Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Antimalware Service Executable again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

galenanorth posted:

I'm trying to create a backup in Windows 10 for the first time using the Control Panel's Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I decided to back up the C:\ drive and create a system image. Restoring from the system image worked, but when I try to restore a test file on C:\, it tells me that my mediaID.bin file is invalid. How does a mediaID.bin file become invalid? The file should be for a backup I created just this morning. Maybe it's because I tried creating another backup, changed my mind, and stopped the process.

For context, before I got new internal hard drive, I was using Windows 7, and for some reason a backup would never complete, perhaps because something was already going wrong with the hard drive a few years before it stopped working. I saved the partial backup as WindowsImageBackup_old_HD, MYNAME-PC_old_HD, and renamed the MediaID.bin file to MediaID_old_HD.bin. They probably don't work, but I'll delete them later when I'm done setting up my new installation. Maybe they're the cause of the problem, though.

It feels like this tool is very tricky to use. I only just figured out that MediaID.bin was related to the backups, not a file that came with the external hard drive, so I needed to be renaming the MediaID.bin, too, before which I was having a different error. I think what I want to do is create a new backup, get it working, then try to break MediaID.bin again so that I know what not to do.

My solution is creating a system image, but also storing most of my files under C:\E\ to make it easier to directly back them up. As I've been setting up Windows 10, I also made a Notepad file with a list of my installed programs and taking notes on any tricky aspects of installing them so I can repeat my steps.

What's the best way to back up to an external hard drive?

1. Skip all this
2. Get macrium reflect (free for this situation)
3. Use it to create full disk images

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

galenanorth posted:

What's the best way to back up to an external hard drive?

If you want full images, I'd go with macrium reflect. You need to buy the full version to get delta images (ie much faster backups after the first one), but it's worth paying for software if this is your main backup solution.

The Backup & Restore left over from win7 isn't good and was never good, don't use it. The new File History backup system in win10 is ok but it's a file-based backup rather than complete system image. (Also I can give a general thumbs-up to the backup software WD packs in with their external drives, if you want something simple. I set that up for my mom and she can now do backups of her crochet patterns and cat pics herself.)

There is a backup thread, but it's not very active and mostly has people talking about cloud backups. But if you want to explore more complex options, that's a good one.

Rinkles posted:

Antimalware Service Executable again

Look at which process besides the AV is hitting the disk, because that's probably the root cause.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Klyith posted:

Look at which process besides the AV is hitting the disk, because that's probably the root cause.
Likely, yes. Many antivirus programs follow along with active disk accesses and check over whatever data is being read in real-time, which basically makes for at least double the effective load in a lot of situations. It's something that tends to come up with read-intensive processes a lot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

If you want full images, I'd go with macrium reflect. You need to buy the full version to get delta images (ie much faster backups after the first one), but it's worth paying for software if this is your main backup solution.

The Backup & Restore left over from win7 isn't good and was never good, don't use it. The new File History backup system in win10 is ok but it's a file-based backup rather than complete system image. (Also I can give a general thumbs-up to the backup software WD packs in with their external drives, if you want something simple. I set that up for my mom and she can now do backups of her crochet patterns and cat pics herself.)

There is a backup thread, but it's not very active and mostly has people talking about cloud backups. But if you want to explore more complex options, that's a good one.

I’ve been doing delta backups with the free version. Unless delta and “differential” mean something different!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

I made this screenshot at the same time

DCFWinService is a Dell Support service. I should probably turn it off.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you all. The latest backup attempt using Backup and Restore finally worked when I edited temp.txt and then restored it back, but it seems vulnerable to corruption because the MediaID.bin file becoming corrupt for whatever reason will cause all previous backups to become inaccessible. I'll try out Macrium Reflect by creating a backup, editing temp.txt, and doing a test restore.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If you want to do images use Macrium Reflect. It works better than the Windows one.

Edit - Beaten like a bunch of eggs.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I've been using 125% scaling in Win10 for two years now and only just noticed that images in browsers are being scaled up as well. A 1024px image posted in a thread here, for example, will appear larger than its actual size (and thus blurry) and will only show properly if I scale the browser to 80%. Happens both in Firefox and Chrome, so I assume this is the intended behavior, for some insane reason.

