Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Also, weird discussion I had with a friend the other day: are there any video games that take place in the southeastern US? Think Bible Belt or former Confederacy states. The only ones I could think of are the Walking Dead games and the couple of levels in 007 Everything or Nothing that take place in the Louisiana bayou.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Desperados III, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, and I think Call of Juarez: Gunslinger all have a couple levels there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh yeah I remember the steamboat level from Gunslinger, that was neat

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kentucky Route Zero is set in Kentucky

Interesting.

Finishing KRZ is one of the big things I need to do before I finalize my GOTY.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hitman 2 has a level in Miami

WAR
CRIMES

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The second Nü-Wolfenstein has a mission set in New Orleans. Infamous 2 is set in a city that's New Orleans in all but name.

Don't significant portions of both Hitman Absolution and Blood Money also take place in the south-east US?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
There are a couple of levels in Hitman Blood Money that take place in Louisiana, I think? The wedding and the riverboat, iirc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Depending on how you want to count Northern VA any game taking place in or around DC pretty much has you in Arlington or Alexandria

DC's not a very big city

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deadly premonition 2 also takes place in louisiana

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Interesting.

Finishing KRZ is one of the big things I need to do before I finalize my GOTY.

You should really do this because it's probably going to be well-represented in everyone else's

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Tony Hawk Underground 2 has a prominent Nawlins level

I thought there was an Atlanta open world game but guess not. There should be

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are there any games set in Skyrim?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

The Elder Scrolls: Arena and Skyrim Route Zero

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Infamous 2 is set mostly in a fictionalized version of New Orleans

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Fable

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bayou Billy has been there for 30 years.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

The Elder Scrolls: Legends Free to Play Digital Collectible Card Game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
House of the Dead Overkill is in Louisiana

Wikipedia says Metal Slug 7 takes place in Florida which seems... wrong?? I haven't played Metal Slug 7 so if anyone who has can confirm if it takes place in Florida or not, I'd appreciate it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Phoneposting

Look into Newpipe.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Dead Online is being sold seperately now. I wonder if that game mode has not been doing too well for them, compared to GTA V.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Haven't heard much good about it. Just a lot of grind until you buy funbucks to reduce the grind, so you can do a new grind earlier?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it has a lot of the same nickel and diming as gtao, but there's nothing good to spend your money on. at least in gtao there's always some new even more expensive thing to buy into

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Walla posted:

Bayou Billy has been there for 30 years.

came here to post Bayou Billy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

which is more incomprehensible, Death Stranding or Kingdom Hearts

Playing the former, and... it's somehow not as Kojima as I expected so far, in a way I can't really articulate. Only up to the start of episode 3 so far though.

Another thing I can't quite articulate is why I'm enjoying the actual gameplay. Every time I try to sit down to describe it to someone, I think "wait, I'm having fun with this???"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Death Stranding is very easy to understand because the game cannot resist telling you what it's about 3 times per cutscene.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Death Stranding has the immeasurable advantage of being confined to a single game, so unlike KH's constant retcons it doesn't contradicts itself (much?). If you jump to MGS though all bets are off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only thing incomprehensible about death stranding is that CNET thought the word stranding was made up by the game

(saw this in a black friday article they posted)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Death Stranding is not hard to understand, it all hangs together well in the end even if some of the basic concepts it's stringing together are pretty bonkers

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I think the plot of KH is self-consistent, it's just insane and the localization is bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The problem with kingdom hearts plot is that tetsuya nomura can't leave well enough alone so you end up with more and more tertiary plot bits that are all intended to be important and lots of stuff retconned by new information and it just ends up undermining the whole story by constantly trying to explain itself and introducing new things that exist solely to explain other things that didn't necessarily need explaining.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
KH Lore is perfect and beautiful, listen to Lore Reasons.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

The best thing about with kingdom hearts plot is that tetsuya nomura can't leave well enough alone so you end up with more and more tertiary plot bits that are all intended to be important and lots of stuff retconned by new information and it just ends up undermining the whole story by constantly trying to explain itself and introducing new things that exist solely to explain other things that didn't necessarily need explaining.

Many are saying this!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

:hmmyes:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There is a Kingdom Hearts game that exists solely to explain why Mickey Mouse wrote a letter to Sora once.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Like, instead of just "Mickey wrote a letter to Sora" they made a whole goddamned game about it where they turned Jiminy Cricket's journal into a virtual world all to lead up to Mickey writing a letter.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There exists another reality where Tetsuya Nomura was able to go ahead with his plan to convert FF15 into a musical after he saw Les Mis instead of people telling him to knock off the poo poo and finish the game.

That reality must be heavenly.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

There is a Kingdom Hearts game that exists solely to explain why Mickey Mouse wrote a letter to Sora once.

There is a Kingdom Hearts game that exists solely to explain why Mickey Mouse doesn't have his shirt at the end of the first game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Death Stranding is not hard to understand, it all hangs together well in the end even if some of the basic concepts it's stringing together are pretty bonkers

maybe that's why I'm not getting so many Kojima Weird vibes from the game - so far, as fantastical as the conceits are, the game's been internally consistent about them

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The team has a chalk board to explain everything in Kingdom Hearts and it caused Haley Joel Osment to have an epiphany that Video Games Are Art.

FirstAidKite posted:

Like, instead of just "Mickey wrote a letter to Sora" they made a whole goddamned game about it where they turned Jiminy Cricket's journal into a virtual world all to lead up to Mickey writing a letter.

Paying loads of money to find out why Mickey wasn't wearing a shirt that one time and how this one superboss has a cape.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

He's not wrong about the oxytocin stuff he goes into tho. It is kind of a nice feeling to put up some ladders, ropes & bridges to do an end-run around some timefall, then seeing a bunch of likes coming in next time I start the game :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

maybe that's why I'm not getting so many Kojima Weird vibes from the game - so far, as fantastical as the conceits are, the game's been internally consistent about them
what kojima games aren't internally consistent? that's kind of his whole thing, down to building in narrative justifications for mechanics