Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Brunch Covidian posted:

I hosed this up bad
don't sweat it, it's CSPAM, we've been loving up constantly for like four years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like the idea of book but I'm not going to give any personal info to someone with an 11 day old forum account

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Race Realists posted:

now i cant unsee it

im not going to pretend i read the book like some smug nerd, i just know im considering going on the quotes section of goodreads

this post expresses a full and complete understanding of A Confederacy of Dunces

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Race Realists posted:

now i cant unsee it

im not going to pretend i read the book like some smug nerd, i just know im considering going on the quotes section of goodreads

theres a lot of race realism in the book

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

i read most posts as ignacious.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hey Brunch Covidian I hear you have 1250 dollars burning a hole in your pocket that you want to use to help the cause of antifascism
why not donate it to the international anti-fascist defence fund? :sun:

icecream citadel
Nov 4, 2020

Bideo James posted:

theres a lot of race realism in the book

I can't tell how much of it was sincere and how much of it wasn't. It's certainly a snapshot of a certain time and place in a unique artistic voice but also an immature one. Many of the deliberately horrible secondary characters land horribly flat and uncomfortable while the Ignatius and Myrna characters are the gold standard for reflection on certain types of modern internet dwellers. I don't know, maybe I've read it too many times.

Victory Position posted:

this post expresses a full and complete understanding of A Confederacy of Dunces

lol

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

icecream citadel posted:

I can't tell how much of it was sincere and how much of it wasn't. It's certainly a snapshot of a certain time and place in a unique artistic voice but also an immature one. Many of the deliberately horrible secondary characters land horribly flat and uncomfortable while the Ignatius and Myrna characters are the gold standard for reflection on certain types of modern internet dwellers. I don't know, maybe I've read it too many times.

yes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

icecream citadel posted:

I recommend it! Some of it aged a little too poorly imo, but if you consider that this sort of thing wasn't really written about in the 1960's, Ignatius the the very model of the sexless Monarchist blowhard constantly writing long screeds about "the divine right of kings," moral purity and the evils of Communism. In that regard, it's only gotten more relevant.

it's a 100% excellent book and absolutely captures the early 2010s neoreactionary blogger perfectly, except 50 years ahead.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just chiming in to say that it's a good book (the sartre one) and also brunch covidians is a cool name.

However, I prefer "ranch covidian" which is a term I came up for CHUDs, you're welcome to use it.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Toole killed himself because he saw his future as a forumsposter.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Samovar posted:

Do I want to know? Oh, who am I kidding I know I shouldn't, but I just want to hear about the logic behind... Whatever this is.

They wanted to use femboys to erase transwomen. Some real "transwomen aren't real but femboys are" stuff where they wanted to "convince" transwomen that they could be a femboy. They also wanted to "confuse" normies so that people would call transwomen femboys. They also wanted to make an exception for being gay? Like it's only okay if it's with a femboy (but wouldn't that make the femboy gay?) inspired by japanese social nonsense.

They hosed up hard and now normies have a nice term for cis-male cross dressers. Trans acceptance shot up recently, I'm not saying femboys did that but the goal was for it to do the opposite.

The right wing is dumb as gently caress.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol don’t read anna’s Twitter or empathize. Dude I’m in a thread laughing at nazi Twitter weirdos and I try to understand how this poo poo happens.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

miniscule12 posted:

They wanted to use femboys to erase transwomen. Some real "transwomen aren't real but femboys are" stuff where they wanted to "convince" transwomen that they could be a femboy. They also wanted to "confuse" normies so that people would call transwomen femboys. They also wanted to make an exception for being gay? Like it's only okay if it's with a femboy (but wouldn't that make the femboy gay?) inspired by japanese social nonsense.

They hosed up hard and now normies have a nice term for cis-male cross dressers. Trans acceptance shot up recently, I'm not saying femboys did that but the goal was for it to do the opposite.

The right wing is dumb as gently caress.

it is absolutely because they're all rock loving hard for cute fembois with big bubble butts and for no other reason. all that other poo poo is just justification.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Just chiming in to say that it's a good book (the sartre one) and also brunch covidians is a cool name.

