Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Josh Lyman posted:

I want a little crazy today. The Evan William Single Barrel was matured to 7 yr 10 mo and the Elijah Craig is a store pick single barrel. I’m not much of a bourbon guy but they were $24 and $26 respectively so I figured worth trying.

Great haul, Kilchoman Machir Bay is like barbecue in a bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just broke open the Evan Williams Single Barrel and Elijah Craig store pick. The best bourbons I’ve had are Makers Mark (maybe 46?) and Woodford Reserve so the bar is quite low.

Evan Williams very smooth and pleasant but a bit too laid back. The Elijah Craig is also very smooth with a sweeter finish. Both are fine but not quite my tempo.

My collection is now to the point where I could start worrying about oxidation of opened bottles, but my understanding is if I finish a bottle within a year of opening, I should be fine?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 26, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I just broke open the Evan Williams Single Barrel and Elijah Craig store pick. The best bourbons I’ve had are Makers Mark (maybe 46?) and Woodford Reserve so the bar is quite low.

Evan Williams very smooth and pleasant but a bit too laid back. The Elijah Craig has a decent kick to it reminiscent of the rye I prefer with a sweet finish, really nice but I’m not sure whether I’d get the same from their usual small batch.

My collection is now to the point where I could start worrying about oxidation of opened bottles, but my understanding is if I finish a bottle within a year of opening, I should be fine?

My rule of thumb is... if the bottle is about 1/4 full you're going to need to finish it sooner than later. I give it 1-3 months. Anything other than that, if it's stored in a dark cool place, it is virtually bullet proof. I should note that I am not a connoisseur by any stretch, but I have a lot of bottles and I don't really taste a difference in them with this method.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Costco has the 3 packs of 375ml (half-size) Maker's Mark bottles. One of cask strength, one of the 46, and one of Private Select, my all-time favorite whiskey, more than a lot of the high dollar stuff I've tried.

They're about 70 bucks. If you have a friend in that price range, they're a neat gift.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Evan Williams very smooth and pleasant but a bit too laid back. The Elijah Craig is also very smooth with a sweeter finish. Both are fine but not quite my tempo.

Don't get too hung up about oxidation, at most you'll get some dulling of flavors
The stuff you'll notice it most in is heavily peated bottles. Sometimes a little oxidation can help a whiskey that's rough around the edges too.
If a bottle gets under 1/2 full, you may want to think about finishing it off or at the very least decanting it to a smaller bottle. I keep a bunch of 375s for my half bottles that I'm not planning on finishing in a few weeks and some 2oz boston round bottles for the last few bits when those get low or I want to save some for a while down the road

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Speaking of, I had a glass of the always reliable wt101 bourbon and even though it's been sitting somewhat low for a while, still good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I previously said I may have had Pikesville when I first moved to the DC area and was disappointed. Apparently I mistook it for a different local rye, probably Sagamore Spirit, because Pikesville is a loving kick in the face in all the good ways. If you like Rittenhouse, you’ve gotta give this a try.

Also opened up the handle (lol) of Bulleit Rye which I had purchased as a cheap daily driver. Still adequate.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 26, 2020

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Pikesville Supreme use to be a 3 year old, 80 proof rye sold mainly in the mid-Atlantic region for around $12. That brand was discontinued shortly after the current 6 year old, 110 proof Pikesville was released for $55.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Radio Nowhere posted:

Pikesville Supreme use to be a 3 year old, 80 proof rye sold mainly in the mid-Atlantic region for around $12. That brand was discontinued shortly after the current 6 year old, 110 proof Pikesville was released for $55.
I moved in spring 2018 so I don’t think this is what happened since I had it in a bar. Aside from Sagamore, it could’ve been Catoctin Creek?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

After a few on theme rare breed pours I finally cracked open one of my Glendronach 15 bottles for my dessert pour tonight. As divine as I remembered and drat near as good as Laddie Black Art.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Highland Park 12 is very smooth, very balanced, like a nicer Macallan.

