Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That'd work for migrating an existing install with saves, but for installing a new curseforge modpack it's much simpler: you just download it from the files tab on the website then create instance->import from zip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Thermal Dynamics pipes - Not even once.

Honourable mention to the fluid cows that were taking nearly 200k before the culling.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 1, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wait so Thermal Dynamics stuff is poop now?

I thought I'd dabble again with them to try to make some cryo-stabilized fluxducts. All the EnderIO machines went on a recurring explosion fenzy when they touched them. I found out it was some passive-aggressive thing EnderIO added to point out stuff violating Forge's RF API.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait so Thermal Dynamics stuff is poop now?

I thought I'd dabble again with them to try to make some cryo-stabilized fluxducts. All the EnderIO machines went on a recurring explosion fenzy when they touched them. I found out it was some passive-aggressive thing EnderIO added to point out stuff violating Forge's RF API.

Yea, I thought they were pretty good? Guess not!

That EIO thing is hilarious. Reminds me of their error messages in 1.7.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rynoto posted:

Thermal Dynamics pipes - Not even once.

Honourable mention to the fluid cows that were taking nearly 200k before the culling.

That report can be misleading. Often times it’s not the pipe that’s the problem — it’s the things they are attached to that causes the issue. This usually happens when the storage is full. Try things like voiding excess stuff or externally detecting that stuff is full and shutting down production before writing off the pipes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The non-item pipes seem to be fine in this diagnosis. The source of the tick loss seems to be caused by any of the itemducts getting backed up which can become very severe in large systems. It was a slideshow before I removed enough stuff to run laggoggles and try and find out what was happening.

E: It should be noted that EnderIO pipes seem to work fine in the same system as, presumably, they don't have the same problems of getting backed up.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 1, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If they were attached to garden cloches, then it's actually the garden cloches which were the problem. If they can't output to a pipe they try every tick or something.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

If they were attached to garden cloches, then it's actually the garden cloches which were the problem. If they can't output to a pipe they try every tick or something.

They would show up in LagGoggles as having a high tickrate % if that was the case.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Replacing everything with EIO pipes was easier than putting in shunts so :shrug:

In other news there's now a beta version of the skyblock variant of Sevtech: Ages - Here
Personally haven't tried it yet but it's from the same guy who made the original so should be interesting at least.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think there is something going on with the cryo-stabilized fluxducts though. I started from my save and suddenly had my large EIO capacitor bank draining. After a lot of fudging around, I replaced the connection to my Mekanism turbine from a cryo-stabilized fluxduct to a resonant one. That resonant fluxduct could then immediately plug into a cryo-stabilized one, but connecting directly was a no-go.

Beforehand, I was outputting something like 250 RF/tick from the turbine. I could see the effect on the capacitor's drain when I removed it from my power supply. Afterwards, the turbine was supplying 25,000 RF/tick. I believe that's the resonant fluxduct's limit, for what it's worth. Furthermore, that's pretty drat crazy for what is a hyper-glorified tree farm for power generation. The turbine's own buffer wasn't draining!

I'm guessing the problem is with the cryo-stabilized fluxduct's "infinite" carrying capacity. I'm guessing that's pissing everything off.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think the "cryo stablized flux duct" doesn't have a carrying capacity, just instant transmission. And that might have been confusing something somewhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Playing Gregtech New Horizons, and I forgot about one of the several bad points of 1.7.10.

Tissue paper boats. Every lily pad I drive over is like a land mine. Dismounting the boat is rolling the dice of boat fate. The waterway between my old base and where I'm making my new base is a graveyard, marked by 3 oak plank and 2 stick tombstones.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I decided to get back into playing Minecraft, and started off with the All of Fabric modpack. This had some really, really bad recipes. It actually removes recipes to make things harder. Like the AE2 Grindstone. No early dust for you!

So instead, I'm making my own modpack using the Fabric loader. I'm pretty happy with it - the combination of biome mods is great, and I've got most of the QoL things I enjoy.

I've been testing tech mods, and man, some of them are broken in the dumbest way. Tech Reborn is probably the worst - it's GT inspired, and it shows. If you just run this as your sole tech mod, you're in for a bad time. It require Nickel and Tungsten for progression, but does not generate ores. Not even a ore block in REI. :psyduck: Your only hope for progression is chests in the nether.

