Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Crappy spring rates, no/bad damping, weird geometry based off “what can we weld easily” rather than “what is the right way to build this” all add up to head shake

Also, remember, that bike doesn’t have a nice Scott’s damper on it. The steering damper on that bike is just a knob that cranks down on the steering bearings. You know how when you’re installing a triple clamp and you accidentally tighten the stem nut too much and the steering gets heavy? They used to use that as a feature.

The dumbest solution to the worst problem

Hey, not always! Sometimes it's a pair of fiber discs that get squashed together kind of like a clutch. That's also how fork damping often worked.

Really if you go back further than like 1950 they stop being motorcycles in any real sense of the word. More like incredibly dangerous rube goldberg devices designed as an ongoing, neverending problem solving exercise for greybeards. It genuinely amazes me people ever bought any of these things, let alone often enough for a whole bike industry to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Humanity has been domesticating quadrupeds since the dawn of time to ferry us around, and you are surprised people wanted to make a motorized version? Bicycles and automobiles existed at that point, and motorcycles are the best of both worlds. What I'm trying to say is that motorcycle riding is a primal desire. Cavemen would have wanted a motorcycle.

Slavvy posted:

Hey, not always! Sometimes it's a pair of fiber discs that get squashed together kind of like a clutch.

Do they release for normal riding? Or is it always on friction?

Coydog fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 30, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have heard a story (which is probably racist and sexist and apocryphal but whatever) that in the 1920s, the last era of colonialist exploration, whenever western explorers encountered a new uncontacted tribe and began the cultural exchange, the women would ask for things like metal pots, household tools, and bolts of cloth, while the men universally asked for guns and motorcycles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iron Horse Heritage ™️

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Humanity has been domesticating quadrupeds since the dawn of time to ferry us around, and you are surprised people wanted to make a motorized version? Bicycles and automobiles existed at that point, and motorcycles are the best of both worlds. What I'm trying to say is that motorcycle riding is a primal desire. Cavemen would have wanted a motorcycle.

Do they release for normal riding? Or is it always on friction?

Yeah but early bikes were objectively worse than a horse, I don't get how anyone persisted with them long enough for them to become not-poo poo. I have the same questions about cheese.

And no they don't release what are you crazy? Friction is the steering damper why would you that to release?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That type of damper is also actively holding the steering bearings, stem and triple in place, so loosening it would lead to a lot of slop in the front end.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

Front brake, rear brake, steering damper, practically a gp bike!

I was surprised it had an Overdrive.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Indian was a little ahead of the curve, making small bikes to compete with the British bikes that would become popular in the 50s. Too bad they were slightly too far out ahead and apparently their quality control wasn't the best.

Anyway, here's how to ride a motorcycle in 5 minutes.

Using a different image host because Imgur is now making you watch ads or pay money to avoid the ads.

Apparently the front brakes are only for holding steady on a hill and only advanced riders should routinely use it for normal stopping.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No mention of festive dogs 0/5

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I feel this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/ThatLittleDemon/status/1333955223895814144?s=20

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Who plagiarized who? Ben or horny man Travis?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New 2021 Kawasaki’s are shaping up nicely

https://twitter.com/strangeanimais/status/1334114592742490112?s=21

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is 100% the inspiration for a Versys and I won't hear otherwise.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Actual 2021 kawasakis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Actual 2021 kawasakis

Pretty sure that's an r3 dude.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shelvocke posted:

Alternative: support your good nice local mechanic who gives you discounts and free advice by buying stuff through them

This please.

Actually we used to sell stuff a lot cheaper than most customers would be able to get it anywhere, but everyone just assumed we were just trying to make a buck of them and they could do better themselves. I mean maybe you could... but we're only making like $5/tire off of you and the factory online you just bought it from is gonna make $25 and send you some 18month old rubber.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 3, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Here's the new Monster:

That entire passenger footpeg/exhaust hanger situation is :pwn:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, it seems directly borrowed from any number of Japanese bikes. doesn’t seem so bad to me

They also seem to have borrowed the styling from any number of Japanese bikes, which is a distinctly un-Ducati move

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Here's the new Monster:

Literally every single element is hideous but also totally different to every other element, just a bunch of parts designers having an ugliness competition.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I hate gauge clusters like that. This one looks like an alien fighter ship from Independence Day just came through the running light's portal to another universe.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Are the turn signals part of the frame? And where are the mirrors?

m-i-r-r-o-r-s

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I was thinking of Sex Motorcycle while I was on a particularly long ride the other day and honestly, I fell in love with the plot. I believe this is the motivation I needed to write the next great American novel, one where man and machine are united not just in mechanical perfection like a super sport taking the cork screw at Laguna Seca, but in the unity of body and soul. A novel that smashes the taboo of man/motorcycle love which has kept us in the shadows for far too long. Think of The Flame and the Flower but with motorcycles.

