Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, while the scanlator may have just been naive or unfamiliar with the history of the US or whatever, that doesn't really matter; "Blackie" is bad and should be changed ASAP.

Also, his English name is "Superalloy Darkshine", not "Superalloy Blackshine", so if anything his nickname should be- Oh.

...Wait, didn't a scanlator actually call him "Darky" a while back? Was it this one or a different one? Pretty sure that would have gotten some feedback, so if this is their way of responding/trying to do better after that one, that'd be... Something.

Edit: This is the worst snipe, oh no.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There is no changing scans. First scan out is out there forever in the wild wasteland of the internet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AfricanBootyShine posted:

arguing over whether the translated nickname used for the buff blackface guy/golliwog doll on steroids is racist or not is missing the forest for the trees

Yeah. For good or for ill, one of the main jokes of OPM is that the superheros and supervillains are uniformly outrageous caricatures and stereotypes.

It turns out some of those caricatures are less comfortable than others.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Gonna be curious to see what the Viz translation looks like here. Darkshine is such a cool character as a CONCEPT but the artistic design is undeniably racist. One of those times where I get filtered by Japanese racial insensitivity.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man this totally reminds me of this tone-deaf scanlated manhwa (at least, I think it was a manhwa and not a manga) I read years ago. Forgot the name and most of the details, but the lead girl was half-African, and Koreans aren't the most, uh, race-sensitive people, so it was loving uncomfortable to read and I dropped it. I think the manhwa itself got cancelled or ended in like 2 volumes? Tons of manhwa never got proper closure back then, either getting canned, going on indefinite hiatus, or having the magazines they were running in go out of business. My memory is very hazy and I do not really feel like looking it up.

What little I do remember is that the MC called the lead girl Blacky (깜둥이 or something?) which is an inoffensive and somewhat common name for black-furred dogs (sorta like callin' a black dog/cat Kuro I guess) but obviously not acceptable when dealing with an actual loving human being.

I just remember being so flabbergasted at the gall of the author and wondering if this was acceptable. I read the thing like 10+ years ago, and got knows when it was actually published.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Did everyone forget that PPP using the nickname "Darkie" already happened way back when Dark shine first met PPP after he had been quickly beaten by Garou. Don't want to discourage any of the conversation, just curious why this is surprising to people now, when it first happened months ago?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair the chapter updates have been sporadic and chronologically confusing that tons of people probably forgot.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Garou wanting to become a massive monster to unite everyone against him in a Doctor Manhattan sense is such a great character moment that just fits him so well. I love that

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I am going to become pure evil

to make the world a better place :3:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think we're all overlooking something, and that is that somehow Fubuki wearing cutoffs and a tanktop seems less of a horny drawing from Murata than her regular dress does.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think we're all overlooking something, and that is that somehow Fubuki wearing cutoffs and a tanktop seems less of a horny drawing from Murata than her regular dress does.

somehow the dress leaves *less* to the imagination than showing midriff

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, while the scanlator may have just been naive or unfamiliar with the history of the US or whatever, that doesn't really matter; "Blackie" is bad and should be changed ASAP.

In the scan I'm looking at, it says 'Darky', which is in line with the official localization.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Maxwell Adams posted:

In the scan I'm looking at, it says 'Darky', which is in line with the official localization.

Where I live that's also way more recognisible as an old rear end racist term than Blackie would be so that's swell.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
He's in blackface and literally named Dark Shine, he was already a hate crime.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

welcome posted:

He's in blackface and literally named Dark Shine, he was already a hate crime.

It is unclear whether that is tanning lotion or if he has gone through minor monsterfication/limit breaking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's an extreme body builder and that includes extreme tanning. none of the other heroes are really body builders, not even the super buff ones.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I mean Tank Top Master is but the power of tank tops kept him from being a problematic character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vise the Stompy posted:

I mean Tank Top Master is but the power of tank tops kept him from being a problematic character.

he's swole but he's not like, competitive body building swole. it's a very distinctive and imo kind of offputting aesthetic.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

oh jay posted:

It is unclear whether that is tanning lotion or if he has gone through minor monsterfication/limit breaking.

I am genuinely wondering if a future reveal in the story is that many of the S Class heroes are actually partially monsterized. In the latest redraw of the PPP chapter, it was notable to me that people were straight up calling him a monster. Also there was some potential foreshadowing of Watchdog Man as a potential costumed monster in the Phoenix Man redraw fight.

Most of the S Class seem capable of supernatural feats, and there have been numerous references to the fact that the S Class heroes are in a tier that seems off limits to the A class through normal training/development.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've never really gotten what they were doing with superpowers in this series. At first it seemed like the only things that had true superpowers were monsters. All the heroes just had varying degrees of strength and combat prowess or odd physical quirks. There's also Genos and other tech-enhanced people, but that really doesn't count.

Then Tornado is introduced and she actually has superpowers. But I guess she isn't a monster? Okay fine. Espers must one of the few exceptions and that's why she so high ranked in S class.

