Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah it's 10 + a nob which is really annoying because now I have 70 boyz and 7 nobs.
enough about the tendencies of our rulers

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mediaphage posted:

meanwhile americans think almost any british accent (south african, australian, welsh, it’s all british) makes you smarter. the idea that there regional accents within britain barely even registers.

Either smarter or totally incomprehensible in my experience.

Though my pointing my American friends at Rab C Nesbitt was possibly being a touch unfair.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

feedmegin posted:

Rab C Nesbitt was possibly being a touch unfair.

we did a scotch tasting a few years ago with my mil and her husband and saw the angels’ share beforehand. he was really struggling without subtitles before we got too far in lol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My current project is Grigori Whitehammer, a dwarven oath of vengeance paladin. His backstory is that his mining village was bought out by capitalists, and a ton of his coworkers were killed in the attempted revolution. So his oath of vengeance is specifically against capitalists.

Full on, David Harbour in Black Widow soviet accent, quotes from the communist manifesto, has a warhammer with a bust of Marx & Engels on either end, and a sickle in the off-hand.

I have definitely seen the value of accents since getting into Critical Role, but IMHO dwarves should be Russian, elves should be irish, and halflings welsh. Humans British, tieflings southern drawl and dragonborn German.

Ah the High Born Noble Elves of D4/the Southside.

The mysterious and wise Wood Elves of the Midlands, casting spells in Navan accents.

The dangerous knife wielding Elf assassins of Limerick Cita'.

The Sea Elves of Kerry, giving out about how their Dolphin's have been nerfed.

I can't decide if the Dark Elves should be from Belfast or the People's Republic of Cork.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't see any reference to a Jewish puppetmaster? It's loving terrible anyway, what is even meant to be the thematic link between Keith and foxes?

"Better check with the NEC whether foxes are kosher" is the line being referred to

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

I can't decide if the Dark Elves should be from Belfast or the People's Republic of Cork.
Lord Kilclooney has opinions about them.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

The Question IRL posted:

Ah the High Born Noble Elves of D4/the Southside.

The mysterious and wise Wood Elves of the Midlands, casting spells in Navan accents.

The dangerous knife wielding Elf assassins of Limerick Cita'.

The Sea Elves of Kerry, giving out about how their Dolphin's have been nerfed.

Dark Elves would be Bostonians, just claiming to be Irish still.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Having lived in both, the more sadist and chaotic of the two is definitely Cork.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

Having lived in both, the more sadist and chaotic of the two is definitely Cork.

Makes sense. The Witch King Malekith Collins.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Good lord I just got a full 3 minute youtube ad for this sack of poo poo

https://brianformayor.london/#meet-brian

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Either smarter or totally incomprehensible in my experience.

Though my pointing my American friends at Rab C Nesbitt was possibly being a touch unfair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparrows_Can%27t_Sing

quote:

The dialogue is a mixture of Cockney rhyming slang, London Yiddish, and thieves' cant. The New York Times said in its review: "this isn't a picture for anyone with a logical mind or an ear for language. The gabble of cockney spoken here is as incomprehensible as the reasoning of those who speak it."[6] It was also the first English language film to be released in the United States with subtitles.[7]

:crying pie and mash emoji:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

"Better check with the NEC whether foxes are kosher" is the line being referred to

I really don't want to defend this poo poo, but that's a pretty massive stretch. It's a joke about the NEC legislating on anti-semitic stuff. It's not a nod to Jewish puppetmasters.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Nothingtoseehere posted:

That was supposed to be positive! Getting kids to read the classics is always good, especially if there's low literacy rates - that old mantra about how reading more is the biggest indicator of success reguardless of background.

Apologies! I read your post as sarcasm, as that seems to be the default reaction to most things on the internet :frogdunce:

But yeah the kids seem excited about reading and the library has mentioned that more books were taken out while the club was active. So all good!

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Naomi Wimborne Idrissi (Chair of Jewish Voice for Labour) has been suspended for anti-semitism.
Also
Moshe Machover has been suspended (and possibly expelled) again also for anti-semitism.

I think I liked it better when the left were being kicked out for being "trots". Inaccurate and as spine-breaking the mental gymnastics that was required by the Labour right to use that term describe their enemies: it was at least clear about what the party disliked about you and why. Instead they've turned a legitimate term to describe a real type of racism into a handy smear, to discredit all foes. It's all so sickening and and manages to be both pointedly self-righteous and transparently self-serving at the same time. It is all so hateful.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: Solidarity Fund Monthly Update :siren: has been posted on page 1 of this thread - quoting here for your convenience:

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st 3rd December 2020 :siren:

Thanks to generous goons for ensuring we ran a surplus this month!