Industrial Revolution seems sane so far. Just wants various blends of Nikolite ore, which is plentiful, and sulfuric acid. And the recipes are fine, too, with recipes to ultimately quadruple your ore.

The one mod I'm missing is Big Reactors. I loved building reactors to power my tech and AE2 system. And it was fairly early game, too.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TwystNeko posted:

I decided to get back into playing Minecraft, and started off with the All of Fabric modpack. This had some really, really bad recipes. It actually removes recipes to make things harder. Like the AE2 Grindstone. No early dust for you!

So instead, I'm making my own modpack using the Fabric loader. I'm pretty happy with it - the combination of biome mods is great, and I've got most of the QoL things I enjoy.

I've been testing tech mods, and man, some of them are broken in the dumbest way. Tech Reborn is probably the worst - it's GT inspired, and it shows. If you just run this as your sole tech mod, you're in for a bad time. It require Nickel and Tungsten for progression, but does not generate ores. Not even a ore block in REI. :psyduck: Your only hope for progression is chests in the nether.

Industrial Revolution seems sane so far. Just wants various blends of Nikolite ore, which is plentiful, and sulfuric acid. And the recipes are fine, too, with recipes to ultimately quadruple your ore.

The one mod I'm missing is Big Reactors. I loved building reactors to power my tech and AE2 system. And it was fairly early game, too.

Tech Reborn is actually more like a brother to Gregtech than it is a descendant of it; they both draw heavily from (and TechReborn is really just a modern version of) IndustrialCraft, an early Minecraft Mod that's mostly fallen out of favor due to some interesting decisions like exploding machines/etc.

Oh, on the Nickle/Tungsten thing, make sure to search REI for dust for those to see if you're supposed to get it from processing OTHER ores, which is a common sort of idea these days (like Iron might contain nickle when pulverized, etc)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Rynoto posted:

Replacing everything with EIO pipes was easier than putting in shunts so :shrug:

In other news there's now a beta version of the skyblock variant of Sevtech: Ages - Here
Personally haven't tried it yet but it's from the same guy who made the original so should be interesting at least.

Well this is welcome news, my wife and I loved the original sevtech. We played it all the way up to where you needed to go into the twilight forest and then eventually stopped because of how frustrating that section is. I don't like that it's essentially an hours-long filler arc in what was otherwise a pretty steady progression. Were we doing something wrong or is it just a 10 hour excursion into a very fiddly area where your progression hits a brick wall?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

zimbomonkey posted:

Well this is welcome news, my wife and I loved the original sevtech. We played it all the way up to where you needed to go into the twilight forest and then eventually stopped because of how frustrating that section is. I don't like that it's essentially an hours-long filler arc in what was otherwise a pretty steady progression. Were we doing something wrong or is it just a 10 hour excursion into a very fiddly area where your progression hits a brick wall?

It wasn't too bad for me, but I cheesed the hell out of it by making the climbing gloves and using them to scale the lich building and the ur-ghast tower rather than fight inside of them.

I found the Betweenlands section much, much more frustrating.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
By the time you have access to those areas the climbing gloves (as mentioned) as well as the slime boots + slime sling are available which make quick work of both Betweenlands and Twilight Forest. There was also something innately funny about bouncing through adventure zones at high speed before slamming into a tower for the climb.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Never climb the ur-ghast tower legitimately. It is a terrible unfun slog that can in fact be impossible to complete legitimately because there might not be enough keys in chests.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It wasn't too bad for me, but I cheesed the hell out of it by making the climbing gloves and using them to scale the lich building and the ur-ghast tower rather than fight inside of them.

I found the Betweenlands section much, much more frustrating.

Maybe I had a bad spawn or just couldn't find the lich tower? I kept going towards big buildings only to be told I wasn't allowed to go there, struck by blindness, or reduced to half a heart of health for no apparent reason.

Twilight Forest might be my least favorite mod. By comparison, I was able to make it through the betweenlands relatively unscathed.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You need to go through the twilight forest bosses in order, starting with the naga (the giant snake). They give you trophies that stop the harder areas from instakilling you. It's been ages since I did the whole thing legitimately but I remember that there's a map you can build which shows you where all the different bosses are.

Also worth knowing that the big rounded hills are hollow and full of treasure (and other stuff).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

zimbomonkey posted:

Maybe I had a bad spawn or just couldn't find the lich tower? I kept going towards big buildings only to be told I wasn't allowed to go there, struck by blindness, or reduced to half a heart of health for no apparent reason.

