Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh my god making fun of the Leon thing :golfclap:

Amazing edits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

You beautiful bastard :syoon:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok ok... that was a loving greaf twist. Im surprised my random accusation of Tsumigi was correct, but Im not going to count it since it was totally random and not in any way backed up with decent ideas.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Skeleton Mom posted:

honestly the biggest reveal of this update is that people actually read my posts.

I never have and never will. :colbert:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Reveilled posted:

I also particularly love this because it's written like it's addressing the kids but it's really addressing the player at almost the exact moment they start wondering why Tsumugi wouldn't be cosplaying characters from the other 50 seasons for the in-game audience.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of an ingrate, and I wanted her to turn into one completely ridulous character we'd never seen while saying that.

But yes, I lost my mind when I figured out it was 53.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

A lot of people say that Tsumugi's 100% accurate cosplays make the Ultimate Imposter's talent seem comparatively unimpressive, but I think it's the exact opposite. His impersonations don't seem accurate, yet he somehow still makes people unquestioningly believe that he is the person he's impersonating.

Most people who played the second game (or read the LP) actually thought he really was Byakuya until told otherwise, even though he looked, sounded and acted almost nothing like him. To me, that's far more impressive than what Tsumugi does.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

...! posted:

A lot of people say that Tsumugi's 100% accurate cosplays make the Ultimate Imposter's talent seem comparatively unimpressive, but I think it's the exact opposite. His impersonations don't seem accurate, yet he somehow still makes people unquestioningly believe that he is the person he's impersonating.

Most people who played the second game (or read the LP) actually thought he really was Byakuya until told otherwise, even though he looked, sounded and acted almost nothing like him. To me, that's far more impressive than what Tsumugi does.

Yeah, the Ultimate Imposter makes you believe that whoever they're pretending to be is in fact now exceptionally overweight and slightly changed in personality. He's not cosplaying a character, he's impersonating someone so good others believe the impersonation to be true.

He also impersonates skills to an extent, based on the way he can sword fight in the anime when impersonating punished Yu Narukami.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's interesting when you look back and see how many voice actors from the previous games had roles in this one... even if it was monokubs, for example. Strange how they might need to have so many on hand when there's only a flat number of characters....

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

...! posted:

I never really thought about it, but it does seem crazy that I thought he was Byakuya, yeah.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

curiousCat posted:

It's interesting when you look back and see how many voice actors from the previous games had roles in this one... even if it was monokubs, for example. Strange how they might need to have so many on hand when there's only a flat number of characters....

The Japanese version actually brought back every single one of the voice actors from the previous games for this bit, most of whom had not been reused in later games. The dub didn't need to go to so much effort because they were all voiced by the same lot anyway.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Agree on the amazing edit. I was wondering if you'd do something like that.

On my playthrough, I had gotten spoiled on the mastermind's identity but none of this fourth-wall stuff. I was really worried that the finale would become boring, since I knew "the big twist". Fortunately, it didn't live up to those expectations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This part is, incidentally, the one genuinely good use of Hangman's Gambit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only part that bugged me about this twist/this whole part of the game was that this was my first DR and I had read somewhere that this one would take place in a new universe*/not require any knowledge of previous games; so when things got meta and started overtly talking about the franchise as a whole, I knew there were references/jokes that I wasn't getting. That said, it's still a great ride.

*in a way, I guess that's not inaccurate, since this takes place in a universe where the previous games are fiction.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Sailor Dave posted:

One of my current hypotheses is that somehow this is all boring-Makoto's idea, all the Dangitronald games a fiction that he came up with and other people are making a reality for some reason. I don't really know how to explain everything that's going on like the school and the crazy technology but he's got to be involved somehow, I don't see why else they would just drop in someone using Naegi's name like that.

Well, I was half right.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sailor Dave posted:

Well, I was half right.

Turns out kid Makoto is just this universe's version of all the kids who are named Khaleesi in ours.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

curiousCat posted:

This is why I went to the trouble of introducing the voice actors during the prologue. All of the English VAs except for Maki's reprised a role from a previous game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Haha those edits were genius, Solitair. Haven't laughed this much in a while.