A few points of fund-related news:

1) Due to Paypal rules on donations requiring us to provide a company registration number, we've been looking into the possibility of registering the Fund as a community interest company (CIC). However, on closer examination, this seems unsuitable for us; switching to a CIC model would require us to register a new company, do some legal legwork to combine it with the Fund as it currently exists, and appoint one or more directors who would have complete legal control of the fund; they are designed to be run as businesses, albeit with the proceeds going to benefit the community.

Instead we're going to press ahead with the alternative which is to register with the Charities Commission, which will give us a charity number to provide to Paypal and hopefully keep them off our (treasurer's) back.

2) In order to make any changes to make the operation of the Fund, or to update the Constitution to something the Charities Commission will be likely to approve, we need to resolve a longstanding issue with said Constitution - namely the bar to passing votes, which currently requires a two thirds or simple majority of the entire membership (not just those members who participate in the vote) - a functionally impossible bar to clear, considering the membership requirement is "be a goon who reads the UKMT". Whoops, my bad. We've figured out how to fix this, though, and I'll be laying the details out in a later post.

3) Next month will be election time for the Solidarity Fund committee! The election will be announced in the thread at the start of January. There will be a one-week period for nominations and then a week of voting (unless there were 5 or fewer nominations - full details are in the Constitution, part 2 section 6). So keep an eye out for that.

November Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCBristol/status/1334481942721552387

e: Oops, didn't realise there were multiple casualties so my original comment is a bit inappropriate.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/Tpopularfront/status/1334117842233532417?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
TIL that Americans can't send money directly bank to bank without paying fees for wire transfer and often still pay rent by literally handing the landlord a cheque. Wow. How is this this most powerful country on the planet again? You'd think the US would if nothing else have perfected the easy movement of capital.

Honestly though how long does the US survive as global hegemon? Everything about it screams 'dying, fractured empire held together purely by military and paramilitary force'

In other news I just downloaded Just Cause 4 because it's on ps plus and my word it's a fun game but it's essentially a CIA intervention simulator if one of the big bad agents was an indestructible superhero.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Looks back 80 years at the British Empire.

They don't.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the US has bank fees for all sorts of stuff as a kind of conscious industrial policy - it is intended to subsidize their numerous small local banks and credit unions, many of which would not exist if not for retail fees

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
"That doesn't surprise me at all, because we're a much better country than every single one of them." :britain:

quote:

UK first European country to pass 60,000 deaths

The UK has become the first country in Europe to pass 60,000 coronavirus deaths, according to the latest government figures
A total of 60,113 people have died within 28 days of a positive Covid test, up 414 in the past 24 hours.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

TIL that Americans can't send money directly bank to bank without paying fees for wire transfer and often still pay rent by literally handing the landlord a cheque. Wow. How is this this most powerful country on the planet again? You'd think the US would if nothing else have perfected the easy movement of capital.

Honestly though how long does the US survive as global hegemon? Everything about it screams 'dying, fractured empire held together purely by military and paramilitary force'

In other news I just downloaded Just Cause 4 because it's on ps plus and my word it's a fun game but it's essentially a CIA intervention simulator if one of the big bad agents was an indestructible superhero.

I've had old jobs that involved making payments all over the world. Dealing with anything to do with the US on payments was a nightmare.

You can send money anywhere in the world using two numbers that will be printed on every invoice. Then you get to the American suppliers who were all like "bank details?! I guess we have them somewhere. Can't you just send us a cheque?? Everyone else pays us by cheque"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

TIL that Americans can't send money directly bank to bank without paying fees for wire transfer and often still pay rent by literally handing the landlord a cheque.

You get paid with them too. Every 2 weeks I got given an envelope with a piece of paper in it that I spent my lunchtime walking over to the credit union. Least I could stop by Wendys on the way back.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ThomasPaine posted:

Just Cause 2 leaned really hard into this for laughs, but it did feel like half the writing team wasn't in on the joke.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

When they were deliberately breaking the US Post Office in the run-up to the election, I saw someone saying they were worried because they'd posted their rent check (sic) to their landlord in another state, and might get in trouble if it was late. I thought it was a joke, but then it wasn't.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

It's the first-mover problem - America had at one point the most amazing cutting-edge payment and remittance system in the world, which is why American Express* and Western Union** are still pretty big players in that market, and likewise working-class Americans had bank accounts *long* before most of the rest of the world for various reasons, but because those 19th-century solutions are just about good enough and, crucially, let banks dip their beaks in all of this and provide quite a lot of cover for various lovely practices there's no real impetus to change. Even the 21st-century solutions to this like Paypal et. al. are fragmented and as such less useful than a cheque, so still don't really give much of a push to the American banking system to sort its poo poo out.