Also here's my Harley Pic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

I was thinking of Sex Motorcycle while I was on a particularly long ride the other day and honestly, I fell in love with the plot. I believe this is the motivation I needed to write the next great American novel, one where man and machine are united not just in mechanical perfection like a super sport taking the cork screw at Laguna Seca, but in the unity of body and soul. A novel that smashes the taboo of man/motorcycle love which has kept us in the shadows for far too long. Think of The Flame and the Flower but with motorcycles.

Also here's my Harley Pic

Stoooooooop. You are too horny online

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

Are the turn signals part of the frame? And where are the mirrors?

m-i-r-r-o-r-s

I don’t see either blinkers or meers but I think the front blinkers might be the led halo around the headlight.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Don't you guys see the one-sided track stand? Clearly that photo was taken at a track day

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Stoooooooop. You are too horny online

I could literally make Sex Motorcycle happen once I get done my batch of work for December. There is some kind of unique plot I'm seeing in my head that isn't particularly vulgar. Plenty of time in planes to do this, tempted.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

FBS posted:

Here's the new Monster:

Excuse me sir but that's an FZ09. I really like the headlight, though. They just made the FZ09 with a rounded headlight and a vtwin engine as god intended.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

FBS posted:

Here's the new Monster:

Exhaust hanger thing and gauge cluster remind me of the Gladius, only the Gladius has a Ducati-like frame?

And bit Japanese bike vibes, I was also reminded of the FZ09. And I always thought a lot of Ducatis looked messy with a lot of hoses/reservoirs/etc in view, but on this one everything's just covered by slabs of plastic it looks like?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The whole point of a Ducati is the artistry and poo poo. Why would you want a generic black brick made by Italians when you can have a generic black brick made properly instead?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The 796 is the best looking Monster.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Steakandchips posted:

The 796 is the best looking Monster.

I’m partial to the 1100 Evo:

I like that new Monster, it’s the same recipe with the current crop of Ducs. The strategy seems to me to steal from the the fastest growing naked segment owned by KTM and Japanese models while Scramblers grow the market, sport bikes for the faithful and the new Multi for the affluent dad demo.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The 1100 Evo is nice, but the underslung exhaust on the 796 really makes that bike special.

Aye, their new sportbikes are very pretty.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Here's the new Monster:

That's loving hideous, it looks like a Diavel and a KTM got stuck in the same teleporter pod. I guess maybe they're trying to make more room stylistically for the Scrambler range, but gently caress me the way to do that isn't to try (and fail) to copy the Japanese nakeds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly if you took the Ducati logo off I’d completely believe that’s the new Kawasaki er650

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly if you took the Ducati logo off I’d completely believe that’s the new Kawasaki er650

Not an ER. Some kind of Z.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The v-twin clearly marks it as an SV. The clutch cover even looks like a Gladius one!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FBS posted:

Here's the new Monster:

It's like they watched that F9 video about aesthetic lines and went NO gently caress YOU RYAN

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's like they watched that F9 video about aesthetic lines and went NO gently caress YOU RYAN

Somebody made the point recently that motorcycle design took a big poo poo when it went from physical clay/foam models sculpted by hand to entirely digital graphic design and I think that's why when a really good looking new bike appears these days, it REALLY looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That new ducati is loving atrocious holy poo poo what is wrong with them. My insect MT09 looks better.

I like the panigale a lot (if you remove the dumb looking wings) and the supersport isn't bad either, but ugh Slavvy is right, the whole point of a ducati is to look gorgeous and like a travis bike. If they didn't look so stunning why the gently caress would you pay more and deal with all their bullshit?

Personally I love the 916/996/998 models. Also the old monsters are way better both the 796 and 1100 linked are way way better looking.