Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

This has an unfortunate side effect: most Dutch shops, even the biggest supermarkets, don't take credit cards, or things that function like credit cards (including UK debit cards), because they don't want to pay the processing fees - they only accept local debit cards, or ones from neighbouring countries that work the same. So when UK friends and family visit, we tell them to bring cash because none of their cards will work, and they laugh and say they're sure they will. Then we visit a cash point with them.

The giant MasterCard advert at Schiphol baggage claim doesn't help...

Dutch cards are the cause of most random chargebacks for the company I work for.
Their banks just do not like sending money outside of the country.
The customer could be using us for every month for the last 10 years, then at random BAMMM! the bank denies and blocks us as we are 'suspicious'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ah, right on cue:

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1334482695599087623

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Dutch cards are the cause of most random chargebacks for the company I work for.
Their banks just do not like sending money outside of the country.
The customer could be using us for every month for the last 10 years, then at random BAMMM! the bank denies and blocks us as we are 'suspicious'.

Yeah I was wondering whether the Dutch really had a significant difference between credit and debit cart merchant fees (in the UK at least they're the same apart from in certain circumstances, mostly customer-not-present purchases) or whether on a national level they were like my old boss who refused to accept Barclaycard (even though it was just a Visa card so the charges were the same) because Barclaycard had a more-or-less standing policy of allowing customers to chargeback just about anything, and he had a tendency to make dissatisfied customers.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

SpicePro posted:

Is it not just The Netherlands which is unusual in this respect? I've never encountered this problem before anywhere else in Europe that I've been to.

I think it is, yes. Germany is famous for not liking cards and loving cash (hence the 500 Euro note), but even there I've paid in regular supermarkets with a Mastercard. There just seems to be a general agreement among Dutch shops that credit cards are silly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Cash heavy countries like Japan and Germany I find incredible, like in the former it's apparently common for people to carry enough money to cover any eventuality that day so sometimes walk around with near £1k worth of yen in notes on them. I can't even imagine doing that in the UK.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just doing Spitting Image but actually well might be the hardest comedy burn I've ever seen.

If this guy wasn't left wing he'd already have a TV show.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Cash heavy countries like Japan and Germany I find incredible, like in the former it's apparently common for people to carry enough money to cover any eventuality that day so sometimes walk around with near £1k worth of yen in notes on them. I can't even imagine doing that in the UK.

Anytime I've had over a grand in cash on me I become convinced that every passerby is gonna nut me and make off with the money. It's like being temporarily inside the mind of a fearful gammon

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, I remember that Japanese students coming over to Leeds had to have a pre-semester sit down chat; the major message being “hey don’t carry huge wads of cash everywhere”.

Talking about weird banking practices, when I lived over in Japan there were two things to get used to regarding paying for stuff. Basically nowhere accepted any form of card payment. Which usually wouldn’t be too hard to work around...except ATMs worked on business hours; better hope you got the cash out before 5pm otherwise you’re outta luck.

(There’s was deffo more a rural/urban split, with certain areas being much better than others)

From what I’ve heard, the past couple of years have been much better with the banks catching up on both of these.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mechanical mandible posted:

except ATMs worked on business hours; better hope you got the cash out before 5pm otherwise you’re outta luck.

In the late 90s I remember the rush to the ATMs before Friday 5-6pm as they wouldn't be restocked until the following Monday.
It would ruin your entire weekend if you couldn't get money out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, welp.

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1334579431378219008?s=21

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've definitely used my regular UK debit card in dutch supermarkets, websites and stores.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I used my debit card to withdraw some cash in Berlin at some ungodly hour years ago while on a stag do to get a lapdance, and the next day proceeded to try and get a new graphics card as my one had blown up before flying out, only for said debit card to be declined. When I got home, I found a letter from the bank, on a photocopied letterhead, saying that they had detected some unusual activity and suspended my card, which I guess withdrawing £100 at 4am on a Sunday in Germany would classify as. But still, to send the letter on a photocopied letterhead?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Maybe their printer was broken?

Also I see North Yorkshire are preparing for independence by testing their technological border solution and using their anpr cameras to stop cars from tier 3 areas incase they've nipped over the tier boundary for a pint and scotch egg.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

except ATMs worked on business hours; better hope you got the cash out before 5pm otherwise you’re outta luck.

I don't think they "get" ATMs.

Mind you given the very first ATMs in the UK were machines that dispensed cash if you inserted... a voucher that you had to buy in the bank, it's not like we are entirely flawless in that regard.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Before I went on my honeymoon I called Barclays to say "I'm going on holiday, *DON'T BLOCK MY SODDING CARD*" and they said "Ah no it's all automatic now, we won't block it! We promise!"...

I'm sure you can guess my tone when I had to ring them up from Bali.

Of course, they only blocked it after I'd been there a week... surely they could see that I had previously paid for plane tickets, that I had had transactions at the airport in the UK, at the airport in Singapore, and then in Bali for a week, whilst also making no transactions in the UK during that time.

