Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ups_rail posted:

In regards to tiny toons. I remember watching it as a kid. I feel like it was the last gasp of the 1980 s Cartoons but they are kids like they did with flintstones kids, pup named scooby doo etc.

Pup Named Scooby Doo is arguably better than the original Scooby Doo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

Pup Named Scooby Doo is arguably better than the original Scooby Doo.

I have to heavily disagree there

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
fun fact: Tom Reugger, the showrunner on Pup Named Scooby Doo (as well as 13 Ghosts) would later be the creator/showrunner of Tiny Toons (as well as the other 90s Steven Spielberg Presents shows plus Histeria and Road Rovers)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Original Scooby Doo has the good rear end painted backgrounds, the music, and is also a genre unto itself. A Pup Named Scooby Doo is just another kids' show, it's fine, but retro Scooby Doo is such an influential cartoon it's hard to compare them imho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Pup Named Scooby Doo actually made it possible to figure out the culprit from clues before the characters did, iirc, or at least tried to.

Scooby Doo has been so all over the place though that a babies spinoff seems less gratuitous than it was for everybody goddamn else in the late 80s/early 90s.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kate Micucci is a great Velma.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/hildatheseries/status/1333410453209300997

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fffffuck yeah

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

we have been Heard, the goth librarian is back

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I binged the entire Animaniacs series and only got one ad at the beginning of the first episode. I think it depends on what it is that you're watching.

Kids programming and movies don't have interstitial ads. You might get an ad at the beginning sometimes, but they don't interrupt the show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Was that a viking ghost with a Bat'leth I saw there?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Kate Micucci is a great Velma.
She only started with Be Cool tough, right ? Or did she do a movie before that ?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

fun fact: Tom Reugger, the showrunner on Pup Named Scooby Doo (as well as 13 Ghosts) would later be the creator/showrunner of Tiny Toons (as well as the other 90s Steven Spielberg Presents shows plus Histeria and Road Rovers)

I liked 13 ghosts.

Also I loving got the theme from flinstone kids stuck in my head now.

There was also popeye and son guess the sons name, it was popeye jr. So creative.

so off the top of my head we have

Muppet babies.

Flintston kids

Pup named scooby doo

Tom and jerry kids.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ups_rail posted:

Muppet babies.

Flintston kids

Pup named scooby doo

Tom and jerry kids.
There was also Jungle Book Kids, which was one of the more odd things they were playing on Toon Disney in the early 2000s.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

I liked 13 ghosts.

Also I loving got the theme from flinstone kids stuck in my head now.

There was also popeye and son guess the sons name, it was popeye jr. So creative.

Muppet babies.

Flintston kids

Pup named scooby doo

Tom and jerry kids.

There was also Yo Yogi which was probably one of the worst things Hanna-Barbera ever made

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tom & Jerry Kids was godawful. It was so bad that since I was at an age before I could understand that tv could be good or bad, I just felt extreme irritation at it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't there a baby Looney Tunes show?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't there a baby Looney Tunes show?

Tiny Toon Adventures started this conversation in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a really weird trend, and distinct from stuff like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that's actually clearly aimed at a younger demographic. Maybe because they thought all those characters being well-established brands meant that kids would think they're old and boring unless it was hammered home that no really they're little kids too?

Occasionally you get it the other way around, like Rugrats All Grown Up and Quack Pack. Usually not a lot better.

vvv: I know, but similar point; the 'older' characters are put into the background with the younger substitutes getting the spotlight.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 1, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Tiny Toons weren’t young versions, they were taught at Acme Looniversity by old ones.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 1, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Oh no

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

This one from my recollection wasn't really terrible like a lot of the other Kids/Baby versions, it was just really boring

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a really weird trend, and distinct from stuff like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that's actually clearly aimed at a younger demographic. Maybe because they thought all those characters being well-established brands meant that kids would think they're old and boring unless it was hammered home that no really they're little kids too?

Occasionally you get it the other way around, like Rugrats All Grown Up and Quack Pack. Usually not a lot better.

vvv: I know, but similar point; the 'older' characters are put into the background with the younger substitutes getting the spotlight.

The real reason is that Muppet Babies was a really huge hit back in the 80's so everyone was trying to recapture that magic, the success of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo and especially Rugrats during the 90's merely pushed this even harder for a while

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The only reason I know loony toons is because nickelodeon had looney toons back in the 1990s they would also play the old black and white cartoons.

For some reason I think I d like a reboot of Jem and the holigrams

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ups_rail posted:

A finger on the monkey’s paw curls slowly inwards.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ups_rail posted:

Go read Kelly Thompson and Sophie Campbell's run of the Jem Comics and its associated acts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aww, they're cancelling Ducktales! That show was great!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MikeJF posted:

Aww, they're cancelling Ducktales! That show was great!

Wait really? Why? Wasn't it doing really well?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

General consensus seems to be 'Disney doesn't do more than three seasons per animated show'.

I dunno, it seems silly to me. They've set up about a dozen spinoff possibities, so who knows, maybe they'll shift the team over and start one of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well there apparently is a Darkwing Duck reboot coming at some point but it’s being made by a completely different creative team and may or may not not line up with the Darkwing from the current series

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe they wanna quit whilst they're ahead which is a completely valid tactic imho.

Nothing's worse when a previously good thing visibly rots off screen from what is essentially old age (MLP springs to mind though Star Vs is a pretty good local example).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 3, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

General consensus seems to be 'Disney doesn't do more than three seasons per animated show'.

I suspect Covid and Disney taking it in the pants from their theme parks being closed may factor into it as well. Animation is super expensive and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they're shifting focus to projects that are cheaper and easier to produce for a while.

OTOH animation is something I imagine you could do from home unlike live action so who the hell really knows.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It also costs more to go over 3 seasons due to union rules and doing that backfired recently for Disney with Star Vs and Star Wars Rebels as both massively underperformed during their fourth seasons

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, if it's about loving over labor laws, then I can understand why Disney would do that. It's a shame. I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow tried to return to it again, but I think the Ducktales superhero stuff was incredibly boring and not capable of sustaining a show on its own.

The Flophouse reminded me about the Scooby movies, and I watched Happy Halloween Scooby Doo, and apparently the movies are now building continuity between themselves? Weird. I think it couldn't quite balance all the weird elements against eachother as well as the previous movies I've seen, they kinda lost track of the pacing.

I also think the way Kate Micucci plays Velma is a bit too abrasive to carry the whole movie like they were trying. I think she had a different, more energetic delivery in Be Cool Scooby Doo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also Ducktales getting cancelled means we only got a season and a half of Della, that's not fair.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
something something comic continuation

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
They also moved it to Disney XD, instead of having it on the main channel, where it kind of suffered.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Also Ducktales getting cancelled means we only got a season and a half of Della, that's not fair.

The creators have said it will be getting a proper finale at least so that’s something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PicklePants posted:

They also moved it to Disney XD, instead of having it on the main channel, where it kind of suffered.

That seems to be a trend with a lot of their shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really don't know what Disney really wants out of its TV shows anyways. It seems like their TV division is extremely low priority for the company as a whole, and having a successful show would practically be a burden for them, because that's the only segment of the company that isn't designed to milk IPs indefinitely for all their worth, and bringing a TV show to the next step is a hassle.