Conversely it went the other way round here - most working class people didn't bother with current accounts until the 80s by which point electronic funds transfer was ubiquitous enough and people were used to being paid cash (and regulations prevented cheque transfers meaning the American chequ-cashing business never took off) that it was the path of least resistance to just make it free.

* A clever adaptation of the postal order/travelers cheque concept - pre-printed cash vouchers that were more or less forgery-proof, specifically designed to be carried on the Pony Express and then on train-borne post (hence the name), to allow remittance of money between families on the east coast and pioneers on the west at minimal cost and risk
** Invented the electronic transfer of money over the telegraph lines to beat American Express on both speed and security

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most working class people didn't bother with current accounts until the 80s because the GPO/Girobank offered a lot of 'close enough' services too though, not because everyone was exclusively using cash (although there was much more cash use).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A contractor we work with tested positive for the Big Ron. Sense of smell completely gone. My dad says he hasn't spoken to him face to face this week but my dad lies when the truth might make things awkward and I had to go over there to sort out - of all things - health and safety policies today.

Local community hospital full of it, the care home has apparently been evacuated to another hospital that's full of it. Hardly anyone wearing masks out on the streets.

At least my dentist cancelled by text this morning.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

josh04 posted:

Just Cause 2 leaned really hard into this for laughs, but it did feel like half the writing team wasn't in on the joke.

Best imo is Just Cause 3. Its better than 2 just in handling and traversing around the map, and poo poo loads to do. Its worse than 4, just niggling bugs and things missing from 3 just make it less. Still good to play, just not superior.
JC3 gave us an excellent cover of Firestarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAWgUN5y3U

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sassassin posted:

A contractor we work with tested positive for the Big Ron. Sense of smell completely gone. My dad says he hasn't spoken to him face to face this week but my dad lies when the truth might make things awkward and I had to go over there to sort out - of all things - health and safety policies today.

Local community hospital full of it, the care home has apparently been evacuated to another hospital that's full of it. Hardly anyone wearing masks out on the streets.

At least my dentist cancelled by text this morning.

You're in Wales right?
People on FB dissing Drakeford for bringing in strict measures again tomorrow night (pubs, restaurants to close at 6pm, no alcohol to be served.)
I just wish 'they' would strictly enforce mask wearing especially amongst the big gangs of teenagers gathering on every corner and sweeping down the high street en masse from about 3pm every afternoon.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

I assume it's the same as in Canada, i.e. completely loving backwards. We have "Interac" transfers here but that only goes up to $3000 - which admittedly is fine for most stuff but when you have say, a deposit on a rental, or want to buy a car or something then yeah it's physical cheque or bank draft only. Not only that you have to pay to get cheques, they're like a couple of dollars each.

Also Interac transfers are more of a faff - you have to enter a password then give that password to the other person and they have to enter it.

Also bank accounts are not free - $17/month for a current account (though they refund it if you keep the balance above $4k).

Oh and there's a weird unequivalence of debit and credit cards - most stuff like online payments is credit cards only. Similarly for weird random stuff like contactless parking meters - if you don't have a credit card you literally can't pay for some things.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

When they were deliberately breaking the US Post Office in the run-up to the election, I saw someone saying they were worried because they'd posted their rent check (sic) to their landlord in another state, and might get in trouble if it was late. I thought it was a joke, but then it wasn't.

It isn't. I had my rent check delayed in the post once by a single day or so and got an instant nastygram in the mail threatening eviction. I wasn't impressed.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Grey Hunter posted:

Looks back 80 years at the British Empire.

They don't.

Tbf the British Empire had two World Wars to give it that nudge, which I imagine helped. I don't see what's going to do that for the US. An outright war with China would do it (and despite an initial material advantage I think the Chinese would win assuming it didn't go nuclear), but no one actually wants that on either side beyond the fringe right. Total civil collapse does seem increasingly likely though, I guess.

WhatEvil posted:

I assume it's the same as in Canada, i.e. completely loving backwards. We have "Interac" transfers here but that only goes up to $3000 - which admittedly is fine for most stuff but when you have say, a deposit on a rental, or want to buy a car or something then yeah it's physical cheque or bank draft only. Not only that you have to pay to get cheques, they're like a couple of dollars each.

Also Interac transfers are more of a faff - you have to enter a password then give that password to the other person and they have to enter it.

Also bank accounts are not free - $17/month for a current account (though they refund it if you keep the balance above $4k).

Oh and there's a weird unequivalence of debit and credit cards - most stuff like online payments is credit cards only. Similarly for weird random stuff like contactless parking meters - if you don't have a credit card you literally can't pay for some things.

