Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe there's something special about the Pi but bluetooth on Linux isn't that hard anymore.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Audio

You need the Bluez daemon to pair and connect to the device and then pulseaudio-bluetooth to wire it into the audio subsystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I got my very first Pi yesterday because I wanted a dedicated server for my Calibre library and that seemed like the easiest/cheapest option. I've got a Pi 4B with Raspbian on it, and I was thinking that since I got this thing just hanging out and not doing much 90% of the time, I may as well put some game emulators on there too. Everything I'm seeing is saying I would have to dual boot Noobs and RetroPie for that, but if I have to swap between OS's that defeat the purpose of an always on Calibre server. So I was wondering if I can install any emulators on Raspbian (or NOOBs if that works better) or if I can install Calibre on RetroPie. Basically, if I can run both off of one OS that way I can have Calibre running in the background while I'm playing games.

If not it's not the end of the world, I can just put the emulator on my PC, but I figure I got this cool little doohickey so I may as well see what I can do with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I usually use Docker for this sort of thing, but I’m not sure how good a fit it would be for the Pi. If memory serves I had a time and a half getting Calibre to cooperate in a Pi based docker container. You could try using a RetroPie image and doing a Calibre container in that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Retropie just sits on top, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to put it or whichever emulation solution on an existing raspbian/rpios install.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure RetroPie is just Raspbian with their software pre-installed, you could really go either way

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Some Goon posted:

Retropie just sits on top, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to put it or whichever emulation solution on an existing raspbian/rpios install.

Oh well that works out then. Everything I was looking at on google made it sound like I'd have to run two OS's. Well cool then, I'll give that a whirl later.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok this has got to be an easy fix but I can't find anything in google. I'm running Raspbian on a Pi4, and I have Portainer and Calibre running http servers that I can access remotely, but only when I'm on the same network. For example on Calibre if I start the server on my Pi everything works ok, and I can access the server from [url]http://[/url][MyIPAddress]:[PortNumber] on my phone when I'm on the wifi. But if I turn off the wifi on my phone, or try and use my computer at work, I go to the exact same address and it tells me "This site can't be reached. [IP Address] took too long to respond." I have the IP Address and Port Number set up for port forwarding through my router. I figure there's some command or something I need to run on my Pi, but I have exactly zero experience with Linux aside from tinkering with it the past three days.

Edit: If it's a router issue let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to fix that instead, but I don't think it is. I had a temporary Calibre server set up on my PC while I was waiting on my Pi and that worked remotely with the same port forwarding setup.

Edit x2: Ok I'm full of poo poo and I just tried to access my PC server to test it and now I'm getting the same thing. Yep mewse is right and this is totally a router issue. NEVERMIND.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 12, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Ok this has got to be an easy fix but I can't find anything in google. I'm running Raspbian on a Pi4, and I have Portainer and Calibre running http servers that I can access remotely, but only when I'm on the same network. For example on Calibre if I start the server on my Pi everything works ok, and I can access the server from [url]http://[/url][MyIPAddress]:[PortNumber] on my phone when I'm on the wifi. But if I turn off the wifi on my phone, or try and use my computer at work, I go to the exact same address and it tells me "This site can't be reached. [IP Address] took too long to respond." I figure there's some command or something I need to run on my Pi, but I have exactly zero experience with Linux aside from tinkering with it the past three days.

Your internal home network uses IP addresses that aren't publicly addressable. All the requests to the larger internet coming from your house appear as 1 IP address from your router/cablemodem. You'd have to look into port forwarding or some other config on the router in order to access the device from outside your home network. This isn't a PI specific thing, it's called NAT (network address translation) and it's because the world ran out of ipv4 internet addreses.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

mewse posted:

Your internal home network uses IP addresses that aren't publicly addressable. All the requests to the larger internet coming from your house appear as 1 IP address from your router/cablemodem. You'd have to look into port forwarding or some other config on the router in order to access the device from outside your home network. This isn't a PI specific thing, it's called NAT (network address translation) and it's because the world ran out of ipv4 internet addreses.

Yea, I just edited my last post about how I have port forwarding set up on my router. I forgot to add that in there initially. It still sounds like it's a router problem though, so I appreciate the heads up on that.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if you are wanting to access your calibre server running on docker you will need to set your router to expose you pi through some port. the 192.168.x.x address you are probably using is your local network address. the ip address to access your network from the outside will be different. also you need to set up docker to expose apps through specific ports as well.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Alternatively, install WireGuard and use a VPN to tunnel all your remote internet traffic back to your home network. This way you only have one open port on your router, and nobody can poke around on your hosted pages. Also saves you from setting up SSL and reverse proxies and all the recommended stuff you do when exposing a server to the internet.

The downside is the page wouldn’t technically be online. You couldn’t share a link to your hosted pages without giving someone access to your home network via WireGuard, but if it’s just for personal use a VPN will spare you a lot of security worries.