Twilight Forest might be my least favorite mod. By comparison, I was able to make it through the betweenlands relatively unscathed.

The magic map helps a lot for TF progression. It shows you where stuff is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i got a lot of use out of botania's leaf helicopter sorta thing to scale structures in twilight forest

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Everything from TF is usually right there fairly clustered, using the map from the mod is the best way to find a lot of the stuff, I've missed things flying over that I spotted later on the map. (edit:double beat)
You can use the achievements page to see what you need to do next.
Betweenlands is a really nicely made mod that can be very frustrating to go through and pretty hard unless you either play it exactly as it's meant to be played or overly cheese it with other mod items. Some of the mobs do silly amounts of damage.
I still enjoy both it and Twilight forest though.
Usually I just like the nice change up in Twilight forest and all its same old expected mobs and mechanics as a break from the packs that include it. In a normal pack I usually only go far enough to grab some of the mini ghast and golem spawners from the tower though. Not much beyond that is worth it for most packs, sometimes the 2 bows from a little further in are worth it and the yeti armor isn't bad.

I'm playing Dimension Zero right now and I have to make a carminite reactor from TF to make an extreme reactor controller.

Depends fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 2, 2020

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

edit: on closer inspection I'm a big dumb idiot

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 3, 2020

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Ànyone have experience with unfucking Better Questing in GTNH?

Somehow, losing my internet connection caused the modpack to lose all my character data. Whatever, I can get the items back. But the questbook has completely reset. I've been trying to use the editor to manually complete the quests, but the "Complete Quest" button does absolutely nothing.

Worse still, it doesn't even seem to work if I try and complete things the usual way. The first quest is to pick up 8 dirt and no matter how much dirt I pick up it won't register, even if I click detect/submit.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
If you play without being logged in to authentication servers you'll get a random user ID that doesn't match what you were playing with before, therefore you're basically considered a new player joining the 'server'.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

If you play without being logged in to authentication servers you'll get a random user ID that doesn't match what you were playing with before, therefore you're basically considered a new player joining the 'server'.
Yep, solution is to restart when you're able to log back in. Or copy over the questbook files from one player profile to another, but that requires knowing where they are and it's been years since I knew that offhand.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Sadly it seems to have somehow overwritten my character data when I logged in while offline, since everything is still missing even after going online again. Which I could deal with, if not for the quest bullshit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can't log in while offline. The authentication servers do not work without a connection, and BQ uses the authentication servers.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Played it in offline mode, then. Whatever happened, it doesn't seem to be working now.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 3, 2020

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does GTHN run an auto backup mod? Can you restore from backup?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does GTHN run an auto backup mod? Can you restore from backup?

It does not, and has an information quest to give you some ideas on mods to install to do that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well if you're really truly logged in now and BQ still isn't showing you your quest progress then you should report that to the BQ dev.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Well if you're really truly logged in now and BQ still isn't showing you your quest progress then you should report that to the BQ dev.

For a 1.7.10 version? Yeah, good luck with that...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

For a 1.7.10 version? Yeah, good luck with that...

The 1.7 version is updated alongside the 1.12 version.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a beta 1.2.5 version?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Wonderin if there's still any hosted file of an old .jarmod for 1.8b

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've got an old desktop that might still have ancient mods kicking around somewhere. Is there an easy way to download sounds and such for unsupported minecraft versions, or are they still doomed to be silent forever?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
BQM has some mechanisms for re-coordinating quest data but I've not dealt with it between the client and the server. I know there's a bit of a song of a dance that you can do to, say, take a quest from an old save and impart it to the local mod's config. I did this after a an upgrade frenzy wrecked my quest book. I was able to transfer it to the pack's master config using some shell commands. That makes me think there's a few tricks for this kind of thing if you happen to have some version of the quest progress still saved on the server. However, that was for 1.12.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
More thermal dynamics fluxduct shenanigans: It looks like my Mekanism turbine won't output to a resonant fluxduct when first loading a save. I have to disconnect and reconnect it. I thought this might have been my problem with the cryo-stabilized fluxduct, but it didn't work transfer when I tried a fresh connection with it.

What's the super-high-RF alternative for this kind of thing? I think Mekanism has something that looks like it has a pretty high transfer rate, but I haven't tried it.