Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I admire tremendously that Claremont evolved from just telling very, very virtuosic soap-opera style superhero comics to really teasing out the implications of heroes who were marked by their bodies as not quite human, who experienced puberty as a violent rupture of rebirth and transformation. I think it totally makes sense that the comics were drenched in hormones and body horror, and I don't think anyone in the long interregnum between him and Morrison came close to understanding that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So what are the odds that Warlock existing at all is actually part of some plan that Moira had in this timeline, since he's a mutant technarch, given where it went in other timelines and the fact that it seems like most of the way things went in this one were at least partially her trying to steer the ship towards this outcome? Because as much as there's some concern over what she thinks, having one of those accessible to her and an early incursion (lowercase) of the T-O Virus and all that...

...And how does her power interact with time travelers, anyway? Were some of the other timelines she died in alternate futures we are already aware of simply by a different name? The weirdness with Warlock had me thinking back to all that, again, y'know?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm still a bit behind but has there been a followup to that ominous bit in Powers of X #4 where Doug touches the plants on Krakoa and they start to change?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

KaosMachina posted:

...And how does her power interact with time travelers, anyway? Were some of the other timelines she died in alternate futures we are already aware of simply by a different name? The weirdness with Warlock had me thinking back to all that, again, y'know?

It's been established by the writers, if not the text, that the timelines of Moira's previous lives no longer exist so there's interaction with time travelers there. Beyond that, nothing's been established about time travel, so who knows? Basic Cable doesn't seem to have the tech, Rachel's temporal powers don't seem to involve time travel without some sort of extra catalyst and she's using them for psychometry right now, and Tempus is busy fast-forwarding clones. I think those are all the time travelers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KaosMachina posted:

So what are the odds that Warlock existing at all is actually part of some plan that Moira had in this timeline, since he's a mutant technarch, given where it went in other timelines and the fact that it seems like most of the way things went in this one were at least partially her trying to steer the ship towards this outcome? Because as much as there's some concern over what she thinks, having one of those accessible to her and an early incursion (lowercase) of the T-O Virus and all that...
This both sounds like it makes a lot of sense and would probably piss off a lot of older fans if not handled with care.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m reading the Claremont original New Mutants now, and it’s got way more horror and grotesque body horror stuff than I’d suspect based on the first 12 issues. It’s horny and weird and gross in ways that the main title just isn’t. It’s kind of shocking that what starts out as a teen melodrama title ends up with people’s bodies getting magically distorted and tons of scenes of people breaking down psychologically because their body’s been inhabited by a spirit or the Beyonder killed them and brought them back in two pages of Secret Wars II.
It's very pretty and again I 100% see why to some people it connects viscerally, it just didn't hit that level with me. I greatly prefer the adult versions of that cast.

Codependent Poster posted:

Current Magik owes a lot to Wells, Gillen, and Bendis. Hickman is building on them really well.
:haibrow:

I remember thinking "Why tf is Magik on the Phoenix Five?" to "Oh gently caress yeah Magik is the sleeper A-Lister no one outside of fandom knows" in just a few years. To date every LGBTQ+ friend I introduce to her falls in love. It's so disappointing the movie did her dirty when they had a good actress who looked the part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

It's been established by the writers, if not the text, that the timelines of Moira's previous lives no longer exist so there's interaction with time travelers there. Beyond that, nothing's been established about time travel, so who knows? Basic Cable doesn't seem to have the tech, Rachel's temporal powers don't seem to involve time travel without some sort of extra catalyst and she's using them for psychometry right now, and Tempus is busy fast-forwarding clones. I think those are all the time travelers.

Magik is still a time traveler she just never actually does it anymore.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Magik is still a time traveler she just never actually does it anymore.

I've always thought that was a side-effect of traveling through Limbo and not anything she had any real control over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

I've always thought that was a side-effect of traveling through Limbo and not anything she had any real control over.

She got control of it later, in (I think) Bendis' run she was traveling into the past to get magic training from Dr Strange and during Gillen's run she used it to strand Anole (I think) in a desert for like a week but make it seem like she just pranked him for half an hour.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

KaosMachina posted:

Every alternate future we've seen has been an alternate future of this timeline. It can be assumed that, in any of those wherein Moira is dead, events transpired so as to render her power inactive upon death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If her superpower is going back in time to reincarnate herself, why does she also have the power to hide with 100% effectiveness that she has superpowers and the power to have psychics only see her current life unless she wants them to know more? That seems like kind of a wide-ranging grab bag of superpowers contrived to rewrite like 50 years of comic books and hangs a lantern on how comics are an endless shaggy dog story that is doomed to become endlessly convoluted while being circumscribed within a basic premise and set of characters?