Kilchoman Machir Bay has substantial smoke but very little peat compared to your usual Islays. It’s almost too light—it’s interesting but I’m not sure I would get it again.

I’m tempted to open up my independent bottling of Springbank 23 now. At $210 after tax, it is by far the most expensive liquor I’ve purchased.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 27, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Springbank is the shiiiit and I cant believe how much the price has climbed so quickly. Drank a bunch of it in scotland. Wish I'd purchased a bunch to bring home.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Springbank is the shiiiit and I cant believe how much the price has climbed so quickly. Drank a bunch of it in scotland. Wish I'd purchased a bunch to bring home.
Okay, I opened the Sprinbank 23 independent. Given my preference for Islays, it's obviously not my preferred flavor profile but it's better than the Macallan 18 or Glenmorangie 18 leaps of faith I made in the last few months. It's got a nice rye-spice and decent sweetness. It's nice and complex, and I don't have much to complain about except for a little bit of an alcoholic finish.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I've been looking to get the 12yo cask strength for months and there just isn't any around.

I have a stash of 10yo and 15yo tho :q:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Everywhere I've seen - even across multiple states - starts at $120 for the Springbank 10. I think I've seen the cask strength for like $150.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Everywhere I've seen - even across multiple states - starts at $120 for the Springbank 10. I think I've seen the cask strength for like $150.

2 of the stores around here that list inventory online have the 10 in stock (and a few others) but no 12/13 cask finished (and they both definitely used to have it all the time)

The 10 is $90 at one store, $73 at another, and there's probably 2 or 3 stores in this general area that have it in stock as well but aren't online
I think I paid mid 60s last time I bought a bottle 4 or 5 years ago

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Don't get too hung up about oxidation, at most you'll get some dulling of flavors
The stuff you'll notice it most in is heavily peated bottles. Sometimes a little oxidation can help a whiskey that's rough around the edges too.
If a bottle gets under 1/2 full, you may want to think about finishing it off or at the very least decanting it to a smaller bottle. I keep a bunch of 375s for my half bottles that I'm not planning on finishing in a few weeks and some 2oz boston round bottles for the last few bits when those get low or I want to save some for a while down the road

Another option is an infinity bottle.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

zmcnulty posted:

Another option is an infinity bottle.
If you drink a lot of similar things, that's a good idea, but I mixed some peaty scotches and corny bourbons and peppery ryes together and it turned out terrible.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Infinite Karma posted:

If you drink a lot of similar things, that's a good idea, but I mixed some peaty scotches and corny bourbons and peppery ryes together and it turned out terrible.

Yeah, I have heard its best to keep infinity bottles to like types. Even the bourbon guys i know seem to separate their rye to a different bottle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I tried an infinity bottle with just bourbons and it quickly turned bleh.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

On the flip side, I made an infinity bottle that was so good that I finished all of it and prematurely ended the experiment.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I never heard of an infinity bottle before. It sounds kinda fun, the dregs of a bottle always end up being a weird amount anyway.

I never was a huge fan of sweeter bourbons until just recently. I just cracked a bottle of 1792 Small Batch that was gifted to me, and it's pretty delicious.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm working on a wheated bourbon infinity bottle. No idea how it'll turn out but I've been adding random bourbons to it for at least a year now.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I have a very small infinity bottle that is only about 4 shots total. If I don't like something it changes pretty quickly.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I need to open, drink, and mostly kill my old fitz decanter bottle to start an infinity bottle

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I need to open, drink, and mostly kill my old fitz decanter bottle to start an infinity bottle

Walmart of all places has a pretty nice decanter for $8.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

A local store will be offering up a few bottles soon and I was gonna try and go for one of them, the ones that caught my eye were the Eagle Rare 17, one of the Old Forester 150th anniversary batches, or the William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight bourbon, all for about $150 or so. Is there one I absolutely shouldn't miss out on from that bunch if I can pick? Barring a strong choice I'd likely be most excited about the Weller as I've had base Eagle Rare and Old Forester the most recently.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

A local store will be offering up a few bottles soon and I was gonna try and go for one of them, the ones that caught my eye were the Eagle Rare 17, one of the Old Forester 150th anniversary batches, or the William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight bourbon, all for about $150 or so. Is there one I absolutely shouldn't miss out on from that bunch if I can pick? Barring a strong choice I'd likely be most excited about the Weller as I've had base Eagle Rare and Old Forester the most recently.