The process is pretty automated at this point: https://pivpn.io/

Also with your current setup, make sure you’re using your external IP when you try to reach the sites away from home. Google “what’s my ip” from home and it will spit you back your public address. It’ll be in a different range than 192.168.x.x. Use the address google gave you with your site’s port appended i.e. 20.564.34.66:8096 and as long as your port forwarding was done properly that should be all there is to it.

Sorry if you know how IPs work it just wasn’t clarified up until this point!!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Set up a pi 0 w for homebridge to connect 2 main things in my house that will never ever get HomeKit support and it was ezpz

Maybe one of these days I’ll get the keyboard one for my preschooler so she can relive my c64 memories except it’s just not the same feeling of your face in front of a tube vs a nice display panel

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tailscale.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Some Goon posted:

Wasn't the audio quality out of the 3.5 jack notably terrible on the pi anyways?

Has anyone used a HiFiBerry? I've read mixed reviews but it seems like a cool way to adapt the Pi for audio centric use cases.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

JHomer722 posted:

Has anyone used a HiFiBerry? I've read mixed reviews but it seems like a cool way to adapt the Pi for audio centric use cases.

Two people, like, four posts down from the post you quoted recommended them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JHomer722 posted:

I've got one of the cheap chinese clones of the Hifiberry Digi (labeled "PiFi Digi"), that one is digital spdif or optical out if you're connecting it to a home audio system. Works fine. But those seem to have dried up on amazon and now I only see them on aliexpress.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

xtal posted:

Maybe there's something special about the Pi but bluetooth on Linux isn't that hard anymore.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#Audio

You need the Bluez daemon to pair and connect to the device and then pulseaudio-bluetooth to wire it into the audio subsystem.

that's only useful if you don't mind poo poo quality. if you want to use bluetooth audio for something other than video conferencing, you'll also want the decent codecs, which as of a few months ago meant compiling them yourself.

Now there's at least some package repos, though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I got sick of dealing with Homeassistant being buggy and since I hate myself have been on an exiting journey to create a Softphone running through my PI, I have no idea what I’m doing but I have a working PDX server running on one pi so I think that’s the hardest step? We shall see

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can anybody give me a good summary of exactly what Vulkan finally arriving on RetroPie and similar emulation systems for the Pi will actually mean in practical terms?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rand Brittain posted:

Can anybody give me a good summary of exactly what Vulkan finally arriving on RetroPie and similar emulation systems for the Pi will actually mean in practical terms?

GameCube. Possibly also PS2.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I got my hands on an older home theater receiver that I'm adding modern functionality to and am looking to improve streaming audio functionality from my current solution of a Bluetooth adapter I found in a parking lot.

I realized that instead of spending $70 on one of these, I could probably use the Pi 3B+ that's sitting on top of my NAS doing PiHole and DNS duty with the added bonus of being able to bypass BT altogether for most functions by pulling music directly from the NAS or Spotify.

From what I gather I'm gonna need something like this to get decent audio out capability, since the base 3.5mm jack is garbage and a digital connection means my receiver can handle all the DAC stuff. I'm looking at stuff like Volumio, moOde, Pi MusicBox and balenaSound, but they all seem to provide full preconfigured SD card images instead of packages I can install. Is it possible to get something I can just install and keep my Pi as a DNS server (and a VPN server for when I eventually get around to moving that from my Asus router)?

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 29, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coxswain Balls posted:

From what I gather I'm gonna need something like this to get decent audio out capability, since the base 3.5mm jack is garbage and a digital connection means my receiver can handle all the DAC stuff. I'm looking at stuff like Volumio, moOde, Pi MusicBox and balenaSound

Since you want Bluetooth in to the Pi, volumio is something of a non-starter. It has that functionality, but it's locked behind subscribing to their service. I moved away from volumio because it was getting pushy about that stuff.

Moode can do it for free though, out of the box. That's what I'm using now, with a near-identical one of those chinesium Hifiberry Digi clone hats. One issue is that their standard distro does not use aptx audio, because it's a non-free patented codec. The generic bluetooth SBC codec can sound fine if both devices agree on a high bitrate, but that's not guaranteed. You can fix that by recompiling the bluetooth component.

As for combining that with pihole, it would be much easier to start with one of the audio pi images and add pihole to that rather than the other way around. Pihole is comparatively simple to install.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I saw your post on the subject earlier which is what made me lean away from Volumio to Moode. Bluetooth isn't a huge deal if I can have it pull music from other sources, but if I can get a low latency codec running that might be nice for when I'm playing SinoAlice since the soundtrack is awesome.

I'll pop it on another SD card to try it out with the 3.5mm jack for now, and if I like it I'll pick up that digital audio hat.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dear god. I've been trying to finish the last step of my pihole but I can't because my Arris AC3200P router seemingly has no place where I can change LAN DNS settings. I don't think it has a panel to change that inexplicability.

