Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

enojy posted:

Oh, I guess Big Sur on MacBooks forces you to exercise the battery now:

Not shown: taskbar battery icon stuck at 79% despite being plugged in all night; had a micro panic attack. "Optimized battery charging" it's called. That's new, I think?

I'm glad this is a thing, because I fell victim to what they're trying to prevent a few years ago. Left my old MacBook plugged in virtually all of the time to "save" the battery, but instead, it just ended up swelling because I never drained it.

Yeah it will also give you warnings about reduce battery capacity now. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that it says is at ~50% capacity now because it was mostly used at work where it stays plugged in. Hoping to hold off upgrading till we get a new pro.

I also noticed recovery mode has a dark mode now, not sure if that was Big Sur or before but it looks fairly nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

What's the general consensus on Boot Camp these days, can I get away with a 64gb partition? only plan on installing a few games and they will live on an external drive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

What's the general consensus on Boot Camp these days, can I get away with a 64gb partition? only plan on installing a few games and they will live on an external drive.

I use it for games on my 2012 iMac and it works great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

64gb is fine if you're using an external drive for the games

Boot Camp is "fine" on my 16". Thermal management is non-existent so it'll throttle itself hard on anything demanding unless you do a lot of manual configuration with 3rd party software like Quick CPU and Macs Fan Control.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Argh. I've been using it for eons without such an issue. The history icon in the dock is good at catching programs that are acting funny.

But now IT'S the one acting funny.

So after seeing the Activity Monitor eat up too many resources I tried iStat Menus from the app store. And when I quit the dock icon, the menu bar stats go away.

I thought that was the point? I've googled, and no one seems to have my issue.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ziploc posted:

So after seeing the Activity Monitor eat up too many resources I tried iStat Menus from the app store. And when I quit the dock icon, the menu bar stats go away.

I think there’s a setting to show or hide the dock icon

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The battery bullshit has been a thing in t2 Macs since Mojave at least.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Generic Monk posted:

I think there’s a setting to show or hide the dock icon

Any idea where?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ziploc posted:

That shouldn't be the behavior at all, in fact it says the opposite in the settings page

I would actually reach out to the developer, they're pretty responsive on this stuff.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Any Cyber Monday sales on must have Mac software?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

gariig posted:

Any Cyber Monday sales on must have Mac software?

Do you like World of Warcraft?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sad Panda posted:

Are there any other commands that might be worth a try? Any other suggestions before I say 'take it to a professional and pay them money if you really need the data off it'?

It's been tried in a different Mac.

I'd say it's about at that "try a professional" stage. The most you could do is confirm whether the disk is failing by using a utility to look at the drive's S.M.A.R.T. health monitor data. Here's one that was a high google hit (haven't tried it myself, I usually do this stuff with Linux in a virtual machine):

https://www.volitans-software.com/apps/smart-utility/

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So the ‘From’ field has disappeared from the Apple Mail app - does anyone know where that’s gone or how to get it back?

It’s kind of annoying not to be able to use my aliases!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The From: dropdown is still there in Big Sur in my new emails. I just changed accounts in a sent message.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

The From: dropdown is still there in Big Sur in my new emails. I just changed accounts in a sent message.

Weird. I can’t seem to find a way to turn it back on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sri.Theo posted:

So the ‘From’ field has disappeared from the Apple Mail app - does anyone know where that’s gone or how to get it back?

It’s kind of annoying not to be able to use my aliases!

This thing is missing for you? I'm on Big Sur as well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are there any good iOS apps I should use on a MacBook Pro now either for fun or use

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Empress Brosephine posted:

are there any good iOS apps I should use on a MacBook Pro now either for fun or use

Awful.app!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

This thing is missing for you? I'm on Big Sur as well.

Yes exactly - that last field is gone and it lets you customise other options like bcc but ‘from’ isn’t an option. I’m wondering if it’s an issue with account settings as I’m using aliases on outlook.com.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Overcast if you listen to podcasts

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any decent guides to configuring MacOS for elevated privacy or is that a lost cause? Or a 3rd party tool or script instead of 1000 manual steps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacOS is pretty privacy focused out of the box, what is your ultimate goal?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FCKGW posted:

MacOS is pretty privacy focused out of the box, what is your ultimate goal?

I don't want MacOS phoning home rando data. It's not for normal use.

e: I mean I don't really need it to be that secure but I was looking for more of a learning experience.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 2, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't want MacOS phoning home rando data. It's not for normal use.

e: I mean I don't really need it to be that secure but I was looking for more of a learning experience.

If you're talking about the OCSP failures from a couple weeks ago I would strongly recommend you ignore that stupid "Your Computer Isn't Yours!" blogpost and read this technical blogpost about what's going on instead
https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/

You can disable the checks by modifying your /etc/ hosts file but you're putting yourself at greater security risk by doing so.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that fiasco was more about Apple not appropriately addressing a failure state.

