Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Trihugger posted:

I thought crit rate caps at 80%.
I meant to write 90% crit damage there my b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Zhong Li has the butt of a refined gentleman. It is subtle, but well sculpted. The volume of his cheeks do not thrust themselves upon the viewer, but instead invites onlookers to appreciate the well proportioned clefted flesh at their own leisure. It takes a true scholar of Liyue's culture to appreciate dat rear end.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

Again I totally get the "cool" factor well enough, but like to me I could play a given Tales game or any JRPG for that matter and there's probably some generically handsome character (maybe even with the same voice actor if you're into that sort of thing) with a story arc reasonably similar to Zhongli's in there that I could unlock simply by playing the game. That is my initial reaction to that sort of mentality.

If there's a non-gacha teambuilding elemental reaction game I'd like to know about it because Genshin is hitting some notes for me I'd not seen done so well before.

Swapping ice to water to electro to fire and watching all the havoc us just so fun. The only game I've played that comes close is Divinity Original Sin and that's turn based.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the game being live service is also a huge appeal to me vs. a one and done game, I'm already looking forward to Inazuma for the fresh exploration and that's months away.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is the first RPG I've played in decades that lets you make meaningful composition decisions and doesnt have a suck rear end combat system. Apparently that's all it took, who knew.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I would quit this game in a heartbeat for one that looks and plays just like it but without the predatory monetization and absurd grind. But this game also made 400 million dollars, so I suspect no one will ever make that game. :sigh:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

gandlethorpe posted:

Geo's synergy is limited completely to creating shields that may as well not do anything because the game's so easy right?

Not necessarily, just this past meteorite event showed that crowd control and shields can be helpful in a way that doesn't show up in a spreadsheet. Using things like Venti's ult to draw foes away from teammates cashing in or using Ningguang's E skill to prevent them from being sniped can be just as helpful if not more so than being able to immediately dps down enemies.

If the game's endgame only consists of who can perform a dps check a few seconds faster for the entirety of it's presumedly several year lifespan it's going to get awful boring.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nakar posted:

I would quit this game in a heartbeat for one that looks and plays just like it but without the predatory monetization and absurd grind. But this game also made 400 million dollars, so I suspect no one will ever make that game. :sigh:

I agree you in both respects.

You're absolutely correct about the latter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The thing is DPS check is non-degenerate compared to a lot of alternatives. Protect the monolith challenges are all pretty easy and are close to a DPS check but with some degenerate ult farming/healing phases at the end (and sometimes in the middle). I wouldn't be surprised if DPS check remains the predominant content because the design just works. What would make geo better is not being able to restart every three minutes when your toe grazes an ice cage.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm working on building up Keqing right now. I was told to go for a build that emphasizes her electro damage over her physical damage, so I'm assuming what I want is:

Weapon: Black Sword
Artifacts: Thundersoother 4pc build, HP/ATK/ATK%/Electro%/Crit DMG?

then pair her up with someone like XQ for reaction support, Bennett for healing and dmg support, and a VV user?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I like this game much better than Breath of the Wild to be honest. I've always preferred games where you control a party instead of just one character. And even Amber is cooler than Link.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Framboise posted:

So I'm working on building up Keqing right now. I was told to go for a build that emphasizes her electro damage over her physical damage, so I'm assuming what I want is:

then pair her up with someone like XQ for reaction support, Bennett for healing and dmg support, and a VV user?

Yeah you got the idea, 2pc thunderfury/2pc glad or 2pc thunderfury/2pc nobleisse (not as good if you're not playing her more as a switching burst support) also work fine. In reality you use whatever best drops you got after farming the thunder domain dozens of times.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Framboise posted:

Can't comment on the team building, but black sword and thundersoother are great on her. Lion's Roar is a solid alternative weapon.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Framboise posted:

Pretty much, but 2 Thundering Fury + 2 Gladiator is a more flexible build. Thundersoother doesn't work against e.g. slimes and other enemies with innate element auras. Can also run crit rate on the headpiece, it depends on your artifact substats - try to maintain a 1:2 crit rate:crit dmg ratio.