William Larue Weller is your top dog here. I haven't had Eagle Rare 17 but I hear it's quite underwhelming relative to the rest of BTAC (even at the new 101 proof). WLW by contrast is one of the best bourbons money can buy. It is very high abv however so be sure you're into that sort of thing or at least open to it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Virginia ABC has Eagle Rare 10 on sale this month :thunk: and I was able to pick up a bottle for $30. They also had Buffalo Trace behind the counter for $27 so I figured why not. ER is much smoother than BT but BT seems to pack a bigger punch. They’re nice complements, two sides of the same coin.

I started watching Bourbon Junkies (ralfy is the other youtube whiskey channel I watch) and they seem to love Old Forester 1920. Worth picking up? I definitely want to get Four Roses Small Batch and Michter’s Rye since they’re on sale this month and were recommended to me upthread.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Old Forester 1920 is probably the best readily available bourbon right now, though you have to enjoy higher proof stuff. If that's not your cup of tea then 1910 might be a better fit

Edit: if you want good whiskey youtube; ADHD Whiskey is fantastically entertaining
Edit #2: he also just won the Bardstown Bourbon's world top taster competition

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 2, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Josh Lyman posted:

Virginia ABC has Eagle Rare 10 on sale this month :thunk: and I was able to pick up a bottle for $30. They also had Buffalo Trace behind the counter for $27 so I figured why not. ER is much smoother than BT but BT seems to pack a bigger punch. They’re nice complements, two sides of the same coin.

I started watching Bourbon Junkies (ralfy is the other youtube whiskey channel I watch) and they seem to love Old Forester 1920. Worth picking up? I definitely want to get Four Roses Small Batch and Michter’s Rye since they’re on sale this month and were recommended to me upthread.

They actually had those? I never find any by the abcs around Springfield/Alexandria.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nwin posted:

They actually had those? I never find any by the abcs around Springfield/Alexandria.
I’m in Courthouse and the closest location that had one was Crystal City. But even yesterday the closest location with ER was in Richmond.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 2, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Because I’m super OCD about these things, I went back out and got the Old Forester 1920, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and 1792 Small Batch which Bourbon Junkies rated their top 3 bourbons for the money and ADHD Whiskey really liked the first two. They’re also on sale this month for cheaper than DC or Maryland.

1792 ($28) was described as very sweet and I wanted to see what that was like. It is sweet and friendly but not really my preference. Will probably use it as a mixer.

Rare Breed ($47) is balanced with a big kick. It reminds me of the Pikesville Rye.

But you guys, 1920 ($55) is SO good. Incredibly smooth despite 115 proof and I love the orangesicle note. Easily my favorite bourbon of my collection.

Speaking of which... I’m officially pausing more bottles as I’m REALLY out of space now. Once I finish some bottles, I’ll pick up the Four Roses Small Batch and Michter’s Rye and possibly some of the Glenmorangie range if I like any of the tasters since everything in this sentence is on sale this month.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 2, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Anybody had the Michter's Toasted Rye? I've missed getting a bottle 3 years in a row at these annual releases.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There was a black friday deal of a california zinfandel aged in buffalo trace barrels paired with a bottle of buffalo trace for €25 for the pair. I wasn't planning on buying either tbh but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I'm really curious actually about the US version of BT because the one we get here in Europe is bottled at 40% and that's pretty anemic for bourbon. (It's anemic for anythingreally)

It's also weird to me how BT seems to be this unobtainium in some states in the US and here it's a bottom tier whiskey.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need to pick up some OF 1920. That, WT101, and four roses small batch are probably my favorite now.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

spankmeister posted:

There was a black friday deal of a california zinfandel aged in buffalo trace barrels paired with a bottle of buffalo trace for €25 for the pair. I wasn't planning on buying either tbh but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I'm really curious actually about the US version of BT because the one we get here in Europe is bottled at 40% and that's pretty anemic for bourbon. (It's anemic for anythingreally)

It's also weird to me how BT seems to be this unobtainium in some states in the US and here it's a bottom tier whiskey.

