Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spotted on social media:

I thought it might have been an 'Obvious Plant'-style fake product but it looks like it's real.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've literally never known someone prior to this year who was a straightforward right wing American who distrusted vaccines. They've all been either in the left wing or some weird combination that's hard to categorize (Supported Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders types). Same with the "OMG FRANKENFOOD" folks. Honestly, most people think they are "pro science" but very willing to disregard things they don't like.

Reminder that Trump has been an anti-vaxxer for a long long time:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/449525268529815552?lang=en

........ and tens of millions of Americans are taking cues from him in regards to pandemic responses. He was also a massive factor in the anti-mask anti-lockdown movements.
Conspiracy theorists lean towards anti-vaxx pretty heavily just as a matter of course and there's a lot of them on both sides of the political divide but QAnon has been super popular recently and many of those people also seem to have bought into 5G/vaccine microchips.

naem posted:

labor laws are usually enforced with fines and legal fees etc, some companies just factor that into their budget (Walmart)

Opioid manufacturers also tried to calculate the potential occurrence of "events" such as overdoses or addictions and offer "rebates" to their client companies to offset their losses. Can't make an omelet without crackin' a few eggs! :capitalism:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/business/mckinsey-purdue-oxycontin-opioids.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Sooo what's actually stopping them from firing all the pregnant/gay/black/disabled employees and just going 'durhur at-will'?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Because most lawyers and judges are not morons. It's pretty hard to go "it's just a coincidence!!!" when you've just fired all your black employees.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Astrofig posted:

Sooo what's actually stopping them from firing all the pregnant/gay/black/disabled employees and just going 'durhur at-will'?

It costs money to hire new people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Let's check in on Turkey again and see how things shook out after their bump:

Mithaldu posted:

Let's hope it's a china situation where there's a big bump up for a little while due to backdating, and then it settles down again.

Yeah it's not looking like it

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/turkey/

Their covid deaths had been surging for months and finally overtook the first wave a few weeks back even though their reported cases had pretty much plateaued since May, I guess they finally ran out of excuses

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Welp, unsubscribed. It's not much, but apparently all 'influencers' really care about is numbers. :(

Dammit I liked him.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

xtal posted:

Or you use the vaccine early and in 5 years end up with a Children of Men infertile future, hence the dilemma.

I'm not seeing the downside? :confused: :pervert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atopian posted:

Mithaldu has said it better, but yeah.
I'm not coming at this from a position of mistrust or ignorance of science - I was chief editor of a microbiology journal and a virology journal with impact factors for several years.

I am aware that the base chance of serious adverse effects from vaccines is low, but I am also aware of how compressed the current development schedules are.
I don't argue that such haste is inappropriate, and I don't argue that the risk assessment strongly favours immediate vaccination for front line medical staff.

But since I'm not one of those, I'm going to wait ~6 months after widespread availability if possible before getting vaccinated myself to see what happens.

Obviously people will have to make their own judgement on this based on their assessment of their overall personal risk.

This is probably a moot point for me because I'm a healthy (well, 'healthy') non-essential adult so I probably wouldn't be able to get a vaccine in the first six months even if I wanted to.

https://www.newsday.com/business/coronavirus/vaccine-covid-19-cdc-ny-priority-sequence-meeting-1.50078513

quote:

Phase 1:
Health care workers providing patient care, with priority given to those in intensive care units, emergency units and those providing emergency medical services.
Long-term care facility workers who interact with residents.
At-risk long-term care facility patients.

Phase 2:
Police, fire and National Guard first responders.
Teachers, school staff and child care providers.
Public health workers.
Workers who interact with the public and maintain critical infrastructure, including pharmacists, grocery store workers, transit employees.
Other long-term care facility patients and those living in other congregate settings deemed to be at high risk.
People in the general population with comorbidities and health conditions that put them at particularly high risk.

Phase 3:
People over 65.
People under 65 with comorbidities and health conditions.

Phase 4:
All other essential workers.

Phase 5:
Healthy adults and children.
Edit: to clarify further, I'm in Australia and they're not rushing out emergency approval for vaccines here. The head of our Therapeutic Goods Administration actually said that they're going to wait and see how the UK fares with their emergency vaccine rollout over the next few months and that'll inform the decisions we make in Australia.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-03/covid-vaccine-australia-uk-when-get-it/12946148

Of course that's assuming that the vaccines aren't stolen by 'bad hombres' before they even get to me
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1334183251733327874

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 3, 2020

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Hahaha liquid gold. That's underselling how valuable this stuff will be on the black market.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Oops, my vaccine dealer cut their supply so now I am only immune against baking powder :(

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Facebook Aunt posted:

Welp, unsubscribed. It's not much, but apparently all 'influencers' really care about is numbers. :(

I don't get why people are surprised. Surely he's extremely obviously a huge piece of poo poo at first glance? Is his persona on his youtube channel like night and day from what's on display here?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 3, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol there’s gonna be a ton of fake vaccines produced in god knows where that are just water in a vaccine-looking bottle and unsuspecting poor people are going to buy them

We live in hell

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LA has gone into shelter-in-place lockdown

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1334350629720875009

E: okay there's a TON of exemptions on this, it's pretty useless
https://www.lamayor.org/sites/g/files/wph446/f/page/file/20201202%20Mayor%20Public%20Order%20Targeted%20SAH%20Order_1.pdf

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 3, 2020

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol there’s gonna be a ton of fake vaccines produced in god knows where that are just water in a vaccine-looking bottle and unsuspecting poor people are going to buy them

We live in hell

The current (soon to be former) President of the United States is absolutely going to slap his name on a "Nutritional Supplement" that "kills all viruses, including the china flu". Prepare yourself for a bunch of morons getting kidney failure from TRUMPLEMENTS.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
drat now I wanna preemptively patent that name just to piss him off.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
:newlol:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jabor posted:

Even with at-will employment, you're still not allowed to fire someone for an illegal reason. And yet a lot of employers do.

