Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I believe a flooded BMW is likely to end that winning streak

Well, if you think about it, bmws primary issues are with their cooling systems, so you just add some more water and you're good to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Hello thread!

Apparently my dad just bought a used 235!

Automatic!

Convertible!

Flood title car!

Copart makes dreams come true. :negative:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I believe a flooded BMW is likely to end that winning streak

HAHAHAHA apparently my dad discovered the car was just washed through copart. Dad ended up backing out of the deal, lost $500 in fees.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah definitely make sure the car is being sold by an insurance company and not a private seller. Private seller means they bought it at auction, gussied it up a bit and threw it back into the auction because it was too far gone.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The Youtuber WatchJRGo actually had a video out yesterday about buying an Audi A6 that was sold through Copart. It was auctioned as "without keys" and the person he bought it from, who bought it from Copart, said they went straight to the dealer, had a key made, and when they tried to start it they found the engine was seized. Evidently that's a thing people do with Copart, just running a car as "no keys" so there is no guarantee the thing even turns over.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIV29IGnp4o/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Quote this if you spotted it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I spotted my first chipmunk BMW on a backroad yesterday.

It doesn't look any better in person. That poo poo is awful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I drive by a BMW dealership every time I go to the store or pick up dinner (which is most days). Each evening I dread to see that lineup of grinning incisors leering at me.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Damnit, y'all

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What am I looking at.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Cojawfee posted:

What am I looking at.

I think the idea is that it's a m3 estate or some such. Probably won't make it to the states though?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

I think the idea is that it's a m3 estate or some such. Probably won't make it to the states though?

I initially thought 5 GT, but that doesn't make sense, so yeah an m3 WAGON makes more sense!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The M3 wagon has been confirmed for a hot minute.

Doubtful it makes it stateside though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
why not just a "regular" 330 wagon again if at all?

I mean....I don't see the appeal of an M3 wagon since most goons wanting an M3/M4 get one...the wagon part isn't holding them back, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Americans only want crossovers and SUVs. Ford killed off all of their cars except the mustang because people only want crossovers. BMW isn't going to spend the money to bring a wagon here just because a few people want one.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ford is even trying to get Mustang buyers to get crossovers by branding their electric crossover a "Mustang Mach-E", lmao.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The only people who want wagons are people who want a used manual wagon with the sport pack options for $10k. There's no market for new ones, at least not in the US.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The only people who want wagons are people who want a used manual wagon with the sport pack options for $10k. There's no market for new ones, at least not in the US.

I'd own an F81 M3 if that were a thing but just like with the one I bought it wouldn't have been new because that's too much loving money for me to spend on a car. So, yeah.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The M3 wagon is a stunt just like the RS6 Avant. They won’t sell barely any, it’s a halo car to build brand equity and get people like us excited and talking about BMW in a more favorable light than we are right now.

I predict we won’t see a regular 3 series wagon either, it costs so much to import, federalize, and deal every model.

They barely have room as is for the X1, X2, X3, X5, X5, X6, X7, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Z4, i3, iXwhatever, i8, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4 convertible, M8, M8 convertible, M8 Gran Coupe, X5M, X6M, X3M, and X4M. A wagon model is just too much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dealerships used to put a sports car in the show room to get you to buy a wagon. Now they put a wagon in the show room to get you to buy a sports car.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm so mad that we're in a situation where it's not too expensive to import and federalize 7 different crossover models but it is too expensive to do it for 1 wagon. I only need one!!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

The M3 wagon is a stunt just like the RS6 Avant. They won’t sell barely any, it’s a halo car to build brand equity and get people like us excited and talking about BMW in a more favorable light than we are right now.
Agreed on the Audi. But BMW will do it with the "Competition" pack on the regular coupe and sedans. Easier, and they'll be able to sell thousands instead of hundreds.

quote:

They barely have room as is for the X1, X2, X3, X5, X5, X6, X7, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Z4, i3, iXwhatever, i8, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4 convertible, M8, M8 convertible, M8 Gran Coupe, X5M, X6M, X3M, and X4M. A wagon model is just too much.
Holy poo poo that's a lot of models, I hadn't realized it'd gotten to that point. Are they still making the 5 Series GT?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Sup.

Edit: although I guess technically it was an “executive demo.”

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 4, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BMW already said it’s a “hard no” regarding bringing the M3 Touring to North America.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/rowlett-1996-bmw-m3-euro-spec-speed/7239370559.html

Is the price justified? No (maybe?) will it sell? Yes.

We can all agree it is very hot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

I'm so mad that we're in a situation where it's not too expensive to import and federalize 7 different crossover models but it is too expensive to do it for 1 wagon. I only need one!!

BMW makes their crossovers in the US.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/rowlett-1996-bmw-m3-euro-spec-speed/7239370559.html

Is the price justified? No (maybe?) will it sell? Yes.

We can all agree it is very hot.

Wonder why there’s no mileage listed?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cojawfee posted:

that doesn't have much to do with it. you still have to meet multiple standards in the same platform if you are going to sell in to multiple markets, regardless of where the vehicle is sold. OEMs have gotten smarter about harmonized design but there is always extra cost to get any vehicle to meet both FMVSS and the UN/EU standards.

you also have to go through the actual FMVSS cert process which involves destructive testing of cars among other things, which also costs money.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

Buy an E63 or RS6?

I would strongly consider one but they're ~30k over my budget so whelp.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

By fat Americans, for fat Americans. Does that mean there's a segment of tired middle age people in England and Germany clamoring for the X6M they can't have or something then?

And yea I'm glad there are some premium wagons, I don't work in tech tho so I'll just buy an F31 in a couple years and die mad about it

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We get the x6m and all that poo poo unfortunately.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BMW has gone all-in on over the top ugly and I hate the wheel but I love that they're making it.

It would work on a crazy hypercar.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

:hmmyes:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

M3 wagon with the trapezoidal exhaust. Fight me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

BMW has gone all-in on over the top ugly and I hate the wheel but I love that they're making it.

It would work on a crazy hypercar.

what is it? titrium?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's painted in Sao Paulo yellow, I think.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Not sure what you're talking about here, but I've spotted at least two RS6 Avant just walking around my neigbourhood this year and I'm sure people will buy the M3 Touring as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flightless greeb posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about this is that every combination needs to be individually certified. I know some of the M models actually have a unique unibody, but there are still other combinations where the drivetrain and unibody exist in a US-legal form but they won't sell us the pair and it's illegal to import it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank Mercedes for that

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

What did merc do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Invented the automobile motorcar which inevitably led to the current BMW Grille Situation?