracks, but you really don't need to and in fact shouldn't. Starting off, rookie leagues you'll be racing free cars on free tracks, so the subscription is the only cost. As you go up, you should only ever buy one car at a time IMO. That means the only thing that adds up is buying lots of tracks, but if you only buy tracks when you actually have to then you won't actually have to buy many unless you're actually racing every single week in which case you're probably getting your money's worth out of them too.

Cojawfee posted:

iracing definitely feels more like driving an actual car to me than other sims do.

For me this is definitely the case. iRacing's handling is the yardstick I hold other games to, and I'm always a bit surprised when some people poo poo on it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

VelociBacon posted:

On a related note, the Mx5 cup is now on Laguna Seca and the feeling of the steering getting light as you crest just after the start/finish line is something that blew me away the first time I felt it.

This feeling freaked me out the first time I went over it in VR. I'd done it plenty of times on a monitor, but man, I just "feel" this kinda poo poo when I play in VR.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The biggest plus for me with iRacing is you can actually get 20 people to show up for league races.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hi! I've never been a simmer, just a fan of casual racing games. VR got me into DiRT RALLY 2 which got me looking at wheels, and then coworkers with $2000 setups suggested the Thrustmaster T300 GT as a starer setup, and after doing some research, finding out why this is better than the logitech G29, I ordered one.

I know these things are overpriced right now ($400, compared to an all time low of $188), and I ended up paying an extra $79 for the Ferrari edition, only because it looked like there was no free return on the normal edition, and I don't buy expensive electronics from Amazon without free returns. They told me I bought the last unit in stock and I have a delivery date of 12/8 (we'll see).

Meanwhile, this morning I noticed Prime listings for the non-Ferrari normal Thrustmaster T300 GT, 399, with Amazon free returns, deliverable this week.

My question is -- are the better grips on the ferrari worth the $70-80 I paid for the upgraded edition, or should I just cancel it, get the base model, and wrap leather straps or whatever around the wheel if it pisses me off?

Other than that, my plan is to get a stick shift and a metal frame to put all this stuff in properly next Spring; my rift S will turn into a Reverb g2 whenever they ship it, and I've already got:
DiRT RALLY 2
Project Cars 2
Gamepass (all the Forza games are up

Get Assetto Corsa, it's a solid sim and has endless mods, it's cheap as hell, good in VR and has a good online player base.
For what it's worth I bought the base T300 and upgraded the rim to the Ferrari one, it's much better.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Vando posted:

The biggest plus for me with iRacing is you can actually get 20 people to show up for league races.

I always wondered how much of that is because of the subscription cost, people being less likely to skip at the slightest inconvenience because it feels like wasting money.

I should have had a longer breath back then trying to get the AC races of the ground, but I got pretty deflated when half a dozen people showing up felt like a major success. I think I still have some credit on that hosting account lol

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

peter gabriel posted:

Get Assetto Corsa, it's a solid sim and has endless mods, it's cheap as hell, good in VR and has a good online player base.
For what it's worth I bought the base T300 and upgraded the rim to the Ferrari one, it's much better.

I second everything in this post. AC rules, the T300 rules, and the Ferrari wheel rules.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys should specify ACC or AC for him/her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
ACC is only the touring cars, you want AC.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
ACC is GT3/4 but yes if you want to Drive Car more generally go with good old AC

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Vando posted:

ACC is GT3/4 but yes if you want to Drive Car more generally go with good old AC
And if you do, get LA canyons

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Dusted off my old DFGT, and sunk my teeth into some AC mods recently. Once you get the wheel settings right it's a surprisingly accurate sim.

Shout out to Ghost Dog for the mod recommendations. The Singer is very fun and I'm mad that I want one even more now.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

GutBomb posted:

I second everything in this post. AC rules, the T300 rules, and the Ferrari wheel rules.

Are we talking about the one with Alcantara, or the uber-lovely F1 "replica" wheel? Because the former looks pretty awesome while the latter is a giant pile of crap compared to the basic GT rim for the T300RS.

Also, Assetto Corsa + simracingsystem.com and you have at least the semblance of organized/scheduled races at infinitely cheaper cost than iRacing (SRS is free, as is 99% of the mod tracks/cars used).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Essobie posted:

Are we talking about the one with Alcantara, or the uber-lovely F1 "replica" wheel? Because the former looks pretty awesome while the latter is a giant pile of crap compared to the basic GT rim for the T300RS.

Also, Assetto Corsa + simracingsystem.com and you have at least the semblance of organized/scheduled races at infinitely cheaper cost than iRacing (SRS is free, as is 99% of the mod tracks/cars used).

