Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
That really sucks... only thing I could think of would be to do another set on ideas, such as your trading post, and put up a post about that. You could put a link talking about it and your other ideas projects in the comments, and see if general western enthusiasm helps amplify and boost each one?

I’m so sorry, reddit really sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

That really sucks... only thing I could think of would be to do another set on ideas, such as your trading post, and put up a post about that. You could put a link talking about it and your other ideas projects in the comments, and see if general western enthusiasm helps amplify and boost each one?

I’m so sorry, reddit really sucks :(
Yeah the shotgun approach of "put 'em all up there" crossed my mind. I believe that's what the person who made the Old Fishing Store did - they had, like, 3 similar New England-y builds on IDEAS at the same time, with the other two being a lighthouse and a restaurant iirc. Might even have been more, because I vaguely recall a dry dock too.

edit:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677c
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b1b76caf-3a23-4272-9474-8cb4981101ef
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/65a584ca-7a48-4996-9b87-4e1f652ae0b5
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/5e24daf6-94fb-427d-a67d-4d5d25c76075
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8f01864e-aa8b-4ed9-9532-f54b0a2dc3cc

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 2, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Those other ones show up on AliExpress now, right?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Carb, delete your old posts before posting new. I used to “know” a few of the lego mods and they are sticklers for their rules. So delete all your posts and wait a month to post again.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Earth posted:

Carb, delete your old posts before posting new. I used to “know” a few of the lego mods and they are sticklers for their rules. So delete all your posts and wait a month to post again.
You think that'll still work after I questioned them in private messages about it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Who the gently caress is concerned with moderating Reddit to that degree? Its impossible to read as is so why do they care?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe wait a couple months, they have nothing in their rules about reposting, just that vague as hell "10%" thing that I can't interpret in any way other than they'll delete whatever they want whenever they want.

But the longer you can hold off the better you'll do. Reddit is constantly flooded with posts and there's no way they could remember you specifically after a while, as long as you delete your tracks.

edit - they explain the 10% thing more clearly in the detailed rules. Apparently if you make 9 other non-promotion posts a promoting post is ok? Goddaamn they really hate people linking to Ideas.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 2, 2020

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

They gotta make sure to get rid of spam like yours so we can get to another ten “ what set under $50 should I buy?” posts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget the sob story posts about how someone worked in a coal mine for ten years to get enough money to buy the UCS falcon and a lovely cell phone picture of them with the box in the living room.

"now to figure out where to put it!! LOL"

The community there is trash and I hate whenever I get linked to it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

edit - they explain the 10% thing more clearly in the detailed rules. Apparently if you make 9 other non-promotion posts a promoting post is ok? Goddaamn they really hate people linking to Ideas.
Is that really that odd? "Please dont only come here to promote/advertise" - pretty sure SA would probe anyone with like 5 posts advertising their twitch stream or let's play youtube channel. :v:

I mean, we bitch about low effort / popular IP ideas here. Probably gets tiring seeing "Vote for my Among Us ideas set" posts multiple times a week.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Goddaamn they really hate people linking to Ideas.
So much so that actually doing so is banned! Bizarrely, you are allowed to post about your IDEAS project, and you can name it by name, and you can tell people to "go to IDEAS and search for [project name] and support it," but if you actually directly link it yourself, that'll be deleted.

xzzy posted:

Don't forget the sob story posts about how someone worked in a coal mine for ten years to get enough money to buy the UCS falcon and a lovely cell phone picture of them with the box in the living room.
They did actually ban the sob stories, too.

In fact, they've banned so many things, that the vast bulk of what you see now are photos of completed sets or recently purchased boxes. MOCs still make it on there, but at a rate of a few per day. And check this out: their "no purchase links" rule goes so hard that, obviously, you can't link to Rebrickable, but you also can't link to something that links to Rebrickable, like your flickr or insta if you promote on there.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

PriorMarcus posted:

Who the gently caress is concerned with moderating Reddit to that degree? Its impossible to read as is so why do they care?

Your regdate says 2008 but this statement makes it sound like it is your first day on the internet :D

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Is that really that odd? "Please dont only come here to promote/advertise" - pretty sure SA would probe anyone with like 5 posts advertising their twitch stream or let's play youtube channel. :v:

I mean, we bitch about low effort / popular IP ideas here. Probably gets tiring seeing "Vote for my Among Us ideas set" posts multiple times a week.