OCSP is a thing you really don't want to bypass.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Wrong thread

Violator
May 15, 2003

The app Little Snitch will stop stuff from phoning home, but apparently some Apple services can bypass it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Violator posted:

The app Little Snitch will stop stuff from phoning home, but apparently some Apple services can bypass it.

They couldn't until Apple specifically put in a bypass in Big Sur... :/

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

the talent deficit posted:

this is mostly because BLAS and LAPACK (linear algebra libraries) really have no equivalent outside of FORTRAN and nearly all scientific computing relies on them. it's easier to port FORTRAN to a new platform than it is to write a performant linear algebra library in a supported language. it's kind of suprising apple hasn't done so

Interestingly, the often ridiculed STATA now runs natively. Apparently they have this figured out somehow.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of wireless headphones, and so far my experience is absolutely confirming all my Old Man Yells At Cloud opinions that prevented me from doing so earlier. Using them during the workday on my Mac and sometimes they'll be absolutely fine for hours, and sometimes there'll be microstutters every minute or two that wreck the whole experience. I'm poring through console logs and Bluetooth Explorer trying to find any activity that correlates with the stutters and feeling massively disheartened at how common this issue seems to be, and that there's apparently no decisive way to troubleshoot something that should have been solved years ago.

Is this just how Bluetooth audio is? Am I missing a trick for fixing my music or is stuttery audio the price everybody has agreed to pay for not being tethered to the desktop by a cable?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

TACD posted:

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a pair of wireless headphones, and so far my experience is absolutely confirming all my Old Man Yells At Cloud opinions that prevented me from doing so earlier. Using them during the workday on my Mac and sometimes they'll be absolutely fine for hours, and sometimes there'll be microstutters every minute or two that wreck the whole experience. I'm poring through console logs and Bluetooth Explorer trying to find any activity that correlates with the stutters and feeling massively disheartened at how common this issue seems to be, and that there's apparently no decisive way to troubleshoot something that should have been solved years ago.

Is this just how Bluetooth audio is? Am I missing a trick for fixing my music or is stuttery audio the price everybody has agreed to pay for not being tethered to the desktop by a cable?

That hasn’t been my experience. Stuttering happens occasionally but it’s rare, maybe once or twice a week.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

My experience is that it happens, but pretty reliable related to location (one spot at my local train station is particularly prone to causing skips) so it's most likely tied to overall RF environment. So my obvious question is if you notice any difference if you move around or just sit in a different spot?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how much were the headphones

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve had AirPods bug out pretty frequently on airplanes but not anywhere else.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I’d you’re in the Mac ecosystem you were very dumb to not buy Apple manufactured headphones. It seems like they go out of their way to make the experience poo poo on anything NOT airpods.

Much the same as they make using AirPods on windows just annoying enough to not be worth it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tippis posted:

My experience is that it happens, but pretty reliable related to location (one spot at my local train station is particularly prone to causing skips) so it's most likely tied to overall RF environment. So my obvious question is if you notice any difference if you move around or just sit in a different spot?
I'm just working at the desk sat right in front of my Mac. I'd be way more forgiving if I was wandering around the flat streaming music from the desktop.

I've at least found a useful diagnostic; the audio graph feature of Bluetooth Explorer (available here in 'Additional Tools for Xcode 11.4' BTW) has a 'Retransmissions' plot that basically seems to equate to Bluetooth packet loss:

I just rebooted and my music is playing flawlessly with retransmissions at ~5%; when it was loving up a minute ago the retransmission rate was at ~60%. I guess I'll watch this graph like a hawk and try to figure out what sets it off.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how much were the headphones
Pretty expensive ☹️

Crunchy Black posted:

I’d you’re in the Mac ecosystem you were very dumb to not buy Apple manufactured headphones. It seems like they go out of their way to make the experience poo poo on anything NOT airpods.
I want over-the-ear headphones and I don't want to spend my life trying to stop earbuds falling out of my ears and into the drain. Maybe I'll kick myself when the AirPods Studio come out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 3, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I was surprised they weren't announced this fall but I guess between M1 taking precedence and supply shortages they got delayed. I agree with you, though, over the ear updated beats with active noise cancellation will be a day 1 purchase for me. [And I even own two pairs of Powerbeats Pro]

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has there been any update from Apple when they might expect Big Sur to be available for the late 2013 Retina MBPs? I'm aware they published a KB article about what to do if you have problems, but my laptop isn't being offered the update.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If I have the latest (and probably last) 13” 4-TB Port Intel MBP running BS and the most recent version of Premiere Pro CC, is it unusual that scrubbing through a 1080p timeline previewing titles, graphics and transitions runs smoother in (deprecated)OpenCL than Metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah I was surprised they weren't announced this fall but I guess between M1 taking precedence and supply shortages they got delayed. I agree with you, though, over the ear updated beats with active noise cancellation will be a day 1 purchase for me. [And I even own two pairs of Powerbeats Pro]
Don't they have that already or are those on ear rather than over ear?