(Yes, it's difficult to prove that they fired you for an illegal reason instead of for the totally legal "no reason at all" - unless they explicitly tell you it was for an illegal reason)

At will was created so that you can shrink your workforce whenever necessary without a reason. It's when employers give a reason because they feel justified in their horrible opinions that they get in trouble. Example: your bigoted rear end can fire gays as much as you want. The instant you say you are firing people because they are gay you're breaking the law.

The amount of employers who still self-own themselves because they need to get in a sick burn is hilarious.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Congratulations on reaching one 9/11 a day! :patriot:

xtal posted:

Or you use the vaccine early and in 5 years end up with a Children of Men infertile future, hence the dilemma.

What's the dilemma? It might literally save the planet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like we're back to 9/11 a day: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55170329 :toot:

In my local news, they lifted a ton of restrictions today. Gyms, swimming pools, retail, everything is open again. Masks are required but I don't see this being enough when everyone crams into pubs and restaurants again. Really dumb IMO when it could've been suppressed further to let everyone actually enjoy Christmas, but instead I suspect the numbers would be back to scary heights by then.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So one of the vaccines is going before the FDA next week, the 10th.

....what are they doing until then? Are they prepping things or is the FDA going over the data right now?

Seems odd to wait so long with 3000 people dying a day.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Highest single day deaths for the US yesterday. Probably caused by catch up from the holiday, but we might see over 3k soon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

Highest single day deaths for the US yesterday. Probably caused by catch up from the holiday, but we might see over 3k soon.

It doesn't even look like a crazy spike, it's just a smooth continuation of the weekly increases that were already happening

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Let's check in on Turkey again and see how things shook out after their bump:

Yeah it's not looking like it

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/turkey/

Their covid deaths had been surging for months and finally overtook the first wave a few weeks back even though their reported cases had pretty much plateaued since May, I guess they finally ran out of excuses

:aaaaa:

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Sorry this is late but for the dude who is considering putting a hold on PT, as someone in that field it depends on your diagnosis. In the first wave we had anyone that wouldn't experience severe decline just stay home, and the same applies now.

If you're not in an initial passive phase post surgery or a neurological patient you'll most likely be fine not coming in, especially considering it sounds like you have a pretty bad clinician working with you if sessions aren't being advanced every time.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

I lost my grandfather to covid today. He was 75. Diagnosed last Wednesday. He mostly fine until this morning when he was taken to the ICU and put on a respirator. He died 12 hours later.

He was in a nursing home. Covid ravaged the whole place over the past few weeks. Probably due to some underpaid employee being lax with their pandemic protocols outside of work.

Wear a goddamn mask.

Dang and my condolences, fellow goon. One thing I try to get across to people is what if an emergency happens where you have to help parents or grandparents? All of a sudden you have to start weighing all your choices against helping a family member in need. Be smart and be safe everybody.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Welp, my household has it now. Thus far nobody's experiencing any symptoms but it sure sucks to know that we're compromised.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Astrofig posted:

They usually do it during layoffs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Welp, my household has it now. Thus far nobody's experiencing any symptoms but it sure sucks to know that we're compromised.

On the plus side (?) you don't have to worry about getting it between now and when the vaccine becomes available anymore

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
The Epicenter - a very well-written piece in the NY Times about part of the March outbreak in NYC.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Check, please!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it crazy to hope that this will be pretty much over by next summer? That would be nice, I think it would be a fun one

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i'm bored of covid, bring on the next pandemic already

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is it crazy to hope that this will be pretty much over by next summer? That would be nice, I think it would be a fun one

it'll be over in every sane polity and they'll be diggin those mass graves in the insane ones

uhh, bad news wrt which column the usa is

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

hope, no. believe?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I rate Trump's covid response a solid 9/11

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

sweet thursday posted:

Check, please!

Jesus christ.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

I rate Trump's covid response a solid 9/11

Trump rates it a 9/11 but I rate it a 4/19.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a handy tool for calculating where you stand in the line for a vaccine (if you're in the US) and how many hundreds of millions of people are ahead of you: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

I'm in Australia where we've officially adopted a vaccine rollout plan of "Wait and see how the countries that are rushing into it go before we start vaccinating our own people" and even then I'll probably be almost last on the list

E:
https://twitter.com/roto_tudor/status/1334534101265682434

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 4, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Ignoring that a lot of people won't trust the vaccine, assuming regular uptake of the vaccine, everybody in America will probably have gotten it by late August 2021

I don't think it's realistic to assume that medical first responders will all have immunity before March 15

You need 70% to reach herd immunity, although with an actual federal response and increasing number of vaccinated persons, there's a good chance that contact tracing will actually work by March and going to restaurants might not be a death wish any longer

Talked to my friend in Texas, apparently they still allow indoor seating at restaurants? Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

"Apple making a killing" suddenly sounds a lot darker.