Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ikanreed posted:

The lowest point of south park was always

I'm not going to lie, I really liked Bigger Longer & Uncut. I also like the DVDA version of "What Would Brian Boitano Do?".

PostNouveau posted:

If Futurama had also ended before the "movies", yes

The Susan Boyle episode crushed my soul even harder than Italian Bob. The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings was a lovely finale, and it wrapped the show up with a nice little bow even though I wasn't much of a fan of the coupling of Fry & Leela.

Mantis42 posted:

My controversial cartoon opinion is that the early seasons of Family Guy are actually pretty bad and it's way better now.

My controversial opinion is that I agree with you, although I really wish that present-day Meg were treated like early season Meg. Back then, she was unattractive but not completely disgusting, Lois & Peter openly displayed love for her even if they had a hard time overlooking her flaws, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i think disney made it so they can understand stewie now and not just sometimes

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Family Guy has this weird vibe where it seems like its lovely quality is intentional and their mocking you for watching it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm not going to lie, I really liked Bigger Longer & Uncut. I also like the DVDA version of "What Would Brian Boitano Do?".

It’s a goddamn amazing movie and a better musical than anything Disney was doing at the time. SP at the height of its powers and without dipping into problematic poo poo was a transcendent motherfucker

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remember when South Park did an entire episode about it should be okay to call people the f-slur because "well we aren't using it hatefully against gay people!!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It just means “people who annoy you”

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

It’s a goddamn amazing movie and a better musical than anything Disney was doing at the time.

:agreed:

quote:

SP at the height of its powers and without dipping into problematic poo poo was a transcendent motherfucker

I never actually watched the show and then when I finally tried to give it a chance, it was an episode centered around Mr/s. Garrison's gender so I noped out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like the Spooky Fish episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

runnypoops posted:

Family Guy has this weird vibe where it seems like its lovely quality is intentional and their mocking you for watching it

It is and it does. It holds its subject matter and its audience in utter contempt. I don't consider it good but I have no problem watching it because lets be honest I deserve it. We all do

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

CodfishCartographer posted:

Remember when South Park did an entire episode about it should be okay to call people the f-slur because "well we aren't using it hatefully against gay people!!"

Yup. So many people really just based their entire worldview on whatever South Park said. That one being a major offender.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
global warming isn't real because we gave al gore a lisp

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Riptor posted:

global warming isn't real because we gave al gore a lisp

To give them an infinitesimal amount of credit, they made an episode walking this one back, which indicates at least a slight degree of self-awareness. That's more than you can say for Al Jean.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"People who are good but smug about it are exactly as bad as people who are actively evil." - South Park

Since they are rich white straight men, the worst thing you can do in their book is to effect their lifestyle in any way. They aren't oppressed, so oppressors don't really bother them. If they dislike them, it's in an academic way, on principle. They don't really feel it.

On the other hand, do-gooders who (try to) make them feel guilt, shame, or like they should change anything about their lives actually do inconvenience them more than the actual bad guys of the world, so they hate them with genuine passion.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 30, 2020

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

To give them an infinitesimal amount of credit, they made an episode walking this one back, which indicates at least a slight degree of self-awareness. That's more than you can say for Al Jean.

all that indicates is they're incredibly slow

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Riptor posted:

*gasp* Something said! Not good!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Say what you want about South Park, all of the "kids being kids" or "kids go on a crazy adventure" episodes are awesome.

They have also more or less ditched the "truth is in the middle" shtick since 2016 when they became aware of the monster they helped create. That was also the last season they experimented with one season-long plot/joke.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
If you missed out on south Park at its best, awesome-o, casa bonita etc then you really missed out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People are apparently surprised that Casa Bonita is a real place.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

i think disney made it so they can understand stewie now and not just sometimes
I think Homer gets stupider every year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Muk Dumpster posted:

If you missed out on south Park at its best, awesome-o, casa bonita etc then you really missed out

I'm not the biggest south park fan but a friend put a couple newer ones on recently and I had some laughs.

I literally can't conceive of that happening in a modern Simpsons ep.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Riptor posted:

Not disagreeing.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah al jean, the guy who says the end of every episode has to have an unfunny morally redeeming message, thereby rendering the whole episode unfunny. :jerkbag:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm not the biggest south park fan but a friend put a couple newer ones on recently and I had some laughs.

I literally can't conceive of that happening in a modern Simpsons ep.