Some commentary on the update itself:

- So, anime isn't real? :smith:

- im the audience member in the background who went "well, ACTUALLY it's the 54th"

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

- im the audience member in the background who went "well, ACTUALLY it's the 54th"

In all this time they never tried to make a spinoff game again. That's the legacy of Ultra Despair Girls.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, the Ultimate Imposter makes you believe that whoever they're pretending to be is in fact now exceptionally overweight and slightly changed in personality. He's not cosplaying a character, he's impersonating someone so good others believe the impersonation to be true.

He also impersonates skills to an extent, based on the way he can sword fight in the anime when impersonating punished Yu Narukami.

It's a shame we never see him and the person he's impersonating in front of a group of people who are confused as to which one is real.

Solitair posted:

In all this time they never tried to make a spinoff game again. That's the legacy of Ultra Despair Girls.

Maybe UDG was just a promo piece for DR2 (or DR3) in-universe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Carbon dioxide posted:

- So, anime isn't real? :smith:

Anime is real  :shittydog:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's a shame we never see him and the person he's impersonating in front of a group of people who are confused as to which one is real.

We get extremely close in DR3 (the anime one), where people see Mitarai and Imposter-Mitarai within ten minutes of each other and go "wow was he that fat last time I saw him?" which, again, that's pretty impressive on his part.

As for the spinoffs, they clearly don't count in the numbering scheme, since the advertised Sakura vs Monokuma beat-em-up from (iirc) DR2 obviously got released :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Another thing that blew my mind was when I realized that Monokuma's apparent fourth wall breaks during the "Monokuma Theater" and "Monokuma and Kubs Theater" are actually skits/segments that occur before and after the show's commercial breaks. He's speaking to the show's audience, not the game's player. Monokuma never breaks the game's fourth wall. Not once. :aaa:

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Speaking of which...

Solitair posted:

Chapter 1, Part 5: The Words That Maketh Murder

When a series lasts for several seasons, eventually it'll run out of material. My memory has been awful lately. I wonder if it's cuz of how long the series has been going. Wait...what season are we on again? What material have we shown so far? Geez, I don't remember. Maybe it's cuz they've released so many at this point. Oh well! Anyway, we need new material for the Monokuma Theater! Please send your manuscripts, along with a 1,000 dollar application fee! If your entry is selected, you will receive a 100 dollar gift card! What a generous prize! Don't miss this opportunity! Send your applications today!

I don't know why you guys are so surprised by this twist. Monokuma told us about it way back in chapter one.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 3, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

NeverHelm posted:

Speaking of which...
I don't know why you guys are so surprised by this twist. Monokuma told us about it way back in chapter one.

Yeah, having played through the game, reading the Monokuma Theater segments while following this LP had me cracking up because they're all like that. Holy poo poo do those segments come across differently when you actually know the full context. :allears:

They're one of those things that are specifically intended to blow your mind in retrospect and man does it work.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What the almighty gently caress this is amazing

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

BlazeEmblem posted:

:allears: Back when I first got to this scene, I thought that it would be awesome if the LPer did something like this. You've realized the dream, Solitar.

Yes, and I am happy to see myself included. :allears:

Fedule posted:

In an entire back to back two hours of maniacal grinning,

this was the only point at which I had to actually stop for a few minutes to calm myself down.

I actually missed this the first time I played, then again when reading this LP, then when you pointed it out I just stared at it confused for like 20 seconds before going "HOLY poo poo!"

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

On the subject of foreshadowing, it seems Tsumugi let the mask slip a bit every now and then...

Solitair posted:

Prologue Part 2: Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself

If you have the time, try looking through the thread after the LP ends and see if you can spot them all!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NeverHelm posted:

On the subject of foreshadowing, it seems Tsumugi let the mask slip a bit every now and then...

