Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I guess the difference is that it's "celebrity" Taskmaster, which is weird because Taskmaster is already for celebrities, but in this one they're not comedians, or people known for being funny, as they usually are. But then the girl from Derry Girls doesn't fit that either. I imagine that what happened is that C4 asked them to make a "Celebrity Taskmaster" for Christmas, like they do for the Crystal Maze or whatever, and this is the closest they could get to that somewhat nonsensical request. Krish wouldn't be on normal Taskmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A collection of random TV people the producer knows who were bugging them for a go.

E- poo poo, they don't share an agent do they?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's probably just a fun little christmas thing they've decided to make to make a big deal of the fact that taskmaster is now on C4 this year so they picked some more unusual guests than they would for a full series.

I feel like if they put comedians who hadn't already been on Taskmaster before in a one off special thing people would be moaning that they'd wasted them on a one off thing so this is probably a better way to go.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thebardyspoon posted:

It's probably just a fun little christmas thing they've decided to make to make a big deal of the fact that taskmaster is now on C4 this year so they picked some more unusual guests than they would for a full series.

I feel like if they put comedians who hadn't already been on Taskmaster before in a one off special thing people would be moaning that they'd wasted them on a one off thing so this is probably a better way to go.

Yeah that seems likely. I feel like Nicola Coughlan and Rylan would have worked for a full series but the rest would have been very dull to watch over a ten week stretch.

I imagine it's a lot easier to work with comedian's schedules too - outside of the panel show circuit and touring I imagine their time is pretty much their own and they mostly write at their own pace, so they can easily take a few weeks out for a show like this.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I dunno, outside of the prize task & the occasional “make a video” task, there’s not that much room for comedy stylings to make a difference - and some of the normal guests are basically just straight-man actors.

The rest is just party games, which are amusing enough just watching your own friends doing them tbh.

I think it can easily extend to normal celebs as long as they’re vaguely charismatic.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mean they've had several non comedians on before like Richard Osman, Paul Sinah and David Baddiel.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Hey, come on, Richard Osman is quite funny.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Phillby posted:

I mean they've had several non comedians on before like Richard Osman, Paul Sinah and David Baddiel.

Yes they loving sucked.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well hot drat, Heartbreak High is on Netflix it seems. Been impossible to track down copies of that over the years, beyond a few seasons on DVD from Australia and dutch subtitled VHS'. Loved that show as a kid.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
That's one of those BBC2 weekday 6pm shows that I'd almost entirely forgotten about.

Edit: just noticed Malcolm in the Middle is on All4. That's one for the rewatch list...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's kind of amazing how many good shows ended up in that block, then it turned into quiz shows or whatever I think? I have no idea what's aired during it now, but nothing cool I'm sure.

Thank you Janet Street Porter for making a good thing (I don't think the block was used for anything much before Def-II anyway, and it just kinda continued being cool after that ended).

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Paul Sinah didn’t suck and I’ll die on this hill, he sucked at the tasks maybe but bare in mind he was diagnosed shortly after.

Also he most definitely is a comedian and his standup isn’t the worst I’ve seen

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
His radio 4 history shows are superb

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Paul Sinah didn’t suck and I’ll die on this hill, he sucked at the tasks maybe but bare in mind he was diagnosed shortly after.

I think it was RHLSTP where he said that several neurologists had told him they knew something was wrong just by watching Taskmaster.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, I think there's always a place in Taskmaster for a contestant who's "low energy" like Sinha or Brand - I find it's usually pretty funny to see them decline to rise to the occasion. I mean, it's not like they're phoning it in on Mastermind or something...

Also seconding the vote for Sinha's stand-up, enjoyed that last time he was down the Hen and Chicken.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wasn't there one task Liza Tarbuck looked at, and just went "nope" and didn't bother doing? I vaguely recall her just walking away from one that was just annoying to do or something. Which is pretty funny as a reaction in and of itself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember Katherine Ryan not being able to eat a raw egg, but being really apologetic about it, and also fixating on the idea that everyone else was gonna eat theirs raw when no one did.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I remember Katherine Ryan not being able to eat a raw egg, but being really apologetic about it, and also fixating on the idea that everyone else was gonna eat theirs raw when no one did.

Richard Osman downed that egg raw faster than you could think of scrambling.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Liza Tarbuck annoyed me slightly as Greg seemed to be super biased towards her

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I thought that about Greg and Roisin Conaty. Perhaps he has a type.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, I think there's always a place in Taskmaster for a contestant who's "low energy" like Sinha or Brand - I find it's usually pretty funny to see them decline to rise to the occasion.

Yeah whenever I think about how I would approach a task from the show, it's almost always trying to find a technicality that means exerting the least amount of actual effort to do something. They are my spirit animals.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bogmonster posted:

I thought that about Greg and Roisin Conaty. Perhaps he has a type.

He mostly ripped the poo poo out of her because they're really close friends. IIRC she came last in almost everything.