Physical Keqing is also quite viable, especially against enemies like Fatui and Treasure Hoarders that have innately negative physical resist, but I like electro more.

efb three times over

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i saw someone say the flute was good on her, is that a thing?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It was fine on her until the Black Sword came around. Crit substats are just ridiculously better than ATK substats (which is why the BP weapons are all so good).

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

a lot of incredibly bad characters in honkai ended up being really good when they added the boss time attack mode (especially because you had to fight 3 bosses and would thus need 3 teams.) just fighting regular enemies as it currently stands can't be much more than either vortex > aoe or exploit the element / weakness and then do single target damage. the boss time attacks were generally more interesting than abyss was just because a lot of fringe strats could clear bosses really quickly and used characters that were effectively useless in abyss.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I can't wait for 3 teams. I already have nine characters at 60 and want to stop feeling silly about it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

No Wave posted:

Probably the biggest overstatement in GI is complaining that electro is weak. Electro charged scales totally sufficiently for non-whale use cases so far. My level 70 Fischl with 80 EM with a mostly +16 4 piece TF set deals 1200 twice with electro charged and my Oz only crits at 2400 (90% crit rate).

My gear would have to be insanely better for fire on water vaporize to actually perform better. Like I would have to spend thousands of resin just farming TF for vaporize to actually perform equally, let alone better. I'd need + 60 crit rate and something like +100 crit damage to even reach parity. If I actually had stringless electro charge would be even more ahead.

Getting better gear (or specifically better artifacts, which is really what matters) is just a matter of time though. It's a very safe assumption that there will be powercreep moving forward and at least a reasonable assumption that most endgame content will continue to be on timers. That doesn't bode well for the (lack of) scaling on electrocharged/overload.

As far as I can tell this intentional design though - hydro/pyro/geo are the elements intended for elemental damage, while cryo and electro are more about their interaction with physical damage (e.g. shatter/superconduct), and anemo is kind of a meta-element.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think that's true. The conceptual design for electro is that you can deal small damage and still gain full reaction value - electro charged and overload and superconduct don't care about the size of the triggering hit but do care about EM. The idea that electro's main purpose is to serve the worst damage type, physical, due to one of its three reactions is offensive to me as an electro user.

It doesnt matter what planned future gear there is because the level cap would move as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 3, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm gonna have a bag of popcorn ready if they decide to make the first Dendro character a 5*. The reddit response when they aren't SSS Tier will be amazing.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Unless the character is literally a rip off of Groot or Treebeard, I will make an angry reddit post.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hu Tao/Yao Yao banner followed by Baizhu/who cares

so Yao Yao gets to set whatever weird expectations she wants to as first (4*) Dendro that may or may not completely warp response to Baizhu

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

No Wave posted:

Probably the biggest overstatement in GI is complaining that electro is weak. Electro charged scales totally sufficiently for non-whale use cases so far. My level 70 Fischl with 80 EM with a mostly +16 4 piece TF set deals 1200 twice with electro charged and my Oz only crits at 2400 (90% crit rate).

My gear would have to be insanely better for fire on water vaporize to actually perform better. Like I would have to spend thousands of resin just farming TF for vaporize to actually perform equally, let alone better. I'd need + 60 crit rate and something like +100 crit damage to even reach parity. If I actually had stringless electro charge would be even more ahead.

The BP is valuable because it's 9 pulls and a 4 star weapon for $10. The progression is a bonus.

Electro not being capped would hands down make it so that any electro water spammer with reaction based bonuses beat out Diluc by like 3x to 5x times. Even so, electrocharged/hydro-electro alone makes Diluc look weak by comparison if you have the right characters.

