Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Where's the movie at? I can't find out anything about it online other than Hulu grabbed it for a streaming exclusive in the US for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AlternateAccount posted:

Will Sasso’s one death scene where they let him actually deliver some physical comedy makes the movie worthwhile.

400 lb unicorn

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
This might have been obvious to everyone who saw it in a cinema but I just watched Fury Road in 4k for the first time and noticed Miss Giddy, who taught the wives about the old world, has writing (I assume history) tattooed all over her because they can't make books.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I watched Wall-E for the first time in 12 years and it was neat seeing the dates for each Axiom Captain's reign. Sci-fi movies usually gloss over whether a future with hyperspace drives and sentient robots may have also figured out cancer and aging. Star Wars in particular doesn't ever seem to talk about how old the characters are. Maybe it's in the EU, but all I know is Yoda is about 900 years old. Anakin and Kenobi seem to age no better than a middle aged man in the 1950's with high blood pressure and a pack a day smoking habit.

Looking up the exact dates, a fatty in space can be Captain for about 120 to 140 years. It doesn't appear to be a hereditary position, so we can assume they're in their 20's or 30's when they take charge. So...160 year lifespans? Assuming they're Captain until they die.

Also, Wall-E is a treasure trove of subtle Mac moments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obi-Wan's apparent age might be chalked up to living in pretty spartan conditions in a very hostile area, and possibly not taking great care of himself due to PTSD.

And given the conditions in Wall-E, and that the Axiom's humans seem to be in decent health despite their weight and sedentary lifestyle, wouldn't be surprised that with advanced medical care the captains are pretty long-lived.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A big part of Star Wars is how many people live in terrible conditions. Do we ever see anything like a hospital in any canon works?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Isn’t padme in a hospital when she dies of sadness?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And given the conditions in Wall-E, and that the Axiom's humans seem to be in decent health despite their weight and sedentary lifestyle, wouldn't be surprised that with advanced medical care the captains are pretty long-lived.

I suspect about 90% of the Axiom humans die in their first year back on Earth. Unless by some twist of fate gravity is actually stronger on the spaceship and they now have superhuman strength.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have those healing tanks and medical droids so they must have hospitals.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Disagree, who needs a hospital when a couple bacta tanks and a medic droid can turn any spare room into a total health center?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

They have those healing tanks and medical droids so they must have hospitals.

They have hospital ships.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

I suspect about 90% of the Axiom humans die in their first year back on Earth. Unless by some twist of fate gravity is actually stronger on the spaceship and they now have superhuman strength.

The Axiom's landed on Earth and they have an army of robots eager to tend to their needs, pretty sure the subtext is a gradual re-establishment of Earth's biosphere from a stable base with the full cooperation of the robots.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...the subtext...

Fancy way of saying 'The Credits'

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Ape of Naples posted:

They have hospital ships.

Why did they bring the medical frigate to the attack on the second Death Star? And for that matter, what reason other than "lol evil" was there for any of the Imperial forces to prioritise the medical frigate over combat vessels? It's almost like these films were written for children.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Axiom's landed on Earth and they have an army of robots eager to tend to their needs, pretty sure the subtext is a gradual re-establishment of Earth's biosphere from a stable base with the full cooperation of the robots.

Maybe. I took it to mean that even with an army of robot labor, the repopulation of Earth was going to require real effort. They showed a couple of Axioms embracing their newfound agency, but from a realistic standpoint most of those people are too far gone to handle a new environment.

It is a cartoon though, so happily ever after I guess.

Sunswipe posted:

Why did they bring the medical frigate to the attack on the second Death Star? And for that matter, what reason other than "lol evil" was there for any of the Imperial forces to prioritise the medical frigate over combat vessels? It's almost like these films were written for children.

If they wanted decent military tactics, then they shouldn't promote anyone who does one good thing to General.

Did Chewy ever get promoted to General? It feels like everyone else who survived Episode 4 did. They really poo poo on Chewbacca.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chewie never enlisted, he was a civilian contractor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean more that, for the humans who can't handle Earth's environment, the spaceship they were born and raised on in post-scarcity conditions is literally right there and fully functional.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Henchman of Santa posted:

A big part of Star Wars is how many people live in terrible conditions. Do we ever see anything like a hospital in any canon works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ce76OHPTUw

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Also the end credits show people gradually learning and rebuilding and physically changing over the generations into more standard "Earth humans", so it's a pretty upbeat ending overall.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After Yavin they basically had a glut of Generals.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Not all Nebulon B frigates are medical frigates.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CainFortea posted:

Not all Nebulon B frigates are medical frigates.