Scaling down the whole webpage is not a great solution, of course, since text becomes too tiny for comfort. Otherwise I'd simply have Windows run at 100% !

I haven't had luck googling this issue, so I have no idea if there's some kind of fix for this out there. Any ideas?

mystes
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

I’ve been doing delta backups with the free version. Unless delta and “differential” mean something different!
They do for Macrium Reflect. The free version allows you to create multiple incremental backups but each one stores all the differences since the last full backup. The additional mode in the paid version allows you to have multiple incremental backups that each store only the differences from the previous incremental backup so the incremental backups are smaller. Personally I'm not really a big fan of backup systems that involve replaying multiple incremental backups, but macrium reflect seems reliable enough that it might not be terrible.

Personally the main thing I don't like about Macrium Reflect is that it seems to use a proprietary format that can only be read using macrium reflect, so for example if you copy the images to cloud storage there's no way to recover individual files without downloading the entire image, but there don't seem to be any good free programs that don't have this problem.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 23, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

seravid posted:

I've been using 125% scaling in Win10 for two years now and only just noticed that images in browsers are being scaled up as well. A 1024px image posted in a thread here, for example, will appear larger than its actual size (and thus blurry) and will only show properly if I scale the browser to 80%. Happens both in Firefox and Chrome, so I assume this is the intended behavior, for some insane reason.

Scaling down the whole webpage is not a great solution, of course, since text becomes too tiny for comfort. Otherwise I'd simply have Windows run at 100% !

I haven't had luck googling this issue, so I have no idea if there's some kind of fix for this out there. Any ideas?
This is intended behaviour, pretty much - when you tell Windows to scale up, it scales everything, included in-application texts and images. You could switch to text-only scaling, Windows 10 supports that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It worked. Thank you all very much!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

DCFWinService is a Dell Support service. I should probably turn it off.

Uninstall all crapware that comes with a PC, except the programs that are needed on laptops to make all the function keys work. Especially "support" software that's running system level services to update / manage other crapware.

mystes posted:

Personally the main thing I don't like about Macrium Reflect is that it seems to use a proprietary format that can only be read using macrium reflect, so for example if you copy the images to cloud storage there's no way to recover individual files without downloading the entire image, but there don't seem to be any good free programs that don't have this problem.

Yeah, a disk image can't extract individual files without having the whole thing because it's a compressed copy of the whole file system. The program doesn't "know" where importantdoc.txt is stored in the image, it has to mount the whole thing and let the OS filesystem interpret what data is where. I can imagine a image format that didn't have this problem, but it would be very complex, require a second index file that duplicated all the MTF metadata (ie where files are), and would be very much tied to a small number of filesystems that were directly supported / interpreted by the program itself (difficult in the case of proprietary ntfs).

TLDR, images and file-level backups are intended for different purposes and you should use them based on what they're designed for. Images make full system restoration easy, but they're big and monolithic and not the best solution for continuous backup. File level backups give you direct access to restore any file, and they're great for incremental / continuous backup. But they are made to capture only the important user data so you can't quick-restore your whole OS & programs.

Images are not what you want to use for cloud backups -- you're paying to store garbage, and needing to download the full image to restore one file is a pain. File-level backups are better for the cloud; there are good free programs like duplicati, and backblaze has a decent easy-to-use program if you go with their service.

There's no downside to using both if you want a comprehensive solution to both problems. In that case I would use reflect and make a full system image to a external HDD once every month or two, and a file backup service to the cloud.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Klyith posted:

Yeah, a disk image can't extract individual files without having the whole thing because it's a compressed copy of the whole file system. The program doesn't "know" where importantdoc.txt is stored in the image, it has to mount the whole thing and let the OS filesystem interpret what data is where. I can imagine a image format that didn't have this problem, but it would be very complex, require a second index file that duplicated all the MTF metadata (ie where files are), and would be very much tied to a small number of filesystems that were directly supported / interpreted by the program itself (difficult in the case of proprietary ntfs).