Look up my posts for Childe and Fischl, about how Fischl is absurdly powerful if you know how to rapidly build electro hits with a rapid water striker. Then factor in a character like Mona. Who, if perfectly timed can keep up a constant electrocharged state from electro-water for as long as Oz is out. Meaning you get so many numbers that you can't even tell what some of the damage amounts are.

As for Zhongli? He's okay. Not Diluc levels of good. However, I could be wrong about that since I don't have his final talent yet. What I have seen is him having very specialized support abilities that he's maybe top tier in at best. Which for how the game is currently built really doesn't seem to cut it.

I do stand by my point that he needs something for c0 more than what he currently has. His C1 is a game changer, and his C3 gives him immense group utility. This in of itself is extremely problematic, given the difficulty in even getting a five star character if you don't farm every day and always have the Moon's Blessing up. Odds are you'll at least have to skip one limited time character or more if you want to even have a 50% chance of getting a limited time 5 star character.

On top of that, while locking extremely valuable game mechanics behind constellations is fine for 4 stars it's downright unacceptable for 5 stars as the gacha rates currently stand. 5 stars are so expensive to get that it's downright criminal to do that with them. If this is the start of a trend it's probably time to start looking at a new game to get as a result. Since you're talking about anywhere from a $180+ dollar purchase to just get the character to as much as potentially $360-$500+ or more to get that basic functionality that the 3 or so constellation that many 4 stars (And Zhongli as a 5 star too, now.) have locked behind their constellations.

All that being said, i've seen some videos that suggest he's got insane spike DPS potential via his burst with certain builds. More than Mona or Diluc in fact. However, these are very niche builds and are useful in situations that currently don't really require them. Both the enemies and content currently on offer do not require this sort of build. Also, building content just to validate a character's current issues is kinda lovely from a design and consumer perspective.

Giving him back the ability to strip shields from every element instead of just Geo would fix literally all the problems with him and give all the people complaining a reason to stop and even be happy with him. I'd even go so far as to say that they'd get some Warframe style props from those folks, since it's fixing an error in the eyes of many people.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 3, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xalidur posted:

I like this game much better than Breath of the Wild to be honest. I've always preferred games where you control a party instead of just one character. And even Amber is cooler than Link.

Unless something significantly changes as i go forward its not even close to even the first few hours i spent with BoTW even if theres more story beats and quirky character stuff going on. The characters being more amusing at first glance than i was expecting is the main upside for me so far.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

No Wave posted:

I don't think that's true. The conceptual design for electro is that you can deal small damage and still gain full reaction value - electro charged and overload and superconduct don't care about the size of the triggering hit but do care about EM.
Yes, but what I'm saying is that doing okay damage with a small hit is only relevant now because it's so early on in the game's timeline and most of us are running around with a bunch of underleveled/undergeared characters. Future endgame content won't be doable with the kind of gear that makes electrocharged/overload seem like an okay tradeoff right now, is what I'm saying. Transformative reactions could hypothetically scale with attack speed/number of hits, but as the game has internal cooldowns on how often reactions can get triggered by the same skill, it seems this is not going to be a thing. Oz for example can only trigger reactions once or twice per target per cast, IIRC. EM is completely pointless on Fischl because of her ascension 4 passive too (triggering any reaction with anyone else will make her immediately reapply electro, so she'll basically never be the trigger).

Electrocharged is also still bugged AFAIK, the second hit doesn't trigger reliably. I believe it's been this way since launch.

No Wave posted:

The idea that electro's main purpose is to serve the worst damage type, physical, due to one of its three reactions is offensive to me as an electro user.

lmao

No Wave posted:

It doesnt matter what planned future gear there is because the level cap would move as well.
It does matter because the problem is still that you can't multiply the damage of transformative reactions with anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's like breath of the wild except it looks better, the music is better, your weapons dont break, the pickups arent all completely pointless, combat is fun, there are characters in the story and cooking isnt a giant pain in the rear end.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

TheFluff posted:

It does matter because the problem is still that you can't multiply the damage of transformative reactions with anything.