However, I prefer "ranch covidian" which is a term I came up for CHUDs, you're welcome to use it.

kranch covidians

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it is absolutely because they're all rock loving hard for cute fembois with big bubble butts and for no other reason. all that other poo poo is just justification.

You're probably right, but lol their "degeneracy" has betrayed them.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont think there was an organized nazi femboy propaganda campaign its just a 4chan meme so theres overlap. its like how they were making lovely synth music a couple years ago

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/GoranGligovic/status/1333710708282957825?s=19

they don't care

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the lesson I learned from Wuthering Heights is “these manor folk of the moors are fuckin batshit, goddamn”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If there's one book I think of as lacking in expressed moral lessons it's The Great Gatsby.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Okay but why this thread because this looks more like a YA complaint than an alt-right one

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Heath posted:

Okay but why this thread because this looks more like a YA complaint than an alt-right one

are you serious right now, because that is the exact gripes they have about about colleges being sjw indoctrination centers to a tee

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Heath posted:

i thought the guy making the embedded tweet was a nazi or soemthing but he appears to not be

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

we need a new thread for extremely confusing screencaps/quote tweets etc of adults arguing about YA novels. imagine how loving awful it would get immediately

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

i thought the guy making the embedded tweet was a nazi or soemthing but he appears to not be

no the tweet the guy was responding to

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/oliviasolon/status/1334241066724290565?s=21

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

we need a new thread for extremely confusing screencaps/quote tweets etc of adults arguing about YA novels. imagine how loving awful it would get immediately

that famous YA novel huckleberry finn

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I don't think that person understands what Gatsby was about

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Race Realists posted:

that famous YA novel huckleberry finn

this current discourse is all a riff on a twitter YA novel author writing a 'TOP 20 WORST CLASSICS THAT YOU HAVE TO LEARN IN SCHOOL' thread where moby dick is #1. see this is what were missing without the cspam YA thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s pretty clear that teaching them is worthless if they misunderstood the book.

I know the more fun thing is lol stupid idiots but it’s more likely they weren’t exactly used well.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/1334284235901972481

https://twitter.com/jtylerconway/status/1334286210223706121

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1334286828065656832

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its just a classic high IQ internet dipshit philosophy debate that has no connection to reality. my experience in high school was that we learned a mix of YA and classics and it all sucked because the teachers never gave a poo poo and just told us what the themes of every text was so we could repeat them in the one essay we'd have to write

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s funny because Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye are the fossil remains of an earlier generation of reformers who tried to get literature relevant to the times and the experiences of children into schools.

“YA” as a category is dumb as poo poo because how do you define it? Commercial and limited symbolism with a small vocabulary? Salinger would have said he was writing books that anyone could enjoy and was expressing ideas he considered important. Young adult literature just seems like the latest iteration of pulp or direct-to-paperback adventure or romance.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Which is not to say that novels for kids that speak to their experiences aren’t important and can’t be good even if you’re not a kid, but when you’re 30 and get angry about books that aren’t marketed to teenagers, there’s something dysfunctional going on there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There is only one good YA author in all of history and it is Terry Pratchett

Do the Earthsea books count as YA? If so Le Guin also qualifies but I've never read them, I'm working more on the strength of her being the obviously greatest author America has ever produced

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Race Realists posted:

are you serious right now, because that is the exact gripes they have about about colleges being sjw indoctrination centers to a tee

Are you referring to the tweet you posted or the thing he's responding to? Because he's right, there is absolutely a contingent of people who approach every story as though it's a moral lesson and what he's responding to is a real dumb take

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

when people say YA in the context of people going psycho on twitter i think they generally mean this specific subculture or whatever of authors who got their start writing harry potter fanfic 20 years ago

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

they also, as the tweet said, believe that every book must be didactic—that it must have a meaning which a clever reader can glean and internalize. a meaning, singular. none of these people have ever written a word of literature in their lives.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
It's also illiteracy in confusing plot points or characterizations in a book with "this is what the author things is good and right"

How else do you end up with that reading of Gatsby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

brugroffil posted:

It's also illiteracy in confusing plot points or characterizations in a book with "this is what the author things is good and right"

How else do you end up with that reading of Gatsby?

I want every one of these people to read Lolita and write an essay on it. Or at least a tweet.