TLDR, images and file-level backups are intended for different purposes and you should use them based on what they're designed for. Images make full system restoration easy, but they're big and monolithic and not the best solution for continuous backup. File level backups give you direct access to restore any file, and they're great for incremental / continuous backup. But they are made to capture only the important user data so you can't quick-restore your whole OS & programs.

Images are not what you want to use for cloud backups -- you're paying to store garbage, and needing to download the full image to restore one file is a pain. File-level backups are better for the cloud; there are good free programs like duplicati, and backblaze has a decent easy-to-use program if you go with their service.

There's no downside to using both if you want a comprehensive solution to both problems. In that case I would use reflect and make a full system image to a external HDD once every month or two, and a file backup service to the cloud.
Images don't replace file-level backups but it would still be nice to have the ability to get files out of them if necessary, and it's not really true to say that images can't work this way, because they're basically just a filesystem and that's the whole job of a filesystem. Macrium can do this too if you use their software; the problem is just that macrium uses a proprietary undocumented format.

If you use dd or something to copy a raw image of a filesystem (even a windows NTFS filesystem) and upload it to something like glacier, in a pinch you should be able to have it temporarily retrieved so you can read it from an EC2 instance to recover individual files without having to download the whole thing, and it's pretty unfortunate that you can't do that if you use macrium.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 23, 2020

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Rinkles; sad to see that Windows AV is still giving you a headache. How much data do you have on your drive(s)? I have not heard a peep out of the Malware executable since my first night with my new machine. I'm wondering if mine just got it out of the way faster since it's mostly empty (and possibly a faster processor?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

Rinkles; sad to see that Windows AV is still giving you a headache. How much data do you have on your drive(s)? I have not heard a peep out of the Malware executable since my first night with my new machine. I'm wondering if mine just got it out of the way faster since it's mostly empty (and possibly a faster processor?)

Think I'm good now. The prolonged scans have stopped, it's mostly just the occasional spike now, and like in the case of Dell services, some of the offenders can be turned off.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Think I'm good now. The prolonged scans have stopped, it's mostly just the occasional spike now, and like in the case of Dell services, some of the offenders can be turned off.

Awesome to hear! Hopefully it's smooth sailing from now on for both of us.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mystes posted:

Images don't replace file-level backups but it would still be nice to have the ability to get files out of them if necessary, and it's not really true to say that images can't work this way, because they're basically just a filesystem and that's the whole job of a filesystem. Macrium can do this too if you use their software; the problem is just that macrium uses a proprietary undocumented format.

If you use dd or something to copy a raw image of a filesystem (even a windows NTFS filesystem) and upload it to something like glacier, in a pinch you should be able to have it temporarily retrieved so you can read it from an EC2 instance to recover individual files without having to download the whole thing, and it's pretty unfortunate that you can't do that if you use macrium.

Right, but dd can't do incremental or deltas and I'd assume part of why macrium's format is non-standard is because they built it with hooks for those (proprietary) features. And other images being mountable on EC2 doesn't change the fact that you have to have the whole image to parse the filesystem. You just didn't have to download it to your own machine. If you wanted to grab bits out of the middle without operating on the complete image you'd need that filesystem metadata somehow.

I'm totally on board with the idea of some open source non-proprietary software that can do what macrium can do plus have instant per-file recovery plus be ideal for the cloud plus being mountable on EC2 or a smartfridge. It would indeed be nice. But that sounds ferociously complicated. Commercial IT doesn't care about system images, so I'm not holding hope for open source to deliver it without corporate $$$$ patronage. Sticking to what software actually exists, there's a pretty clear division between image and per-file and I think that division exists for good reasons.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Cardiovorax posted:

This is intended behaviour, pretty much - when you tell Windows to scale up, it scales everything, included in-application texts and images. You could switch to text-only scaling, Windows 10 supports that.

Interesting, didn't know about this. I'll check it out, thanks.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

Right, but dd can't do incremental or deltas and I'd assume part of why macrium's format is non-standard is because they built it with hooks for those (proprietary) features. And other images being mountable on EC2 doesn't change the fact that you have to have the whole image to parse the filesystem. You just didn't have to download it to your own machine. If you wanted to grab bits out of the middle without operating on the complete image you'd need that filesystem metadata somehow.