Is that why I quit reading new comics after Spiderman was revealed to be a clone? Holy poo poo.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If her superpower is going back in time to reincarnate herself, why does she also have the power to hide with 100% effectiveness that she has superpowers and the power to have psychics only see her current life unless she wants them to know more? That seems like kind of a wide-ranging grab bag of superpowers contrived to rewrite like 50 years of comic books and hangs a lantern on how comics are an endless shaggy dog story that is doomed to become endlessly convoluted while being circumscribed within a basic premise and set of characters?

Is that why I quit reading new comics after Spiderman was revealed to be a clone? Holy poo poo.

Her superpower is reliving her life when she dies. This makes her a weird blank spot for precogs. We don't know what happens with psychics, since I'm not sure she's had very many psychics deeply probing her mind that she wasn't letting in, but the woman has spent two whole lives with Charles Xavier, one with Magneto, and is currently spending a life with both. Blocking psychics out is a skill even normal people can learn and she's had plenty of time, and plenty of reason, to get real good at it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
moira doesn't have any innate ability to hide herself, but she's lived a very long time into several different distant futures. her power is accumulated knowledge.

also, remember that destiny died on muir island. at the time that had nothing to do with moira, but it's very due for a retcon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

moira doesn't have any innate ability to hide herself, but she's lived a very long time into several different distant futures. her power is accumulated knowledge.

also, remember that destiny died on muir island. at the time that had nothing to do with moira, but it's very due for a retcon.

Remember the lifetime where Moira was killed by the Brotherhood and Destiny called her a "blank spot" or something along those lines, implying that she has some sort of passive detection-evading power

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Remember the lifetime where Moira was killed by the Brotherhood and Destiny called her a "blank spot" or something along those lines, implying that she has some sort of passive detection-evading power

well, that worked more toward attracting destiny's attention than evading it. moira has an odd relationship with the future so why wouldn't she look weird to a precog?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I assumed that was more a reflection of her power than anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

One of Destiny's lines immediately after is Destiny saying "It's a cute natural defense, but useless once you know what you're looking for." and proceeded to tell Moira that now that Destiny has seen her, Destiny would continue to be aware of her.

I do imagine Moira has spent many times in her lifetimes working on psychic evasion techniques though. No doubt in my mind there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

One of Destiny's lines immediately after is Destiny saying "It's a cute natural defense, but useless once you know what you're looking for." and proceeded to tell Moira that now that Destiny has seen her, Destiny would continue to be aware of her.

I do imagine Moira has spent many times in her lifetimes working on psychic evasion techniques though. No doubt in my mind there.

Which might be one of the big reasons she is not okay with bringing her back

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looked up the page:

bobkatt013 posted:

Which might be one of the big reasons she is not okay with bringing her back
It is. Destiny literally ordered burnt Moira alive, slowly, for doing something she didn't approve of. Any aspect of Krakoa that Destiny doesn't approve of could unravel the whole enterprise.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hellions continues to be a beautiful star in the vast sea of empty darkness that is the universe. It does the whole spinning a bunch of plates at once so much better and more entertaining than both Hickman's comics and Tini Howard's Excalibur.

"CLIIIIIIIVE!!!"

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hellions and X-Factor go a long way in endearing the Krakoa status quo for me. Both are such fun explorations of the griminess and weirdness underlying the premise in such different ways.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really like how X-Factor is showing The Five more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-Factor good.

Although for the record, Eye-Boy, Mercury is bisexual.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Saoshyant posted:

Hellions continues to be a beautiful star in the vast sea of empty darkness that is the universe. It does the whole spinning a bunch of plates at once so much better and more entertaining than both Hickman's comics and Tiny Howard's Excalibur.

"CLIIIIIIIVE!!!"

I just wanted to say I misread Tiny Howard as Tiny Coward at first and it made me chuckle.
But also, agreed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

but no seriously as much as my feelings on this are decidedly mixed I implicitly trust Leah Williams with this whole Baby Rockslide thing

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

KaosMachina posted:

I just wanted to say I misread Tiny Howard as Tiny Coward at first and it made me chuckle.
But also, agreed.

Oh hey, I messed up spelling Tini Howard's name. poo poo. Well, point remains that Excalibur is also trying to set up a lot of plates spinning and isn't doing a good job of making that process work well or be entertaining to watch.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know why I didn't enjoy this issue of X-Factor as much as I did the other issues. I don't think there was anything wrong with it, but for some reason it just wasn't my speed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so i guess nanny's origin has been retconned and she is naturally an egg now.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

No, her innate egg-ness has been honed so now she is truly... hard-boiled.

