Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

horchata posted:

Claire officially has her own youtube channel

https://youtu.be/Gf0FwdfAx6o

Ehhhh. Still not happy with her silence/waiting to see how things shook out with everything earlier this year. Not to mention if she's just doing straight up baking videos and not facing regular existential dread, what even is the point?

Rick's stuff has been great so far.

Does anyone know what/if Gaby is doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

quote:

not facing regular existential dread, what even is the point?
Does anyone know what/if Gaby is doing?

She's in New York. My understanding is that is a daily occurrence these days.

Gaby puts a ton of poo poo on Instagram and has been building a set in her kitchen. Dunno where that's leading, but it would be surprising if it were just stuck on her IG stories.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

horchata posted:

Claire officially has her own youtube channel

https://youtu.be/Gf0FwdfAx6o

I don't know how long this has been up but she has 20K subs already. Get 'em Claire.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Gabby has a YouTube channel too

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZJsnAdnDr3TaHWfwoSBkXw

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Better content than anything on BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXrMTozDLbI

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

honestly shocked claire would want to do videos again but it's hard to turn away the money machine i guess

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/andreana_o/status/1333903555590299652

https://twitter.com/newsladyB/status/1333942873482465286

BA doing their thing again. They changed the name of the recipe but didn't remove anything about it being a Haitian recipe.

It's going well, I think.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

lol this is TheStew all over again.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

honestly shocked claire would want to do videos again but it's hard to turn away the money machine i guess

I'm pretty sure she's just gonna make stuff from her book and not fancy versions of stuff she has no interest in

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I miss the days of Doritos consomme

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's funny because all they had to do was call it a pumpkin soup and maybe elude to the Haitian recipe as an inspiration (like they do now). This'll get used as an example of "PC Police", but it speaks more to that BA still isn't doing decent QA on cultural recipes. Surely in NYC there's people from those cultures they can swing these things by.

Speaking of, feels bad that at the end of Gaby's vid the next recommendation was a BA vid. I hope she finds decent success with that venture. Seeing her debut vids compared to Claire's is striking in what greater production gets ya.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 3, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The World Inferno posted:

It's funny because all they had to do was call it a pumpkin soup and maybe elude to the Haitian recipe as an inspiration (like they do now). This'll get used as an example of "PC Police", but it speaks more to that BA still isn't doing decent QA on cultural recipes. Surely in NYC there's people from those cultures they can swing these things by.

Speaking of, feels bad that at the end of Gaby's vid the next recommendation was a BA vid. I hope she finds decent success with that venture. Seeing her debut vids compared to Claire's is striking in what greater production gets ya.

They even attributed it to a writer who never worked on it and had no idea they were posting it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never seen so many people whine about a stupid recipe since Italians on Youtube. You shouldn't be allowed to leave any comments on recipe pages unless you have video proof of yourself making it without subsitutions and tasting it first.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Mu Zeta posted:

Never seen so many people whine about a stupid recipe since Italians on Youtube. You shouldn't be allowed to leave any comments on recipe pages unless you have video proof of yourself making it without subsitutions and tasting it first.

I don't think anyone is upset because this recipe tastes bad.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Tell us more about how whiny Haitians are regarding people appropriating the dish that celebrates their Revolution 216 years ago.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

nice meltdown

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Haitian-inspired Pumpkin Soup" seems like it'd get more clicks than "Soup Joumou" but idk, maybe there's something about exotic dish names that are actually super popular.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Soup Joumou has a lot of emotional symbolism behind it. Before the rebellion, it was food the French plantation owners were allowed to eat. And it was forbidden to the slaves on the island. Once the rebellion was successful, it became a symbol of their freedom with a healthy gently caress you to the French. So white peopling up a recipe that symbolizes the over throw of colonialism and slavery might be tone deaf.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Marcus Samuelsson is black (but not Haitian obv)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mu Zeta posted:

This right here? This is an incredibly lovely take and that wooshing noise was the point of the comments passing by overhead.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Facepalming so hard right now