I've been googling and googling and spent like four hours now and I still have no idea.

Any ideas?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Dear god. I've been trying to finish the last step of my pihole but I can't because my Arris AC3200P router seemingly has no place where I can change LAN DNS settings. I don't think it has a panel to change that inexplicability.

I've been googling and googling and spent like four hours now and I still have no idea.

Any ideas?

From the PDF manual it looks like a very limited configuration router that can't manually set DNS options.

So your options are to get a better router, or manually point your devices at the pi-hole (easy for PCs, difficult for phones etc).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fuuuuuuck. Whole reason I bought this router instead of my ISPs one was specifically so I could do poo poo like this.

Any recommendations? Is there a thread for this stuff?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck. Whole reason I bought this router instead of my ISPs one was specifically so I could do poo poo like this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PiVPN is a relatively easy option for doing this on a device-by-device basis, friendly setup that plays nice with Pihole.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got Moode, Pihole and Unbound playing nice together using the instructions here. Really happy with it so far, but people are absolutely right about the built in DAC being noisy garbage. Hopefully I can run a coax SPDIF line from my Pi's usual location on the NAS to my sound system so I can keep it plugged in to the UPS, I think it'll be around 7 meters.

I haven't tried updating the Bluetooth codec yet so I'll give that a try next now that I know stuff is working the way it should. Also, is there a preferred MPD client for Android to control the thing? I know they're all about using a web browser, but I like being able to handle stuff from the notification shade. I'm using MALP right now but I'm wondering if there are any other ones worth checking out.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

If you want to avoid getting a new router for now, see if you can turn off the DHCP server in the router and you can use the one built into Pihole.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 1, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you want to avoid getting a new router for now, see if you can turn off the DHCP server in the router and you can use the one built into Pihole.

That's an option? poo poo I need to google that. Everyone else I've found with similar routers asking on reddit or whatever seems to have given up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How do I use Pi-hole’s built in DHCP server (and why would I want to)?

I haven't done it myself but that should have what you're looking for.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The HomeNet thread doesn't seem to like Asus routers very much (and I agree that asus routers are hella overpriced for their hardware value), but for people that do things like Pi networking stuff I wanna plug them for asuswrt-merlin. It provides a straightforward and relatively user-friendly way to get all linuxed up in your router. And since it's just modification of the standard asus firmware, it's more stable & less risky than tomato or whatever dd-wrt is these days.

My router runs a pi-hole like adblocker and an IRC portal for other internet chat services. And could be doing a whole bunch of other bullshit.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've got an old RT-N66U that's still trucking with the last supported Merlin firmware for it (or the LTS fork someone made, I can't remember), and it's never disappointed me. The proper VPN server was the main draw for me, and the only reason I'm considering offloading that to another device is because this past summer I had to reset it once or twice and the thing was pretty hot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm helping a friend set up an RPi (4, 2gb, jealous) as a little fileserver, Plex server and pihole. Maybe a torrent box thing as well if she needs that at some point.

I'm interested in the Overlay File System option in raspi-config so that she doesn't have to rebuild the thing after a random power failure.

It seems like this is what this fantastic tutorial does https://medium.com/@andreas.schallwig/how-to-make-your-raspberry-pi-file-system-read-only-raspbian-stretch-80c0f7be7353, but all in one option within raspi-config. If I hit this button on my completely unprepared RPi 3 that runs a vpn and pihole and stuff, what's going to happen? Will I be able to turn it off again from within raspi-config?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Microcenter finally has the pi400 in stock, only the full kit but I'd need the micro-hdmi cable and psu anyway. Put it on reserve for pickup.

I don't need this thing, someone talk me out of it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Microcenter finally has the pi400 in stock, only the full kit but I'd need the micro-hdmi cable and psu anyway. Put it on reserve for pickup.

Umm, you totally need that thing. And you need to report back here with how awesome it is once you have it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I don't have the disposable income, nor the time to check it out, nor the space to put it after I get bored. Buy it, review it, marvel over it, complain about it, put it in a drawer, forget about it, remember it, hook a security camera up to it to watch a bird feeder that's easily visible out a window, don't bother fixing it when it breaks. Do all these things on my behalf, amen.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Some Goon posted:

In times like this think of what a former boss of mine said when he was getting a cookie from a vending machine and someone said “You don’t really need that”
“No I don’t but I loving want it so gently caress off”
Wise words to live by.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Buy a rasperry pi so you can put it in a drawer for months and then give it away to someone else just to get rid of it, who will then put it in a drawer for months, until they finally run into someone who will do something useful with it.

That's how I got my pi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Y'all're a bad influence.

Anyways microcenter was packed, I'll go when they open tomorrow.