Like, yes, I'm on holiday, my spending will be "unusual" for as long as I am on holiday.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 3, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Before I went on my honeymoon I called Barclays to say "I'm going on holiday, *DON'T BLOCK MY SODDING CARD*" and they said "Ah no it's all automatic now, we won't block it! We promise!"...

op, you could say, you... lol... you gave them a good BALIcking!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah, I've had that in Australia and Sri Lanka.
And, of course, the one time someone actually got my bank details and made a bunch of fraudulent payments in a different country, the bank didn't even notice.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

Like, yes, I'm on holiday, my spending will be "unusual" for as long as I am on holiday.
I got a card blocked the other day whilst doing some Christmas shopping online, when I spoke to them on the phone they were saying yeah, everyone's doing their Christmas shopping atm so most people are making a bunch of unusual transactions

Funny definition of "unusual" there

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

I got a card blocked the other day whilst doing some Christmas shopping online, when I spoke to them on the phone they were saying yeah, everyone's doing their Christmas shopping atm so most people are making a bunch of unusual transactions

Funny definition of "unusual" there

From the same school as "we are experiencing unusually high call volumes" every single time you call.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

op, you could say, you... lol... you gave them a good BALIcking!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

A ball licking? Didn't know it was that kind of honeymoon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What annoys me is that most of the banks / card companies have stopped you being able to put in travel details which surely could help claiming that you'd be able to use your card. I don't see why they don't let you do that anymore.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Keep your money in a fray bentos tin hidden in your bed frame and when you have to carry it around, fold the notes into tiny squares and secret them beneath your foreskin imo :manning:

i should have a slot on that martin lewis show i think

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose that is marginally more hygenic with polymer notes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They blocked my credit card when I drunkenly tried to add it to my Google pay app thing on my phone when I'd run out of money. Dunno how they knew I was drunk.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Talking about weird banking practices, when I lived over in Japan there were two things to get used to regarding paying for stuff. Basically nowhere accepted any form of card payment. Which usually wouldn’t be too hard to work around...except ATMs worked on business hours; better hope you got the cash out before 5pm otherwise you’re outta luck.

(There’s was deffo more a rural/urban split, with certain areas being much better than others)

From what I’ve heard, the past couple of years have been much better with the banks catching up on both of these.

That can't be remotely true for the busier parts of Tokyo, surely? If so I'm genuinely impressed lol.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

feedmegin posted:

Got any Squats? :corsair:

I have 1 or 2 knocking about in my box of early 90's gw crap.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

Keep your money in a fray bentos tin hidden in your bed frame and when you have to carry it around, fold the notes into tiny squares and secret them beneath your foreskin imo :manning:

This is anti-semetic

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They blocked my credit card when I drunkenly tried to add it to my Google pay app thing on my phone when I'd run out of money. Dunno how they knew I was drunk.
Probaly because you entered your pin as 'fuggin... iss godda 8 innit'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And if they have that technology why aren't they using it to do some real social good like blocking certain text messages from being sent at 2am?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is anti-semetic

I don't think it's anti-semitic but you have a point - i should check my prepuce privilege

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No it's anti semetic, it's prejudiced against tops.

Not to be confused with antisemantic, which is what you get when someone's being a smartarse, antisomatic, which is when you don't want to get off the sofa to go piss, and antisemiotic, which is what the british government was during world war 2.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 3, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1334543848333332482
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55162318

quote:

In each case, the business trips must result in a deal which creates or preserves 50 jobs or leads to a £100,000 investment or order, according to the Department for Transport.

"High-value business traveller" is a very depressing phrase, and I'm sure this won't be abused at all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What annoys me is that most of the banks / card companies have stopped you being able to put in travel details which surely could help claiming that you'd be able to use your card. I don't see why they don't let you do that anymore.

Can only guess to stop it being used in the country you 'cleared' it for to send money to somewhere else where it can't be claimed back.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Squeeze as much business in as possible before Brexit kills everything I guess.

If the deal turns out to be unsuccessful do you have to serve the quarantine period later?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

"High-value business traveller" is a very depressing phrase, and I'm sure this won't be abused at all.

I can absolutely see some fucker saying "If you make me go into quarantine I'll sack 50 people" as a way of getting around this. Then sacking them anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

This reminds me of a situation (which I've probably related ITT before) told to me by a urologist I used to work with. She was inspecting the tackle of a Dublin heroin enthusiast and found a SIM card stashed in his foreskin. Apocryphal? Perhaps, but she had no real reason to make up such a story, so I choose to believe

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

blunt posted:

They could have used half the syllables and simply said "Tory Donor".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

blunt posted:

Sneaksie way to get all the rich ex-pats back in before the wall goes up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

This reminds me of a situation (which I've probably related ITT before) told to me by a urologist I used to work with. She was inspecting the tackle of a Dublin heroin enthusiast and found a SIM card stashed in his foreskin. Apocryphal? Perhaps, but she had no real reason to make up such a story, so I choose to believe

It could have been a micro SD. Alternatively, he could have been born lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What is the relevance of 4am on the 5th? Like one dude's particular plane is due then? I hope its early.