Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

omg chael crash posted:

Ah, forgot I don’t have PMs any longer.

If guys want, you can reach out to me at whowatchesthem @ gmai and I’ll respond.

For Goons, I was thinking half off of retail price? I honestly don’t know how people price these things — they’re not new and I want to get rid of them quick.

I’ll start breaking down the Batmobile, Assembly Sqaure, and the two architecture sets tomorrow morning.

How do y’all usually ship these things?

For some sets, half off retail is incredibly generous. Especially with any of the $150+ sets. To find out prices, just go to bricklink and look at average sale prices. Because that includes sales both inside and outside the US, you get a happy medium.

For shipping modulars, if you are only shipping the set, they fit perfectly into flat rate priority mail large boxes. The base plate is the main problem with a lot of boxes but it fits in those with a bit of room to spare. All the pieces and manual end up filling the rest of the box. Depending on location it can be cheaper or more expensive but for simplicity those boxes are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I added street lamps.
I’m good for now...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Feenix posted:

Ok I added street lamps.
I’m good for now...

It looks seriously nice.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

FYI showing your last photo to my wife is why I had to buy the assembly square asap from chael. After the train I'm not eager to do another lighting setup, but maybe next christmas. Good job.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Feenix posted:

Ok I added street lamps.
I’m good for now...

That looks great!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a lighting solution that doesn't cost a hundred bucks for a single set?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

uXs posted:

Is there a lighting solution that doesn't cost a hundred bucks for a single set?

Aliexpress is about 1/5th the price. I say go for it! (and then tell me if they're any good)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought the Statue of Liberty would be fun without thinking about it too much. Yeah, that base is not a fun build. Every step is x4, half the pieces are single studs, and it’s all the same tan color. Architecture sets, gotta love em.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I sandwiched it between two vehicle builds and I think it was a fun change of pace/technique plus it looks pretty good! I liked the internal thing holding base and statue together, that looked neat.

I’m now halfway through the moon lander and that one is unexpectedly educational and detailed. They keep explaining small tidbits about the lander throughout it, I’m learning a lot. Nice!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

uXs posted:

I mean this cost me like 40/50 bucks on Amazon and brickloot. But it’s just generic downlights and 5 street lamps.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Feenix posted:

I mean this cost me like 40/50 bucks on Amazon and brickloot. But it’s just generic downlights and 5 street lamps.

I actually have questions about the lights. I have the holiday train light kit which has a box to house three AA batteries, and I assume some tiny controlling board to make sure the white led's stay on and the colored ones blink over the usb connector that plugs into it. Is yours the same way for each modular set? Or since it's a city scene and not christmas-specific and there's nothing blinking, can you plug everything into one USB hub on AC power and run it that way? I have no idea if they just use the standard power of USB ports, or if they're using the USB port form factor just for convenience, and custom wiring each connector to supply power. Don't want to just plug mine into one and have it fry. The instructions I think did mention to give it no more than 5V, but I think most fast-charging usb adapters are 2.4, so I wonder if that's even sufficient.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

smackfu posted:

I thought the Statue of Liberty would be fun without thinking about it too much. Yeah, that base is not a fun build. Every step is x4, half the pieces are single studs, and it’s all the same tan color. Architecture sets, gotta love em.

I finished mine this week, too. Even included deoju's modification. And yeah, doing everything four times felt like a bit of a slog but once the base was done, I was able to get the entire statue done in a single night despite it being 3 of the 5 sets of bags' worth of work.

Still feel too burned out to start Corner Garage though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had a dream last night that Feenix’s cat knocked that entire modular display over and it exploded everywhere, and had to double check the thread to see if it actually happened or I dreamed it.

Welcome to my unemployed reality bending fever dream that is 2020!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

veni veni veni posted:

I had a dream last night that Feenix’s cat knocked that entire modular display over and it exploded everywhere, and had to double check the thread to see if it actually happened or I dreamed it.

Welcome to my unemployed reality bending fever dream that is 2020!

Was the dream that you saw it or did you dream read it on the forums? I hate when I'm reading SA in dreams, like there's got to be literally anything better my brain can come up with.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Nth Doctor posted:

I finished mine this week, too. Even included deoju's modification.
:):hf::)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Was the dream that you saw it or did you dream read it on the forums? I hate when I'm reading SA in dreams, like there's got to be literally anything better my brain can come up with.

I’m pretty sure I was actually there and I either was feenix or was hanging out in the room. It’s hazy lol.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I grabbed the Winter Village Fire Station today, as I figured it probably won't be around next year to buy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

I grabbed the Winter Village Fire Station today, as it was the only thing in stock.

FTFY.

Seriously though...a couple things have shown up in the last couple days and then sold out almost immediately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

FTFY.

Seriously though...a couple things have shown up in the last couple days and then sold out almost immediately.

I was at the Lego Shop in Leicester Square, lots of stuff was in stock!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel bad for/envy people who don't live near a Lego store. They almost never run out of anything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

I feel bad for/envy people who don't live near a Lego store. They almost never run out of anything.

I have 4 in the bay area. They are cleared out of everything. Their stock pretty much matches the online store.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If I had the UCS star destroyer I could post 4 scales of that... that's a compelling reason to buy it right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder if NCGardens is inspired by Namba Parks.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Waltzing Along posted:

I wonder if NCGardens is inspired by Namba Parks.

Have you seen anything more than the shadow outline?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scipiotik posted:

Have you seen anything more than the shadow outline?

No. Just conjecture. But if it is some sort of buildings with gardens on top, it would be similar to Namba Parks.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's basically a park on top of a mall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ePkRBzz2H4

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
drat, I wish I had know about this last year. We came by Namba Station several times.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lego must have just got an online resupply as my Razorcrest just got charged that I ordered during double points. Might want to keep an eye out if you were looking to actually buy something.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

davebo posted:

I actually have questions about the lights. I have the holiday train light kit which has a box to house three AA batteries, and I assume some tiny controlling board to make sure the white led's stay on and the colored ones blink over the usb connector that plugs into it. Is yours the same way for each modular set? Or since it's a city scene and not christmas-specific and there's nothing blinking, can you plug everything into one USB hub on AC power and run it that way? I have no idea if they just use the standard power of USB ports, or if they're using the USB port form factor just for convenience, and custom wiring each connector to supply power. Don't want to just plug mine into one and have it fry. The instructions I think did mention to give it no more than 5V, but I think most fast-charging usb adapters are 2.4, so I wonder if that's even sufficient.

You should read through this faq: https://support.lightmybricks.com/hc/en-us/articles/900004223043-FAQ

If you order from Aliexpress/China you're likely going to either get a Kylgaring set or Lightaling/Briksmax set.

Kylgaring is older style where all the LEDs are wired up in one octopus that funnels to a USB plug or two and the LEDs are already attached to fake lego bricks. It's literally tiny wires that are soldered with LEDs and resistors in-line hot glued to plastic. The blinking/color changing leds are actually done at the LED itself and there's no control board necessary.

Lightaling/Briksmax is basically lightmybricks and modular. You'll get a USB plug that wires into a splitter PCB and extension cables etc. You usually will have to use 3M adhesive and or put LEDs underneath transparent bits yourself. The blinking / color changing leds are also done at the LED level and not done via control board.

Both styles just run off 5V DC and you can either use a AA/AAA box to USB, some CR2032 solution, or a USB power brick like a mobile charger. As long as the port can put out 5V you should be okay regardless of amps, at least I haven't had any issues with it.

All of my lights are run off a mix of usb power chargers (a lot from ikea) and USB hubs and then connected to a power/surge strip connected to a smart plug.

I use a usb power bank to test while I'm building.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 4, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
So I these just popped up on a German retailer's website. Some yet-unannounced 2021 Technic sets: licensed Monster Jam pull-back motor trucks.

Now, personally, when I consider features I'd want in a small ($20 or less) Technic set, I'd be happier with suspension or steering instead of a pull-back motor. On the other hand, LEGO does inexpensive pull-back Technic models a lot and they're usually boring as hell, but these ones at least are not boring! So that's neat. Also, on MAX-D, unless they've introduced some variation of the Technic 1/2 pin that has friction, keeping those spikes aligned properly looks impossible. If they HAVE invented a half pin with friction, that would be amazing and welcome.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hopper posted:

drat, I wish I had know about this last year. We came by Namba Station several times.

It's not very exciting but I'll be honest I'm not a big garden guy. I've spent about a month in Osaka, there's a lot of cooler poo poo to see imho. If you're in the area though you may as well check it out. There's a pretty cool movie theater on one of the top floors. That's where I got my Lego Batman Movie mini posters a couple years ago.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, who wants to move to Billund? Lego are looking for new designers. Billund’s not all that, but nearby Vejle is very nice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just found this set back at my dad's, I knew I had it but forgot where till today.

The build with the jet is objectively the coolest.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Well, who wants to move to Billund? Lego are looking for new designers. Billund’s not all that, but nearby Vejle is very nice.
it is destroying my soul not to be able to apply

Also, streamin' tonight in about 3.5 hours. I think we're gonna finish our first model tonight!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Also, streamin' tonight in about 3.5 hours. I think we're gonna finish our first model tonight!

Why couldn't you apply?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Why couldn't you apply?
We aren't in a situation to move to Denmark for a variety of reasons. Moving cats overseas is extremely difficult, my partner's family and career are in this state, and Denmark has a tiny, tiny black population - firsthand accounts I've read from black expats in Denmark state that it's not necessarily a problem, but you are certainly viewed with great interest as an oddity, and Bun does not find that prospect terribly appealing. There's other smaller issues too, but those are the big ones.

But... I really wish I was in a position to pursue my life's dream. I've been kinda depressed about this for a while. I've worked hard to get to the point where I feel like I would be really successful at this and it's just impossibly out of reach.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would upend my entire life in a heartbeat to work as a Lego designer, but it seems like actually getting that job would be like winning the lottery. I always wondered how hard they stick to only hiring people with industrial/ toy design degrees. I'd imagine a good enough MOC portfolio might get someone in the door regardless, but there are just so many people that are so good at designing with Lego out there. it's something that I think I am good at, but there's so many others out there that are just absolute masters and they aren't working for Lego either :sigh:

I almost went to school for Industrial design too. Instead I ended up going for graphic design and I hated it and dropped out.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 4, 2020

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbohydrates posted:

We aren't in a situation to move to Denmark for a variety of reasons. Moving cats overseas is extremely difficult, my partner's family and career are in this state, and Denmark has a tiny, tiny black population - firsthand accounts I've read from black expats in Denmark state that it's not necessarily a problem, but you are certainly viewed with great interest as an oddity, and Bun does not find that prospect terribly appealing. There's other smaller issues too, but those are the big ones.

But... I really wish I was in a position to pursue my life's dream. I've been kinda depressed about this for a while. I've worked hard to get to the point where I feel like I would be really successful at this and it's just impossibly out of reach.

You could always apply for Mega. Not joking. They are US based though I'm not sure where.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Carbohydrates posted:

Advice from random goon -

Apply anyways.

They might turn you down.
They might want you.

Either way, you are not obliged to take the job. The regrets you feel are real things, and applying will get rid of the regrets by embracing your own agency.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

It’s not much, but my partner is black and when we visited Denmark he said he felt more comfortable there than he had anywhere else in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

You could always apply for Mega. Not joking. They are US based though I'm not sure where.

Mega is based out of Montreal