Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

PRADA SLUT posted:

Throttling aside, the performance of the M1 MBA and Pro are identical (assuming the same core configuration), correct? Like they have the exact same SoC?

Assuming you get the version that has eight cores for the GPU then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only gaming I do on Mac are emulators and DOOM WADS and I haven’t seen any drops in performance from a 16” to a M1 Air. What kind of modern games do people play on macs?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hatty posted:

The only gaming I do on Mac are emulators and DOOM WADS and I haven’t seen any drops in performance from a 16” to a M1 Air. What kind of modern games do people play on macs?

CS: GO runs great on Macs, a good number of people play WoW, Guild Wars 2 actually works pretty well too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mediaphage posted:

i mean it's going to be better than your current system in pretty much all ways save for where it's basically the same. if that's worth the upgrade to you now vs waiting for some potential future upgrade then you should go for it.

I get that the specs are better in every way but since we're all Apple users we should know specs aren't everything. I'm sure whatever Samsung or Google or Erikson phone has cameras that bow the iPhone cameras out of the water, and Google probably has a way better and fully featured system integrated smart assistant. But those are just the specs and the user experience, for I assume most of us, are unmatched when it comes to iPhone hardware.

So I was mainly looking for people who have had an Intel MBP and switched to a M1 MBA with similar use cases. When I bought my MBP I didn't do the air because the 11" or 12" screen was impossibly tiny and IIRC they maxed out at 8GB RAM and had like an ancient Atom or i3 processor which would not have worked well with my use case. Now I'm looking at the M1 MBP (8 core GPU one) and spec for spec it's better than my existing 2018 MBP but like I said above, specs aren't everything.

My use case is primarily Office applications, Zoom/Skype/whatever, PyCharm, VSCode, Xcode, and I'd like to get back into playing WoW. I have no idea if the fanless MBA can do all of that especially WoW. Alternatively the M1 500GB MBP is $650 after trade-in so only $150 more but that gives pause.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can the M1 MBA replace my 2018 MBP? My MBP has 16 GB RAM and 500 GB SSD which is what I'd go for with the Air so no loss there. My MBP is the base model i5 2.3 GHz and from what I can tell the M1 blows it out of the water. Screen resolution and technology seems to be the same and I think the only thing I lose is the touchbar which I have literally never used in the 2 years I've owned this laptop. Going from 4 USB-C ports to 2 might be potentially an issue but I don't think I've ever needed more than 2 at once (but the option is nice of course).

I would use it for Office, PyCharm/VSCode/Xcode, and maybe get back into WoW. For the coding and gaming I'd probably plug it into a 24" or 27" 1080p/1200p monitor, nothing fancy.

Just wondering cause apparently Apple will give me a $750 trade-in for my MBP making the 500GB MBA $400. I looked on Swappa for other people selling my MBP model but they are listed by people with no pictures and no ratings and for $1100 and tbf I hate dealing with people trying to buy stuff from me. Oh and I have some scratches on the underside that I know for sure people are going to nitpick about and demand discounts on.

We're you already looking into upgrading your MBP? I think an M1 Mac would be able to replace your current laptop, and probably be better than your current laptop in most tasks, but your current laptop also seems like it still should be perfectly capable for what you do. Why not wait until next year when we're likely going to see a more "pro" M chip & GPU released, which for dev work and gaming might give you significantly more longevity than the M1 (and also that gives time for all the dev tools you may use to get properly ported to ARM, which might avoid some early adopter headaches).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kingnothing posted:

No so far. You need a display link adapter atm.

Can they still not multi-monitor through a TB3 dock?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FWIW, and just my personal presence, but most of my use case for my M1 MBP would be fully satisfied by the M1 MBA, but I do like to play WoW and a few other games, and I had noticed that people who were testing both the MBA and MBP were seeing frames steadily drop over time on the MBA due to throttling, while the MBP didn’t have that issue, probably due to the active cooling.

I honestly would have been fine when it, but I tend to keep my laptops for several years, and so paying the extra for the active cooling system didn’t seem like a big deal.

So far I’ve done a few sessions in WoW (Shadowlands) that went for 1-2 hours and I don’t think I’ve heard the fans come on at all, and the only time I have heard the fans come on so far was during a system update when I first opened it up. I’ve watched videos, used lovely Chrome, and other uses that caused my 2014 15” rMBP to ramp the fans fully up and nothing has gotten the fans to run so far.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Diablo 3 runs "fine" on my 16" intel with base GPU (5500?) and I havent even bothered trying to render at a lower resolution. It does make the thing turn into a jet engine though.