I’m talking about the alcantara one.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

iRacing's handling is the yardstick I hold other games to, and I'm always a bit surprised when some people poo poo on it.

People shouldn't poo poo on it, but there is something off about the way cars handle at the limit. I can live with it (or rather, I could, I just don't want to pay for the subscription), but I prefer the handling of rF2 and AC.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Essobie posted:

I’m talking about the alcantara one too, it's great.
I really like the tourist servers on the Nords online, it's a really chilled time. It's kind of cool driving a Mazda 767b around with a load of JDM cars, it's really good fun

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Essobie posted:

Can someone who uses SRS post a screenshot of what races are available right now? Just to get an idea of how populated it is vs something like iRacing or ACC.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s not even close to as populated. That’s been my experience every time I’ve used it, unless something major has changed

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Not even close as in it's like a medium-tier popularity series on iRacing, or not even close as in you can race on one specific slot per week at best?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The latter, in my experience

Maybe I’m super sensitive to it because the thing I like most about my two online racing platforms of choice, iracing and GT sport is that you can in general jump right into a race with minimum fuss and have a full grid

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the core problem with SRS is yes it's theoretically pick-up racing but in practice you might as well just join a league. There's a pretty good site just getting started called Grid Finder which is trying to be a universal league directory. Whether it pans out is another issue but with leagues you're at least probably going to be racing the same people every week.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah this is why I just use iRacing. The value of a large group of people on at any given time to drive (plentiful) popular series is more than worth the price of admission.

Hot lapping goofy stuff around tracks? Assetto corsa all day. One of my favorite wind-down activities is to load up the Targa Florio '73 mod (get the updated version by joining his patreon) in a road car or a slower GT car and just cruise around the Sicilian countryside for a lap (~1 hour)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
We'll see what happens as I get all this stuff installed. I think I am gonna build a custom wood rack for wheel / shifter, so it also supports my HOTAS. And because I am cheap and have a shed full of scrap wood and tools.

My existing chair is a SecretLabs Titan which seems good for this.

If I really get into this hard, I could certainly just stop putting money into Magic Arena and play iRacing instead. I have a pretty stacked collection on Arena, as long as I keep up with my dailies to some extent I can keep playing pretty much indefinitely, just can't get those sick cosmetics that let my opponents know I'm an rear end in a top hat that outspends them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Woodrig goodrig

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

We'll see what happens as I get all this stuff installed. I think I am gonna build a custom wood rack for wheel / shifter, so it also supports my HOTAS. And because I am cheap and have a shed full of scrap wood and tools.

Interested on updates on this. Almost all simracing + hotas setups I see have everything bolted on together. I guess if it's all VR it's fine, but trying to play a flight/space sim on monitors with a big rear end wheel in front of you would be very distracting. Can't think of a good way of hotswapping the wheel out of the way though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Woodrig goodrig

Goodwood festival of speed

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Yeah, SRS is not "pick up and race" by any means. It's basically a couple of steps up from public servers and one step down from league racing (in the case of the "youtuber" series). With the amount that I personally race, iRacing would be a giant waste of cash, and currently racing 7-10 20 minute races a week is just right for me (3-4 being on weekends).

If you literally want to sit down and race nonstop, with lots options, then SRS ain't it. But if you like the idea of every 6 weeks a set number of cars and tracks are scheduled that cost exactly zero money, then maybe SRS is the right fit.

Edit: Signed up for grid-finder.com... Looks cool, but it doesn't seem to be far enough along to actually find out how to join any league posted there.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 3, 2020

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

Can someone who uses SRS post a screenshot of what races are available right now?

Vando posted:

Just to get an idea of how populated it is vs something like iRacing or ACC.

The problem is mostly US vs EU. In the evenings (EU time) the servers are usually full - sometimes even four full servers for one race. For US users it's a lot more scattershot.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Constellation I posted:

Interested on updates on this. Almost all simracing + hotas setups I see have everything bolted on together. I guess if it's all VR it's fine, but trying to play a flight/space sim on monitors with a big rear end wheel in front of you would be very distracting. Can't think of a good way of hotswapping the wheel out of the way though.

Well, my idea is to build a frame of some kind, which can either have the wheel & shifter on it, or have the HOTAS, but not for both at the same time, and I want to build it in a way that it folds up and moves out of the way when I'm playing FPS or whatever.

Once I actually have the wheel here, I will start doodling and seeing what scrap wood(s) I have. I would probably try to semi-permanently mount the HOTAS and wheel to wood blocks, which then lock into a frame. I probably want the height to be adjustable, too. Got a basement full of saws and wood, we'll see. MAYBE I WILL EVEN BUY NICE LUMBER, I HEAR HARDWOODS ARE VERY POPLAR

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 3, 2020

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Got my T300 setup; question, as I've never had a FF wheel before.