But then there's Psykos and she is a monster I guess, even though grew up with Fubuki or something as a normal person. Is she a human esper pretending to be a monster, or a monster with psychic powers who can pass as human?

And then there's Green who has the only superhuman ability that has nothing to do with psychic powers. Is he a monster or is he literally one of a kind?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

oh jay posted:

I've never really gotten what they were doing with superpowers in this series. At first it seemed like the only things that had true superpowers were monsters. All the heroes just had varying degrees of strength and combat prowess or odd physical quirks. There's also Genos and other tech-enhanced people, but that really doesn't count.

Then Tornado is introduced and she actually has superpowers. But I guess she isn't a monster? Okay fine. Espers must one of the few exceptions and that's why she so high ranked in S class.

But then there's Psykos and she is a monster I guess, even though grew up with Fubuki or something as a normal person. Is she a human esper pretending to be a monster, or a monster with psychic powers who can pass as human?

And then there's Green who has the only superhuman ability that has nothing to do with psychic powers. Is he a monster or is he literally one of a kind?
Monsters are partly a state of mind, I think. Whenever a person becomes a monster, without fail, they become extremely sociopathic and just revel in destruction and killing people for no reason. I guess as long as you aren't like that, you're still considered human.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Are you a baddie with superpowers? Monster

Are you not a baddie with superpowers? Hero

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Are you a baddie with superpowers? Monster

Are you not a baddie with superpowers? Hero

TIL Armored Gorilla is now a hero.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Monster is a state of mind. Hero is a career. (Sometimes it's a hobby.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eonwe posted:

somehow the dress leaves *less* to the imagination than showing midriff

Murata is horny in a way than mortals can only aspire to.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

oh jay posted:

TIL Armored Gorilla is now a hero.

He's not a hero, just a regular dude trying to live his life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oh jay posted:

Well, let's put it this way. You can have superpowers no problem. That's a given. For one, most of these people aside from Genos are like Freeza or Vegeta they can just take an absolute beating every day.

Heroes are, by and large, still mostly humanoid than not. Look at the monsters. Crablante, Demon Fan, that walking plum guy with a richocheting out in his head. They're not all there at the end of the day. This is the first time we've seen humans causing destruction like monsters so that's wild and new.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
The lines are definitely blurred. Tank Top Master's origin definitely fits the OPM monster "I ate so much crab that I became a crab monster" MO. Whereas Monaco is a mostly harmless monster whose violence seems to be more of a nurture vs nature situation, since she is now friendly and cooperative, despite technically being a monster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

The lines are definitely blurred. Tank Top Master's origin definitely fits the OPM monster "I ate so much crab that I became a crab monster" MO. Whereas Monaco is a mostly harmless monster whose violence seems to be more of a nurture vs nature situation, since she is now friendly and cooperative, despite technically being a monster.

Monaco would be stabbing people in the neck with a sharp rock if she could get away with it. That giant eye isn't just for show, she knows that she can't take Flashy Flash or Saitama in a fight. Best she can hope for is to lead them to Orochi and let him tear them apart.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Other than Carnage Kabuto, the House of Evolution monsters weren't really "evil" per se. They were just following Genus's orders.

Genus was an evil dickbag though. And I guess since he genetically modified himself, that makes him a monster?

Maybe the literal translation of Mysterious Being would be less confusing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I will riot if anything bad happens to Manako.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The House of Evolution creations though are probably a bit different than "regular" monsters.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

They're gene modified animals, it seems like "monsterification" is a wholly different process.

Zombieman also falls into this category, I don't think he has monsterified in the same way as, say, the crab weirdo. He's just a normal guy with special genes that give him enhanced strength and super regeneration.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sweet Mask is hovering somewhere between being a monster and being Ohma from Kengan Ashura with those loving veins flexing through his body most panel, IMO.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I will riot if anything bad happens to Manako.

I have generally disliked how much the manga has bloated up from the webcomic but the Manako content has been a pure boon

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

They're gene modified animals, it seems like "monsterification" is a wholly different process.

Zombieman also falls into this category, I don't think he has monsterified in the same way as, say, the crab weirdo. He's just a normal guy with special genes that give him enhanced strength and super regeneration.

Dr. Genus, the only one in the series that had actually tried to define what a monster is, says that genetically modified things are monsters. And also aliens and other non-human creatures like the deep-sea folks are monsters too.

I guess what my ramblings are about is that his definition of monster sucks and I either don't get it or don't like it or both. I need precise definitions and science in my action-comedy manga where a man can become a crab by eating too much crab.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's simple: anything that attacks people and causes destruction of property is a monster. Anyone who is working for the Hero Association is a hero. That's it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the definition of "monster" seems pretty clearly fast and loose. that there's no clear definition is a feature not a bug

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sally posted:

the definition of "monster" seems pretty clearly fast and loose. that there's no clear definition is a feature not a bug

It's even one of the points of Garou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Look, it's real simple. Are you trying to wipe out humanity? If yes, you're a monster. If you're not then you're a criminal, civilian or hero.