She was absolutely doing it on purpose. :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo I did not notice that at all :stare:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Once Tsumugi started cosplaying Junko I felt confident that this game took place in a world where the first two games were, well, games, but I certainly didn't guess that the whole world was in on it. What a wild ride. Can't wait to see how this all plays out, and what it means for our survivors. Will the killing games continue, or can they force a cancellation?

It's pretty interesting to re-read the first update in light of these revelations. I'm sure we'll be revisiting that soon.

Echoing the appreciation for the great edits!

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 4, 2020

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Solitair posted:

This is why I went to the trouble of introducing the voice actors during the prologue. All of the English VAs except for Maki's reprised a role from a previous game.

Actually, if you count UDG, Maki's VA voiced Nagisa in that game :eng101:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Another minor thing is Tsumugi's 'bond' with Gonta that ended up ultimately being nothing important. She just pretended to care to add some flavour to her intentionally 'plain' character.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Does this also apply to the Monokubs? I remember Sean Chiplock was Ishimaru in DR1 and Monotaro (red kub) here, but not the others. Or anyone else really, so perhaps I’ll just review the updates.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AweStriker posted:

Does this also apply to the Monokubs? I remember Sean Chiplock was Ishimaru in DR1 and Monotaro (red kub) here, but not the others. Or anyone else really, so perhaps I’ll just review the updates.

Patrick Seitz was Nekomaru and Monokid. Jason Wishnov is Byakuya, Ultimate Imposter and Monodam. Natalie Hoover is Sonia and Monphanie. And Monosuke just shares his VA with Monokuma.

To make it easier, here's a full reprisal of the main kids too:

Kaede: Kyoko
Angie: Hina
Gonta: Hiro and Koichi (from DR3)
Himiko: Chiaki
Keebo: Hifumi
Kaito: Kazuichi
Kirumi: Hiyoko
Kokichi: Fuyuhiko
Kiyo: Teruteru
Miu: Akane
Rantaro: Hajime and Izuru
Ryoma: Gundham
Shuichi: Leon
Tenko: Ibuki
Tsumugi: Sayaka and Chihiro

To e the biggest departure is probably Hiyoko to Kirumi; Kira Buckland's range is really impressive. Everyone else not listed is either a Monokub or they brought them back just for the cameo.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 4, 2020

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ApplesandOranges posted:

Patrick Seitz was Nekomaru and Monokid. Jason Wishnov is Byakuya, Ultimate Imposter and Monodam. Natalie Hoover is Sonia and Monphanie. And Monosuke just shares his VA with Monokuma.

Is it too late to point out how absolutely loving criminal it is that no one noticed Monosuke's defining accessory is a monocle

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Antistar01 posted:

I said earlier that in a meta sense I'd kind of expected Kiyo to turn out to be a culprit at some point due to that reveal being an ideal time to show what's behind the mask, since that's when these games usually bust out some new character sprites.

I've been getting the same feeling about Tsumugi for a while now, for the same reason. Especially considering how much the game plays up her supposed "plain" nature - combined with her being the ultimate cosplayer. It feels like they're building up to some ~*~costume changes~*~.

I guess they could also bring back the weird "allergic reaction to cosplaying as a real person" thing that was seeded earlier. If we see "Miu" out and about with a suspicious full-body rash... look out. :v:

Hey, my meta-based guess (back in May, drat) turned out to be right!

I was not expecting it to be right in such a meta way, though. :psyduck:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
This is easily my favorite bit of foreshadowing in the whole game:

Solitair posted:

[...]

[...]

The newer files have photographs, but the older ones have illustrations?

But why? Are the old ones just fictional?

It's really just slapping it in your face the whole time and I love it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Captain Walker posted:

Is it too late to point out how absolutely loving criminal it is that no one noticed Monosuke's defining accessory is a monocle

And this may actually be intentional because one of the names for monacle in Japanese is モノクル (monokuru) from English.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Zyxyz posted:

Actually, if you count UDG, Maki's VA voiced Nagisa in that game :eng101:

Nagisa does not show up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!