It's 90 proof in the US

I'm pretty sure this is how it is in most places where it's not a shelf warmer: if you just walk into a liquor store on a whim you may not find a bottle of Buffalo Trace on the shelf. If you're looking, you'll find it though, at a fair price. The caveat is it may take a week or two or you may have to drive 30 miles. Facebook groups constantly post when stores get barrel picks in.
Once you start climbing the ladder of their products, the scarcity becomes an issue.

Here's my rant regarding every other non-BTAC/Pappy BT product out there right now

Eagle Rare is slightly less common to sit on a shelf, but can be found the same way you find regular BT bottles.

Taylor, Blanton's, Stagg Jr. and Weller are a different beast.

Taylor Small Batch is becoming more and more unobtainable but still follows the pattern of BT and ER, and look hard enough in your 30 mile radius and you'll probably find a bottle for under $50
Taylor Rye and Single Barrel step it up another notch

Blanton's and Weller are suffering from a supply vs. demand and price gouging problem right now. Both of these brands are overhyped and seriously underdeliver on that hype.
Blanton's is decent whiskey that you're paying a premium for the fancy bottle. At $50 it was good to have a bottle or collect the toppers. At $60-70 it is a nice gift. That store pick isn't worth the $100 it sits on the shelf for. It also isn't worth the $120 secondary price. That tiny store that got 1 case in charging $150 is trying to capitalize on the secondary market and rip off people who don't know any better.
It's basically the same story as Blantons for Weller except you aren't getting the fancy bottle, and the prices are even more outrageous.

Weller Special Reserve is a bottom shelf bottle. It is about equal in quality to regular Buffalo Trace, albeit with a different flavor profile. It should not be $70 (or $125), it should be $25. Maker's Mark and its variants are way more bang for your buck once you start paying elevated Weller prices.
Weller 107 was a great deal at $30, decent at $50, and imho not worth a penny more.
Weller FP is underpriced at MSRP but still shouldn't be more than $100. Same with Stagg Jr, except its a little easier to find at a decent price.
Weller 12 production, distribution, and needs to be looked at. Same thing With Elmer T. Lee and RHF. Something is seriously out of whack with the MSRP vs actual retail and secondary pricing on these bottles. These products in particular reek of manufactured scarcity to me.

Instead of pumping out more and more labels, Buffalo Trace really needs to get back in control of their current stuff.
If I were setting their MSRPs I'd set them like this: Buffalo Trace/WSR $30, Eagle Rare/OWA $40, Blanton's $60, Weller FP/Stagg Jr $70
Weller 12 and ETL would be discontinued until they could actually produce enough bottles of them to sell at $50 MSRP. Like Jim Beam did with Knob Creek 9
Either stop doing store picks until you can meet the demand for regular stuff, or ONLY do store picks. WFP store picks shouldn't be more common than every other Weller product.

Instead they keep putting out new labels like 5 different versions of Ancient Age, Weller Single Barrel (which I saw for $700 on a secondary site - for essentially a WSR store pick at a slightly higher proof), CYPB, EHT Fancy-Hyped-Barrel#6
Stagg Jr. barrel picks are coming, I'm curious as to what kind of mess this will do to further this nonsense. Hopefully it just means they're just going to give the option to bottle Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare picks at barrel proof. I know stores have been asking for this for years, but more likely than not it will be separate curated barrels to choose from and they'll be a nightmare to get.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I was seriously underwhelmed by the bottle of Weller I bought two years ago. You could literally bottle it with a white label that has a blue stripe running under the word BOURBON and nothing else.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Weller used to be my go to bottle in college to mix with coke cuz it was cheap and inoffensive as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm kind of surprised but I really do like Woodford Reserve Double Oak. I wasn't expecting that for some reason.