Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Could be worse. I told a guy he looked like ron jeremy

was he naked at the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

was he naked at the time?

...only from the waist up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Android Apocalypse posted:

Heck, I made a Christmas card that showcased these rascals last year:

The resemblance is uncanny.
A++ Boglins there

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

Heck, I made a Christmas card that showcased these rascals last year:

The resemblance is uncanny.

So does a mogwai reproduce when they drink, or just when they get wet? Does hot chocolate / eggnog count as a drink or as food? What about custard or gravy?

You're not getting away with raising a bunch of questions and just sidestepping giving answers just by virtue of putting it on an Xmas card, buddy.

That's an awesome card though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tight aspirations posted:

So does a mogwai reproduce when they drink, or just when they get wet? Does hot chocolate / eggnog count as a drink or as food? What about custard or gravy?

You're not getting away with raising a bunch of questions and just sidestepping giving answers just by virtue of putting it on an Xmas card, buddy.

That's an awesome card though.
What kind of humidity do you need to hit before air counts?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbjuelz/status/1334262723626995715

https://twitter.com/HumansNoContext/status/1334415524713943042

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Splicer posted:

What kind of humidity do you need to hit before air counts?

As a ten year old kid "after midnight" drove me BUGFUCKING IN SANE.

BUT WHEN DOES IT RESET THEN

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Pretty sure there’s a scene in Gremlins 2 where a guy asks these same questions and then is immediately attacked by a gremlin

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TiL that toddlers are just acting dumb for comedic purposes.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Everybody here not calling "baby Yoda" by his name is triggering me. This is erasure!

It's "Grogan" right?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Yep, Grogan.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Baby Yoda is a mogwai with mange. It's terribly sad.

Leave Scottish indie/noise bands alone, it's not their fault they have Vitamin D deficiencies from the climate and being the kind of person who would be in a Scottish indie/noise band.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

Pretty sure there’s a scene in Gremlins 2 where a guy asks these same questions and then is immediately attacked by a gremlin

It's one of the best scenes in a movie full of them. It's a whole room of people punching holes in the plot. Then a gremlin launches out of control panel somehow attacking people and you're right back in the movie.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo sent this out in 98.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The funniest thing about baby yoda is that they didn't have merchandise ready and in stores when the show started so disney had to scramble to get something out to placate the masses of nerds.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Guyver posted:

The funniest thing about baby yoda is that they didn't have merchandise ready and in stores when the show started so disney had to scramble to get something out to placate the masses of nerds.

they did this on purpose to preserve the surprise reveal of baby yoda, the guy who directs the mandalorian got this idea from a conversation with donald glover apparently

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

luxury handset posted:

they did this on purpose to preserve the surprise reveal of baby yoda, the guy who directs the mandalorian got this idea from a conversation with donald glover apparently

I can't believe that this is actually is true, because they managed to develop the BB8 toys is secret before the movies came out...

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Lodin posted:

GamemasterAnthony's Christmas

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dale-Taco posted:

I can't believe that this is actually is true, because they managed to develop the BB8 toys is secret before the movies came out...

its part of a deliberate shift in marketing strategy, that a big sudden reveal of something new is more profitable in the long run than than teasers and sneak peeks

quote:

When Disney+ launched Nov. 12, there were some technical glitches due to extraordinary demand. But the main story audiences were talking about was the reveal of Baby Yoda. Favreau had gotten the idea of keeping the character a secret from Donald Glover while working together on The Lion King. "We were talking about music and pop culture and he was saying that what people really like now is to be surprised, because it doesn't happen that much," Favreau says. "When Beyoncé did an album, she would just put it online and everybody would react to it. Just putting it out there spurred a conversation that would become more viral and bring more genuine attention than any marketing."