And Roisin is nothing like Liza Tarbuck?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The joke was that I listed 2 good contestants that weren't billed as comedians on the show and also david baddiel who isn't funny.

The guests don't need to all be stand up comedians to be entertaining but I'm a little weary about the celebs they've picked out. I think I know the news guy and thats it.

Murder in Successville had a lot of non comedian personalities and reality tv stars, it seemed very hit or miss if the guest would get the show and play along or just look confused the whole time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr Phillby posted:

The joke was that I listed 2 good contestants that weren't billed as comedians on the show and also david baddiel who isn't funny.

The guests don't need to all be stand up comedians to be entertaining but I'm a little weary about the celebs they've picked out. I think I know the news guy and thats it.

Murder in Successville had a lot of non comedian personalities and reality tv stars, it seemed very hit or miss if the guest would get the show and play along or just look confused the whole time.

You don't know John Hannah or Rylan? If you're not British I can see how you'd not know Rylan but otherwise I'm genuinely baffled.

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Liza Tarbuck annoyed me slightly as Greg seemed to be super biased towards her

I didn't feel that, she was just really good. I especially liked that team task where she got the answer super fast and just got ignored, it was wild.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hannah's got a lot of credits, but nothing I've watched in nearly the last 20 years.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hannah's got a lot of credits, but nothing I've watched in nearly the last 20 years.

Yea but he's still a very recognisable face, I'd be surprised if any goon hasn't seen the mummy - and also surprised if people in this thread haven't at least seen images from Touch of Cloth.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Laughing at Paul Sinha being clumsy for half a series and then him announcing a diagnosis of Parkinsons might be the single most tragicomic thing ever to have happened, and for that I will forever give him props, even if it wasn’t intentional.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Laughing at Paul Sinha being clumsy for half a series and then him announcing a diagnosis of Parkinsons might be the single most tragicomic thing ever to have happened, and for that I will forever give him props, even if it wasn’t intentional.

poo poo I had no idea and now I kinda want to rewatch that season out of grim curiosity.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Taear posted:

Yea but he's still a very recognisable face, I'd be surprised if any goon hasn't seen the mummy - and also surprised if people in this thread haven't at least seen images from Touch of Cloth.
Touch of Cloth I did watch, I guess I never payed attention to the actors name lol.

Rylan passed me by, never followed Xfactor of Big Brother, wikipedia says he's been in new versions of some gameshows I haven't thought about since the nineties.

Also don't follow Strictly and have never even heard of Derry Girls.

Taskmaster usualy scores higher on the recognition index with me because I follow a lot of comedy. Ultimately it doesn't realy matter, its only one episode and in past series some of the people I hadn't heard of ended up being more entertaining than people I recognized and liked already.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Mr Phillby posted:

Touch of Cloth I did watch, I guess I never payed attention to the actors name lol.

Rylan passed me by, never followed Xfactor of Big Brother, wikipedia says he's been in new versions of some gameshows I haven't thought about since the nineties.

Taskmaster usualy scores higher on the recognition index with me because I follow a lot of comedy. Ultimately it doesn't realy matter, its only one episode and in past series some of the people I hadn't heard of ended up being more entertaining than people I recognized and liked already.

How can you say you follow a lot of comedy but haven't heard of Derry Girls?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Derry Girls is definitely worth checking out.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Taear posted:

I didn't feel that, she was just really good. I especially liked that team task where she got the answer super fast and just got ignored, it was wild.

Yeah she was really good for a lot of the tasks but some of them like the little toy bike man task where she just stamped on him were scored way too high in my opinion.

That team task did feel like a microcosm of what women go through everyday lol

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ObamaAkbar. posted:

That team task did feel like a microcosm of what women go through everyday lol

Yeah I’ve seen it many times.

You’re just hanging out minding your business riding your bike, then a woman comes and stamps on you - and gets rewarded for it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Seconding this, it is fantastic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

wooger posted:

Yeah I’ve seen it many times.

You’re just hanging out minding your business riding your bike, then a woman comes and stamps on you - and gets rewarded for it.

Racism and sexism then is it? Good going.

Mr Phillby posted:

You'll know his voice because he does loving loads of adverts and stuff. He's PROBABLY the biggest success of Xfactor outside of One Direction which is pretty mad considering he was so strange when he was actually on the show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Taskmaster writing room spent a few minutes thinking of accents primarily associated with white people, and I give them credit for it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Histor!

I felt genuine jeopardy for Richard putting Sky TVs magical one eyed flying crow on the line

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

That acting task was one of the funniest I’ve ever seen

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh is that a real show? When I see "placename group descriptor" I mentally file it away in the reality tv section of my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DaWolfey posted:

Histor!

I felt genuine jeopardy for Richard putting Sky TVs magical one eyed flying crow on the line

More importantly, he's got yet another dead wasp for his ventriloquist act.