Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller

Kief Richards posted:

I have a serious problem with my butt, BYOB

My rear end, it won't quit

nice humblebrag

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Also I'm a fan of provalone. I haven't had it in a while.

beer pal

oh no yobbos i got a jury summons

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

oh no yobbos i got a jury summons

Dont be so judgmental

3D Megadoodoo

Tell them you could never find the defendant guilty because you did it! Sure fire way to get out of it all.

beer pal

u can apply to be exempt if youre "a person whose conscience or religious vows preclude them from serving on a jury" so im thinking of saying somethink like "i have a moral opposition to the canadian system of justice" which is true but also im a non confrontational baby child

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

Kief Richards posted:

I have a serious problem with my butt, BYOB

My rear end, it won't quit

yeah yeah. but can you serve drinks off it? :colbert:

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

alnilam

beer pal posted:

u can apply to be exempt if youre "a person whose conscience or religious vows preclude them from serving on a jury" so im thinking of saying somethink like "i have a moral opposition to the canadian system of justice" which is true but also im a non confrontational baby child

in the US at least they ask the jury pool questions like "do you trust the word of the police above others" so i always figure there's no way any prosecutor would ever seat me. iv'e never actually been called to the pool though.

ty manifisto

beer pal

from what ive read googling around, the system here is that on the day of jury selection they dont get to ask you any questions they just get to profile you based on your appearance & occupation

Escape From Noise

beer pal posted:

from what ive read googling around, the system here is that on the day of jury selection they dont get to ask you any questions they just get to profile you based on your appearance & occupation

Go in wearing this shirt OP
https://www.tshirtgrill.com/i-hate-every-cop-in-this-town-as-worn-by-nick-cave-the-bad-seeds-t-shirt-p300

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

in the US at least they ask the jury pool questions like "do you trust the word of the police above others" so i always figure there's no way any prosecutor would ever seat me. iv'e never actually been called to the pool though.

I'm pretty sure I'm permanently struck because of this lmao

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I got a summons here in Canada this year. I just told them I was disabled and I was off the hook. Just had to call the sheriff's office and tell them

Finger Prince

beer pal posted:

I went through the whole process a few weeks back. Even got selected to a jury. But then they called a mistrial because one of the defendants got suspected covid in jail so they had to reschedule the trial while everyone got tested and isolated.
Summons is just go to wherever they're doing the selection, wait around, read a book and post on byob with the hundreds of other people while you wait to see if your number gets pulled from the hat. It probably won't. Mine was, first or second draw after lunch. So then you go in front of the judge, lawyers, and defendants, the judge asks you if you can be impartial, prosecution and defence lawyers get to object or not to you. If nobody objects, you're on a jury. They won't tell you why they objected if they do. If any of them object, you're not on and can't be selected again for I think it's 3 years (maybe 2). So don't sweat it. Also don't expect any sympathy towards any sob stories you try to concoct like I can't because have to feed my cat or whatever. If you say you can't because of financial hardship, you may have to explain in detail to the judge exactly what kind of financial hardship you're going to experience, and if she/he doesn't buy it or figures you can cope, tough beans. But they're pretty clear on the day what can and can't exempt you, and ultimately it's up to the judge to deem the exemption valid. All in all, don't worry too much, it's not so bad.

ChubbyChecker

you are making the summoners sad

more falafel please

forums poster

i had jury duty a couple years ago. other than having to get up rear end-early to get on 2 buses to get to the courthouse in time but once we got there the judge was like "ok there's one case on the docket and they're probably gonna plea out, so you're probably going home before lunch" and sure enough that is what happened. i just listened to podcasts and read for a couple hours. I got the day off work so they didn't pay me which is kind of bullshit

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My work has to pay me if I get selected but, like, it's a thing and I probably still won't get paid entirely. They'll figure out a way of making my head hurt.

FORUMS POSTER ALNILAM have you been to the Gorge yet??? I haven't gotten to talk to you since you moved and my eye blew up.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also if you get into Portland proper please go see my friends that make tiny donuts and extremely good chai at Pip's Original Doughnuts and Chai. They're very good and very kind people.

alnilam

Kief Richards posted:

My work has to pay me if I get selected but, like, it's a thing and I probably still won't get paid entirely. They'll figure out a way of making my head hurt.

FORUMS POSTER ALNILAM have you been to the Gorge yet??? I haven't gotten to talk to you since you moved and my eye blew up.

i have not been to The Gorge, but we have hiked and camped at a lot of really fantastic places like:
Siltcoos River
Kentucky Falls
Sahalie Falls
Smith Rock
Brice Canyon
Honeyman dunes
Heceta Head
All sorts of other places all over Willamette, Deschutes, Siuslaw, and Umpqua NFs
also summited Mt Bachelor in the summer
several hills called Buttes lol

oregon owns i mean i knew it was beautiful but it's even exceeding my expectations. there's so much cool poo poo to see along our latitude that we haven't even really explored the stuff closer to portland yet.

ty manifisto

alnilam

a big fun surprise has been the volcanic nature of a lot of the places! I sort of knew that the line of big mountains on the east side of the cascades were old volcanoes, but I had no idea there would be so many cool lava fields, lakes/falls created by lava dams, cool lava rock formations like Cape Perpetua and Smith Rock, etc.