Factorio runs great and is a dream to play on the 16" (but it runs on anything) I think OOTP baseball runs now, I used to run it in a VM :haw:

But that may not really answer your question since Factorio is isometric and OOTP is a spreadsheet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Maxing out RAM and storage pushes the estimated delivery date back to late January for any of the M1 machines. That's absolutely wild to me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Splinter posted:

We're you already looking into upgrading your MBP? I think an M1 Mac would be able to replace your current laptop, and probably be better than your current laptop in most tasks, but your current laptop also seems like it still should be perfectly capable for what you do. Why not wait until next year when we're likely going to see a more "pro" M chip & GPU released, which for dev work and gaming might give you significantly more longevity than the M1 (and also that gives time for all the dev tools you may use to get properly ported to ARM, which might avoid some early adopter headaches).

It’s not that I was planning on updating anytime soon, but Safari runs like absolutely horseshit on my MBP and I don’t know why. It’s persisted through upgrade and clean installs. It works in general but the times that it doesn’t work or is just slow and unresponsive is really noticeable and makes me turn the drat thing off to finish up on my iPad because it seems to be a macOS issue. And considering Safari is like my 99% used all it Matters. Also I’m starting to have keyboard ghosting issues.

I guess my thought process was “oh hey I can trade this dumb machine and get a new one for $400 with iPd internals but can it run wow and pycharm?”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheMadMilkman posted:

Maxing out RAM and storage pushes the estimated delivery date back to late January for any of the M1 machines. That's absolutely wild to me.

"Future Proofing".

I doubt the Techtubers actually have that much reach, but every one of them I've watched recommended 16gb+512 minimum, regardless of what performance they showed in their own videos, or the intended use case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheMadMilkman posted:

They’re making them as fast as they can ship them out

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mister Facetious posted:

"Future Proofing".

I doubt the Techtubers actually have that much reach, but every one of them I've watched recommended 16gb+512 minimum, regardless of what performance they showed in their own videos, or the intended use case.

I got 16/512 in my late 2013 rMBP that I'm still typing this on and works great so I stand by the concept. The Apple Silicon performance has my interest piqued though so I think I'll update as soon as I can get something that has 32GB / 1TB.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

"Future Proofing".

I mean, I went for 16gb + 1tb for that reason, but I also tend to hold on to computers for 7ish years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, my Mini had 4gb when I bought it from Apple refurb, but I upgraded to 16, and it's only in the Catalina upgrade that it's been feeling extra sluggish (it reloads Discord tabs a lot, and I only have two of them pinned).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Nitrousoxide posted:

The ram being physically on the die DOES reduce the need somewhat. Being physically close to the places that need the stored data means that it takes less time to retrieve data onboard there, less powerful hardware is needed to successfully transmit the data to the ram for storage due to electrical losses from transmission distance. Less transmission time means slightly less of a ram buffer is needed to store pending calculation data.

No

- the DRAM isn't physically on the M1 die. It's standard LPDDR4x soldered to the M1 package

- M1 LPDDR4x runs at exactly the same bandwidth (4267 Mbps * 128 bits wide) that Intel supports in off-package mounted LPDDR4x in the 11th gen Core chips Apple would've put in the MBA and MBP13 if they hadn't switched to M1

- latency isn't any better because the time of flight of signals through the traces connecting DRAM to the processor is a negligible component of DRAM latency

- there may be slightly less power required to talk to the DRAM because the traces are short, but that doesn't translate into less memory use, just saves power

- "Less transmission time means slightly less of a ram buffer is needed to store pending calculation data." is a very conceptually confused sentence which is difficult to even respond to, but trust me it's very very wrong

(Mild apologies to mediaphage for my op overreaction but ideas like these are what's been spreading around the internet like wildfire and it's hard to stop them because most people just don't have the background in CS/EE to know any better)

quote:

Also, if designed for it, the fact that the GPU and CPU can call on the same pool of ram for the relevant data rather than having separate copies stored locally does mean that the overall system cpu + gpu ram needed would be lessened.

While true, the gain is that Apple doesn't need to include an extra set of DRAM chips just for the GPU. But those were never helping with how much main RAM you needed.

Also, all the computers Apple put the M1 into replace Intel machines which never had a discrete GPU with its own RAM in the first place. Apple UMA is better than Intel UMA, but there won't be a profound difference in memory use between the two.

(This is the area I mentioned where there's a chance for real savings in applications well-optimized for Metal and the M1 GPU. However, for now, most non-Apple apps aren't that, most will never be that since they don't call Metal in the first place, and it's very unlikely to move the needle enough that you could get away with an 8GB RAM config when you'd otherwise need 16GB.)

quote:

That said, I'm not at all confident that this reduction altogether reduces the need in a meaningful way to the end-user. I'm sure there is a real reduction but it's probably not much.