I'm totally on board with the idea of some open source non-proprietary software that can do what macrium can do plus have instant per-file recovery plus be ideal for the cloud plus being mountable on EC2 or a smartfridge. It would indeed be nice. But that sounds ferociously complicated. Commercial IT doesn't care about system images, so I'm not holding hope for open source to deliver it without corporate $$$$ patronage. Sticking to what software actually exists, there's a pretty clear division between image and per-file and I think that division exists for good reasons.

You can get some of that by saving macrium images onto a virtual drive provided by stablebit clouddrive. This will split the upload into small chunks, and it will only have to retrieve a handful of chunks to let you mount the image and start pulling files out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

seravid posted:

Interesting, didn't know about this. I'll check it out, thanks.
It's a bit hidden and annoying to find, so you might have to search a bit - I forget where it lives every time I need to reinstall Windows. It's there, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I did not know about the text only thing and will have to try it. Apparently it's under Ease of Access.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dylan16807 posted:

You can get some of that by saving macrium images onto a virtual drive provided by stablebit clouddrive. This will split the upload into small chunks, and it will only have to retrieve a handful of chunks to let you mount the image and start pulling files out.

That sounds actually really nice

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 24, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Basic question as I experience the joys of remote troubleshooting for family.

Does oem Windows 10 still come with a media player? My elderly family member has a newer laptop with Windows 10. They have a USB drive with a linux instructional video on it, and they want to watch the video on their TV. Can they simply connect their laptop to the TV using HDMI, plug the USB drive in, use Windows media player to play it, and display on the TV?

I'm at this stage now because they don't have internet access and I can't remote in to their laptop to support or snag VLC.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Any recommendations for free laptop webcam capture software? I'm working on a little personal ML project and want to record some video with my laptop camera. I don't need anything elaborate, but at minimum, I'd like to be able to specify the frame rate (I only need like ~2 FPS).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Does oem Windows 10 still come with a media player? My elderly family member has a newer laptop with Windows 10. They have a USB drive with a linux instructional video on it, and they want to watch the video on their TV. Can they simply connect their laptop to the TV using HDMI, plug the USB drive in, use Windows media player to play it, and display on the TV?

I'm at this stage now because they don't have internet access and I can't remote in to their laptop to support or snag VLC.

Yes there is a player built in. God help you once they try to install Linux.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

VelociBacon posted:

Yes there is a player built in. God help you once they try to install Linux.

Thanks. I just tested a local MKV file and apparently Windows 10 media player can't play the audio from that file type? Oh well.

I'll see if I can walk them through turning their phone into a hotspot and downloading VLC to the laptop. :suicide:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If time isn't important, you could send them a USB stick through the mail.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

how did this person find out about linux

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneer posted:

Any recommendations for free laptop webcam capture software? I'm working on a little personal ML project and want to record some video with my laptop camera. I don't need anything elaborate, but at minimum, I'd like to be able to specify the frame rate (I only need like ~2 FPS).

OBS is probably overkill but it is free and it'll work.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. I just tested a local MKV file and apparently Windows 10 media player can't play the audio from that file type? Oh well.

I'll see if I can walk them through turning their phone into a hotspot and downloading VLC to the laptop. :suicide:

Movies & TV is the "new" built-in mediaplayer.

MKV is a container format that can contain all kinds of formats, MS offers codec packs (like this one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0) on the Store. So check out what format the file they're trying to play back contains and direct them to install the applicable codec pack, if available.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Weedle posted:

how did this person find out about linux

Sorry, lame joke about them watching "Linux ISO" movies.

Fame Douglas posted:

Movies & TV is the "new" built-in mediaplayer.

MKV is a container format that can contain all kinds of formats, MS offers codec packs (like this one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0) on the Store. So check out what format the file they're trying to play back contains and direct them to install the applicable codec pack, if available.

Thanks. I haven't heard back on it today but they don't currently have easily available internet access. If I have to dig in to it much further I'll probably just have them install VLC since that's what I'm more familiar with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the off chance, does their TV have a USB port and a built-in media player?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Hughmoris posted:

Sorry, lame joke about them watching "Linux ISO" movies.