For better or worse, South Park at least having the same guys behind it means the writing has the same consistent voice. And they have been willing to mix things up, to introduce new recurring characters and change up the dynamics rather than sticking precisely to an ageing formula.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean south park is like pizza, sometimes it's cheap and frozen but you can still use it as a frisbee

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

South Park is very extreme hit or miss because when it hits it is hilarious but when it misses it is horrible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was always just blown away by the sheer density of new comedic ideas they would just throw into an episode, and then never even feel the need to callback or use again, seemingly because they just had too many jokes in their brains and wanted to get rid of them. Like Cartman calling everything "tits" that one episode. Or in the "Trapper Keeper" one, where the terminator randomly said the trapper keeper needed to be disassembled and sent "to the four corners of Cahnahdah". Like holy poo poo just little throwaway things that made me asphyxiate myself laughing, and they were able to make it seem so effortless it was hardly even worth their time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one was billed as a "sequel" to Steamed Hams and thankfully it was not that at all.

Just one plot: Skinner and Chalmers go to Cincinnati together for an education administrators conference. Only Bart shows up in the main story; the rest of the Simpsons get shoved into the credits scene. It's a Road to movie kind of thing. Chalmers picks up hitchhikers along the way to save him from Skinner's prattling, only to be horrified that they're Shakespeare improvisers, which I think is a joke at the expense of a single Chicago improv troupe. The get chased out of a biker bar that turns out to be a cyclist bar. They get in a fist fight in a B&B, but then make up in the end.

Hannibal Burress cameos as the cool principal Chalmers wanted to take instead of Skinner. Jason Bateman was apparently in it too. I think maybe he was one of the cyclists.

Did somebody say Matt Selman was showrunning the rest of the season? He showed up as the first EP in the credits, and this one seemed a good bit better than the other episodes so far.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And this reinforces that brevity and not wasting screen time made steamed hams work, and that current simpsons writers have no idea how to self edit

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Did somebody say Matt Selman was showrunning the rest of the season? He showed up as the first EP in the credits, and this one seemed a good bit better than the other episodes so far.

He's showrunning 12 of the 22 episodes in the QABF production run. I think he has 10 scheduled for the broadcast season, which includes I, Carumbus and Podcast News from earlier in the season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

He's showrunning 12 of the 22 episodes in the QABF production run. I think he has 10 scheduled for the broadcast season, which includes I, Carumbus and Podcast News from earlier in the season.

Ah, well those were also both pretty good by modern Simpsons standards and crap by objective standards, so I guess there ain't gonna be a Simpsons renaissance under the new boss

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, well those were also both pretty good by modern Simpsons standards and crap by objective standards, so I guess there ain't gonna be a Simpsons renaissance under the new boss
Yeah, that's pretty much the best we can hope for. Compared to Jean Selman seems to be good at keeping the characterization consistent and the plot coherent while also keeping the really cringe-inducing jokes out of the scripts, but at the end of the day he's still stuck with the same writing team so there's only so much he can do.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Professor Lawrence Pierce, University of Chicago posted:

I think Homer gets stupider every year.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is the most upsetting thread on the forums.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This is the most upsetting thread on the forums.

It's good to have somewhere to talk about this stuff though. I can't call one of my friends and say " bro it's crazy, Homer just had a daydream about eating Bart's rear end". They have kids and poo poo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought this was interesting. Josh Weinstein posted pages of a first draft from "A Milhouse Divided". Reading through it, it's not great, and seems more like a modern episode (though still better). It just reinforces my assumption that modern episodes are just the first draft mostly unchanged, and they don't analyze and scrutinize them to any degree like they used to.

https://twitter.com/Joshstrangehill/status/1333914699662979072?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought this was interesting. Josh Weinstein posted pages of a first draft from "A Milhouse Divided". Reading through it, it's not great, and seems more like a modern episode (though still better). It just reinforces my assumption that modern episodes are just the first draft mostly unchanged, and they don't analyze and scrutinize them to any degree like they used to.

I got a chortle out of Trout Thins.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's good to have somewhere to talk about this stuff though. I can't call one of my friends and say " bro it's crazy, Homer just had a daydream about eating Bart's rear end". They have kids and poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao, this belongs in the Simpsons meme thread my good man.

I guess you might need a first panel providing the context of the sexy Bart dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah these were all really good cuts