MacOS just, in general, being more aggressive in throwing older applications and data into the swap than windows is probably does a lot more than any physical proximity of the ram does to reducing the utilization.

If anything I'd say Windows is the more aggressive of the two when it comes to preemptively swapping stuff out. Windows swap management is weird and does dumb things because Windows.

Hello Spaceman posted:

i wonder if this memory on package architecture boosts the effectiveness of the memory compression introduced in mavericks. or if that tech was designed with this in mind (or allowed this to be a hardware optimisation)

Memory compression is completely orthogonal to all this. It's a part of the macOS kernel's VM subsystem which, when it's time to swap a page out, tries to keep it in RAM in compressed form instead. This helps reduce swapping out to disk, especially in circumstances where you only need a little more RAM than you physically have.

Compressed pages are still "swapped" in the sense that any process which attempts to read or write a compressed page will take the penalty of a page fault interrupt which invokes the VM system to bring the page back in a usable form. Decompressing it should be faster than reading it from disk, but it's still a form of paging AKA swapping.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
B&H has the Caldigit TS3 plus for $190 today, shipped, which is the lowest price I've seen ($10 below AMZ today even with coupon)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434943-REG/caldigit_500561_ts3_thunderbolt_3_docking.html/overview

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get that the specs are better in every way but since we're all Apple users we should know specs aren't everything. I'm sure whatever Samsung or Google or Erikson phone has cameras that bow the iPhone cameras out of the water, and Google probably has a way better and fully featured system integrated smart assistant. But those are just the specs and the user experience, for I assume most of us, are unmatched when it comes to iPhone hardware.

So I was mainly looking for people who have had an Intel MBP and switched to a M1 MBA with similar use cases. When I bought my MBP I didn't do the air because the 11" or 12" screen was impossibly tiny and IIRC they maxed out at 8GB RAM and had like an ancient Atom or i3 processor which would not have worked well with my use case. Now I'm looking at the M1 MBP (8 core GPU one) and spec for spec it's better than my existing 2018 MBP but like I said above, specs aren't everything.

My use case is primarily Office applications, Zoom/Skype/whatever, PyCharm, VSCode, Xcode, and I'd like to get back into playing WoW. I have no idea if the fanless MBA can do all of that especially WoW. Alternatively the M1 500GB MBP is $650 after trade-in so only $150 more but that gives pause.

i wasn't strictly speaking specs: i meant for the things you were suggesting the new one will do them either better in all ways or the same (e.g., screen) so if it's worth it to you to upgrade now for some general across the board improvements, you should. i mean, it's a new mac, it's faster than an old mac. do you want to upgrade? upgrade. the performance delta between the MBA and the MBP in this iteration is not that huge by all accounts, though the latter comes with better speakers and i guess the touchbar.

i was waiting to see if there have been any head-to-heads of the 7 vs 8 core gpu mbas. i've held out with my 2012 this long and use a desktop to supplement so i think i'm gonna wait for the new iteration of the fatbook pros but i'm still curious.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BobHoward posted:

No

- the DRAM isn't physically on the M1 die. It's standard LPDDR4x soldered to the M1 package

- M1 LPDDR4x runs at exactly the same bandwidth (4267 Mbps * 128 bits wide) that Intel supports in off-package mounted LPDDR4x in the 11th gen Core chips Apple would've put in the MBA and MBP13 if they hadn't switched to M1

- latency isn't any better because the time of flight of signals through the traces connecting DRAM to the processor is a negligible component of DRAM latency

- there may be slightly less power required to talk to the DRAM because the traces are short, but that doesn't translate into less memory use, just saves power

- "Less transmission time means slightly less of a ram buffer is needed to store pending calculation data." is a very conceptually confused sentence which is difficult to even respond to, but trust me it's very very wrong

(Mild apologies to mediaphage for my op overreaction but ideas like these are what's been spreading around the internet like wildfire and it's hard to stop them because most people just don't have the background in CS/EE to know any better)

While true, the gain is that Apple doesn't need to include an extra set of DRAM chips just for the GPU. But those were never helping with how much main RAM you needed.

Also, all the computers Apple put the M1 into replace Intel machines which never had a discrete GPU with its own RAM in the first place. Apple UMA is better than Intel UMA, but there won't be a profound difference in memory use between the two.

(This is the area I mentioned where there's a chance for real savings in applications well-optimized for Metal and the M1 GPU. However, for now, most non-Apple apps aren't that, most will never be that since they don't call Metal in the first place, and it's very unlikely to move the needle enough that you could get away with an 8GB RAM config when you'd otherwise need 16GB.)

If anything I'd say Windows is the more aggressive of the two when it comes to preemptively swapping stuff out. Windows swap management is weird and does dumb things because Windows.

Memory compression is completely orthogonal to all this. It's a part of the macOS kernel's VM subsystem which, when it's time to swap a page out, tries to keep it in RAM in compressed form instead. This helps reduce swapping out to disk, especially in circumstances where you only need a little more RAM than you physically have.

Compressed pages are still "swapped" in the sense that any process which attempts to read or write a compressed page will take the penalty of a page fault interrupt which invokes the VM system to bring the page back in a usable form. Decompressing it should be faster than reading it from disk, but it's still a form of paging AKA swapping.

Thank you for introducing sanity to the thread while it tried to convince a guy who held onto his previous machine for 7 years that he didn’t need 16GB of ram.

I get the “future proofing is stupid” mentality, but that extra couple 100$ could be the difference between like two or 3 OS generations in usability, never mind the video editing side.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Amazon may have gotten themselves a custom SKU.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kingnothing posted:

Thank you for introducing sanity to the thread while it tried to convince a guy who held onto his previous machine for 7 years that he didn’t need 16GB of ram.

I get the “future proofing is stupid” mentality, but that extra couple 100$ could be the difference between like two or 3 OS generations in usability, never mind the video editing side.

Yeah for real, I’m not gonna tell somebody whose expectation is to go 60%+ of a decade not to spec out or future proof

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

There are plenty of systems that don't have a viable M1 replacement yet. And it's not like Apple is going to forcibly remote-disable x86 macs. The M1 is very good and it'll have an impact on the desirability of current systems, but they won't be worthless and people don't need to run out to replace working computers.

The long-term price curve for the last x86 macs will be interesting to see. I'm guessing it'll fall off quickly at first but stick on a higher-than-you'd-expect price for the people who have to nurse along some obscure but vital piece of software that doesn't work quite right under Rosetta and won't ever see a port or replacement. G5 PowerMac towers are worth more than Mac Pros that are several years newer, and far faster and more power-efficient, because people have to keep their legacy software going.
I think the price curve for the machine I just sold (15" MBP 2015) is gonna be pretty awful though, since even the base Air trounces it in every way. That applies to the newer machines as well but I see your point about legacy software, I just think your notion applies more to the newer machines.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think the price curve for the machine I just sold (15" MBP 2015) is gonna be pretty awful though, since even the base Air trounces it in every way. That applies to the newer machines as well but I see your point about legacy software, I just think your notion applies more to the newer machines.

Yeah I could see there being extended demand for whatever ends up being the last top-ish spec Intel MBP/iMac/Mini/Pro, but prices for the older/slower Intel Macs probably won't be great.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
to be clear i wasn’t trying to convince anyone to buy or not buy anything. but threads and forums like this always tend to over recommend stuff often on gut feelings and they tend not to consider budget as all that important. savings is savings man, and it’s not $100 or whatever everywhere.

Splinter posted:

Yeah I could see there being extended demand for whatever ends up being the last top-ish spec Intel MBP/iMac/Mini/Pro, but prices for the older/slower Intel Macs probably won't be great.

i think as you say the last configs will go for the most but that’s not too surprising. i expect the intel macs to have some staying power in the used markets until there’s a sort of switch in consciousness as to what people are valuing in a mac.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

Amazon may have gotten themselves a custom SKU.

Interesting, I know they sell a 128gb M1 Macbook Air to higher education for $799 so they probably do have special SKUs for certain customers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kingnothing posted:

I was waiting for the other Bob to post as soon as I read what that guy wrote, pretending he knew what he was talking about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Possibly a dumb question but I haven’t seen it written anywhere yet.

How much ram is allocated to the GPU? Like with the Intel iris its 1.5 gigs or whatever.

Is it the same with the M1? Does it possibly scale if you have 16GB?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can anyone recommend a long-form article that talks about ARM architecture and it's advantages & disadvantages vs. x86?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

How much ram is allocated to the GPU? Like with the Intel iris its 1.5 gigs or whatever.

Is it the same with the M1? Does it possibly scale if you have 16GB?

I haven’t seen any testing on this, but my impression from the keynote and the fact that it games quite well leads me to believe it’s likely higher than 1.5.

terre packet posted:

Can anyone recommend a long-form article that talks about ARM architecture and it's advantages & disadvantages vs. x86?