I claimed expenses for a conference in Canada once and instead of just sending me the money they insisted on posting a cheque that took weeks to arrive, and then I couldn't cash it because nationwide don't take foreign cheques apparently (very poor policy nationwide wtf)? Ended up having to open a new current account with RBS just to process the thing. Absolute pisstake for something that should have taken a few clicks.

When I was actually over there I had the classic experience of seeing a bottle of water for $1 in a shop and I took it over and handed the cashier exactly $1 and walked off only for her to look at me like dirt and yell after me. Ended up having to break another dollar to make up the few cents of tax I owed on top of the list price. This is undoubtedly one of my least favorite North American practices (away from all the genuinely horrible stuff anyway).

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 3, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You're in Wales right?
People on FB dissing Drakeford for bringing in strict measures again tomorrow night (pubs, restaurants to close at 6pm, no alcohol to be served.)
I just wish 'they' would strictly enforce mask wearing especially amongst the big gangs of teenagers gathering on every corner and sweeping down the high street en masse from about 3pm every afternoon.

Yes, Carmarthenshire. I drove past a high school as it was getting out on my way home and where about a month ago it was ~90% masks on I don't think more than half were bothering now.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

happyhippy posted:

JC3 gave us an excellent cover of Firestarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAWgUN5y3U

That's pretty good, not heard that one before.

This is my fave downtempo cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAWf21Mfc4w

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

WhatEvil posted:

The UK is fairly unusual (in the countries I know about) in having debit cards work like credit cards (e.g. you can use the 16-digit number on your Visa Debit to buy things from any site that takes Visa). Debit cards over here are different and more limited in what they can do.

This has an unfortunate side effect: most Dutch shops, even the biggest supermarkets, don't take credit cards, or things that function like credit cards (including UK debit cards), because they don't want to pay the processing fees - they only accept local debit cards, or ones from neighbouring countries that work the same. So when UK friends and family visit, we tell them to bring cash because none of their cards will work, and they laugh and say they're sure they will. Then we visit a cash point with them.

The giant MasterCard advert at Schiphol baggage claim doesn't help...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Most working class people didn't bother with current accounts until the 80s because the GPO/Girobank offered a lot of 'close enough' services too though, not because everyone was exclusively using cash (although there was much more cash use).

Both my parents were still paid cash (in official, printed envelopes!*) right up to the early 90s, my Dad only bothered to get a bank account when his new job gave him the option of a cheque, and only because a rash of payroll robberies had delayed him getting his wages a couple of times.

* I still have a couple kicking about, they had all the info you'd have on a payslip printed on the outside and a really hefty seal. Legend had it the details were on the envelope rather than a slip inside so the missus (who of course handled all the household expenses) would know how much you were spending in the pub on the way home on Friday night.

Electronic funds transfer of course put the people making up those envelopes, and a load of security van drivers, and a smaller amount of security van robbers, out of business. More tragically it deprived us of the best explanation of the mind of the Tory ever put in joke form:

Two blokes are walking down the street. One of them notices an envelope in the gutter and picks it up - it's a pay packet! He opens it up and there's 200 quid inside! His mate says to him "Cor, that's a bit of luck!". Looking at the packet, the bloke says "Lucky? LUCKY? Look at the loving tax I'm paying!"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bobstar posted:

The UK is fairly unusual (in the countries I know about) in having debit cards work like credit cards (e.g. you can use the 16-digit number on your Visa Debit to buy things from any site that takes Visa). Debit cards over here are different and more limited in what they can do.

This has an unfortunate side effect: most Dutch shops, even the biggest supermarkets, don't take credit cards, or things that function like credit cards (including UK debit cards), because they don't want to pay the processing fees - they only accept local debit cards, or ones from neighbouring countries that work the same. So when UK friends and family visit, we tell them to bring cash because none of their cards will work, and they laugh and say they're sure they will. Then we visit a cash point with them.

Transferwise is an extremely good thing to have for these situations, I've used it everywhere from Canada to China to the Netherlands without issue.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Bobstar posted:

Is it not just The Netherlands which is unusual in this respect? I've never encountered this problem before anywhere else in Europe that I've been to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

WhatEvil posted:

it's because the credit/debit confluence happened here later. you've been able to use debit cards like credit cards in the states for at least a couple of decades now.

also you should seriously get a new bank if you're getting charged $17/month. we don't pay anything like that and my account does not have a big balance in it.

additionally if you set up a specific email address as registered with interac payments for your bank, then you don't have to faff about with a password; any e-transfers sent to your email address will automatically be deposited in whatever account you've pre-arranged.