A lot of the relevant volcanic activity is very recent too, like 2-3k years ago! That's like, when human beings were here!!

ty manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Your employer is supposed to pay you in my state if you get called (the court pays you $15/day, lol) but I’m self employed so lol. I usually I write on the little questionnaire that I am self employed and being unable to respond to clients/get work done by agreed deadlines etc. would irreparably damage my professional reputation and cause substantial financial harm and they never actually summon me for real and I hope this continues to work.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I have literally dreamed of going to Oregon since I was a child, when I first saw the goonies. Very wistful right now.

pecan

please take ur place on the jury and find nut guilty so he canm't return

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

pecan posted:

please take ur place on the jury and find nut guilty so he canm't return

Mods please ban this man for jury tampering

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Heather Papps

hello friend

being on a jury is a dream of mine

i don't know why but i think i would enjoy the process

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

a big fun surprise has been the volcanic nature of a lot of the places! I sort of knew that the line of big mountains on the east side of the cascades were old volcanoes, but I had no idea there would be so many cool lava fields, lakes/falls created by lava dams, cool lava rock formations like Cape Perpetua and Smith Rock, etc.

A lot of the relevant volcanic activity is very recent too, like 2-3k years ago! That's like, when human beings were here!!

Right?! AND THE FOSSILS. We had so much fun fossil hunting; we were able to locate, geotag and photograph tons of Northgrippian Holocene stuff down lower in the Gorge. Highly recommended.

alnilam

yeah i really wanna get into rock and fossil hunting, esp since i struck out in regular hunting this year

oh but also we went tree hunting - for 5bux you can get a permit to hike into the national forest and cut down your own xmas tree so we went and found a nice small grand fir and it's so lovely, very natural looking, not as thick'n'bushy as farm-grown ones but instead reminds me more of being in an actual forest :)

ty manifisto

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Hunting your own tree is very BYOB

alnilam

AND ANOTHER THING i've done plenty of backpacking in the sierras and cascades, but always in the summer. this is my first time living near these kind of mountains and seeing them in the winter. Seeing how the snow maps precisely to elevation is so cool! Like you look at the mountains and there's just a straight horizontal line across the entire range where it's white above the line and green/grey below it. also driving up over a pass and experiencing the transition from dry to patchy snow to feet of snow on the roadside until you get to the pass where it just seems to be permanently snowing no matter when you go. so cool.

even the weather forecasts are like "snow line about 3500 feet"

ty manifisto

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

yeah i really wanna get into rock and fossil hunting, esp since i struck out in regular hunting this year

oh but also we went tree hunting - for 5bux you can get a permit to hike into the national forest and cut down your own xmas tree so we went and found a nice small grand fir and it's so lovely, very natural looking, not as thick'n'bushy as farm-grown ones but instead reminds me more of being in an actual forest :)

POST THE TREE AND ALSO DESCRIBE IN DETAIL HOW IT SMELLS, I miss the petrichor and the fir smells ;__;

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm so homesick I could die.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I got one summons once, in like 2002. called and said im not coming my rear end gotta go to work. they started saying something starting with, "sir.." so i interrupted and said IM. NOT. COMING. I. HAVE. TO. WORK. all slow while they kept saying, "sir? sir. sir! sir?" and I hung up.

never heard back or received another summons.

beer pal

they also said that if around the time of the selection you have symptoms of covid or have been around someone with symptoms or etc. you can call and they'll let you off. so i could probably just call and say koff koff im not coming

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Kief Richards posted:

I'm so homesick I could die.

great hank sr. song

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
srsly tho :glomp:

alnilam

Kief Richards posted:

POST THE TREE AND ALSO DESCRIBE IN DETAIL HOW IT SMELLS, I miss the petrichor and the fir smells ;__;

da tree

smells like, well, fir tree!! which is very nice

bonus smattering of oregon photos for my homesick friend hamjobs

the bob ross painting that is brice creek

the coast

the desert

the snow

bonus pic from a very beautiful dawn in the coastal range that more than made up for not seeing a deer all day

ty manifisto

Finger Prince

I'm pretty sure I posted about this here before, but this is black garlic manchego and it is pretty much the best cheese ever. There are many great cheeses and sometimes I'm in the mood for other cheeses but this one is tops and if I could only eat one cheese for the rest of my life I would choose this one.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

da tree

smells like, well, fir tree!! which is very nice

bonus smattering of oregon photos for my homesick friend hamjobs

the bob ross painting that is brice creek

the coast

the desert

the snow

bonus pic from a very beautiful dawn in the coastal range that more than made up for not seeing a deer all day

Omg you take beautiful pictures. Those are stunning.

Also yeah, deer hunting is a waiting game. I got two this year by the skin of my teeth; one for mom and dad and one for our house. No elk though. We at least have eggybois at home so everything can be supplemented with eggs.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

When I finally actually get to go home after this absolute hell pandemic I am going to touch so much loving nature. I might eat a loving pine cone like an apple.

Prof. Crocodile

alnilam posted:

"We are hunting the most dangerous game of all: trees." *cocks axe*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

hot take: it's cool and good to do jury duty and refuse to convict anyone

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant