Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
it would be nice if we lived in a society where adults could be trusted to act professionally in their job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That works great until one person shits in the birdbath by using "but you didn't tell me not to say n- to literal children" as a defense to the time they did that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I think this is right for school boards; it's not correct at the university level but the kinds of useful and important conversations that come from discussing slurs or reading texts with them in it are not going to be a thing in high school. Excepting maybe Mark Twain, but you can swap that out for another reading.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The article kinda buries the lede because the school board statement covers much more than just racial slurs. "Pejorative terms used to describe disability attributes" in particular are kind of hard to avoid with a lot of classic literature. Hopefully it just means that teachers will read stuff out loud less though, and won't actually affect the books they choose for high school students. Though I guess book of negroes is out lol

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Philman posted:

Canada is pro skilled immigrant express entry visa. People seem to get that in half the time.

I just went thru the same process including the implied status problem. I have a few things i can add which might help you:
- We were able to get OHIP (ontario healthcare) by writing to the OHIP review board and then proving to them we had applied for the (spousal) OWP. we got that proof from IRCC using the online response form and forwarded the email to OHIP.
- If you had a work permit and you applied for a new work permit before the old one expired you are implied to have status. you can continue to work until a decision is made. you dont have to quit your job on the expiration date. If you went from study to work permit then i am not sure that is true.

I suspect that you can contact the drivers licensing authority by mail and get them to accept that someone who has implied status is allowed to apply for a drivers license (you'll need this because the people at the local office wont be able to do anything without a letter from head office).

If you keep your medical receipts you should be able to claim it after she finally gets PR.

I recommend going to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ and checking out a thread which is relevant to when you applied. some people keep spreadsheets in there and you can gauge how far along you should be relative to others. Currently IRCC is prioritizing inland spousal sponsorships so there may be hope. We expected the PR card to take 4 months to arrive after the Confirmation Of Permanent Residency letter finally arrived according to those boards but it only took 2 weeks.

canadavisa forums were essential, I wouldn't have been able to complete my application without them.

I also wouldn't have known that your PR fee receipt allows you to apply for BC MSP since the official application doesn't even have an option to submit that.

I'll have to resume the fight with ICBC someday, I've just been busy to keep escalating :sigh:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I'm not sure there's a great solution to this issue tbh. There's value in discussing this stuff once kids reach a certain age, but I also understand why people who are victimized by these slurs aren't in love with the idea of them being used in a classroom.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

I think this is right for school boards; it's not correct at the university level but the kinds of useful and important conversations that come from discussing slurs or reading texts with them in it are not going to be a thing in high school. Excepting maybe Mark Twain, but you can swap that out for another reading.

That's just it, yeah. At a university level everyone's an adult, and a scholarly approach to certain pieces of literature, or even pieces of language, can be approached a bit more head-on. Not straight-up saying that word out loud, that's still very not cool, but setting a reading list with books that contain those slurs is a surefire way to kickstart a conversation about shifts in language and culture, and encourage everyone to stop and look at just how much farther we have to go as a society.

A state-mandated, mass-produced minimum-standard-level education intended for the same children who've negated entire weeks of French language training with discussion about seals, will tend towards the bland and flavourless. Teachers also have the wink-stomp "I can't set Flowers for Algernon on your reading list because its ableist slurs are a problem, but the librarian isn't letting the school board take it away from HIM, and I'm in my office to talk about interpreting anything you've read" option, and I'd expect the ones who are more passionate about the art than the rules will find ways to encourage the students who want to learn.

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Dec 2, 2020

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I teach content that includes slurs. Its difficult to analyze modern media without doing so. I have a conversation with my students about what is appropriate to say, and that as a white person i will never repeat the words out loud.

when it gets to those words in readings, I go “umph “ in a way that sounds like I’m beeping the word.

Clumsy? but it gets the job done, let’s students know these are words you shouldn’t use and we get to analyze important modern and classic sources :).

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that seems like a good compromise

i'm glad to be proven wrong wrt my prior post

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

idly browsing for tar sands related t-shirts and this stupid cafepress shirt made me giggle with how impassive it is. (also gave me flashbacks -- a 90°C mix of bitumen, sand, water, and toluene tastes not as bad as you might expect but certainly not good and spurred me to keep a toothbrush and a change of clothes in my work vehicle)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuePonni1Ic

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ARACHTION posted:

I teach content that includes slurs. Its difficult to analyze modern media without doing so. I have a conversation with my students about what is appropriate to say, and that as a white person i will never repeat the words out loud.

when it gets to those words in readings, I go “umph “ in a way that sounds like I’m beeping the word.

Clumsy? but it gets the job done, let’s students know these are words you shouldn’t use and we get to analyze important modern and classic sources :).

I love this because it shows how easy it is to talk critically about offensive material without being offensive. Its not a hard thing to do.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
coworker went to a brew pub last night and today complained to the rest of us that the brew pub wasnt following regulations and requiring people to be masked when not seated. loving incredible. STAY HOME.

actual quote: "it's people like them that are going to get us shutdown again"

RealityWarCriminal has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Dec 3, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress is your coworker going to a brew pub in the first place?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone who eats in at a restaurant nowadays is just plain weird. I would feel wayyyy too uncomfortable to do that.

I get it to go and consume it in solitude, shamefully.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

priznat posted:

Anyone who eats in at a restaurant nowadays is just plain weird. I would feel wayyyy too uncomfortable to do that.

I get it to go and consume it in solitude, shamefully.

i don't like to bother with takeout, i prefer to eat in place when there isn't a pandemic, so we haven't really eaten something i haven't cooked since march. but yeah, like i don't get how people are so comfortable eating in a restaurant these days. i'm not bothering until i get a vaccine tbqh.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
pretty cool to wake up to an email from the CRA about how they can't determine if i'm eligible for the CERB i recieved even though i am and demanding repayment by december 20th with no information about what to do about this

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martian Manfucker posted:

pretty cool to wake up to an email from the CRA about how they can't determine if i'm eligible for the CERB i recieved even though i am and demanding repayment by december 20th with no information about what to do about this

merry christmas. if they did that to me I'd flee into the woods, already got bag packed. i'm not going to corona jail

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rutibex posted:

merry christmas. if they did that to me I'd flee into the woods, already got bag packed. i'm not going to corona jail

lol you’re not gonna go to jail for that. certainly not anytime soon at least

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

lol you’re not gonna go to jail for that. certainly not anytime soon at least

You go to jail when you don't pay them, and I can't pay them. People without money don't get justice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rutibex posted:

You go to jail when you don't pay them, and I can't pay them. People without money don't get justice.

you have to really not pay them though, they go to great pains to set up repayment plans, even ones that barely even touch the usurious interest they charge on the balance

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

you have to really not pay them though, they go to great pains to set up repayment plans, even ones that barely even touch the usurious interest they charge on the balance

exactly, i’m not saying you can avoid it forever but you are definitely not going to jail anytime soon over this even in an absolute worst case scenario

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yeah i'm not going to be a live long indentured servant to the CRA either. they can add it to my student loans. hello yukon!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Martian Manfucker posted:

give them a call and ask what you can do to resolve this

in my experience cra are almost always helpful when i've called them or vice versa

hopefully phone queues aren't so crazy long now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
definitely don't wait until the new year because it's essentially impossible to get through to anyone from january to may, even when there isn't a plague on

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

When the bank messed up my tax payment they sent me a letter 1.5 years later. I don't think CRA uses email to notify people, it might be a scam.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

When the bank messed up my tax payment they sent me a letter 1.5 years later. I don't think CRA uses email to notify people, it might be a scam.

they deal with me by email but I have my account set up with them online. double check for sure to make sure it’s legit. might be able to clear the error st the same time if it is legit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they use email to notify you that you have a message waiting in your cra account, assuming you have one of those and you've configured your preferences for this. they don't actually send you the notices, you have to log in to the cra account to check them

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah the CRA will only send an email saying you have a message in your CRA account, if it doesn't read like

quote:

Dear Rutibex:

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) sent you new mail online called:

Give us our money back

This mail may require your attention.

If you have My Account, log in and click on "Mail" to read your mail.

If you signed up to receive mail online but don't have My Account, go to the CRA web page to register.

This is an automated email message. Please do not reply.

then it's not actually from them.

edit:beaten

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fwiw I've been in the Canadian legal business for ~15 years and read dozens of new judgments on a daily basis, and tax cases are especially important to me, and I think I've only seen one case in all that time where someone went to jail for not paying their taxes. It's a hard thing to do.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
They're probably just doing a blitz to look for actual scammers, some people on reddit were getting the same messages. Here's someone with similar issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/k5sd8l/my_wife_received_a_weird_email_from_cra/

this does emphasize how bullshit it is that there is a MINIMUM though, the op on reddit got pinged because their 2020 income wasn't factored in yet. means tested garbage.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rutibex posted:

This isn't America, it's much harder to go to jail for tax fraud here.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
yeah sorry it was email notification of a new mail in my CRA My Account thing, it's legit. i'm super stressed about this now because i have no way to repay the CERB i recieved since there's still no loving work after getting laid off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

try not to stress out too much and just call their general inquiries line when you have some time, if they haven't given you a specific contact number. they tend to be very accommodating and even if you do wind up having to repay it, they will work with you to make a payment plan. it's not fun, but it's not the end of the world either

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

try not to stress out too much and just call their general inquiries line when you have some time, if they haven't given you a specific contact number. they tend to be very accommodating and even if you do wind up having to repay it, they will work with you to make a payment plan. it's not fun, but it's not the end of the world either

Yeah and honestly tons of people in situations like OPs are just going to have their CERB debt forgiven in 6 months in my opinion. They'll make examples of a few people who really abuse it and quietly forgive the rest.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you should not have to pay it back. the government does something good for struggling canadians, for the first time in decades, during a pandemic and economic recession, and now they want to claw it back. gently caress em. it had better be forgiven.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Reality Protester posted:

you should not have to pay it back. the government does something good for struggling canadians, for the first time in decades, during a pandemic and economic recession, and now they want to claw it back. gently caress em. it had better be forgiven.

You'd think that but it's a Liberal government sooooooo.....

If it were the cons they would have just said 'gently caress YOU' and let everyone lose their homes and starve last spring.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Starks posted:

This isn't America, it's much harder to go to jail for tax fraud here.

Yeah imagine living in a country that ends up spending more money to punish people (by virtue of paying for a citizen to be in jail) than it would be to forgive the tax fraud lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

EvilJoven posted:

You'd think that but it's a Liberal government sooooooo.....

If it were the cons they would have just said 'gently caress YOU' and let everyone lose their homes and starve last spring.

https://twitter.com/cmaconthehill/status/1334168925806931972

If the Conservatives were in power we wouldn't even be getting a vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

Yeah imagine living in a country that ends up spending more money to punish people (by virtue of paying for a citizen to be in jail) than it would be to forgive the tax fraud lol

That's never stopped basically every administration in our lifetimes from spending more on punishment than preventative social services before.