Not completely true, lowering RES works. Which is another point in Pyro's favor since VV makes all 3 of their reactions stronger, lol.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Electro charged scales with level and EM. You can multiply the damage by raising EM, VV, or leveling your characters.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I dumped a lot of resources into Chongyun because of the Popsicle Main gifs in this thread and I do not regret it at all. He is so fun and I was lucky enough to get his C1 out of the banner yesterday :3:

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

It's like breath of the wild except it looks better, the music is better, your weapons dont break, the pickups arent all completely pointless, combat is fun, there are characters in the story and cooking isnt a giant pain in the rear end.

I'll wait to judge completely until after I've explored more but so far on a point to point comparison with the first several hours of BoTW on the great plateau i just dont see or hear it on any point other than the weapons not breaking. The look and feel of how it contols just doesnt measure up in particular and there havent been any "wow" moment visual takes, but I've also heard that the Liyue Region is a substantial visual uptick. Though compared to the average mobile title its light years ahead on the gameplay right from the get go..... like totally different class of effort.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like this game but it never scratched the botw itch for me at all

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I think my biggest gripe with this game is the limited resources, because I want to level EVERYONE.

Chong looks super cool and I love claymores, but I also rolled Childe so I wanna play him, but my Ning is C3 and Baedou is bae, but that crazy Noelle shield and DEF build looks neat and...and...

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I got sucrose out of the regular banner so now I've got a lot of people I've seen heard really good things abut in this thread and it's stressing me out. How do I even begin to gather all these resources...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think people undervalue non-melt/vaporize reactions heavily and overrate melt/vaporize as if it's easy to consistently and frequently proc it on your highest damage hit. With transformative reactions, you can spam reactions to your heart's content and it'll add a set amount of damage every* time. However, in situations where it's difficult to control who applies the triggering element, you could end up losing tons of damage because it ended up using the underleveled character with 0 EM.

So a partial solution is to run Sucrose to make everyone's EM high :v:

Also, the great thing about shatter is that it uses the shatterer's EM rather than who triggered the freeze.

Corla Plankun posted:

I dumped a lot of resources into Chongyun because of the Popsicle Main gifs in this thread and I do not regret it at all. He is so fun and I was lucky enough to get his C1 out of the banner yesterday :3:

Grats on joining the cool club!

:cool: :coolfish: :coolslime: :coolzone: :waycool: :coolspot:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Electro scaled with EM perfectly keeps up with Melt/Vaporize reactions. It's just very few people are actually stacking EM with like Sucrose and its not as good as a video as Childe Diluc or Mona doing 100k.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

LEAKED POTENTIAL ARTIFACT SET FOR BOW USERS:

2 piece: bow aimed shot charge time decrease by 40%
4 piece: bow aimed shot when hitting weak spots increase crit damage by 100%

Amber mains rejoice

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wonder what that would look like with a C4 Diona during her burst

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
inject that and a hydro set straight into my veins mihoyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

No Wave posted:

Electro charged scales with level and EM. You can multiply the damage by raising EM, VV, or leveling your characters.

Level isn't a multiplier, it's increasing the base value. You've got me on the well-actually technically-correct definition of multiplier, but the point stands: what makes vaporize/melt scale is that they have more than one source of multiplicative numbers that you can raise independently of each other. Transformative reactions are level * (EM + set bonus from artifacts) * (1 - RES). You can raise EM or gain a max of a 1.4x bonus from VV. EM scaling is not linear, there's some degree of diminishing returns at very high EM values.

Melt/vaporize has these multipliers but also skill damage multiplier, crit damage multiplier, and elemental/other damage bonuses. All of these stack multiplicatively with each other, and this is the reason Mona/Childe can easily hit for several hundred thousand damage even without 5* weapons. Granted there's no real need for that kind of burst in current content, but what I'm saying is that in future content it will probably matter.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 3, 2020