Thanks. I haven't heard back on it today but they don't currently have easily available internet access. If I have to dig in to it much further I'll probably just have them install VLC since that's what I'm more familiar with.

You could send them a VLC installer from ninite if you think they'll have trouble finding a download link.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I heard that Windows 10 allows path lengths longer than 260 characters now. I followed https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/, but that didn't allow me to type in Windows Explorer. I save my bookmarks in .url form in a deeply nested file structure. For example,

A:\A\Politics\Energy and environment\Fossil fuels\Natural gas\Global climate change\BG - Ideas and perspectives_ is shale gas a major driver of recent increase in global atmospheric methane - Bg.copernicus.org by Howarth (Aug. 14, 2019) - mentions 3.5% le.url

is at the limit, but I couldn't type any more characters at the end of that URL, even after restarting. On both Windows 10 and Windows 7, it lets me keep a longer file name if I move it to a higher-level directory, rename it, and then move it back. Because I tend to move directories around when doing something like backing up, I've used Git Bash's cp -rauv command to work around the character limit.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...9d-9dfec099dd45 implies that Microsoft has broken this feature in a Windows update since introducing it. Is it broken for anyone else?

edit: It looks like the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 is that on Windows 7, you get told that certain files can't be copied, whereas on Windows 10, the files will copy successfully. In both cases, you won't be able to open the file until you shorten the file name. Windows 7 notifies you of this with an error message, while in Windows 10, the file name changes back to its original name when you attempt to rename it unless you rename it via command line. On the whole, Windows 10 is better at this, then.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

IIRC the problem is the win32 headers define the old 260 character limit as MAX_PATH, and a lot of applications use that constant as a hard-coded buffer size when dealing with paths so for them the limit still exists even if Windows doesn't care anymore

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Maybe someone can help me here. Using Windows 10 boxes at home for general purpose poo poo, and just picked up a Dell T40 to use as a host/server for surveillance cameras. I can either run Ubuntu + something like Zoneminder or fork out for a 2019 Server Essentials license and run Blue Iris.

I like the looks of Blue Iris better. But is it hard to setup a 2019 Essentials server so it's mostly "standalone" while still being able to use it as a file server, remote desktop to it etc, or would the client PC have to be part of a domain for it to work smoothly? I figured this server can act as local backup for my main PC and some other small poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Maybe someone can help me here. Using Windows 10 boxes at home for general purpose poo poo, and just picked up a Dell T40 to use as a host/server for surveillance cameras. I can either run Ubuntu + something like Zoneminder or fork out for a 2019 Server Essentials license and run Blue Iris.

I like the looks of Blue Iris better. But is it hard to setup a 2019 Essentials server so it's mostly "standalone" while still being able to use it as a file server, remote desktop to it etc, or would the client PC have to be part of a domain for it to work smoothly? I figured this server can act as local backup for my main PC and some other small poo poo.

FWIW, I ran Blue Iris for years on my Windows 10 machine.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

FWIW, I ran Blue Iris for years on my Windows 10 machine.

Oh, I know it runs fine on W10 but since I have this T40 now and it doesn't officially support W10 I figured I'd just run Server 2019 if I don't go Ubuntu so I don't have to gently caress with drivers and poo poo in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's dumb that it's so much harder to hide and show the ribbon in Excel 2019 than it was in Excel 2010. Collapsing with an up arrow and not expanding with a similar-looking down arrow makes no sense. I know you can un-collapse it by right-clicking a tab like File and clicking Collapse, or pressing the obscure shortcut Ctrl+F1, but that's so much harder than it has to be. Is there any way to customize this part of the interface like it was in Office 2010?

Additionally, while using Virtuawin to switch window lists, Excel 2019 is doing this thing where it hides all the toolbars and Ctrl+F1 doesn't bring anything back. The only way I can see to fix it is to click out of Excel and re-open it. This problem is doubly annoying because the problem with Excel's interface I already solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hx12_K2u-A

is drowning out search results to try to fix it.

Edit: I found the solution

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...6b-0ae5f6b9c275

Bless you, wdconnor

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2020