I don’t think there’s really a huge point to making generalized comparisons to ARM vs x86 wrt M1. Since were talking about MacOS on Apple hardware, and the M1s are custom designed by Apple, they can basically build nearly whatever features they want into it.

There’s no one else building hardware and software with arm on this scale, and Apple has proved with the speed of their mobile processors that they’re basically silicone wizards. I mean, even in Rosetta translated apps these low spec M1 machines are loving current generation intel app for app in some cases.

The only thing I’d look at on a generalized scale is the lack of windows virtualization.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I would assume that memory allocation between CPU and GPU is dynamic based upon the application(s) running and what is needed for them, i.e. it isn't as simple as Intel's integrated graphics maxing out at some amount based on the total system memory available.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

FCKGW posted:

Interesting, I know they sell a 128gb M1 Macbook Air to higher education for $799 so they probably do have special SKUs for certain customers

:thunk:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's priced to compete with the Pixelbook Go and Surface Go, except it's vastly more capable at kicking their rear end.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It might be low cost retailer specific or Amazon specific cause it’s 128gb storage.

Apple doesn’t direct sell anything lower than 256gb@$899 (education) for the M1 airs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I was waiting for the other Bob to post as soon as I read what that guy wrote, pretending he knew what he was talking about.

I mean I didn't write any of that to make that dude feel bad. I don't think any of that was original to him, literally all of it's retelling of ideas I've seen circulating in other forums and youtube vids and whatever. If it isn't your field of expertise it's pretty easy to believe.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

There is no fixed allocation, the GPU can access the full physical address space. According to one of Apple's WWDC presentations, on Apple Silicon every device like the Apple GPU gets its own IOMMU. I presume this means that any time the system wants to share some data with the GPU, it just creates some GPU IOMMU page table entries to map it into the GPU's view of memory.

I think I've read before that in principle recent Iris GPUs can also see everything, but legacy concerns keep them stuck on defining a window of physical addresses visible to the GPU. I've never cared enough to learn exactly what's going on, it sounds like classic weird legacy PC architecture bullshit. (Or maybe Intel's weird reluctance to put real IOMMUs into consumer hardware.)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

BobHoward posted:

There is no fixed allocation, the GPU can access the full physical address space. According to one of Apple's WWDC presentations, on Apple Silicon every device like the Apple GPU gets its own IOMMU. I presume this means that any time the system wants to share some data with the GPU, it just creates some GPU IOMMU page table entries to map it into the GPU's view of memory.

I think I've read before that in principle recent Iris GPUs can also see everything, but legacy concerns keep them stuck on defining a window of physical addresses visible to the GPU. I've never cared enough to learn exactly what's going on, it sounds like classic weird legacy PC architecture bullshit. (Or maybe Intel's weird reluctance to put real IOMMUs into consumer hardware.)

Then an architecture question as you seem to be hot on that. While articles talk about the benefit of having unified memory because it reduces data duplication and the CPU and GPU can both process data in the same place, does this create a bottleneck in terms of access? Similar to my (possibly wrong) understanding of why there is separate data/instruction caches at L1?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

It might be low cost retailer specific or Amazon specific cause it’s 128gb storage.

Apple doesn’t direct sell anything lower than 256gb@$899 (education) for the M1 airs.
For the Mac mini I'd guess it might be available to all the server companies since they just use their own networked storage so the local space doesn't matter at all to them.

Sad Panda posted:

Then an architecture question as you seem to be hot on that. While articles talk about the benefit of having unified memory because it reduces data duplication and the CPU and GPU can both process data in the same place, does this create a bottleneck in terms of access? Similar to my (possibly wrong) understanding of why there is separate data/instruction caches at L1?
From my layman's understanding (which he'll rip apart I'm sure) the efficiency gains are from not having to transfer the data around as much and having a unified memory addressing model or something. I think there's other stuff around that applies the latter to traditional mixed/separate memory, if I understand correctly Nvidia has been working on something like it for a while, MS might be using some aspects for the new Xboxes (and coming to PC where capable), I think AMD has something too but not sure it's gotten any traction.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BobHoward posted:

I mean I didn't write any of that to make that dude feel bad. I don't think any of that was original to him, literally all of it's retelling of ideas I've seen circulating in other forums and youtube vids and whatever. If it isn't your field of expertise it's pretty easy to believe.

That's why it pays to be a realist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BobHoward posted:

Not man I don't feel bad about it. it seems like you know the stuff better than me and I was just relating what I have read from other people that I considered authorities. I don't have any personal expertise in the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So the “normal” education MacBook Air is just $100 off with the same specs as the $999 one?