The feedback in Forza 7 feels kind of bumpy / vibratey / jitttery to me

The feedback in DiRT 2 feels much better, but I can still feel the little specific tugs of the belts.

The feedback in the calibration app seems perfect; the "just feedback/rotational" effects are completely smooth, and the canned "effects" tests seem to do what I'd expect.

Is this all normal? The wheel seems "fine" to me, playing Forza is fun AF, playing DiRT 2 in VR is fairly mindblowing. Just want to make sure this is par for the course, since I've never used a device like this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Different games definitely feel different and they all feel
different than the thrustmaster control panel.

I would say the control panel is good for making sure the wheel works and troubleshooting when you need it, but don’t expect those demo feedback things to feel like the game, they’re just demos of what the wheel can do.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The default FFB settings in-game for Forza 7 for a thrustmaster wheel are fairly garbage. You'll definitely want to tweak them - if you know how to do this yourself or want to learn (which will be best), tweak them yourself. Otherwise search online for other people's settings until you find one close to what you like and fiddle from there.

Dirt Rally 2.0 needs tweaks as well but not as many. I recommend setting wheel rotation to 540 in the thrustmaster config and then use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Tt76pfUM4

Jon Armstrong's TS-XW settings as a starting point. It'll be different than the one you have but still a good starting point probably. I used to have a TS-XW myself but switched to a Simucube 2 Pro and no longer have my settings anywhere that I can find unfortunately. Honestly I didn't like Jon's settings and had something radically different but a lot of people like it as a starting point.

As Mr. Silly-Balls stated though, different games are going to feel completely different and there's going to be very little consistency.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

The default FFB settings in-game for Forza 7 for a thrustmaster wheel are fairly garbage. You'll definitely want to tweak them - if you know how to do this yourself or want to learn (which will be best), tweak them yourself. Otherwise search online for other people's settings until you find one close to what you like and fiddle from there.

Dirt Rally 2.0 needs tweaks as well but not as many. I recommend setting wheel rotation to 540 in the thrustmaster config and then use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Tt76pfUM4

Jon Armstrong's TS-XW settings as a starting point. It'll be different than the one you have but still a good starting point probably. I used to have a TS-XW myself but switched to a Simucube 2 Pro and no longer have my settings anywhere that I can find unfortunately. Honestly I didn't like Jon's settings and had something radically different but a lot of people like it as a starting point.

As Mr. Silly-Balls stated though, different games are going to feel completely different and there's going to be very little consistency.

thanks a lot!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How did you find the TS-XW, shortspecialbus?
I’ve been looking at getting a used one of those over a new TX.
It’s so hard to decide what to do with this hobby.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Bape Culture posted:

How did you find the TS-XW, shortspecialbus?
I’ve been looking at getting a used one of those over a new TX.
It’s so hard to decide what to do with this hobby.

I bought it on sale from Amazon a couple years ago. Or if you mean "how did I like it?" I liked it pretty well but decided I wanted to convert to Direct Drive. I'm glad I did but the TS-XW was honestly pretty great. I switched to it from a Logitech G27 and it was night and day.

I'm actually going to shoot you a PM.

Edit: just kidding you don't have plat. Are you in the US? May have an offer for you.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

I bought it on sale from Amazon a couple years ago. Or if you mean "how did I like it?" I liked it pretty well but decided I wanted to convert to Direct Drive. I'm glad I did but the TS-XW was honestly pretty great. I switched to it from a Logitech G27 and it was night and day.

I'm actually going to shoot you a PM.

Edit: just kidding you don't have plat. Are you in the US? May have an offer for you.

Ah yeah I’m in the UK unfortunately and “how did you find x” is a colloquialism for how was it haha.

How much did you pay for your setup? I’m trying to work out how to get hold of the following:

TS-XW base
One of the Sparco full-size rims
T-LCM

But on a budget of ~£500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Got my T300 setup; question, as I've never had a FF wheel before.

The feedback in Forza 7 feels kind of bumpy / vibratey / jitttery to me

The feedback in DiRT 2 feels much better, but I can still feel the little specific tugs of the belts.

The feedback in the calibration app seems perfect; the "just feedback/rotational" effects are completely smooth, and the canned "effects" tests seem to do what I'd expect.

Is this all normal? The wheel seems "fine" to me, playing Forza is fun AF, playing DiRT 2 in VR is fairly mindblowing. Just want to make sure this is par for the course, since I've never used a device like this.

I could never get Forza 7 to feel even close to the current PC sims, best I got was "acceptable".