Can't wait for her to start her own team, EggXcalibur. EggXelscior!

I regret nothing.

radlum
May 13, 2013

I thought she was just wearing the egg Shell as she does her egg armor

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metalshark posted:

No, her innate egg-ness has been honed so now she is truly... hard-boiled.

Can't wait for her to start her own team, EggXcalibur. EggXelscior!

I regret nothing.

I assume Hard-Boiled Henry is on this team

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm super hyped for the worst x-men to face the jerkiest x-villain

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

but no seriously as much as my feelings on this are decidedly mixed I implicitly trust Leah Williams with this whole Baby Rockslide thing
Lmfao

Yeah I hope they go somewhere interesting, because vanilla Rockslide is underrated and seeing him chumped wasn't fun.

Gologle posted:

I don't know why I didn't enjoy this issue of X-Factor as much as I did the other issues. I don't think there was anything wrong with it, but for some reason it just wasn't my speed.
It has a very leisure feel and is absolutely the "and the rest" book for the X-Cast. That's kind-of always been X-Factor's deal since the David era.

X-Men is primarily the Summers Family Power Hour so far
Excalibur is a lot of 90s fan-favorite picks doing a lore dive into an underrated corner of the mythos
Marauders is the A-List fan-favorites
New Mutants is the more popular/writer's picks for "new class" kids from the last 40 years (christ New Mutants is old)
Hellions is the dark horse of obscure characters (and Havok)
X-Force is ostensibly for the fans who miss Jim Lee 90s /Rick Remender's X-Force adventures against edgelord bad guys, very macho
Wolverine/Cable are the obligatory solo reads about Wolverine being Wolverine doing Wolverine things and Basic Cable doing the teen routine

That leaves X-Factor as the "and the rest" book. Aurora, Polaris, The Five, the Academy X kids... they're not worth throwing out just because there's no room for them in the banner books.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 3, 2020

radlum
May 13, 2013
I kind of wish the Five and the younger students had their own series; I can see the potential of going back to those characters, that brief scene between Emma and Dani was so good, I just wish we got more of that stuff.

Also, I love how kid Cable is now just Basic Cable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1334273618705084417?s=19

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

And is a mutant now, which is strange. I'm not complaining, both books this week were aces but there's a lot going on with Nanny which is just not something I'm used to in the slightest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

And is a mutant now, which is strange. I'm not complaining, both books this week were aces but there's a lot going on with Nanny which is just not something I'm used to in the slightest.

I mean, did we have any clue what the gently caress nanny was before this?

Has anything in Hellions contradicted anything we knew about Nanny before?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I mean, did we have any clue what the gently caress nanny was before this?

Off the top of my head, and with no research: she was a human member of the Right who was stealing (mutant?) babies for reasons and the Right betrayed her (because she betrayed or was using them?) and sealed her in the egg armor for reasons.

Edit: having researched it, I was right about her working for The Right where she was a cyberneticist but turned on them when she discovered they were anti-mutant because she, in fact, has always been a mutant. According to the Marvel Fandom wiki "Nanny's mutant power is a type of low-level telepathy/mind control, which she enhances by projecting a chemical "pixie dust" at her victims" and that's cited as coming from OG X-Factor #35.

rantmo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 3, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Nanny has always been one of my favorite minor comic book villains because picking up stray late-era Claremont issues here and there as a kid she was so inscrutable and odd looking. She never showed up in the cartoons, she didn't have a trading card or an action figure. All I had to go on to decipher why there was an egg running around and why it was doing such baffling and macabre stuff were the issues themselves, which, in true late-80s Claremont fashion, left a lot to the reader.

The Simonson/Simson issues that introduce her and Orphan Maker are classic. I love it when Walt played around with weird, unexpected, kind of whimsical silhouettes-- they show up at around the same time that the Right were getting a lot of play, and they fit right in with the big cartoony smiley-face helmets those guys always wore. It created such an unsettling and interesting contrast with how grim the plotting at that time was.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I would like to see them do something with Hollow beyond making her the perpetual victim. Penny's cool, bite the bullet and make her Omega-level sharp. Or use the fan theory that she's an empathic vampire who gets harder, sharper, and more dense the more negative emotions she feeds on. Then let her hang out with someone who can help her communicate, like Lin Li.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If I remember right Orphan-Maker is the one who has been retconned into being a mutant

And if how Hellions has been going is any indication there's a good reason it's never been talked about before.