Probably true but Wedge says "They're heading for the medical frigate"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t really know anything at all about Star Wars but I thought the characters weren’t humans

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

freeedr posted:

I don’t really know anything at all about Star Wars but I thought the characters weren’t humans

Humans are one of many sentient species in Star Wars

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Krispy Wafer posted:

If they wanted decent military tactics, then they shouldn't promote anyone who does one good thing to General.

Did Chewy ever get promoted to General? It feels like everyone else who survived Episode 4 did. They really poo poo on Chewbacca.

Lando showed up wearing Han's clothes with Leia, most of Luke, Chewie, and whatever money he could squirrel out of Cloud City and bought himself a new cape and a military title

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you, people not actually in the military, for your actions. You get to skip ahead to General, all of you. Well, except that big dog bear thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

General doesn't seem to mean much in Star Wars. They also made every jedi a General and those guys often worked in teams.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of the bits of space junk Wall-E collides with is Sputnik 1

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Karma Tornado posted:

most of Luke

lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That was one of the reasons why The Last Jedi was bad, the plot had way too much military hierarchy crap in it. Nobody cares about if Poe is disobeying orders or if this new character is the captain or whatever, that's Star Trek poo poo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was the universe's most boring car chase and subsequent trip to hamfisted allegory gambling world that made it suck.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Humans are one of many sentient species in Star Wars

Well, I assume they aren't technically human, given they're in a different galaxy some nebulous amount of time in the past, and are just called humans for our convenience, much like how they're language isn't actually English.

Although I'm guessing there is probably some now non-cannonical EU/Legends book that has some "humans" from the Star Wars galaxy do some kind of super hyperspace jump and wind up in the Milky Way and settle on Earth and are our ancestors, a la Battlestar Galactica.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Rebellion does seem implied to be a pretty ragtag and not particularly formal organisation, and the 'Admiral' seems to be in the command position for fleet operations. I think 'General' more implies being the senior officer in ground operations.

Aphrodite posted:

General doesn't seem to mean much in Star Wars. They also made every jedi a General and those guys often worked in teams.

Makes some sense that in the prequel era, the Jedi are basically something like Texas Rangers, with independent federal authority and often a one-man-army, and there's not actually a lot of full blown Jedi Knights in operation. And most of the army are clones who automatically defer to given authority; would make sense to give Jedi a rank that's above their own hierarchy.

General Grievous, an independent, sentient cyborg commanding mostly droids, seems to be the Separatist counterpart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I assume they aren't technically human, given they're in a different galaxy some nebulous amount of time in the past, and are just called humans for our convenience, much like how they're language isn't actually English.

Although I'm guessing there is probably some now non-cannonical EU/Legends book that has some "humans" from the Star Wars galaxy do some kind of super hyperspace jump and wind up in the Milky Way and settle on Earth and are our ancestors, a la Battlestar Galactica.

There's one where Han Solo and Chewbacca end up on Earth in the 19th century, and Chewie is the reason for the Bigfoot myth.

Indiana Jones finds Han's remains many years later.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

General Kenobi was just to distinguish him from Specific Kenobi.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Luke's rear end winds up in the hospital twice during ESB. I always assumed that the Rebel Alliance's fleet was a rag tag group of ship that they cobbled together and the Medical Frigate was like a modern day hospital ship that they strapped some guns and hangar bays on to.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although I'm guessing there is probably some now non-cannonical EU/Legends book that has some "humans" from the Star Wars galaxy do some kind of super hyperspace jump and wind up in the Milky Way and settle on Earth and are our ancestors, a la Battlestar Galactica. Hitchhiker's Guide book 3

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

James Woods posted:

Luke's rear end winds up in the hospital twice during ESB. I always assumed that the Rebel Alliance's fleet was a rag tag group of ship that they cobbled together and the Medical Frigate was like a modern day hospital ship that they strapped some guns and hangar bays on to.

And this just proves the Rebels were terrorists all along.

You don't gently caress with the red cross and hide weapons with medical workers.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

James Woods posted:

I might be wrong but I think it's the opposite. Like, it was a military frigate repurposed to a hospital ship.
E: I'm wrong. Apparently that was just one ship.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Might actually be a repurposed cruise liner, like real life WW1 and WW2 hospital ships.

IIRC, EU stuff goes into that the Mon Calamari ships are actually functional submarines as well, and sometimes are basically buildings from their aquatic cities that are designed to be vehicles too.