The Beyoncé strategy worked. Disney deliberately withheld The Child from marketing and merchandising plans, sacrificing holiday toy revenue so as not to spoil the revelation. But by the time the second episode hit the service, Baby Yoda was ubiquitous as a meme. The phenomenon that had been pioneered by Grumpy Cat took hold for Baby Yoda, as fans shared memes of Baby Yoda sipping from his tiny mug and Baby Yoda messing with the switches in a spaceship to play Lil Jon's "Get Low." By late November, Baby Yoda mentions were outpacing any of the Democratic presidential candidates on social media. On Saturday Night Live, Baby Yoda visited "Weekend Update" to talk about feeling "blessed" by his sudden fame. Disney has said it expects to amass 60 million to 90 million global subscribers for the service by 2025.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/baby-yoda-represents-past-present-future-hollywood-1263588

much cheaper and easier to get everyone on social media freaking out about baby yoda by dropping it out of the blue instead of a bombardment of ad buys and awareness

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Dec 3, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dale-Taco posted:

They were pushing BB8 in the trailers right from the start though, they weren't trying to keep that character secret so it's not the same situation. (They tried a similar thing with D-O in the lead up to Rise Of Skywalker but people didn't buy into that droid.)

There's been a lot of examples in recent years where movie spoilers leaked out because someone got an early photo of a Lego set or an action figure, like the Indominus Rex from Jurassic World.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Dale-Taco posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They were pushing BB8 in the trailers right from the start though, they weren't trying to keep that character secret so it's not the same situation. (They tried a similar thing with D-O in the lead up to Rise Of Skywalker but people didn't buy into that droid.)

Yeah, BB-8 wasn’t a secret at all. It was prominently shown from the very first teaser trailer, and that Sphero app controller toy that came out a few months before The Force Awakens was one of the most highly in demand toys during the holidays that year. The leak that happened was the action figure with Rey with a lightsaber hit shelves inside few stores (I think some Walmart’s) a week or so before the movie came out. Up to that point, that bit of the plot hadn’t been shown in trailers (I think just Finn with a lightsaber) and they were dated that they weren’t supposed to be put out for sale until after the opening weekend or something like that.

EDIT: pic tax

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Dec 3, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BB-8 wasn't a secret and was more or less the face of the Star Wars 7 marketing.

Not much was known about the plot of The Mandolorian and the Baby Yoda reveal was essentially the plot of the first episode. It was a pretty shrewd move because it ended up being a hit. Star Wars Lone Wolf & Cub is a really good hook.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Guyver posted:

In order to think that that's a mistake, you have to think that Disney missed out on merchandise income by not having the baby Yoda toys immediately available. Do you really think anyone lost interest in the time it took them to get the toys out?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you really want to hurt someone's feelings, tell them they smell like Ron Jeremy

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

You can't just post this and not tell me where to get it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

In order to think that that's a mistake, you have to think that Disney missed out on merchandise income by not having the baby Yoda toys immediately available. Do you really think anyone lost interest in the time it took them to get the toys out?
That doesn't actually track. You can think disney unintentionally didn't get toys out immediately for what was obviously going to be a popular character without thinking they missed any sales to the worthless nerds who would have bought them.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hey, maybe shut the gently caress up about minions or whatever and post some pictures.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

Everybody here not calling "baby Yoda" by his name is triggering me. This is erasure!

It's "Grogan" right?

Josh Grogan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Son Grogu

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Lodin posted:

why does young link have a stache and why are the starwars toys flying out of his scabbard.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

You can't just post this and not tell me where to get it.

I got it from some thread here like 5 years ago, according to the date I saved it. :shrug:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

snergle posted:

why does young link have a stache and why are the starwars toys flying out of his scabbard.

those are the creases of his smile, and they're looping around the tree

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wtf why can't Max go to the library?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Because Max is a stinky bastard man

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Doc Hawkins posted:

those are the creases of his smile, and they're looping around the tree

ok but why is the cat pokemon on fire.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

its part of a deliberate shift in marketing strategy, that a big sudden reveal of something new is more profitable in the long run than than teasers and sneak peeks

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/baby-yoda-represents-past-present-future-hollywood-1263588

much cheaper and easier to get everyone on social media freaking out about baby yoda by dropping it out of the blue instead of a bombardment of ad buys and awareness

Its still surprising Disney let that happen, I remember when Guardians of the Galaxy released and they were caught by surprise when everyone lost their minds on Baby Groot.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Wtf why can't Max go to the library?

We regret to inform you the cat is racist

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

snergle posted:

ok but why is the cat pokemon on fire.

well, he is being electrocuted

(the fire is in the fireplace behind the strange animal whose name i certainly don't know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why is Yoshi so hung over?