I guess so, but it can't be a blanket ban. I mean no one in here is mad about Carbohydrates posting links and photos, are they? That's self promotion. :v:

So there needs to be a middle ground that r/lego seems uninterested in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

I guess so, but it can't be a blanket ban. I mean no one in here is mad about Carbohydrates posting links and photos, are they? That's self promotion. :v:

So there needs to be a middle ground that r/lego seems uninterested in.

No, I totally agree they did Carb dirty and the rules could be better. I just get why they want to curb self-promotion / think its a bit silly to be bewildered a discussion board would not like self-promotion.

Going after people who have a trend of just dropping IDEAS links (or repeatedly sharing the same one) seems like it'd be a more reasonable tactic, rather then a seemingly blanket ban.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can have halfway sane rules and still gently caress people over with malicious compliance.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can have halfway sane rules and still gently caress people over with malicious compliance.
This is how I interpret it, I think. The rule against 1 post per IDEAS project is perfectly reasonable (even if I think not being able to drop the exact URL in there is silly). Counting my previous post as promotional and using that to delete a new one today is ridiculous. The old post was never promotional and, if I hadn't edited the descriptions of images visible in the flickr I linked to from that old post, couldn't possibly be seen as such. Oh well.

I tweaked the micro Ninjago City on my desk to be 2 plates shorter in height and a little better proportioned as a result!

Lamp folded for better visibility:

And the rear. That's my Switch dock, power brick, and some external hard drives next to the soldering station there, by the way.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Love it!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

It’s yours, friend

Awesome. I don't see PM's on your account so just let me know once you're ready for stuff or are you posting in SA mart or something? I dunno. If you need to reach me I'm davebo357 at the gmail.

Got some extra tracks today to expand the tracks around our christmas tree. Really looking forward to that knock-off power motor with remote arriving someday. Was getting impatient and for some reason they're all way cheaper on lego.com than I've seen on ebay but the IR receiver hasn't been in stock for a week. I don't suppose anyone knows offhand, would the official 4-channel IR remote and receiver be compatible with the same 4 channels of bootleg units?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Can fans of carb go post on Reddit on your behalf carb or will they lose their mind?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Carbohydrates posted:

In fact, they've banned so many things, that the vast bulk of what you see now are photos of completed sets or recently purchased boxes. MOCs still make it on there, but at a rate of a few per day. And check this out: their "no purchase links" rule goes so hard that, obviously, you can't link to Rebrickable, but you also can't link to something that links to Rebrickable, like your flickr or insta if you promote on there.

I've had posts removed for linking to the official results of the Ideas waves.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I will never understand reddit. Every time I try to read anything there, half the posts are removed, the rest are long iterations of in-jokes. Content is distractingly hard to find.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
The golden rule of “do not post on Reddit, for any reason” sadly applies

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Uh... I just bought the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set.
How long is this thing going to take to build?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Zefiel posted:

That jaguar Warrior with Macuahuitl owns owns owns. Hopefully they next make an eagle Warrior and a Spaniard Conquistador to beat up.

From a couple pages back, but they did a CMF Eagle Warrior in Series 7.

The new Jaguar Warrior is waaaaaay better though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Earth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Dang it, I finally made my post on r/lego for the frontier bank heist and it got removed under the spam rule because I had "already posted about this ideas project before" which isn't really true. I posted the bank before, sure, but that was: 1) a while ago, specifically before the IDEAS submission even existed; 2) under a different name, so it wouldn't have generated traffic for the IDEAS project's name anyway; and 3) an older version of the MOC with fewer features, different figs, etc. I'm appealing with the mods but considering how aggressively they moderate over there, I'm not holding my breath.

edit: yeah I think I'm hosed, and for a dumb reason. It's because "it's the same model" (which has nothing to do with any of their stated rules) and because the old reddit post for the previous version links to my flickr page, and on the flickr page, I had edited the photo descriptions to reflect that the bank is now on IDEAS, so that old reddit post retroactively counts as promotional. The old reddit post was made Oct 15 and only saw traffic through Oct 18. The IDEAS page creation and flickr caption editing happened on November 22nd. There is zero chance that the old reddit post was promotional.

Oh no, that's terrible! gently caress reddit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love how Reddit will remove a post of an Ideas set for too much "self promotion" when 98% of their Lego forum is just complete trash. Every time I have browsed it's mostly endless posts of people celebrating their purchases and taking a picture of the box after they get home from the store, usually with some hammy grab at getting emotional upvotes to go along with it. "my father and I used to watch Star Wars together when I was a child. Now my father lives over an hour away and I don't get to see him that much. It's heartbreaking. I just bought myself an 800 dollar toy and now I'm tearing up thinkin bout my dad. here is a picture of the box."

