Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

poemdexter posted:

Was looking at the Dallas channel and there were people in cars at 3am this morning waiting for opening. All the cards sold out immediately. I thought about going to MC on a weekend at open, but not if I have to wait hours in line for nothing.

I saw the Houston channel had a pin with a google docs sheet analyzing past stock counts and looking for trends, check if the Dallas one is the same? I'm considering giving it a shot next Fri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

buglord posted:

Good god I hope that wasn’t the last 3070FE drop for weeks. Overslept by 10 minutes judging by the stock drops notifications :negative:

While it's possible there will be a second one this week, it's doubtful. They've been doing a drop about once a week to once every other week. Two in one week would be unusual.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i need to know the ending to the sub 20dB computing goon, did our messages not breach their anechoic chamber?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I believe he moved to the custom watercooling thread.

Tbh the suggestion to just stick the case elsewhere and run cables through the wall is probably a good one and I feel dumb for not thinking of that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I really do want to see what happens when someone builds a 600w system in that passive case, with no direct vrm cooling. :allears:

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Koramei posted:

Sorry this is probably a pretty tired question, but is there any sense of when we can expect to be able to get GPUs without f5'ing like crazy?

I wanna get a 3080 and I'm not in a huge rush, but it'd be nice to get one by like... January. Should I be able to just get one at that point or should I try to keep an eye on restocks and so on?

I think you'll be able to get a 3070 or 3060 much easier much more soon than a 3080. 1) Everyone realizes the 3080 is the best value and 2) scalpers/flippers are able to make out with a tidy profit because it resells close to double MSRP.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I feel like in order to get a 20dB noise floor in your room you have to live in a cave. Like even going out in the woods or something isn't gonna do it; those crickets are loud at night.

Also pressing the keys on the keyboard and clicking the mouse is gonna sound like machine guns

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

is 650 enough psu for a 3060 or is it upgrade time for that too?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mA posted:

I think you'll be able to get a 3070 or 3060 much easier much more soon than a 3080. 1) Everyone realizes the 3080 is the best value and 2) scalpers/flippers are able to make out with a tidy profit because it resells close to double MSRP.

Theyre different performance targets mostly, but the 3070 is by far the better value $$/performance wise.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Goofballs posted:

I run a 5600X + 3080 on a 650W and I've never seen it actually draw more than 500ish.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Goofballs posted:

It’s only 200W so you’d have to have an insane CPU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Goofballs posted:

I run 3080 OC model with 650W so i'd bet you'll be fine.

But tbh it depends on your system.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Well I got tired of playing the discord stock bot game trying to get a 3070 so I went to micro center at 12:30 today and walked out with the dual fan msi 3060.would’ve rather had a 3070 or FE 3060 but oh well. Either way it’s better than my 970.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Do tell how you like that upgrade. I need to jump from my 970 soon...

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I expect I’ll be more than happy with the 3060. I’ve had a gsync monitor for awhile now and haven’t been able to take advantage of it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm upgrading from a 1060 to a 3060Ti and I expect this jump to be significant.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
3060ti's hit /r/hardwareswap before some stores even went on sale lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
based on my queue position i would have had a 3080 by now if i'd slammed that notify button on every model of card instead of just picking the one that i was interested in, thinking "oh well i'm sure they'll be sold out at first, but i'll have one in a month or so, no need to panic-buy the most pimped out model right now"

god loving dammit

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

bus hustler posted:

Theyre different performance targets mostly, but the 3070 is by far the better value $$/performance wise.

Maybe on a cost/frame basis on current gen games, but factoring in the long game I'm not so sure that will hold. And there's some sense that people are definitely "settling" for the 3070 because it's been easier to nab it than the 3080.

mA fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2020

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

OhFunny posted:

Huh the Micro Center website says the Cambridge store is closed for deep cleaning at the moment.

I checked the Discord, looks like they'll be back open at 4pm. My guess is that they had the launch this morning, sold all their 3060s, then closed the store for cleaning since they had so many people through there and nothing else left in terms of GPUs (there were no 3080s today, and like two 3070s that were snapped up immediately).

I was very impressed when I was there - everyone in line was masked, all of us at the back stayed distanced, and there were only a few customers in the store at a time. There was a guy working the door who let you know when you could go in, he gave everyone a spritz of hand sanitizer on the way by, and everybody was personally accompanied by an employee. The gentleman who helped me asked me what model I wanted, checked for stock, then printed me out a voucher and told me to take it to the register. (I took an extra couple minutes because I needed a new mouse for my work PC.)