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Take your own advice.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Its a bit racist of you all to care so much about this recipe being butchered because its from a black country, but not when Babish ruins carbonara.

np19
Dec 25, 2016
I got recommended a live channel on YouTube streaming 24/7 episodes of this fella named Justin Wilson. He is Cajun and also reading off of a card on his cutting board the entire time. It’s like if David Lynch made a cooking show.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Farideh Sadeghin has been doing more sponsored stuff on the Munchies channel and it's always just so lame compared to her normal stuff. She isn't really allowed to be her silly, crude self and while the videos are certainly more appealing to the mass market, they just seem so hollow to me.

I've been watching more and more of Matty Matheson, and the dude just cracks me up. His Homestyle Cookery videos are more or less straight-to-the-point cooking (or as straight-to-the-point as Matty can be), whereas his Just a Dash videos have been upping the surreal vibe. The food still looks good at the end but the journey there has been morphing into a philosophical shroom trip which is fun. The "Cincinatti Chili Demon" video was particularly weird.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

np19 posted:

I got recommended a live channel on YouTube streaming 24/7 episodes of this fella named Justin Wilson. He is Cajun and also reading off of a card on his cutting board the entire time. It’s like if David Lynch made a cooking show.

Aw, you're lucky. Justin Wilson's a treasure.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
He put out a recipe book containing recipes he's never made, despite claiming otherwise. A pork chop sandwich, BONE IN? Kind of lame.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

droll posted:

Its a bit racist of you all to care so much about this recipe being butchered because its from a black country, but not when Babish ruins carbonara.

He never claimed to be a food writer or expert though, lol.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Justin Wilson still the all-time champion on powerfully strong garlic bread---man was more red wine than blood.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

droll posted:

He put out a recipe book containing recipes he's never made, despite claiming otherwise. A pork chop sandwich, BONE IN? Kind of lame.

I assume you're talking about Matty Matheson here, and I have no idea if he's ever made the recipes, but bone-in pork chop sandwiches are definitely a thing at Maxwell Street-style polish stands in Chicago. http://jimsoriginal.com/Menu

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
He exclaimed after making it for the first time in his video "oh, you can't just eat the sandwich theres a bone in it". Selling a recipe book with recipes you haven't actually made is lame af.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

droll posted:

Carbonara doesn't hold any special cultural significance or symbolism, like this soup apparently does. I don't think there's a precise line in the sand you can draw on when screwing with recipes is inappropriate, but at least for me, messing around with a culturally important meal is firmly on the inappropriate side and using pancetta instead of guanciale due to availability in carbonara is firmly on the acceptable side. (Peas or cream in carbonara is probably my line for "incorrect, but i'm not calling for people's heads for it")

Like if someone made jerk chicken but got the spices off no one would care beyond "lol that's a lovely jerk chicken recipe".

enki42 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 3, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

droll posted:

Good lord gently caress off

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

droll posted:

He exclaimed after making it for the first time in his video "oh, you can't just eat the sandwich theres a bone in it". Selling a recipe book with recipes you haven't actually made is lame af.

what the gently caress are you talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r2fQm8IUCc&t=372s

he literally eats it with the bone in it. Do you honestly think he would publish a cookbook without making the recipes beforehand? what loving world do you live in?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Turns out when every single cook and chef in the world says "don't follow the recipe to the T gently caress around a bit with it and make it work for you" they're telling the truth and yeah if you want you can loving cut the bones out of your stupid loving pork chop sandwich jesus christ it's not that hard

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just want to lol at the idea of a sandwich with a goddamn bone in it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yall eat your sandwiches boneless or bone-in?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i only eat bones

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

Turns out when every single cook and chef in the world says "don't follow the recipe to the T gently caress around a bit with it and make it work for you" they're telling the truth and yeah if you want you can loving cut the bones out of your stupid loving pork chop sandwich jesus christ it's not that hard

Nice meltdown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Quick someone get Claire to do a McRib and see if she leaves the bones in or not.