If that site was nothing but people schilling their ideas projects it would be a major step up from what they have going on there right now lol.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

I love how Reddit will remove a post of an Ideas set for too much "self promotion" when 98% of their Lego forum is just complete trash. Every time I have browsed it's mostly endless posts of people celebrating their purchases and taking a picture of the box after they get home from the store, usually with some hammy grab at getting emotional upvotes to go along with it. "my father and I used to watch Star Wars together when I was a child. Now my father lives over an hour away and I don't get to see him that much. It's heartbreaking. I just bought myself an 800 dollar toy and now I'm tearing up thinkin bout my dad. here is a picture of the box."

If that site was nothing but people schilling their ideas projects it would be a major step up from what they have going on there right now lol.

Look at my 3 piece tie fighter!
Look at what I found at goodwill for $13.82.
Look at what my 4 year old built.
Over and over and over.

I think the mods are just jealous of ideas people. As opposed to people spending their $$ it's the possibility of talent earning $$ and that fosters jealousy.

Maybe we should all take turns, every couple of days, posting a link to the set. gently caress the mods.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
More micro builds pls, they are such a cool way to get creative with lego

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Three scales of Ecto-1...

Building the new one was fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is sometimes cool things on reddit, but it really is mostly just people posting what they bought. Though, I did once buy an Iron Giant MOC instructions and built it. Then I went to post it on reddit interacting with my Wall-E and someone also posted the same Iron Man MOC within like an hour of my post.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

deoju posted:

Three scales of Ecto-1...

Building the new one was fun.

Thanks for the scale comparison. New Ecto-3 seems massive compared to the one from a few years back.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry, yeah. Here’s a quick and dirty screenshot of the list I was keeping. Anything red has been tentatively claimed by another goon, and ignore the prices — that was just so I know how deep in the hole I was.

Let me know if anyone wants anything at a pretty good goon discount. The only boxes I have are the two modulars and the batmobile. I’ll list out the actual set numbers tomorrow but everything was purchased this year from Amazon/Target/Lego store

I'm interested in the batmobile and new York

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry, yeah. Here’s a quick and dirty screenshot of the list I was keeping. Anything red has been tentatively claimed by another goon, and ignore the prices — that was just so I know how deep in the hole I was.

Let me know if anyone wants anything at a pretty good goon discount. The only boxes I have are the two modulars and the batmobile. I’ll list out the actual set numbers tomorrow but everything was purchased this year from Amazon/Target/Lego store

Edit: wait I forgot I had that one in my closet already hahaha.

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 3, 2020

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Ah, forgot I don’t have PMs any longer.

If guys want, you can reach out to me at whowatchesthem @ gmai and I’ll respond.

For Goons, I was thinking half off of retail price? I honestly don’t know how people price these things — they’re not new and I want to get rid of them quick.

I’ll start breaking down the Batmobile, Assembly Sqaure, and the two architecture sets tomorrow morning.

How do y’all usually ship these things?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

omg chael crash posted:

If guys want, you can reach out to me at whowatchesthem @ gmai and I’ll respond.

For Goons, I was thinking half off of retail price? I honestly don’t know how people price these things — they’re not new and I want to get rid of them quick.

I’ll start breaking down the Batmobile, Assembly Sqaure, and the two architecture sets tomorrow morning.

I’d be interested in calling Dibs on the bookstore, if that’s still available.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

I'd be interested in the slave 1

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well hell I want stuff to build and if I ever get tired of looking at them in my home office that's just a man cave already filled with Star Wars toys I can always sell them again, so mark me down for Slave One and Tantive IV too. I'd take the AT-AT but I already have the original Kenner and the more recent Kenner one too and my wife would kill me if we became a three AT-AT house.

I normally ship ebay stuff through USPS. Although one time it was a box with dimensions such that I knew I'd get a cheaper price through UPS, even though the lady said "UPS will charge you more" but no it was less. So I guess the answer is "it depends."

Edit: well forget Slave One then, just the tantive

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I made a mistake the other day — the Slave1 was spoken for and NOT Vader’s Castle. Sorry about that, folx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

I’d be interested in calling Dibs on the bookstore, if that’s still available.

Oh yeah, it’s available.

Sorry about all of the posts — I’ll make a thread in SA Mart tomorrow for the rest of the sets