The register line was very orderly and well-marked, and they were getting people in and out at a pretty good clip. I was in and out in about 15 minutes.

twxabfn fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 2, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

air- posted:

I saw the Houston channel had a pin with a google docs sheet analyzing past stock counts and looking for trends, check if the Dallas one is the same? I'm considering giving it a shot next Fri

There is but looking at the data it all feels pretty random. And with the 3080 being the scalper's main target, I doubt I can get one in person unless I decide to wait in line at 2am and hope that I picked a day where they had stock.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
There's rumors out today that an eventual PS5 Pro will have not one, but two graphics cards! SLI is back, baby!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

There's rumors out today that an upcoming PS5 Pro will have not one, but two graphics cards! SLI is back, baby!

AMD will have to rename their dual card tech to "Literally On Fire."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

exquisite tea posted:

AMD will have to rename their dual card tech to "Literally On Fire."

That's just catching up with the Xbox

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

There's rumors out today that an eventual PS5 Pro will have not one, but two graphics cards! SLI is back, baby!

That article is extremely bad and dumb, just a warning.

e:VV yeah didnt mean to imply anything against you for postin it, sorry!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 2, 2020

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Cygni posted:

That article is extremely bad and dumb, just a warning.

Oh yeah, it's just hunting for clicks and isn't something to be taken too seriously. Companies patent stuff that'll never see a release all the time.

I'm sharing it here mostly for the humor value.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
No way in hell. Better guess is they may be evicting most of the GPU from the SoC for whatever bizzare reason (make it bigger) but keeping few CUs in there for background/systems processes. That technically counts as 2 GPUs.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Holy poo poo, I actually got an order in with Amazon (not a scalper 3rd party) for a MSI Ventus 3090. Am... am I done now?

There’s still no estimated ship date, so I guess I get to hand wring for a bit about if I actually want to spend that much money. :ohdear:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i need to know the ending to the sub 20dB computing goon, did our messages not breach their anechoic chamber?

Yeah, I kind of want to see someone build in that beast passive case I found.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Any EVGA card is eligible for step up, right? I'm also thinking I'll order a 1030 and my plan is to go through step up for a 3060ti... if anything I can return the 1030 if it's not eligible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dangling pointer posted:

I expect I’ll be more than happy with the 3060. I’ve had a gsync monitor for awhile now and haven’t been able to take advantage of it.

Well it's only 10-15% slower while being ~$100 cheaper than the more expensive 3070

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Space Racist posted:

Holy poo poo, I actually got an order in with Amazon (not a scalper 3rd party) for a MSI Ventus 3090. Am... am I done now?

There’s still no estimated ship date, so I guess I get to hand wring for a bit about if I actually want to spend that much money. :ohdear:

Why are you buying a 3090 if money matters to you?

It’s basically a graphics card designed for people that don’t think about money.

It’s barely better than a 3080 for like twice the cost.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

air- posted:

Any EVGA card is eligible for step up, right? I'm also thinking I'll order a 1030 and my plan is to go through step up for a 3060ti... if anything I can return the 1030 if it's not eligible.

i think its certain cards only. Only specific retailers for sure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

admittedly with all the scalping going on a 3090 is currently about 15% better than a 3080 for only about 25% more cost

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Seamonster posted:

No way in hell. Better guess is they may be evicting most of the GPU from the SoC for whatever bizzare reason (make it bigger) but keeping few CUs in there for background/systems processes. That technically counts as 2 GPUs.
an extra coreset for raytracing.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

air- posted:

Make sure it's a brand new 1030 sold by an actual retailer

EVGA posted:

Products must be purchased from an authorized reseller, retailer, e-tailer or distributor of EVGA products. Products purchased from unauthorized resellers or dealers, which include, without limitation, secondhand purchases, online marketplaces such as eBay (except for EVGA's official eBay store), Amazon Marketplace (except for EVGA's official Amazon Marketplace store), and other online auction and/or marketplace websites do not qualify for the Step-Up program. Products received free through promotion or contest do not qualify for the Step-Up program.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
I bought a 3090 because that's what was available. Non-scalped 3080s are basically imaginary atm.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Make sure it's a brand new 1030 sold by an actual retailer

Cool thank you, I'm ordering the 1030 listed as sold and shipped by Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-02G-P4-6333-KR/dp/B071LGVBDM

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

air- posted:

Cool thank you, I'm ordering the 1030 listed as sold and shipped by Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-02G-P4-6333-KR/dp/B071LGVBDM

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what you pay for the step up card as long as it costs less than the card you are moving to. So might as well buy the best card you can find now, unless the 1030 is the only thing in stock anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what you pay for the step up card as long as it costs less than the card you are moving to. So might as well buy the best card you can find now, unless the 1030 is the only thing in stock anywhere.

Right, the 1030 is the only thing actually in stock :smithcloud: